Thread: VERY slow!

Indefinitely Banned

Default VERY slow!

I was playing BF4 about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I had a decent day round wise until my last round. It was laggy as one could be. The next day I went on it was still really laggy and the computer started to lag. Now, I can't play BF4 at all and my computer can not even run the internet at full speed. I only use 2 tabs and I can notice a bit of a slow down. My computer is only 4 months old. It has 8GB of RAM and a AMD Radeon HD8570D Graphics card. Any help!?

Default Re: VERY slow!

Go into system properties or device manager to see if it still says that you have all the ram/video card/CPU ratings you should have - in case one of the ram sticks has broken.
    As it is only 4 months old I doubt this would be a problem but just try to defrag your PC for good measure.

Go to speedtest and test your speed. Try to compare them when your speeds are good vs bad. If you are on DSL, then it could be as simple as your neighbors being on the internet with you.

Indefinitely Banned

Speed is pretty good it looks like. I don't see anything wrong with the RAM or the CPU, video card I didn't check yet. I got no idea what is wrong and why is my whole computer laggy now from a video game 3 weeks ago. I got cable internet. Any other ideas? How would I check out my video card exactly?

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Crazy idea. From the stress caused during playing BF4 the first time, it MAY have caused the thermal paste connecting your GPU (or CPU) and heatsink together to "melt away", which would cause it to get extremely hot and throttle (slow itself down when getting too hot). This only happens when the thermal paste is applied terribly, and I'd only recommend trying to fix it if you know what you're doing. That's the only hardware side of things I can think of. You could get some monitoring software (like CPUID HWMonitor) to check this problem out: run it, play a little BF4, and see what the max temperature it reached.

If you can't fix it yourself, but can identify that this is the problem, then it'll probably be fairly cheap to take it to the local PC guy and fix it.

Hope that helped.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; April 09, 2014 at 03:09 AM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

Thermal paste can't melt, there may be too much on if you think that.

Download FRAPS (free) and check out your Frames Per Second on BF4. Keep in mind of your graphics settings. It won't be hard to find how BF4 benchmarks on other computers with the HD8570D, which, if you did not know, is actually integrated graphics and is comparable to Intel laptop graphics Iris 5100 (which is not even the best, 5200 is the best laptop graphics they have, integrated btw).

If your computer runs web browing, picture viewing, and things like windows media player fine, then it could be a case of your graphics card just sucking. The HD8570D is marketed heavily as "for gamers" but it shouldn't be.

Biggus Splenus's Avatar Primicerius

Thermal paste can't melt, there may be too much on if you think that.
    I didn't mean literally melt, hence the quotations.

My laptop done this, when all the thermal paste would just ooze away from the chip, and there wouldn't be anything holding the heatsink and chip together... just bare metal touching, which was terrible for thermal conductivity. It was a HP laptop, and now I've sworn never to touch their trash again + everyone I know who owns a HP have had this problem too, so I've fixed a lot of their laptops.

This is why I suggested it to the OP, because people never think it's a problem, but I can say from experience it is. Better to know that this problem is a possibility, than just being clueless about why the machine is crapping itself. Or even better to know that your PC isn't having this problem (after testing), so that you can look at the more common issues.

Anyway back to the OP; I actually remember having BF4 and BF3 problems on an AMD machine too, when the game would run smoothly for the first 20-30 minutes, then for some reason just start lagging and stuttering like crazy, and I'd actually have to reboot the machine to get it back to normal. I'd just suggest to try what I advised above, monitor your temps, and see what happens. Might as well run FRAPS too, and see what your FPS are.
    Last edited by Biggus Splenus; April 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM.
    | R5 3600, RTX 2060, MSI B450I, 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4, AX760i, NH-U12S |

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Try using System Restore to reset your Windows back to a date before your PC started playing up.