Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: [Help Desk 1] Chivalry TW: Installation&Start Issues (Read First Post)

Default Re: Install + Start Issues - Read First Post

First, which version are you using... I'm assuming the latest (v.96). Are you sure you have correctly followed all installation instruction? Remember the mod should end up having its own folder in the RTW folder... it does not overwrite any 'vanilla' files... that is, it should not overwrite the 'vanilla' "data" folder.

If you're not sure what may be wrong, please try reinstalling the mod, and write out the steps that you take in doing it here if it still does not work. Also, please be more specific about the error, maybe take a screen-shot. Finally, if all else fails, the best remedy for unsolvable errors is usually just reinstalling RTW completely... but do this only if nothing else works.
    Chivalry - Total War I Settlement Plans and Buildings Dev...
    and Public Relations person, pm me with any specific questions concerning the mod...

Consilium Belli member

under the patronage of Sétanta

I have the same problem as Vevinr...

It says :Generic error:Couldn't read file descr_battle_lightning...."I don't remember it all but that should be enough information no ?

It didn't overwrite nothing, i sent it to the correct folder and I made the shortcut workable as the readme said (v.96)I tried reinstalling it already,same problem

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

My advice besides Drak's:

- Check your RTW/BI version under menu Options: it must be 1.5 for RTW exe or 1.6 if BI is installed and played with.
    Also, check out if you can still play RTW vanilla or just BI vanilla (without the Chiv installation), and then as well if Chiv is installed.

- Check your chivalry folder: is the install path exactly the one that is required?

- Did you check the shortcut path according to your install-path?

Find more detailled info in the first post here.

However, such error messages indicate probable a missing/working RTW 1.5 patch or BI 1.6 patch or a wrong placed chivalry folder.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 08, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I tried it all...still fails !

But I am suspicious about one thing:The normal path would be to program files/activision...mine is to programs/the creative assembly...and with the shortcut it was not only adding "-bi" to it.I had to change the path way...maybe I have to change it for all files/reinstall RTW and BI in that path ?

Patrician Artifex

Did you check the first post already
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I still don't get whats wrong...is it beacause it needs to be in program files ? :S

Patrician Artifex

Please give me once more your installation path of the chivalry folder (ie. open your chivalry directory and copy+paiste the path of the windows adress-line here), then i can give you the needed correct shortcut-path to start the game

C:\Programs\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\chivalry
    Hope thats it !

Mine is 'C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Chivalry\chivalry'

If you are going to make a shortcut, just copy the RTW or BI one.Then add lines like mine: "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Chivalry\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry

Or for you: "C:\Programs\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry

That should work no matter where your files are.

Patrician Artifex

Like he says

And if you don't know how to open the copied/paisted shortcut:

- Rightclick on the shortcut
    - Open properties
    - Add the line above he mentioned for you to the first editable line
    - Takeover/Close
    - Start the game with doubleclick

P.S. Important is though, that you make sure, you are applying the BI 1.6 patch version (open menu Options: there must be stated 1.6 in the right top position of the screen), as i know that a few Era's or gold version aren't patched to 1.6!

has the mod it's own mod folder ?

Yes, Chivalry has its own mod folder.

where can i go for play chiv ? There isn't shortcut in desktop

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Jim the great View Post
    where can i go for play chiv ? There isn't shortcut in desktop
    ...check the modfolder for the shortcut (who can read has an advantage: please check also the stickied "Rel/DL + Mod Info Topic" for the Game Start explanations).

Hello,
    I've recently installed CTW and haven't been able to get past one second on the loading screen. I downloaded everything that was required, ensured I had the correct version of RTW, 1.5, (I have the Gold Edition if that matters) and I still come up with the same error. My target is "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry
    And my start in is "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War"

When I load the game it says
    Generic Error:
    Could not read file 'data/descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt'

I've uninstalled CTW numerous times and reinstalled it. I've also uninstalled everything related to RTW and reinstalled it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Patrician Artifex

Welcome

My target is "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry
    And my start in is "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War"
    This cannot work

The solution should be very simple ... try this for the shortcut:

My target is "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry
    And my start in is "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War"
    ... presuming, you have installed the chivalry modfolder in:
    C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War

Or see first post once more, it says:
    Paths: Installation, Directory and Start of Chivalry regarding RTW Gold or Era's Pack Versions (both versions are patched to RTW 1.5 and BI 1.6 already, but check it out via the Options menu first)

The install target path is here by default:

The completed directory path is here then by default: (after the installation)
    C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\chivalry

The shortcut-path is here by default:
    "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:chivalry
    (first line)
    and
    (second line)
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 20, 2008 at 01:20 AM.

Alright, I've fixed the problem you mentioned but now when I start CTW it goes to the loading screen for a couple seconds longer and then I get,

Error: Filename doesn't exist: chivalry/data/models_engine/MTW_catapult.CAS

and

Error: Filename doesn't exist:chivalry/data/models_engine/MTW_siege_organ_gun.CAS

and

Error: Filename doesn't exist: chivalry/data/models_engine/trebuchet.CAS

and

Error: Filname doesn't exist: chivalry/data/models_engine/MTW_catapult.CAS

and finally

Error creating engine outlines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Patrician Artifex

Please look through the thread "help! error" ... that happened 1 or 2 days ago, and now he can play.

Bah, this just doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks for all your help but I give up. Judging by all the screenshots I've seen this mod looks great. Keep up the good work.

Patrician Artifex

:hmmm:

Perhaps you have one of the seldom Gold/Era Packs, that weren't proper patched to RTW 1.5/BI 1.6 ?

Your errors mean, that your installation/directory paths aren't okay.

Eventually also check once more under your RTW menu-point Options, if there is "1.5" diplayed, or for BI, "1.6". And again, before installing a mod, check if you RTW vanilla runs perfect witjout issues, then install a modfolder.

And last attempt, show us a screenshot of your RTW directory ... displaying the windows adress line, of course, and all the folders of the RTW directory.