Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [EB AAR] The Desert Sands ~ A Saba AAR

Default [EB AAR] The Desert Sands ~ A Saba AAR

Sabata, 270 BC

Greetings, traveler. I am Halik II Watar, son of Yalik II Watar, the ruler of this realm. You stand in Sabaean lands, a land of many riches, and it is from here that greatness can begin!

Never heard of us? I'm afraid that that's due to the sands of time being quite unkind to my people. It used to be that people would cross the desert at great length and expense, to obtain a piece of our goods, our wealth. You see, as well as being a land of spices, dates, and all manner of things other kingdoms desire, we are also the gateway to the far East. The Saba were, in that time, prosperous. We cultivated cities the envy of those further north, and while we never had an empire to rival the northerners', the tribes of the south formed a federation, with us at the head. Life was good.

Those times were ending. Our people relied on the caravans to bring wealth. The northerners discovered how to ply the ocean waves, and increasingly preferred those sea routes to our caravans. In addition, the great empires carved out by Cyrus and Alexander provided roads directly to the east, bypassing our lands. The federation fell apart, as the tribes squabbled. Eventually, we faded from history, forgotten in the midst of great conquests and empires.

But! Such portents do not need to be! We Saba, and all the peoples of the desert, are strong warriors; the desert has toughened us, made us the match of many. All we need is a leader. My father is content with what we have; for now, gold still flows through Maryab. This should not be! We did not, then, control Sabata, the very city that bears our name! We are capable of more. The other tribes no longer acknowledge any authority but force. But sufficient force will subdue even the most tenacious enemy.

Others in my tribe doubted my ability to take Sabata back. They outnumber you, they said. Their horses will chase you down, cut you to pieces, they said. I said, "Nothing a hail of arrows won't solve." They're quiet now.

For now, some rebuilding is in order. A federation doesn't stand on ruins. From here, who knows? The north is in chaos, thanks to Alexander's death. Perhaps this time, the sands of time will be kinder to Sabean glory. Almagah guide my steps.

------

(Yeah, I saw the other Saba AAR, but it hasn't updated in 2 years. So, let's do this!)

Default Re: [EB AAR] The Desert Sands ~ A Saba AAR

I wish I could write like that!
    +rep
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Love it! Eager to see more, and good faction choice too.

✠Ikaroqx✠'s Avatar Campidoctor

Great start! It's really interesting and unique to see an AAR based on a pre Islam Arabia, so hopefully this one will rise to greatness!
    Signature loading...

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Yes quite an interesting choice of faction! Good start! Just one suggestion, you may want to edit out the UI and don't have your unit selected in the screenshot. Doing this will add to the readers immersion.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Default The Desert Sands 02 ~ United We Stand

(Thanks for reading everyone! And also for the tip, Scottish King; I didn't catch it this time, but I'll try to do so in the future. I personally like leaving the banners in, but the other bits I agree. Sneaky cropping like the ones to follow go a long way, however. One of the problems with Rome 1 is that pausing puts a huge "Game Paused" icon in the middle of the screen, so the screenshots in the towns were taken while the units were actually moving. If there's a better way to do that, please let me know.

Also, you'll never see a difference, but this is technically a restarted campaign, now set to VH/M. I forgot that in Rome 1, Medium means the AI never does any expanding. So, now things may be more interesting!
    )

------

(Some maps for your viewing pleasure. The southern city in the second one is Ubar, I couldn't quite get both Ubar and Homna in the same screen.)

------

Tamane, 266 BC

Sons… sometimes, sons can be very trying. Yalik never was satisfied with how I rule the Saba. He goes on and on about how the Saba are warriors, that we deserve more than our lot, that we should claim what is ours by the spear and javelin. Such nonsense is foolish. Perhaps once our people were the warriors he claimed them to be, but the Saba are a family of traders, not warriors. Our kingdom is tame compared to the harshness of the desert.

It’s not that I don’t approve of Yalik reforming the tribal federation; I greatly appreciate that the Saba are welcome in Sabata once again, and I hope one day to make it our capital in the future. However, I’ve heard the tales of the northerners, of the Persians and the Macedonians. The Macedonians came, conquered, and left nothing but squabbling states behind them. The Persians, after their conquest, took the time to govern their satraps well. I’m afraid Yalik tries too hard to emulate the greatness of Alexander, while I, the unthanked father, am left the task to reorganize Sabata back into a governable form. There is no point in subjugating our fellow tribes so that hatred simmers. Yalik may be the glorious conqueror, but I negotiate the deals, work out compromises, form the bonds that will hold the fledgling federation together. Already I have arranged marriages to the people of Ma’in, to those Maka of Ubar that willingly accept us. These people of Tamane are seafarers unlike ourselves, and they pioneer the boats that will ply the ocean waves. Together, we stand strong.

------

Homna, 260 BC

The Maka are no more. They, a tribe to the east, had similar ambitions to my own, and had begun to form up their own alliance of tribes. Their men were said to be fierce warriors, every man capable in their own right.

Despite sallying forth into the desert, however, their men were no match for my own. They were wise ambushers, constantly retreating from my own men, but arrows and javelins kept them pinned down, and eventually we caught them. From then, it was only a matter of time before my spears slew them. Such events have shown me the importance of cavalry, as with even a few horsemen, we could have skewered them much more easily. But that is a matter for another time.

I have sent word back to Sabatea of my victory, and a request for a proper army to be raised. My men have served me well, but they are still a militia at best. We are capable of still more, if trained well. I already have plans for what next, but the fewer who know them, the less chance a secret can escape. So I’ll continue to ponder over it, and develop it, until the time is right.

------

Tamane, 260 BC

Perhaps I was mistaken about Yalik’s abilities, as a commander at least. Reclaiming the southern valleys for the Saba was one thing, but I did not expect him to succeed so well in the east. I am glad though that Tamane does not yet have its ships ready to go yet. My foolhardy son might have been motivated enough to cross the sea into Persia! Maybe; even he is not foolish enough to step over there yet. But that does leave the question of where exactly he is going to go now. Yalik requested a new army to be built at Maryab, and is not going to want to remain still for long. Other than Persia, which every kingdom in the north seems to want a slice of, the only other place Yalik could go is west, into the land of Axum. Yalik made use of some Ethiopian mercenaries in the first engagements against Tamane, so perhaps he will want to claim the territory as his own. However, if he were to succeed, such actions would draw the ire of Egypt. I fear that if we were to do that, even Yalik’s skills will not be enough to stave off ruin.

//

The boats- no, ships- are apparently based off Carthaginian designs some of the traders saw while in Alexandria. Supposedly they're well versed in the sailing arts. Bireme, Carthage, sails- Honestly, all the words these people use to refer to the boats goes way over my head; a Saba’s place is on the sand, not the sea. But they do seem to work, at least. They float.

------

(Fun fact: I looked at the Saba in the Divide et Impera wiki. Not counting artillery, they have only 8 different units in total. I've personally used maybe six units already, and these are the levy troops, mind you, not Saba's elite. They have more boats than land units! Now, I know DeI has priorities, but that means these are the base units in Rome 2, and that's just sad for any faction.)

Default Re: The Desert Sands 02 ~ United We Stand

I'm enjoyig this AAR very much, Observato. I really like the differing viewpoints of father and son -- makes for some interesting tension, and will perhaps lead to even greater conflicts in the future. Also, can't tell you how nice it is to see an AAR being written for good ol' EB 1. Keep up the great work.

Go Saba!
    Last edited by Cyprian2; April 11, 2014 at 09:39 PM.

Default Re: The Desert Sands 02 ~ United We Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Observato;13774019[I
    One of the problems with Rome 1 is that pausing puts a huge "Game Paused" icon in the middle of the screen, so the screenshots in the towns were taken while the units were actually moving. If there's a better way to do that, please let me know.[/I]
    On this topic, you can download a program called FRAPS that allows you to take in-game screenshots (i.e. without having to pause and save). Also, by pressing F12, you can save screens directly to your TGA folder, but this has never worked for me in Rome:TW. Mine are always black.
    Last edited by Cyprian2; April 11, 2014 at 09:47 PM.

Default Re: The Desert Sands 03 ~ Let the Hunt Begin

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    On this topic, you can download a program called FRAPS that allows you to take in-game screenshots (i.e. without having to pause and save). Also, by pressing F12, you can save screens directly to your TGA folder, but this has never worked for me in Rome:TW. Mine are always black.
    These are Fraps screenshots; the pause is so that I can get a nice cinematic shot.

------
    Carna, 255 BC

All the materials for our departure were set. The ships from Tamane were at the nearest shore, awaiting my command. We were to claim Axum, a small kingdom on the far side of the sea, in the name of Almagah. It was to be a glorious day! But such a day was not to be.

A scout from the tribe of Ma'in scampered into my encampment a day before we were to embark. "You must turn back, my lord!", he said. "Egyptian armies cross my tribe's lands even as we speak! Their ambitions know no bounds, and they wish to take Saba lands as their own!" They believed us to be simple sheep, to be herded as they commanded. They forget that my people are the shepherds, not the sheep. We will not bow to such insolence! They will learn their mistakes, and pay for them in blood!

//

Say what I may about the Egyptians, but they certainly have picked up on Alexander's tactics. They brought a few of their dreaded phalanxes with them, and while the rest of their men scattered into the desert, their phalanxes stood firm. My new Sabean army had newly armed warriors with the best we can afford (which is quite good, mind you), but in the end, that does not help against a bristling row of spikes. Arrows could not break them, and the spearmen took heavy losses no matter what side of the phalanx they engaged them. These men know how to fight in an organized style, and they know it. Even those soldiers that were not in phalanxes could stand up to my spearmen. However, once their allies were gone, javelins could pick the phalanxes apart. They are slow, and that gives my missiles an advantage they need.

It is good that we learn this now. Better to learn these lessons while still at home than abroad. If this is what Egypt fights like, I will gladly fight them. The invasion shall continue!

------

Maryab, 255 BC

What has he done? He's killed us all! Ptolomy will not show mercy!

Yalik Il Watar died later that year. He is succeeded by Halik Il Watar.

------

Axum, 249 BC

It has been some time since I have been able to consolidate my thoughts, but now, with Axum in our hands at last, I at last have some time to think.

The initial invasion at Ptolomais-Theron was undoubtedly successful; Egypt was not prepared for an attack this far south. However, the army bogged down in Theron for some time, as the people proved difficult to subdue, far more so than their brethren at Axum have been. Even with myself and the entire Sabean army present, these people loved the Egyptian way, and would not easily accept Almagah in their hearts. I can't blame them too much, since some of my overzealous men torched the city on arrival. A lot of time was spent messing with administrative affairs, things that tire me and have no place in the great conquest I am planning. Time spent there was time not moving on Axum, time for Egypt to mobilize an army down here. They haven't yet, but after so long it's only a matter of time. Egyptians don't forget.

Axum itself remained independent from Egypt, though from the ragged state of their defense against us, it was quite clear that these people had suffered many attacks. Their king remained to rally the defense, however, and so they stayed. I would have been inspired too, if my ruler rode on one of these great tusked beasts. I've heard tales of these animals, how they can rampage through lines and toss men like they were dolls. It seems like they would have proved those tales right, if I sent anyone to fight them on foot. So instead, we peppered them with arrows. They still took far more hits than we thought a living animal could take, but one by one, they fell. Once they did, the other ragtag slaves dispersed quietly. We claimed the city quietly, without any of the pillaging at Ptolomais-Theron. And how impressive Axum is! It's larger than even Maryab, and it is a fortress nestled in the mountains. Such a place will be a formidable place to assault, and to assault from. Their men also seemed to be better trained. At Theron, the best we could do is toss the locals a spear; they really have no clue how to do anything else. The Axumites are capable of the same javelin tactics we are, so we will train a few men in our ways.

I've pondered that battle with Egypt many times since then. I would never tell this to the men, but I realized that if we were to fight the Egyptians on "fair" terms, we would lose. The Egyptians are better trained, have better equipment, more money. They have the hated phalanx. Rumor has it they have these tusked beasts as well. I cannot contest them on equal ground, not if I expect to do anything meaningful. All I have is strategy, maneuvering. If we can constantly keep the Egyptians pressured without completely committing the army, I can win. If we get caught, we lose.

------

(The next update might take some time, while I try to figure out how to fight Egypt without dying horribly. I don't mind failure, but right now failure means I lose Halik's army, which is the only army I have and can afford right now. The problem is that I can't go so fast that I'm unsupported and the other cities rebel, but I also can't go too slowly, or Egypt forms up and I die. I've played this next section twice so far, and neither has gone great.)

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

I ran into the same problem when I played as Saba. I ran out of money to maintain a army big enough to meet any large force. I hope you have better luck than I have had. Good updates and nice use of FRAPS. You may want to consider entering in the MAARC here. Good job and keep up the good work!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Ach...you're doing well so far. In all honesty, I just used armies almost entirely of skirmishers backed up by a couple of hard-hitting units. Cash is an annoyance though, and may the Goids be with you! I look forward to the next update very much.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

You can press F5 or F7 (you can check in the settings) to get rid of the UI so you can get nice panoramics (sorta ).

You write well - I like that. Can you get more pictures of the fights too?
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

Hey all, sorry that it's been awhile. University things must take precedence, of course, but aside from that, I've not been motivated to play EB until recently. It crashes a LOT, and always during or after a huge battle. I can safely say that a turning point in the war against the Ptolomaioi will happen in the next post... and EB crashed during that siege. That tends to kill my motivation for the night.

@High Fist: I will certainly try. Battle shots tend to be a bit messier, but I can use more. Part of the problem is that most of what the Ptolomaioi have sent against me up until now has been Pantodapoi, Hellenic Native Sucktastic Spearmen- but I just realized that my last post was conquering independent Axum, so you have no clue what those look like. Wow, I'm further ahead than I thought. Guess I've been playing too much of a Baktria campaign where the Seleukids had the same unit.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

A very high quality AAR. Your standards of writing are much higher than mine, and while I shied away from Saba because of my difficulty with role playing Eastern Factions that aren't Greek, I see you took up the challenge. I love the pictures you put in, which I unfortunately can't. I think this AAr and mine are the only ones still running, so keep the fire burning!
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

"We will either find a way or make one." -Hannibal Barca

Default The Desert Sands 04 ~ A Decisive Fight

North of Ptolemais-Theron, 245 BC

“I want every fleeing coward’s head on a pike? You hear me? Every one! The road will be lined with the mark of their shame! I wanted this done yesterday! Move!”

I respect Mukkarib Yalik. All of us do, all of us that have seen combat. He landed here, at Ptolomais-Theron, and conquered inland all the way to Meroe, the capital of the Nubians. But Yalik is just one man. We cannot expect him to do everything. From what I’ve heard, Meroe has proven difficult to subdue. If Yalik tries to move anyone more than just himself, discontent stirs.

Karib Ya’nim realized this first, before any of us. He knew that a few small Ptolemaic armies roamed the desert looking for a chance to strike Ptolemais-Theron. The city was heavily garrisoned, but mostly with Pantodapoi, “Native Soldiers”. They’re what dregs we can pull from the city, hand them a spear and a simple shield, and call them “infantry”. In other words, they’re awful. Our own light infantry recently arrived from Maryab, and you can tell the difference from the Pantodapoi just by how they stand. Everyone, including Yalik, wrote them off as disposable and useless. Everyone, except Karib.

Karib clashed with a Ptolemaic army over a river crossing. The enemies brought elephants, the tusked beasts Yalik found at Axum and so much dreaded fighting. The much-hated pike phalanxes were present in force. Against this, Karib had brought some of our Light Infantry (blue robes), a few skirmishers, and mostly Pantodapoi. By all means, he should have been outmatched, and he could have been out on the open desert. Attempts to enrage the elephants with fire, as Yalik had done, did not succeed.

This was Karib’s attack, however, so the enemy was content to remain on the other side of the river, confident that this defensive position was too strong to fall. Karib did what no one expected: he ordered the Pantodapoi to rush the bridge. At the time, I was captain of one of the Light Infantry units, and I could see the fear in the Pantodapoi’s eyes when this order was given. “This is suicide!”, they must have thought. I certainly did. But Karib had other ideas. Once they were across, the Pantodapoi were ordered to get to the right, away from the elephants and into a few of their skirmishers. Many of them fled, but some of them were caught, as were some depleted infantry units that the enemy had left in reserve. Meanwhile, the Light Infantry began to cross the bridge. Karib now faced the enemy on two sides, and once this happens, victory is certain.

The enemy was tenacious, as always, and the conflict was still bloody. But their fate was sealed. I had never seen the Pantodapoi used so effectively on this scale, not by us or the Ptolemaioi. Karib was obviously a talented general, and could have been decisive in our war. The Ptolemaioi must have known this too; the next time Karib met them, they charged his unit directly with their strategous. Sabean swordsmen are good at many things, but defending against a cavalry charge is not one of them. It’s a shame such a man had to die in such an ignoble way. May Almagah preserve him.

That would be why I want these men’s heads on a pike. Luckily, when Karib promoted me, Murthid Ab, to his second-in-command, he taught me some of his tactics, and they have proved useful in chasing down the enemy. I took much pride in executing the strategous who slew Karib myself. But the ranks of Pantodapoi are depleting over time. For now, I must return to Ptolemais-Ther- … I return…

*thunk*

(God damn it. You were supposed to be great Murthid! Now you're relegated to governor of Theron now and forever! If you even manage to live...)
    ---

Meroe, 241 BC

I have stayed far too long in this city. My blood aches for the battle, for the glory of war. But I could not have left this city earlier. The people do not like us, even after many years. Even now, they still threaten rebellion.

That is not the only reason. I have heard rumors that a great Ptolemaic army marched down the Nile, into Nubia. One of my spies spotted them in the desert some years ago, clearly waiting for an opportunity to attack my army or the city. I did not offer them the chance, but I also could not move from the city. We were at an impass. Until now. The Ptolemaic army finally gave the order to attack and besieged Meroe. Our javelins once more proved their worth, as they are quite useful in a siege.

From the start, I could tell that these men were different. These were not the dregs of Egypt and Nubia that they had brought before. These were their elite infantry, with the best equipment money can buy. I am thankful that we are not fighting them as a phalanx; they would have been unstoppable.

I and Yusif, my son, personally guarded the gate. It was a brutal fight, but the Ptolemaioi had installed canisters of oil to drop on the heads of those who wished to invade the city. Much joy was had watching them burn.

They also brought some swordsmen with them, with strange shields that I have never seen before. They are not Egyptian, but whoever they are, they are damn good with their swords. They cut through several units as if they were not there.

Of course, the answer is always more javelins, but even that wasn’t enough. I had to personally intervene up there to finally put an end to them. On their corpses, we found that they had brought javelins of their own, but never used them. They must have been deliberately limiting themselves. The thought that they could do more still haunts me at night.

Now the task at hand is to rebuild the army. Unfortunately, at Meroe there are only Nubian spearmen. They were quite good at holding the line (for people with no armor, they held out quite a long time against the best the Ptolomies have to offer), but they don’t have the javelins I need. I’d need to import more from Axum.

If I ever see this damn city again, it'll be too soon.

------

(No matter the AAR, the Galatians always seem to find a way to wreck my . And my men. When their info card says that cavalry is the only good way to deal with them, they are not kidding!)

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Of course, the answer is always more javelins
    The only reason I ever play as Rome. Pila storm.

Amazing update, I like how you give the general a 'modern' touch while maintaining a historical approach. It helps me relate with him.
    "It is the part of the fool to say, I should not have thought." -Scipio Africanus

MUUUUUURTHIIIIIID!

I'm liking this, and glad you managed to get it back up too. Must say that things just get more and more interesting.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Finally back Scotsman? Sorry to sound bitter, but the Total War Eras AARs forum is dying without support. Even the mods don't reply as often. The only motivation people have is from encouragement, and I cannot be the only one around here who can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ownager View Post
    Finally back Scotsman? Sorry to sound bitter, but the Total War Eras AARs forum is dying without support. Even the mods don't reply as often. The only motivation people have is from encouragement, and I cannot be the only one around here who can do that.
    Back? I never leave! Less whining, Ownager, and more writing. Still waiting on the updates for your own AARs, so I can comment and rep you. Belive me, if I were not in New Zealand, I would be posting almost every day. So, just hold out until I get back...next year.

Ownager's Avatar Senator

Pointless rant.
    Last edited by Ownager; May 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast