View Poll Results: Would you personally take care to join a initiative to keep the MP services for older TW games alive (tournaments, mods like RS2, TATW, etc)

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I will join raise my voice and try to help

10 52.63%
  • No I will not those old games are obsolete

0 0%
  • I do not care

9 47.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamespy shutdown: Rome 1 and Medieval 2 saved officially. Both now support multiplayer via Steam

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Icon4 Gamespy shutdown: Rome 1 and Medieval 2 saved officially. Both now support multiplayer via Steam

Hi guys I just read a news that Gamespy will shutdown its services on the date given above
    (german news)
    http://www.computerbase.de/2014-04/g...reiche-spiele/

Reddit affected games:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...espy_shutdown/

Can anyone tell me what will happen to Rome 1 and Medieval in special regards? Will CA move the still very very active MP towards Steam, or is the multiplayer community then doomed?
    We could need an official statement from CA can anyone pass this question to the official totalwar.com please, I have no permissions to post there.

Many thanks!

I wrote an announcement on Steam meanwhile http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rom...98972211128335
    Last edited by alQamar; July 23, 2014 at 06:18 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Default Re: What will happen to Rome 1, Medieval 2 and Men of War etc after 31. May 2014?! Gamespy shuts down!

I am not sure if many people are aware of this course of events.

I hope that CA will move some servers over to steam like what Relic did for the original Company of Heroes but I fear that it is less likely in this case as, last time I was active, there wasn't a great deal of people on the multiplayer. There was still a few, mind you, but perhaps not enough in the minds of CA to warrant the moving of their MP servers to steam.

Forgive me for my technical ineptitude, but does M2 total war hotseat campaigns and all of that malarkey require gamespy in order to run properly?

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: What will happen to Rome 1, Medieval 2 and Men of War etc after 31. May 2014?! Gamespy shuts down!

I cannot tell you how M2 hotseat campaigns work. We could start one together and I could track down the network traffic to see if they use Gamespy servers for this too.
    So far I am only aware about the multiplayer battles and chat, will be very likely affected unless any wonder will happen (e.g. Steam buys them)
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

It's time to move on. There still is GR for Rome 1 though.
    炸鸡

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Never been a huge fan of multiplayer yet I feel it's my duty to help those whom are fans.

emotion_name's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Spaghetti View Post

Forgive me for my technical ineptitude, but does M2 total war hotseat campaigns and all of that malarkey require gamespy in order to run properly?
    No! Hotseats are essentially PBeM games (play by email), so instead of Gamespy you rely on whatever service you use to pass save files (assuming its multiple people on multiple computers)

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi lads, so after I've read that some game will be moved from Gamespy to other platforms and their multiplayer is kept operational, there are no news for Total War Games so far.
    The reaction here is also quite less so I don't think there will be any chance to put up a campaign for Rome 1 and other TW games multiplayer modes.
    As I have talked with some active Rome 1 players most of them will use the gameranger VPN network, one alternative to play the game via a virtual network in "LAN" mode while the normal multiplayer is forced to die.

Aside gameranger people from other regions may consider to use other similar platforms which the most prominent are:

tunngle
    Hamachi
    evolve

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

5 days to go. The Rome 1 lobby by yesterday was already nearly wiped / dead but was still functional.

so when it will shut down? Im sick of this pendency

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi Orphy, I do not know that. As told in the other thread (OP) I tested it and the game still uses IGN (Gamespy) servers. I sent a message to them but I haven't got a reply explaining the situation why - against all news - Rome 1 is still functional.
    Please consult the other thread for details.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Hi guys, I've downloaded MTW2 yesterday and it seems to be proven that the TW games published by Activision uses a different system than Medieval 2.

First of all Rome 1 MP still works but still uses IGN (gamespy) servers!
    Different to Rome 1 you need to login to Gamespy with your Gamespy account to play MTW2 in MP. if you check the site gamespyid.com the most services of Gamespy seem still to be online, as the websites are. But logging in does not work.

In a summary the shutdown of gamespy seems only being limited to shut down the logins, whle all other stuff is still operational, even it should not be.

I just played medieval 3 days ago. It worked fine.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Medival 2 you meant of course. You played it multiplayer via Gamespy so not choosing LAN in the game?
    Last edited by alQamar; July 19, 2014 at 10:13 AM.

both Gamespy and LAN

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

thanks for the reply. Now the situation is getting really strange.

1. Rome 1 MP is for sure functional, still using Gamespy servers
    2. Medieval 2 MP seems functional too
    3. the gamespy sites except, loggin in are functional aswell

so how much is the news of other games shutting down, also using Gamespy network, really worth. Here is a link to the original post of Gamespy itself.

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1227460p1.html

Icon5 Re: What will happen to Rome 1, Medieval 2 and Men of War etc after 31. May 2014?! Gamespy shuts down!

It's now 20/7/2014. I checked today, and RTW Online MP is still working, with about 20 players and 4 battles when I looked. However, for about a week I haven't been able to log into M2TW Online MP.

PS, my vote in the poll would be "yes", but for some reason I am not allowed to vote in it.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

I think the poll becomes quite senseless as the old Rome 1 / Medieval 2 MP already moved on or use VPN solutions.
    TWC is mostly a platform for TW fans being interested into the campaign and mods.

Generally, you may not vote on polls due to forum anti-spam restrictions, before you did not reach a certain amount of postings.

Thanks for telling me the news about Med2. It is strange we have contrary feedback in regard of MTW2 now. You and I cannot login any longer. Rome 1 still works but there are only remnants of players compared to the situation some months ago.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Breaking news:

CA now announced they ported the multiplayer of Rome 1 and Medival 2 towards Steam!

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...lable-on-Steam!
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...lable-on-Steam!

Given from their postings you can add your retail CD Keys to Steam now, so you do not have to rebuy a licence if you have a non Steam Version.
    If you have problems, please use the links to leave your reports there, please.
    Last edited by alQamar; July 23, 2014 at 06:22 AM.

Default Re: Gamespy shutdown: Rome 1 and Medieval 2 saved officially. Both now support multiplayer via Steam

so now you cant login to Online battle lobby with neither Rome or medieval if you have disk version right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast