Thread: Caesar in Gaul strategies

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Default Caesar in Gaul strategies

Hi all! I've been playing CIG to see what it's all about. I like some things, such as detailed campaign map, buying technologies, different city decorations (trees and stuff). I was even amazed to see factions declaring war on me. But I really found it ridiculous that when I reached Imperium level, there was rebelion in every city I conquered! Full roster armies! Come on! You can't have enough generals to cope with this. I suppose it's unavoidable...
    Any tips for me?

Default Re: Caesar in Gaul strategies

It seems the Imperium level is something to be avoided for a while because in this case the Gauls wake up you're not merely an interloper but more a conqueror. So think twice about going for technologies that offer +5 Imperium or similar too quickly. Eventually you'll expand too much for their liking with myriad Gauls declaring war on you and spamming agents on you to death. CIG brings playing politics to a new level in TW. For a while you terrorize them into submission (peace, then alliance or client plus trade) by bringing a few stacks into the their territory. Eventually they'll ignore this with your allied states turning on you. So watch out for those client states in your rear, you might have to take them out before it gets too serious. You'll have to watch the grievance level and try to stop Gallic alliances from forming. And you have to spend dough playing them off against each other.

There's some dough to be made in trade so concentrate on acquiring territories with resources, you'll need a good treasure chest when they finally go bozo and solid front is better because you'll never match them for numbers.

The good news is that Oathsworn and similar only seem to appear as Generals body guards which is what they were historically.
    Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Well, what can I say? This will be a bugged victory. I've won 5 battles in a row (that I would lose) because the AI won't climb ladders or won't move the units.

It happened to me as Wulfgar said. I ended up in a war with the Arverni, two british factions, the Nervi and my former allies the Allobroges at the end of the campaign. I had to set the taxes on high and blitz them but I got caught out by the betrayal of the Allobroges which made things vastly more difficult than they should have been.

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

I succeeded in crushing this rebellion in 2 turns through some careful planning. When I realised it was approaching I prepared a network of buffer states all round my territories, allies who would prevent me from being invaded long enough to kill all the rebel armies in my own land. With them all around I didn't have to worry about the hostile states beyond:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/...6814E553D824A/

This strategy also has the benefit of allowing you to make attacks into enemy territories, but not worry that if the attacks fail you will be invaded and have no men to defend yourself. It also gives you breathing space as a large invading army will attack the buffer states first, not you.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Yeah, I see your point. But I'm past that. I'm 5 settlements from victory, fighting about 5 battles per turn (which I win by time out bug).

The trick is to carefully manage your imperium, convert enemy agents to counter those of the AI factions, and use native troops whenever possible to keep costs down. Full allies with trade and military access won't turn on you when hit full imperium, and their settlements count towards the victory conditions. I basically guided my ally into Germania by helping with siege assault, once he got some momentum I could leave him alone and march west. I was turtling/teching pretty hard just under full imperium, but in retrospect I could have gone for the endgame sooner.

Maybe I should have bought all those "Imperium" boosting technologies after all. I thought I was going to get new barracks as well. The barracks arrive, but won't give you new roman units. At least nothing important. By the way, does anyone know if the roman ending video is the same as grand campaign?
    Last edited by Hoplite of Ilis; March 26, 2014 at 05:44 AM.

The tricky part is following the missions and rewards that follow Caesars historical path.
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

I did it. Restarted the campaign and didn't buy any Imperium adding technology. No full scale rebelion this time. I was also using my agents all the time (four spies killing and sabotaging). Finished the game with 29 settlements (one more and I would reach Imperium - and then all hell would break loose). Same ending video like vanilla too . I must admit I enjoyed it. If it weren't for that siege bug, I'd almost recommend it . Lets see this Hannibal next. Thank you all!

Crandar's Avatar Civitate

Caesar's strategies were adequate in relity, there is no reason why those would not suffice in a turn based strategy game. Meet force with overwhelming force, barbarism with discipline and treason with cunning. In terms of game mechanics this translates.
    Letter of Marque granted from: Siblesz (Oh noble master!)
    Honored Patron of: Invoker47, Epistolary Richard, Simetrical, and Brodiseus

Animis opibusque parati et animus facit nobilem!

Yeah, but I was lacking the money . Besides, video games are a long way from real life.

Crandar's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Yeah, but I was lacking the money . Besides, video games are a long way from real life.
    I do not understand. You are a real person in real life. I apply the same ethic decision making in games and in real life, why can one not be ethic and disciplined when it comes to a world of virtuality?
    Letter of Marque granted from: Siblesz (Oh noble master!)
    Honored Patron of: Invoker47, Epistolary Richard, Simetrical, and Brodiseus

Animis opibusque parati et animus facit nobilem!

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    I do not understand. You are a real person in real life. I apply the same ethic decision making in games and in real life, why can one not be ethic and disciplined when it comes to a world of virtuality?
    Trying too hard gives the joke away.

Quote Originally Posted by Crandar View Post
    Sure you can. I usually do in games as I do in real life. But there are real life factors or details not present in video games.

The Vangiones made things easy in my current campaign. They folded and became a client state against a couple of Roman stacks. So I could fly up and deal with the various Belgae in short order. But now who do I stab in the back for a trade corridor? The German Vangiones or my erst while friends the Mandubii?

I played my latest campaign to the end. The Gallic slave rebellion isn't too much chop but more sensible that the one in the main game. The great danger is diplomatic with all the Gauls ganging up on you if they are annoyed enough, something I avoided in the latest campaign. The Gauls seem dislike you less when you got plenty of cash. It seems it pays to keep the Germans and perhaps the Greeks around on favorable terms because they share no affinity with the dangerous majority of the Gauls. An important thing is not playing on the edge of bankruptcy and keeping plenty of cash up your sleeve, so downsize those armies when they are not particularly needed and buy up mercenaries for a same turn battle. Avoid the political techs that add to Imperium until later in the game.

I wonder how it would work out to let Narbo go and leave the left map Gauls to the Greeks and others? Although this might create a trade problem to the northern provinces without the Bordeux and a channel port.

Yeah, on the second campaign I didn't buy any "blue" technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Yeah, on the second campaign I didn't buy any "blue" technology.
    I'm not sure if it isn't merely certain "blue" technologies though. The ones saying "plus Imperium" are best avoided until you get further in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by wulfgar610 View Post
    The ones saying "plus Imperium" are best avoided until you get further in the game.
    Right you are!