Thread: AI abuses invasion forces.

Default AI abuses invasion forces.

Sooo playing as Dale again but different campaign. I'm at war with Rhun tearing regions to pieces. they have some forces (2 or 3 full stacks) down south near border with Mordor and Harad but by the thime they get here it'll be too late. then BAM! invasion called on Rohan capital 2 of 3 stacks gets recruited into it and they, of course, get huge movement range, but instead of attacking the designated town they come and attack me. This an obvious abuse of this feature. I can't be the first one to encounter this isn't there some way to prevent AI from doing this?
    In a vanilla game I've never seen an army dispatched on a crusade attacking anything aside from the town that was the target of the crusade or the army of the faction the town belonged to.

Default Re: AI abuses invasion forces.

You would have done the same thing
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

you're so wrong. i could've used character_reset anytime i wanted but i'm not doing it am i. hell i can conjure up armies out of thin air with a few key strokes.
    Last edited by gaaxure; March 31, 2014 at 03:12 PM.

It's perhaps the one smart thing the AI does.

Besides, you won't really want enemy hordes backpacking through your country do you? Just because the enemy general "promises" hes going on a crusade?

yes but you dont want to cheat because its against lore and its bad.. instead you would fool sauron that you going to invasion and he will give your army bonuses but you will first crush your own enemies first and then go to invasion and he wouldnt notice a thing
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Quote Originally Posted by DrDragun View Post
    It's perhaps the one smart thing the AI does.
    Besides, you won't really want enemy hordes backpacking through your country do you? Just because the enemy general "promises" hes going on a crusade?
    my main problem isn't with the crusader/ivasion forces being used against me i'm fine with that(more or less) but because of invasion gives an army the ability to cover huge distances in one turn these two stacks covered the distance what would normally take 4 or more turns in one. i call bull$%^ on that... either it shouldn't be able to use these armies for outside crusade/invasion purposes or it shouldn't have the ability to blitz through 5 turns worth of distance

Quote Originally Posted by Funeh View Post
    yes but you dont want to cheat because its against lore and its bad.. instead you would fool sauron that you going to invasion and he will give your army bonuses but you will first crush your own enemies first and then go to invasion and he wouldnt notice a thing
    so what you're saying is that armies being able to move 4 times faster because they're on holy mission is lore friendly?
    or that using the ability that was granted because of invasion in a first place for non-invasion purposes is not cheating?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Bull or not you simply have to live with it, there's nothing to do.

And if you do not like the movement bonus, mod it;
    In your data-folder open the file descr_campaign_db with Notepad++ that's a free program you can get here: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
    Look for the crusade-section
    Change the movment bonus (in red), make it 1.0 if you want no movment bonus
    Code:
       <crusades>      <required_jihad_piety int="5"/>
          <max_disband_progress float="5.0"/>
          <near_target_no_disband_distance float="4.0"/>
          <disband_progress_window float="3"/>
          <crusade_called_start_turn float="40"/>
          <jihad_called_start_turn float="40"/>
          <movement_points_modifier float="1.75"/>
       </crusades>
    Save.
    Saved game compatible.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Bull or not you simply have to live with it, there's nothing to do.

And if you do not like the movement bonus, mod it;
    In your data-folder open the file descr_campaign_db with Notepad++ that's a free program you can get here: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
    Look for the crusade-section
    Change the movment bonus (in red), make it 1.0 if you want no movment bonus
    Code:
       <crusades>      <required_jihad_piety int="5"/>
          <max_disband_progress float="5.0"/>
          <near_target_no_disband_distance float="4.0"/>
          <disband_progress_window float="3"/>
          <crusade_called_start_turn float="40"/>
          <jihad_called_start_turn float="40"/>
          <movement_points_modifier float="1.75"/>
       </crusades>
    Save.
    Saved game compatible.

thanks

Happened with me as well. It's because AI had set your city as objective before crusade was called. You can try to trigger AI resignate objectives by bugging him, or sometimes AI just leaves the siege after one turn.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." George Orwell

Not gonna lie, I've done the same thing as Rhun Hell, I've joined an invasion last minute and not go so my units get a free upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by gaaxure View Post
    my main problem isn't with the crusader/ivasion forces being used against me i'm fine with that(more or less) but because of invasion gives an army the ability to cover huge distances in one turn these two stacks covered the distance what would normally take 4 or more turns in one. i call bull$%^ on that... either it shouldn't be able to use these armies for outside crusade/invasion purposes or it shouldn't have the ability to blitz through 5 turns worth of distance
    Haha, loving this.
    Actually, I've never seen this happen, but I think its terrific that the AI has taken such a dislike to you that it actually cheats the Dark Lord to give you a thumping!
    What exactly have you been doing in those poor Rhunish villages you have been plundering??

As far as the movement element goes, its important to keep in mind that the actual distances are not the main factor in determining movement speed. From Edoras to Minas, for example is only estimated at around 350 miles, which realistically you could walk in a couple of weeks, not the several months it takes in game.
    The basic game movement rate takes into account that armies must move a lot of supplies, they must forage for food and water, and all the other time consuming necessities that can slow progress.
    I've always believed that the increased moving rate for Invasions just means that increased logistical resources have been assigned to the attack, e.g. carts and draft animals, porters and peons, stored food resources released to reduce the need for forage, etc, and of course a greater sense of urgency resulting in longer marching days.
    Doubling the movement rate is by no means unrealistic.

All in all, you should count yourself lucky to have seen a very rare example of the AI showing some initiative and spirit!