Thread: Just really don't know what to do anymore

Default Just really don't know what to do anymore

Well, so far I have had to re install ETW two times, and still haven't been able to play ACW. I am getting very frustrated and would like the help of an ADMIN. Really just don't have any motivation to play this mod anymore. I was very eager to play this mod, and over the course of a full week and a half of investigation and posting, I still haven't been able to play the mod. Really am not impressed with the "help" I have so far received. I have posted twice already, this is my third. I have posted in the Technical Issues forum, and the main ACW forum, and yet still no ADMIN reply. Thinking about just giving up this mod and going to find another Civil War mod. To the creators of this mod I wish that in your next change to the mod, you give better "instructions" on how to install the mod and what steps you need to take because some people like me have little to no knowledge of computer file locations and setting up files.

It is very disappointing to see this mod and not being able to play it. I just don't think all the stress and frustration is worth it.

- Five

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Just really don't know what to do anymore

1. First of all, you may feel you're entitled to tech support from us, but really you're not. We're just a couple of guys making a mod, not a company wiht paid tech support, and we answer on the forum when we have time, when we're not modding or dealing with our real lives and not just whenever someone feels we need to answer urgently.

2. Secondly, RollTide answered you pretty quickly, and he knows pretty much as much about the installation issues as any of us do, so I'd trust his advice just fine, no need for an "admin" to be answering you.

3. Thirdly, "I wish that in your next change to the mod, you give better "instructions" on how to install the mod"

---> Sticky: ACW Mod Installation Instructions <--- how much more obvious can we make it?

4. And lastly, if you "Really just don't have any motivation to play this mod anymore.", why are you asking for help then? Sorry if I'm a bit pissy about this, but if 95% of people can figure out how to install by reading the forum, and if RollTide took time to try to help you with your trouble, well then you could have also tried a bit harder to fix things, instead of coming here all upset and complaining.
    Last edited by Trig; April 04, 2014 at 05:13 PM.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Quote Originally Posted by Five View Post
    Well, so far I have had to re install ETW two times, and still haven't been able to play ACW. I am getting very frustrated and would like the help of an ADMIN. Really just don't have any motivation to play this mod anymore. I was very eager to play this mod, and over the course of a full week and a half of investigation and posting, I still haven't been able to play the mod. Really am not impressed with the "help" I have so far received. I have posted twice already, this is my third. I have posted in the Technical Issues forum, and the main ACW forum, and yet still no ADMIN reply. Thinking about just giving up this mod and going to find another Civil War mod. To the creators of this mod I wish that in your next change to the mod, you give better "instructions" on how to install the mod and what steps you need to take because some people like me have little to no knowledge of computer file locations and setting up files.

It is very disappointing to see this mod and not being able to play it. I just don't think all the stress and frustration is worth it.

- Five
    I'm partly sorry Five, that error you showed earlier I really have no idea about, I've seen it but once, Maybe. I really wish I could help more, but I can't. The only thing I can think of that might be weird is your 2 hard drives, but that really shouldn't have anything to do with it. Did you do anything that alters from the instructions even slightly, if so, please inform me. Also, instead of reinstalling ETW try "verifying the game cache" option in steam, just go to properties. This really is an excellent mod, and it would be a shame if we lost a fan over this one mishap.
    -RollTide

I have followed the instructions accurately, and the problem now is that ETW will not start up, it gave me that error that I showed you. I will try to verify the game cache.

Thanks again.

-Five

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    1. First of all, you may feel you're entitled to tech support from us, but really you're not. We're just a couple of guys making a mod, not a company wiht paid tech support, and we answer on the forum when we have time, when we're not modding or dealing with our real lives and not just whenever someone feels we need to answer urgently.

2. Secondly, RollTide answered you pretty quickly, and he knows pretty much as much about the installation issues as any of us do, so I'd trust his advice just fine, no need for an "admin" to be answering you.

3. Thirdly, "I wish that in your next change to the mod, you give better "instructions" on how to install the mod"

---> Sticky: ACW Mod Installation Instructions <--- how much more obvious can we make it?

4. And lastly, if you "Really just don't have any motivation to play this mod anymore.", why are you asking for help then? Sorry if I'm a bit pissy about this, but if 95% of people can figure out how to install by reading the forum, and if RollTide took time to try to help you with your trouble, well then you could have also tried a bit harder to fix things, instead of coming here all upset and complaining.
    First of all "you could have tried a bit harder to fix things". I'm sorry but if reinstalling ETW 4 consecutive times is not trying hard to fix things, than I am not sure what "trying hard" is. The point that I was trying to make was that this mod looked great, and also I was getting very frustrated with it and I didn't think it was worth it. I am not complaining, I am just looking for help from someone who is decent with files and computer science. I mean honestly, if you can make a mod, than I am almost positive you can help someone out who does not have even the slightest knowledge of computers. Wasn't trying to complain, and so far RollTide has been the only helpful person, and he is not even a moderator. That is all I was trying to say.

Thanks I guess,

Five

If ETW vanilla doesn't start after you've been launching ACW, it's because one of the ZoR files doesn't get removed by the launcher once you click "vanilla ready". Remove bg_boot_zor.pack from the data folder manually and ETW should launch.

If ACW doesn't start and crashes on launch, it is probably because you haven't launched Steam manually first. If the launcher initialises Steam, then launches game, it will crash. No idea why, likely Steam issue.

Once it crashes like this, it will likely crash on any subsequent attempt. Restart computer. Manually launch Steam, thenlaunch the ACW launcher. That always fixes it for me.
    Last edited by Trig; April 05, 2014 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    If ETW vanilla doesn't start after you've been launching ACW, it's because one of the ZoR files doesn't get removed by the launcher once you click "vanilla ready". Remove bg_boot_zor.pack from the data folder manually and ETW should launch.

If ACW doesn't start and crashes on launch, it is probably because you haven't launched Steam manually first. If the launcher initialises Steam, then launches game, it will crash. No idea why, likely Steam issue.

Once it crashes like this, it will likely crash on any subsequent attempt. Restart computer. Manually launch Steam, thenlaunch the ACW launcher. That always fixes it for me.
    Well guys, I tried it again, did everything that you guys told me to do. Still does not work. Really just not sure what to do and getting really frusrated with this. I guess I just wont be able to play, sorry about wasting your time.

Well guys, I tried it again, did everything that you guys told me to do. Still does not work. Really just not sure what to do and getting really frusrated with this. I guess I just wont be able to play, sorry about wasting your time.
    Be got a question for you, where is the steam folder located, as in, where does it go Steam/steamapps/common/empire? I noticed in your first screenshot it just jumps to steam library. Which isn't in the installation path. This might be the issue.

Default Just really don't know what to do anymore

Trig, can you delete my 2nd to last post? (Not counting this one).

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide990 View Post
    Be got a question for you, where is the steam folder located, as in, where does it go Steam/steamapps/common/empire? I noticed in your first screenshot it just jumps to steam library. Which isn't in the installation path. This might be the issue.
    I'm going to start downloading ETW again, but this time I'm going to install it under my other hard drive because that seems to be the one that the path tells me to take. I will post a full installation process when ETW finishes installing.

I appreciate your help RollTide,

-Five

Quick question, do I have to download the 3.4 and 3.4.1 patches? If so where do I put those files?

Thanks,

-Five

Quick question, do I have to download the 3.4 and 3.4.1 patches? If so where do I put those files?

Thanks,

-Five
    Okay, so you've got 3.4 downloaded, I've honestly never downloaded 3.4.1, and it's always worked for me, next set up 3.4, than download Subs Power for submods, setup, than Zor, set up, and Voila! It should work.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide990 View Post
    Okay, so you've got 3.4 downloaded, I've honestly never downloaded 3.4.1, and it's always worked for me, next set up 3.4, than download Subs Power for submods, setup, than Zor, set up, and Voila! It should work.
    Well, I finally got the mod working mostly thanks to RollTide and a forum user named Wolves In The Throne Room who gave an overall better installation instructions than the mod instructions itself. I HIGHLY recommend that you set up these instructions rather than the ones you guys have currently.

The instructions:
    This is what I did for anyone having issues (feel free to copy this and repost).
    1. Deleted ETW via steam and physically deleted ETW folder (had saved my TAR rar so re-installation of that is simple too)
    2. Re-installed ETW (I'd already purchased Warpath long ago, all DLC you have auto installs)
    3. Installed ACW 3.4
    4. Opened 3.4.1 patch rar and copied files directly into the main ETW data folder
    5. Installed 3.5
    6. Installed SubPower
    7. Installed ACW music mod
    8. I'd backed up the smoke and musket sound mods I used and copied those back into main data folder (musket mod isn't overwriting ACW sounds though?)
    9. Opened steam as admin
    10. Ran ACW desktop shortcut as admin
    11. Used 'check file' all good
    12. Edited user script to add my two mods
    13. Selected warpath and selected ZoR submod
    14. Started game, no problems

So far it is a great mod, but I noticed that my Graphics Card was being worked really hard for some reason even when I was on Low setting. Was wondering if anyone knew why this was happening?

Thanks to RollTide and the poster that gave those instructions!

-Five

Well, I finally got the mod working mostly thanks to RollTide and a forum user named Wolves In The Throne Room who gave an overall better installation instructions than the mod instructions itself. I HIGHLY recommend that you set up these instructions rather than the ones you guys have currently.

The instructions:
    This is what I did for anyone having issues (feel free to copy this and repost).
    1. Deleted ETW via steam and physically deleted ETW folder (had saved my TAR rar so re-installation of that is simple too)
    2. Re-installed ETW (I'd already purchased Warpath long ago, all DLC you have auto installs)
    3. Installed ACW 3.4
    4. Opened 3.4.1 patch rar and copied files directly into the main ETW data folder
    5. Installed 3.5
    6. Installed SubPower
    7. Installed ACW music mod
    8. I'd backed up the smoke and musket sound mods I used and copied those back into main data folder (musket mod isn't overwriting ACW sounds though?)
    9. Opened steam as admin
    10. Ran ACW desktop shortcut as admin
    11. Used 'check file' all good
    12. Edited user script to add my two mods
    13. Selected warpath and selected ZoR submod
    14. Started game, no problems

So far it is a great mod, but I noticed that my Graphics Card was being worked really hard for some reason even when I was on Low setting. Was wondering if anyone knew why this was happening?

Thanks to RollTide and the poster that gave those instructions!

-Five
    You're very welcome Five, glad that it all worked out. Have Fun.
    -RollTide

Ok, glad you got it working.

*thread closed*