Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage legalised in England and Wales

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Default Gay marriage legalised in England and Wales

England and Wales allow gay marriages from 19 minutes ago. The first couples will already have tied the knot. Scotland will follow suit later this year, so only Northern Ireland will not allow it (probably because it's much more religious than the rest of the UK). The courts are still working out how a couple in a civil partnership can convert it to a marriage.
    I think it's a positive step (and long overdue). That it was proposed and voted in under a Conservative government, and championed by a Conservative prime minister, shows just how far we've come from the days of Section 28.
    Congratulations to the happy couples!

What does TWC think of the new law? Is there anyone who can and will now get married after this change? And for those outside Britain what are your opinions on the state of gay rights where you live?

Articles:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26793127
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...e-sex-marriage
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...y.html?hpid=z1
    Last edited by GussieFinkNottle; March 28, 2014 at 07:42 PM.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Gay marriage legalised in England and Wales

Look forward to the weddings!

Facupay's Avatar Senator

It's the end of the family, society will implode, degeneracy, etc.
    HUMAN IS FISH ISLAM IS WATER. COME TO WATER AND BE RELAX...

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

The end is nigh in the UK

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

King_Porus's Avatar Senator

Cheers for joining the club UK, it's about time. But yeah, degeneracy something something family values something something Obama something something, communists.

nce_wht_guy's Avatar Vicarius

Don't forget all the storms and godly wrath etc...
    Support Russia!

I'm pretty sure no one sees anything wrong with this. Another step in the march towards progress and freedom

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Welcome to the consensus that the lives of other people don't really matter all that much.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Euphoric's Avatar Semisalis

This was the gayest thing I've heard all day, in a good way.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Nietzsche

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

A fantastic and positive step to leaving an unjustified (family life will degenerate forever! God say's you can't! etc etc) and morally bankrupt view behind in the dust, giving way to actual equality for all people, we're getting there!
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    A fantastic and positive step to leaving an unjustified (family life will degenerate forever! God say's you can't! etc etc) and morally bankrupt view behind in the dust, giving way to actual equality for all people, we're getting there!
    You may think it is better morally, that's your own view and others. But It's still unnatural, and no amount of rushed laws through Parliament will change that.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    You may think it is better morally, that's your own view and others. But It's still unnatural, and no amount of rushed laws through Parliament will change that.
    It is not unnatural. That is an objective fact, that only a howling idiot could deny: something that occurs as a common part of nature cannot possibly be unnatural. I trust you are not a howling idiot, so might I suggest the term 'against God's plans for nature'. That may well be true, if there is an abrahamic God. Personally I don't think there is.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Who cares if it's un-natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    It is not unnatural. That is an objective fact, that only a howling idiot could deny: something that occurs as a common part of nature cannot possibly be unnatural. I trust you are not a howling idiot, so might I suggest the term 'against God's plans for nature'. That may well be true, if there is an abrahamic God. Personally I don't think there is.
    I think the label "howling idiot", would be someone without a good grasp of biology.

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

I think the label "howling idiot", would be someone without a good grasp of biology.
    Homosexual behavior in animals is sexual behavior among non-human species that may be interpreted as homosexual or bisexual. This may include sexual activity, courtship, affection, pair bonding, and parenting among same-sex animal pairs. Research indicates that various forms of this are found throughout the animal kingdom.[1][2] As of 1999, nearly 1,500 species, ranging from primates to gut worms, have been observed engaging in same-sex behaviors; this is well documented in about 500 species.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosex...ior_in_animals

What was that you were saying about knowing sweet f.a. about biology?
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosex...ior_in_animals

What was that you were saying about knowing sweet f.a. about biology?
    If a dog shags a man's leg, is that asciribed normal behaviour for dogs? Human sexual desire is built on natural impulses to reproduce but also psychological factors also. There are many festishes, some get turned on by objects as well as people. but is that normal behaviour!? maybe for them but not so for the rest.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno
    Moderator Emeritus

Despite the wealth of scientific data we have as Dr Zoidberg has rather succinctly pointed out of homosexuality in the animal kingdoms (so indeed a very 'natural' thing, i'm sure you'd agree now?) i would also say that indeed it's morally right as what gives the right of certain groups and people to label other people as immoral and 'unnatural' (especially when actually it isn't). Most religious doctrine is stuck in an era of incredible ignorance, and this is a great way of bringing things up to an equal footing. No one has the right to judge anyone else on the grounds of 'unnatural' homosexuality. You wouldn't believe some of the incredibly inane arguments i've seen against this being put into place Caractacus- from 'Gods Wrath' to the fact that it would apparently encourage fathers and sons into incest... Now i agree that everyone has a right to their own views. But those views, especially the idiotic ones i've listed here should NEVER be forced upon someone else, much like it has been. Everyone should have the same opportunities.

If a dog shags a man's leg, is that asciribed normal behaviour for dogs? Human sexual desire is built on natural impulses to reproduce but also psychological factors also. There are many festishes, some get turned on by objects as well as people. but is that normal behaviour!? maybe for them but not so for the rest.
    You said it was 'unnatural' we've shown that actually it's quite a natural development in species all over- there are a variety of theories on this. But to say it's 'unnatural' is wrong- 'unnatural' according to what authority? When their is evidence of homosexuality in a variety of species this whole issue becomes rather farcical wouldn't you say?

Now the point you raise about fetishes is more appropriate perhaps, but here again we have that moral argument, of who judges what is normal? and what right do they have to decide? The issue is as long as it's not hurting another human being physically or mentally (Indeed homosexual relationships in this area are no more diverse and problem filled in some cases than heterosexual relationships) then it's not an issue.
    Last edited by Dante Von Hespburg; March 29, 2014 at 06:10 AM.
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

What the hell are you babbling about? You claimed homosexuality was 'un-natural' That homosexual behaviour has been well documented in 500 species and observed in about 1,500 species shows your statement to be blatantly false.

You can dress your bigotry in whatever cloak you wish, but when it comes down to it, you're wrong.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Euphoric's Avatar Semisalis

Homosexuality is natural. It's your Judeo-Christian morality that is unnatural.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    Despite the wealth of scientific data we have as Dr Zoidberg has rather succinctly pointed out of homosexuality in the animal kingdoms (so indeed a very 'natural' thing, i'm sure you'd agree now?) i would also say that indeed it's morally right as what gives the right of certain groups and people to label other people as immoral and 'unnatural' (especially when actually it isn't). Most religious doctrine is stuck in an era of incredible ignorance, and this is a great way of bringing things up to an equal footing. No one has the right to judge anyone else on the grounds of 'unnatural' homosexuality. You wouldn't believe some of the incredibly inane arguments i've seen against this being put into place Caractacus- from 'Gods Wrath' to the fact that it would apparently encourage fathers and sons into incest... Now i agree that everyone has a right to their own views. But those views, especially the idiotic ones i've listed here should NEVER be forced upon someone else, much like it has been. Everyone should have the same opportunities.
    The whole of nature revolves around reproduction, anything which runs contrary to that isn't natural, that is a simple truth. No amount of seeking to justify the contrary by freakish behaviour amongst animals will change it, God or otherwise. Humans have sex for other reasons than reproduction. If two consenting adults want to engage in physical contact, its their business not mine. But I deeply resent the rush towards granting couples of the same sex the rights to marriage and to label anyone with any other opinion, whatever its basis, a bigot. The same Gay lobby trolling has begun here with my opinion.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast