Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hebrew Army Roster

Default Re: Hebrew Army Roster

Quote Originally Posted by Pentecostal Knight View Post
    It was just a WIP and I know that most of the special tribal units where not right I was just trying to fill think of what was need in the roster if this was going to be a bigger starting faction and there 700 left handed Benjaminite slingers mention in Judges or some where else in the old testament that's why I did that
    That's true, they were also skilled as slingers, being able to "sling a stone at a hair and not miss". I could add that to the roster, but the fact that there are already two Benjaminite units may turn this Hebrew roster into a more Benjaminite roster.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Benjamin is an awesome name though and should rightfull be elite!
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Quote Originally Posted by trinhbot View Post
    They are also mentioned as "those who handle the marshal's staff"
    It's never too late to panic!

Dont know when i will ever get around to it but if you could have 2 settings in the one mod.
    1 setting the Israelites felling egypt and taking Canaan. you would have local city states that the 12 tribes (really 11 excluding Levites) would have to defeat in a giant map of the levant and north western Egypt.
    2. Biblical wars - where you have the entire near east and the 12 tribes + assyrians Edomites Amalekites etc maybe start in 1000BC. There are tonnes of old maps in Bibles of the layout of all these tribes and city states.

I think that you're making a mistake by taking Bible as a reliable source. It was written well after Bronze age and after that rewritten few times to suit actual needs. When it comes to Bronze age there's almost nothing useful in the Bible from historic point of view. Story of leaving Egypt and whole history of Jews before established kingdoms of Israel and Judah etc. is simply largely made up.

So you'll end up with mod which will be loved by christians and jews, but it'll be historically inaccuate.
    Last edited by Aquila SPQR; September 16, 2014 at 09:53 AM.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Aquila SPQR View Post
    I think that you're making a mistake by taking Bible as a reliable source. It was written well after Bronze age and after that rewritten few times to suit actual needs. When it comes to Bronze age there's almost nothing useful in the Bible from historic point of view. Story of leaving Egypt and whole history of Jews before established kingdoms of Israel and Judah etc. is simply largely made up.

So you'll end up with mod which will be loved by christians and jews, but it'll be historically inaccuate.
    I agree, for AOB officially the Bible except for rare instances will not be used as a source of information. These rare instances might be certain geographical terms we could not locate anywere else, such as some areas in Palestine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    I agree, for AOB officially the Bible except for rare instances will not be used as a source of information. These rare instances might be certain geographical terms we could not locate anywere else, such as some areas in Palestine.
    Well its not my mod and I am not a christian fundamentalist but then again they appear to be the least dangerous type of fundamentalist these days. Years ago I read some history books about the explosion of Santorini in 1428BC which help end the Minoan civilization and led to Egypt kicking out the Hyksos who had been immigrating into Egypt like Joseph and eventually installing their own Pharoahs. There is the stele of Merneptah which mentions Israel and uses a mark which indicates an unsettled population. Anyway the bible is based on some fact. Moses would have been a leader of the likely expelled Hyksos and his name is Egyptian. The campaign map cannot be altered to create these ideas anyway unfortunately. I might have a go with Kingdoms.

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

Well its not my mod and I am not a christian fundamentalist but then again they appear to be the least dangerous type of fundamentalist these days. Years ago I read some history books about the explosion of Santorini in 1428BC which help end the Minoan civilization and led to Egypt kicking out the Hyksos who had been immigrating into Egypt like Joseph and eventually installing their own Pharoahs. There is the stele of Merneptah which mentions Israel and uses a mark which indicates an unsettled population. Anyway the bible is based on some fact. Moses would have been a leader of the likely expelled Hyksos and his name is Egyptian. The campaign map cannot be altered to create these ideas anyway unfortunately. I might have a go with Kingdoms.
    the egypt related thing is true, although the classic "minoan" culture and dominance was broken around 1600, probably by the mycenaeans and other hellads. the result was a mixture of achaean and minoan elements, leading again to a unique cretan culture. the cretan outpost on santorin and the cretan havens were then completely destroyed around 1500 BC, afaik the exact date can't be figured out.
    now crete became something we would consider a mycenaean vassal. anways, they were under strong influence from the mainland, maybe even had a puppet king.

There is a lot of doubt that the Hebrews even existed anything like as depicted in the bible. Perhaps there was once a tribe of Arabs with a similar name. The story of them being expelled slaves is inane because for one who expels their slaves en masse like that? That's a revolt not an exodus and we all know what happened to Spartacus. I am glad you have chosen not to include Hebrews. They were not a significant tribe and very little fact is known of them.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov Isaov View Post
    There is a lot of doubt that the Hebrews even existed anything like as depicted in the bible. Perhaps there was once a tribe of Arabs with a similar name. The story of them being expelled slaves is inane because for one who expels their slaves en masse like that? That's a revolt not an exodus and we all know what happened to Spartacus. I am glad you have chosen not to include Hebrews. They were not a significant tribe and very little fact is known of them.
    Exactly. Even as a ethnic group, they only start showing up distinctly towards the very end of our timeperiod, and even then in a very minor instance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12