Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Space Combat

UselessPoster's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Best Space Combat

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post
    But if you find out what game it was, please post it here, so that we can check it out.
    It will have to pop up sometime it was certainly the best space game i had seen its a shame i did not put the link in favorites.
    Q2 2015 ...

Time to go on a killing spree in HATRED .

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Speaking about the Mandate

If these guys can deliver, this might be my favourite upcoming game
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Is there a release date for The Mandate? I couldn't find one.

Its was projected as March 2015 during Kickstarter. But from the trends we see in Kickstarter projects I like to assume the worst. So I wont be surprised if it is heavily delayed to implement new stretch goals, then will eventually go to early access where it will spend an infinite amount of time charging more than its release price for the privilege of alpha testing. So may be 2016-2017, for something so ambitious... or they may go "it will be done when its done" road

But I sincerely hope makers of The Mandate prove me wrong.

The Alcotroll's Avatar Campidoctor
    The People's Democratic Republic of Lancashire.

Yeah, that looks pretty awesome, but if the recent history of space sim/rts games is anything to go by, then we shouldn't be getting our hopes up.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion with the 4X mod added on top of it is actually very entertaining, the mod adds so much needed complexity to all aspects of the game without going way over the top like other mods do. Other than that Nexus, Galactic Civilizations 2, Space Empire series, Imperium Galactica II are all very good space strategy centric games.

stoogeofstooges's Avatar Decanus

I'd check out Star Citizen. It's currently garnered more money than any other Kickstarter or Inidiegogo game.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

https://vimeo.com/73365240

In Space Empires you can build dyson spheres and ring worlds. Play it.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

One game I've been following is Predestination. It was succesfully kickstarted and should be out soon-ish. I think it looks quite good - I'm especially intrigued by planetary exploration and base-building. It seems like most 4x games set in space don't have you explore and build on the actual planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    In Space Empires you can build dyson spheres and ring worlds. Play it.
    I went and bought this. I actually followed it back when it was released, but it was too buggy to be worth buying. Things should be better now.

Quote Originally Posted by stoogeofstooges View Post
    I'd check out Star Citizen. It's currently garnered more money than any other Kickstarter or Inidiegogo game.
    I am more excited about Elite : Dangerous, simply because it seems to be a better choice for dynamic-world single player. But neither of them will have fleet control.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Star Wars - Empire at War + Forces of Corruption with the Awakening of the Rebellion mod. Epic!
    Republic at War is pretty fun too. But Empire at War was so amazing. Star Wars needs to quit the with making new games and release Empire at War 3. Thank god they're making Battlefront 3. Battlefront 2 had amazing space combat for its time.

The Mandate and Star Citizen both look amazing.

I went and bought this. I actually followed it back when it was released, but it was too buggy to be worth buying. Things should be better now.

I would recommend downloading Balance Mod for the game if you play it.
    http://www.captainkwok.net/balancemod.php
    It tech levels are a lot more intuitive among other things.

Found something fascinating in Kickstarter. Contact Vector.

Looks very much like a Combat Mission game in Space. Quite a bit like what I was praying for in my original post.

Found something fascinating in Kickstarter. Contact Vector.

Looks very much like a Combat Mission game in Space. Quite a bit like what I was praying for in my original post.
    That seems awesome - like the battles in David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series of books.

If you ever find violence doesn't solves anything, you haven't used enough.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    Star Wars - Empire at War + Forces of Corruption with the Awakening of the Rebellion mod. Epic!
    The best space combat game I have played so far is X3 Albion Prelude with Lucike's mods (adds many new autopilot functions with RPG elements to the game) and MARS (turret and drone script mod). The learning curve is steep, but no other game comes close to the X series.
    The new X Rebirth is nothing more than a subpar tech demo for the new engine and the competition isn't much better. Starpoint Gemini 2 is too arcadish for my tastes (buffs, perks etc.) and Star Citizen is still far from finished.

Space Engineers?
    Add Phoenix Rising to the mods for Empire at War. So much canon work put into it it's impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry X View Post
    Add Phoenix Rising to the mods for Empire at War. So much canon work put into it it's impressive.
    Nothing Star Wars is canon until it is shown in a film or TV show. Expanded universe doesn't exist as far as Lucas and Abrams are both concerned.

Nothing Star Wars is canon until it is shown in a film or TV show. Expanded universe doesn't exist as far as Lucas and Abrams are both concerned.
    Sad but true...

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I know what you are saying, but even if they strip out everything in the EU, it is still the most canon-accurate mode. And really, Lucas doesn't know about canon, even if he runs the damn thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

I'd recommend Sword of the Stars II (NOT the latest one).

Distant worlds (matrix game).
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Distant Worlds Universe is coming out in a few hours on Steam.

Now I like space 4x games, but something holds me back.
    I like loads of races, worlds, events, basically a galaxy filled to the brim and I like it when a game doesn't necessarily devolve into an exterminate all end phase (okay it's one of the x'es but shhhh). So those are big plusses for DWU as I reckon it ticks all of those off.

But I also like my UI intuitive, my graphics crisp and a game that eases me into the finer points of the deeper mechanics. And there it seems to be lacking I've heard.

So would you recommend it or not?

btw: SOTS II IS the latest one , so you mean SOTS (complete collection)
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast