Thread: The pain of a roman civil war with an AI

Default The pain of a roman civil war with an AI

Just began a few days ago a 6tpy Julian campaign and when, near 357, Constantius turned on me, I saw all thoses contemptibles armies of that damn unit : EQUITE AUXILIA !!! Thoses battles against thoses unmanly armies are such a pain that I am sharing my experience on this forum. It is sad the Ai is not brigth enough to play with good armies but : eh, it's the game AI, we can do nothing about it.

Envers et contre tous...et c'est tant mieux ainsi ! Ze political profile

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: The pain of a roman civil war with an AI

There is some thought that recruit times and costs may assist in this but would need to be experimented with. If anybody has the time and inclination to give this a try I would be much appreciated. I don't know if tinkering with the recruitment times and costs would also affect the roman player.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Can't the roman AI recruitment be scripted as in the barbarian factions?
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Doesn't that mostly have to due with the faction traits (Builder, Fortified, etc) and character (Caesar, Henry, etc)?

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

IMO the solution might be increasing the number of turns to recruit cheap cavalry, but in any case the AI will always recruit large amount of cheap 1 turn troops.

With the AI fielding a large amount of infantry the player should have a better gaming experience but ... I doubt that the AI can be programmed to build historically accurate armies.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    There is some thought that recruit times and costs may assist in this but would need to be experimented with. If anybody has the time and inclination to give this a try I would be much appreciated. I don't know if tinkering with the recruitment times and costs would also affect the roman player.
    I agree on this. Da Vinci Athenogoras and other guys form Chivalry total war made great job on this in their mod. Except eastern european factions which tend to spam light skirmisher troops the AI is building very satisfying armies.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Doesn't that mostly have to due with the faction traits (Builder, Fortified, etc) and character (Caesar, Henry, etc)?
    That is true but I'm not sure how much this affects the recruitment, especially when you have different recruitment times for different units. I noticed in the vanilla BI that all units for all factions have the same requirment time

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    IMO the solution might be increasing the number of turns to recruit cheap cavalry, but in any case the AI will always recruit large amount of cheap 1 turn troops.

With the AI fielding a large amount of infantry the player should have a better gaming experience but ... I doubt that the AI can be programmed to build historically accurate armies.
    I'm pretty sure I have increased the recruitment time for the auxilia cavalry but as you said the AI seems to try and recruit the cheapest and quickest units.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    I agree on this. Da Vinci Athenogoras and other guys form Chivalry total war made great job on this in their mod. Except eastern european factions which tend to spam light skirmisher troops the AI is building very satisfying armies.
    Can you said any more light on this with say a copy of their edu file??

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

DVK and the RS2 team have worked extensively on this also, you may ask for some pointers, and how about increasing cavalry costs ? and army scripting, have you considered that ?
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I would like to test some change in the edu-file but ... sadly I noticed that frequently, some minor change I've done to the edu-file (yes the Comitatenses! My intention was to get them more quickly ...) led to some form of instability in the game and to fatal and mysterious ctd!

Can you said any more light on this with say a copy of their edu file??
    Sorry, for late reply I was really busy this week. I am not able to send you the EDU right now as I do not have the mod instaled currently. I do nit remember the costs of the units. As for recruitment times I can give you brief overview of western units: regular units like seargants, archers and basic spear militas took 1 turn to recruit. Most of the cavalry units (light, medium, early knights) took 2 turns to recriut. Most of the knights took 3 turns to recruit. Profesional heavy infantry like Men-at-arms took also 2 or 3 turns to recruit. IIRC, eastern factions favouring horse archery has only 1 turn for recruiting light cavalry butI could be wrong.

DVK and the RS2 team have worked extensively on this also, you may ask for some pointers, and how about increasing cavalry costs ? and army scripting, have you considered that ?
    I have not yet played last patch of RS2, but in my opinion is method used in Chivalry much simplier and still well reasoned and effective.

Yes like in RS2 and then you say the player may not recruit stacks of the cheap units.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Here is the EDU of Chivalry Total War 1.07.
    Attached Files Attached Files