Thread: Eagle Standard, Volume XI Issue I

Audacia's Avatar Give Life Back to Music
    Content Emeritus

Default Eagle Standard, Volume XI Issue I

The best publication for Total War and modding news!

Eagle Standard CONTENT INDEX
    (Do not scroll until specific post appears)

Rome II
    Shogun II
    Napoleon and Empire
    Medieval II
    Eras
    Vault Column

Letter from Audacia
    And...we're back! After an extended hiatus the Eagle Standard returns to bring you all of the latest Total War and modding news! Unfortunately The Dutch Devil, the Eagle Standard's chief editor, has been incredibly busy as of late, so he was unable to publish this issue. We all miss him very much! I would like to take the time here to recognize his extraordinary efforts; hopefully this issue will live up to the precedent he helped set. In any event, this issue of the Eagle Standard is jam-packed with coverage of the latest updates from the Creative Assembly regarding Total War: Rome II. Confederate Jeb of the Gamer's Gazette takes a break from writing about everything other than Total War to weigh in on what was revealed about Rome II at this year's E3. Shackleton, the Eagle Standard's newest reporter, explores all of the faction previews that you may have missed since our last publication. In addition to all of that, enjoy Diamat's exclusive interview with spartan_warrior about modding the Shogun 2 campaign map. Of course, I also encourage you read about the latest previews, updates, and releases of modifications for every Total War game. I guarantee you will find something you like! With that, I bid you farewell. TDD, I hope we make you proud!

Audacia
    ES Deputy Editor

Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; July 21, 2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: content pub links update

Under the patronage of Inkie Pie: Text Editor for The Great War
    Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Default Re: Eagle Standard, Volume XI Issue I

Rome II

E3: Total War: Rome II
    E3 Review

E3 has come and gone, and with it a host of fresh gaming news. By now many of you have heard about the infamous interview done by GameSpot, but between this and IGN's interview, both with Al Bickham, and the newly revealed Battle of the Nile game demo, we have a lot of material to chew on. Now admittedly I'm writing this followup while on vacation on a laptop, so chalk up any errors to me concentrating on why I'm inside and not fishing/snorkeling (what do you mean it's hard to see underwater at night?). So ignoring my not so terrible situation, let's get straight to some highlights and analysis. Of course much of this is based on my opinion so take it as you will.

As stated in the interviews, Rome 2 will ship with around 700 different units (compared to Shogun 2's 45) and the map will be four times the size of Shogun 2's map, ranging from Ireland and Scotland to the Arabian Peninsula and Bactria. While some would have liked to see the game go further east into India, Bactria is an excellent middle ground between the scope of the original Rome: Total War and going into India and maybe China (I probably should quit reading the threads). Unit wise, this is excellent news. One of my personal grievances with Shogun 2 was the near exact duplication of each faction's roster. With 700 units spread across multiple cultures and factions, there is less potential of each faction feeling too similar. Now, how many of these units are renamed/reskinned versions of another matter is something we won't know until the game is released, but regardless both the scope of the military units and the campaign map are solid improvements.

Speaking of the campaign map, a few minor additions are worth noting. Ancient wonders scattered around the map are making a welcome return, as well as providing the unique benefits. The inclusion of Stonehenge also helps balance the benefits to areas not so close to the Mediterranean, so here's hoping that more locations are revealed as we approach release. More tangibly, as cities grow, their campaign map models expand on the map, highlighting key buildings or slums on the city's outskirts. This is a nice feature, but seeing this have an effect on the battle map would be a much bigger deal. Finally, the return of marching into territories without declaring war a the cost of negative relations is a favorite of mine. A more comprehensive look at the diplomacy features will determine how important this is, however.

But onwards to the battle. Overall I liked how fluid switching between the land and naval segments was, thanks in part to the separate tabs. What little they showed of the naval combat proved to be more interesting to me, with the example of naval ramming, with the Egyptian flagship literally smashing an already damaged Roman trireme in two, being my personal highlight of the demo. On the land side, three things primarily stood out to me. Firstly, much has been made of the siege equipment and chariots resulting in flying legionnaires, and CA has mentioned that this may be toned down as we approach release. So long as the overall disruptiveness of such equipment is decreased slightly, I do not think it should be too big of a deal gameplay wise, even if it may not be aesthetically pleasing to everyone. Secondly, I have always liked the idea of defensive placements, represented here by the flaming balls of hay. In the demo these too seemed to be slightly overpowered, unless it is a similar case of many of the soldiers returning to their feet afterwards and I just missed it. There also appear to be a few issues with it, as a number of Egyptian soldiers were killed lighting the weapons. Thirdly, the introduction of control points to more than just sieges, if only for attacks on supply lines, is a good addition, provided that they strategically take advantage of the terrain and aren't placed willy nilly.

I'll leave my little bit of analysis short and sweet, as members smarter than I have taken apart and analyzed every bit of footage we have at our disposal. There's a reason why I'm part of the Gamer's Gazette, which is everything but Total War games. I am still looking forward to more information coming out on Rome 2, and hope it's well worth all the excitement.

Oh, and the game clearly needs more war elephants.

Written by: Confederate Jeb.

ROME II - Faction Previews
    ROME II - Faction Previews

These faction previews have been around a while now, but even before they came out we all knew this one was coming. Bafflingly unplayable without tweaking files in the original Rome - Total War, I think Macedon comes as a welcome addition to the faction roster. It is excellently placed to give the player a dizzying choice of directions to expand, and one assumes it can become an economic powerhouse quite early on if Hellas and the land surrounding the Aegean is brought to heel. Of course, I imagine the Creative Assembly won't make that simple sounding idea quite so easy, with Greeks to the south, what I imagine are Thracians to the north, along with successor states galore to the east. Oh, and who could forget Rome to the west?

The preview doesn't go into much detail in terms of specifics, but it does give us some insight into the kinds of units we can expect. Hoplites, companion cavalry and Thessalian cavalry are mentioned, and Macedon's lack of naval power is also noted. It does sound like the classic hammer and anvil tactics will work nicely though, and I'm sure I won't be the only one shouting embarrassingly loudly as I send my king charging into the back of some screaming barbarian lines. Ah...I look forward to that already. So, the state that gave birth to Alexander will be available to play off the bat - will you follow in the footsteps of that glorious conqueror, or will you follow your own goals?

Click to view content: 

Tsk tsk...such dirty shields.

The Iceni

So, rather than 'The Britons', we have the Iceni tribe. That does make sense, seeing as the whole Boudica thing went down rather famously a few centuries after the start of the time frame. After all, whoever heard of the Atrebates? Well, apparently the Creative Assembly has since they are mentioned as one of the other Britonic tribes that the Iceni get to clash with, but still. Anyway, my first thought when looking at this preview was 'Will there be head hurlers?' I can't be the only one who not only enjoyed seeing the heads of my enemies getting hurled back at more enemies, but also being shocked at how many more enemies they killed! Alas, there is no mention that I know of so far, but there is talk of the famous blue painted warriors, along with their large shields, spears and swords. Slingers are mentioned too, although I think an enemies head is better than a pebble, wouldn't you agree?

Still, even without severed heads (I'm not letting that go), I imagine the Iceni will be fun to play. Having a rather large island to conquer whilst being separated from the larger goings on across the channel gives the player a great point of stability from which to begin large scale invasions. Perhaps Rome will burn, or even Athens? Or...Camulodunon. Yes, I went there. This won't be the first faction I play with, so I will make sure to be listening to 'London's Burning' by The Clash as I crush them. It became London later, so it works!

Click to view content: 

"Run boys! I hear The Clash!"

The Averni

Otherwise known as 'Gaul'. I'm a big fan of the fact we are getting more detailed factions in the sequel, with tribe names being used as opposed to the generic people group. The starting position for the Averni gives plenty of potential, but the player will be in for a fight from the get go. Germanic tribes, raiding Britons (sorry...Iceni), Iberian tribes and the growing shadow of Rome all await these brave folk. Even Asterix might find that a challenge (sorry...I couldn't resist). However, this faction can rise above all those challenges, because it has the unit with quite possibly the most awesome name ever. Yes, I'm talking about 'Oathsworn'! Just the name gives me shivers.

There is also a lot of talk of Druids in this preview which does make me wonder if we will see units of them again, wielding their scythes? Even if we don't, it sounds like we will have some good units to choose from, with strong infantry, missile units and cavalry being mentioned. Forget the latter two though, just give me a stack of Oathsworn and the world is mine!

Click to view content: 

Probably on strike about something.

The Suebi

Otherwise known as the Germanic tribes. These were one of my personal favorites in the original game due to those extremely effective berserkers, who are mentioned by name in this preview so I am excited by that prospect. They start off rather isolated, so the player should have time to unite more of the north before sweeping into the civilized world, wreaking havoc. The preview makes much of their ability to ambush, with their units being primarily suited to that style of fighting, with 'Night Hunters' being mentioned.

Culturally, they sound isolationist, and it seems they may have more trouble than some holding onto conquests. However, this would be a good challenge and I am sure you would agree. And of course, these guys did not give Caesar Augustus his legions back.

Click to view content: 

That guy in the middle is clearly checking himself out.

Parthia

Another great faction from the original game, I see one excellent improvement already. The hot pink is gone, and royal purple is in. Thank goodness for that. A real 'eastern' faction, it gives the player a great choice for a different playing style as opposed the rather heavily infantry focused European factions. Parthia specializes in mounted units, with horse archers and heavy cavalry being mentioned. And when we think heavy cavalry, we of course think 'cataphracts', although these aren't actually mentioned by name. It will certainly present a different army roster, with only light infantry being really recruitable and mercenaries being needed for any real heavy infantry according to the preview.

I'm excited about the culture and religion aspect in Rome II, and with Parthia we are introduced to Zoroastrianism. This does cause an aversion to slavery - welcome morality perhaps, though bad news for the economy. Still, while Alexander is fun to emulate with the previously mentioned Macedon, is Cyrus any less of a man? Will you recreate the Persian (or Parthian...) Empire?

Click to view content: 

Ancient tanks?

Egypt

Ptolemaic Egypt is back for round two. It was a rather odd faction in the original, with some units looking like they belonged in The Scorpion King movie rather than a game based on history, though it was something we could forgive since they were so fun to play. It is a Successor State, so the player gets to enjoy both Hellenic style units, and indigenous ones. Spearmen, pikemen, swordsmen, all three styles of infantry are mentioned, and it is exciting to hear that scythed chariots will be available for them - at least to me! Also, one word...

...elephants.

Starting out in, unsurprisingly, Egypt and the Levant, players have plenty of opportunity to expand and go to large scale war. One can imagine the Seleucid's will be next door and Carthage and Numidia will be to the west. Good times to be had all around!

Click to view content: 

What, no elephant picture?

Pontus

So, Pontus and their king Mithridates are back to beat up on some more Romans and Greeks. They definitely have a fun starting position, on the shores of the Black Sea, with Seleucids, Armenians and Greeks as neighbors. Plenty of opportunity for conquest against the tired older powers, although that depends on them being as tired as I think they are. Their economy should be strong since they control Black Sea trade for the most part, so there is a base of stability, although apparently the ruling class has forsaken their Persian heritage. Perhaps trouble will be brewing at home.

Since Pontus was part of the Successor States before declaring independence, but is ruled by Persian's, their army roster sounds like a very good and balanced one. Pikemen are available, as well as those always fun scythed chariots, and I imagine Cappadocian cavalry will be around. If not...well, I guess you can throw rotten vegetables at me.

Click to view content: 

Pretty classy looking.

Athens

So, this time around there is no generic 'Greek' faction, but actual city states, one of which comes in the form of Athens. I am definitely a fan of this, though I am sure there are dissenting voices out there. Athens was an international power before the destructive Peloponnesian War and the rise of Macedon under Philip II, and then Alexander. Rome II gives us the opportunity to make it so once again.

Starting out life as a single city state is a very attractive prospect, since your units are local to that once city, and enlarging your territorial conquests has more meaning. At least, that's how I view it. According to the faction preview, Athens will have a strong naval ability and strong hoplite and archer units, in addition to mercenaries being available. It should be a great challenge!

Click to view content: 

A battle? A riot? A normal day in Athens?

Epirus

Another large omission from the original game, Epirus will be available this time around as part of the Greek States Culture Pack. This faction has just lost a war with Rome, and managed to create a term that has lasted until today - Pyrrhic victory. Their king, Pyrrhus, won two battles against the Romans but at such a heavy cost that he lost the war. Hmm...not a great starting point one could be forgiven for thinking. However, revenge could be on your mind as the player, perhaps Rome could still be brought to heel. Or, there is Macedon to the east and those upstart, arrogant Greeks to the south. A strong Epirot king could unite Hellas and invade the Italian peninsular from a much stronger base.

Their unit roster will be similar to the other Hellenic factions, and as such will have good mounted commanders to charge into the enemy. I'm personally extremely pleased that they will be around in Rome II - Total War.

Click to view content: 

Those pesky Romans.

Sparta

I will do my absolute best to refrain from making 300 movie references here. I doubt anybody was surprised when Sparta was announced as a faction in the Greek States Culture Pack, and I can't imagine many were too disappointed at their inclusion either. They will definitely be a fun faction to play, seeing as their hoplites will be very powerful - at least that is the impression given in the faction preview. Players will be able to bring those haughty Athenians to heel again, although challenging the might of Macedon might be...

...madness. Madness?

Ok, ok...sorry. Couldn't resist at least one reference. After all...

...this is Sparta!

Ok, I'm done at two references. To be honest, this faction speaks for itself. After all, who hasn't heard of the Spartans? (Aaoo! Aaoo! Aaoo!) Heroes at Thermopylae, heroes at Plataea, victors in the Peloponnesian War. They'll be one of the first that this player will use, and I imagine my royal hoplites will be burning many cities across the world.

Click to view content: 

This...is...SPARTAAA!

Those are all the faction previews that are out. To see the actual previews, just click on the faction name and it will link you to that factions official Total War wiki entry.

Written by: Shackleton.

Last edited by Audacia; July 10, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Shogun II

Interview with spartan_warrior
    Modding the Shogun 2 Campaign Map

Versus
    Introduction
    Today's interviewee,
    spartan_warrior, is one of TWC's foremost rising stars. I first met him while chancing upon a most unusual thread in the Shogun 2 modding section. The thread was titled "modding campaign map." Here, spartan_warrior was working on something previously deemed impossible: modding the Shogun 2 campaign map. He has made progress where there was once no progress to be made. Recently, and for the first time, he was even able to add a fully functional province, as shown in the picture below:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If things continue to progress, one day we will be able to create entirely new maps, maps which include Korea or China. Once we have come this far, nothing could hold modders back. Finally, we would see total conversion mods and an explosion of modding creativity. Hence, one cannot understate the importance of spartan_warrior's efforts, for which he was also awarded the honor of citizenship.

About You

1. Why the name “spartan_warrior”? Does it have any significance to you?

Back when I originally chose the name it was surprisingly not meant to be directly associated with the ancient Spartans. Rather, I chose it more so for the modern connotation of the word, being simple, austere, resolute. Qualities which I feel contribute much to my personality and character, hence why I chose it.

2. I see you have been a member of Total War Center since 2004. That is a very long time. What first brought you here and what got you to stay?
    Yes, I have been around here for quite some time now, although many probably haven't known it, as I don't post all too often. What originally brought me here was of course my interests in the Total War series. I joined around the same time in which Rome Total War was released, which was the first Total War game I really got into modding. I guess the reason why I have stayed is because the Total War Center has perhaps the largest community for fans of the series, and it's always interesting to see what modding projects and ideas are being developed around here.

3. How does it feel to finally be a citizen? Were you planning on it?
    It's definitely nice to finally be a citizen. It was something which I always would have liked, but I never really wanted to put forward a request for citizenship. Which is why it was nice to have been recognized for my contributions and offered the citizenship. A big thanks to General Brewster for recognizing my work and offering his patronage, although I do know there were several others who would have liked to have been my patron as well.

Modding in General

1. What excites you about modding? Why do you do it?

What excites me about modding is to see how I may be able to expand on some of the great work which CA has done, to test the potential of the "vanilla" game, by perhaps adding more depth, history, or even a different focus to the game. I do it because I consider myself an avid gamer, and lover of history, which is what draws me to the Total War series to begin with. I like to tailor the games somewhat to my own preferences.

2. How much time do you typically spend per week modding?

Well currently, and sadly, I don't have the ability to spend much, or rather any, time modding. I am far too busy with school at the moment to have much free time (the small college I am attending has a reputation for consuming the entirety of students' lives), so the luxury of having time to mod is very low.

3. Which Total War game do you like to mod the most and why?
    The Total War game which I have spent the most time modding would have to be the original Rome, I spent a great amount of time contributing to the first Europa Barbarorum project. But also I liked modding Rome just because that period is by far my favorite, and as thus held my attention the longest. I never really got into modding Empire or Napoleon partly because of a lack of interest in the time periods, but for the most part it was because I was too preoccupied with university and working on my first degree. The release of Shogun 2 really sparked my interests in modding again, and I definitely desire to see what Rome 2 will offer for modding potential.

4. Do you have a favorite mod or a favorite modder here at TWC?

One of my favorite mods would have to be Europa Barbarorum for RTW. I have spent many hours playing that in years past. However, I have since moved on from RTW, and for the more recent Total War games I typically don't use any mods in particular, rather I make my own small modifications based upon my personal preferences.

5. What are your expectations for Rome 2 in terms of modding?
    I am quite optimistic in my expectations for Rome 2 in terms of modding. If we see the eventual release of an 'Assembly Kit' set of tools like we did for Shogun 2, then I will be content. Shogun 2's 'Assembly Kit' offers all the modding abilities that I am interested in. My only concern about this for Rome 2 is that because the current kit has not been used much by the community, CA may decide that the effort of releasing another kit for Rome is not worthwhile. I hope this won't happen though, as Rome 2 will be much more popular than Shogun 2, and the desire to mod it will be much greater.

Mapping

1. We are all pretty impressed by the progress you have made with warscape mapping. For those who may not know what this means, can you tell us the significance of your mapping work?

Well I guess the significance of my work has been that it is the first real tests into trying to see the potential and capabilities of modding Shogun 2's campaign maps using the 'Assembly Kit'. A lot of it has just been experimenting, to see which files control what on the campaign map, a task which has been rather quite tedious. However, at this stage I believe I finally have an understanding of all the files which contribute to the maps, and how to edit them.

2. How did you learn how to do this stuff, since it looks very complicated and only few modders dare tackle this project?
    Most of what I have been doing has been self taught, I have had no formal training with 3ds Max or any of the other tools I have been using (except for the GIS software, but this is not essential for modding the maps, but it can be a great aid to designing new ones). The main thing to figuring out the mechanics of modding the campaign map is just to have a desire to test it out. I didn't know everything from the start, it required a lot of experimentation and trial and error. Overall, nothing I did was really special, others could easily do it, they just need to have the drive to undertake the task.

3. What is your personal goal with mapping? What do you want to ultimately accomplish?

Well I don't have any real desire to tackle any large mapping project for Shogun 2. I do hope to maybe make some practical changes to Shogun's campaign maps when I can find the time, but a serious overhaul is unlikely. My goal has been to test out the tools and experiment with the possibilities of modding Shogun's maps, as hopefully we will see a similar set of tools eventually for Rome 2.

4. What are the biggest obstacles you see ahead of you?

The biggest obstacles ahead of myself, or anyone else modding the campaign map, is just the sheer amount of work required for the task. Deciding to work on modding the campaign maps is not something to be taken lightly. It is an extreme amount of work, work which is often extremely tedious and frustrating.

5. What stage of the mapping project are you in right now? What are you currently working on?
    Well currently I am not working on anything, I just don't have the free time to do any further experiments with mapping currently. However, when I last worked on it, I believe I finally sorted out all the different files which go into comprising the campaign maps, and how they each must be edited. If I can find time in the future you may see a few new updates from me to illustrate what is possible with campaign map modding.

6. How close are we to seeing full East Asia maps in Shogun 2?

At this stage very far, if it is ever even done. I myself don't really have the desire to tackle such a massive task, and there does not seem to be many others who do either. Even if someone does, it would take several hundred hours to complete.
    Written by Diamat.

Release: The Taiheiki Campaign
    The Taiheiki Campaign Public Beta

The Taiheiki Campaign, Hayabusa Sushi’s second installment in the Hayabusa Modding Trilogy, is a modification for Total War: Shogun 2: Rise of the Samurai. The campaign occurs following the downfall of the Kamakura Shogunate and the Hojo Regency. Emperor Go-Daigo has recovered the power lost following the Heian Period, prior to the rise of the samurai. Nonetheless, his loyal warriors have forsaken him and his ancient, outdated ways, and have threatened his dominant grip over all of Japan. In an act of utter defiance, Ashikaga Takauji proclaimed himself Shogun and established an Imperial Court of his own, exiling the Emperor to the southern province of Yamato. Japan is ripe for a bloody civil war. Will you side with the clans loyal to the exiled Emperor Go-Daigo and his newly established court in the province of Yamato? Or will you declare allegiance the new Shogun, Ashikaga Takauji, and his forces prepared to ensure power for the fearless warriors of Japan? Either way, you will be faced with a unique and challenging campaign you will be sure to enjoy!

Inspired by this period’s relatively unknown reputation, Hayabusa Sushi decided to create a campaign detailing the events between the start of the Kamakura Shogunate and the end of the Muromachi Shogunate. The campaign features an all new map specific to the Taiheiki Campaign. The player can choose from six different playable factions to conquer all of Japan. Currently, The Taiheiki Campaign is available as a public beta. For more information about The Taiheiki Campaign and its continuing development, go here!

Written by: Audacia.

Release: The Tenka Fubu Campaign
    The Tenka Fubu Campaign 1.0.5

The Tenka Fubu Campaign is a total conversion modification for Total War: Shogun 2 created by Hayabusa Sushi. The campaign begins in 1580, thirty-five years after the events of the original game and during the height of Oda Nobunaga’s reign. The Tenka Fubu Campaign offers a brand new challenge to players in addition to new clans, units, and re-worked gameplay features. Of the fifty plus clans in The Tenka Fubu Campaign, many have been created from scratch. Through the campaign, players will discover that Japan has drastically changed since the events of the original game. Clans such as the Oda, Takeda, Uesugi, Hojo, Chosokabe, and Mori have expanded their territory and acquired immense power. In The Tenka Fubu Campaign, multiple powerful clans will fight for control over all of Japan. It will be no walk in the park for the player to bring the clans of Japan to their knees.

The Tenka Fubu Campaign features twelve playable campaign clans. Will you conquer your enemies as Oda Nobunaga, the great and powerful leader of the Oda Clan? Or will you crush Nobunaga’s dream of Tenka Fubu by leading the Mori Clan to greatness? A host of non-playable campaign clans are also featured in The Tenka Fubu Campaign, all of which add depth to an already immersive campaign experience. Furthermore, fifteen additional clans are exclusively available for use in custom battles, including the Ankokuji, the Imagawa, and the Toyotomi.

As if that is not enough, The Tenka Fubu Campaign boasts an all new campaign map, depicted above. The modification also includes its own, unique launcher, new clan banners and icons, new buildings and building chains, new characters and generals, new user interface textures, reworked technologies, and much, much more. Hayabusa Sushi provides excellent faction descriptions, technical support, and installation instructions here for anyone interested in playing this excellent modification. Be sure to explore the release thread for more epic screenshots and information!

Release: Total War: Shogun 2 Gold Edition
    Total War: Shogun 2 Gold Edition

Total War: Shogun 2 Gold Edition has finally been announced! The Gold Edition includes the award winning, action packed, and wildly entertaining original Shogun 2, the captivating expansion Rise of the Samurai, and the gunpowder filled expansion Fall of the Samurai. The Gold Edition allows players to enjoy hundreds of hours of thought-provoking and exhilarating gameplay as they play through the entire Shogun 2 saga.

The Creative Assembly has released two different versions of the Gold Edition. The North American Gold Edition features Total War: Shogun 2 and its expansions, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai. Total War: Shogun 2 allows the player to fight for control over a bitterly divided feudal Japan in the middle of the sixteenth century. Players must battle many warring clans in order to achieve supremacy over the war torn island nation. Rise of the Samurai is set four hundred years prior to the bloody civil war depicted in the original game. When playing the Rise of the Samurai campaign, players find themselves in the midst of the Gempei War, a violent conflict between the Taira, Minamoto, and Fujiwara families. The war ultimately resulted in the first Shogunate and the emergence of the Samurai as the premier ruling class in Japan. Fall of the Samurai is a standalone expansion to Total War: Shogun 2. Players find themselves in the midst of another major conflict in Japanese history; this time set four hundred years after the events of the original game. The campaign largely features the fight over Japan between the Imperial throne and the last Shogunate. Fall of the Samurai additionally features gunpowder units which add an entirely new dimension to traditional melee battles.

In addition to all three titles featured in the North American version of the Gold Edition, the European and Australian version includes all released downloadable content inside lavish Wajima-nuri inspired packaging. The downloadable content includes exciting new additions to the game like the Dragon War Battle Pack, the Otomo ‘Gunpowder’ Clan Pack, the Saints and Heroes Elite Unit Pack, and much, much more. Discover more about the Total War: Shogun 2 Gold Edition here.

Release: GCM Unit Pack v0.7
    GCM Unit Pack v0.7 "Ninja Update"

Looking for new and exciting units to add to your Total War: Shogun 2 experience? Look no further! Be sure to explore the GCM Unit Pack for Shogun 2. The unit pack features brand new units during the Sengoku Jidai period, meaning that it is exclusive to the Shogun 2 and not its expansions. The modification works smoothly with multiplayer and its creator has used the new units in cooperative campaigns and custom battles. In addition, the unit pack works with the ever-famous Darthmod!

The GCM Unit Pack introduces sixteen new units to the Shogun 2 campaign. They include Matchlock Samurai Mercenaries, an elite group of matchlock samurai with high attack and defense ratings, Long Yari Samurai, an elite unit of Yari samurai equipped with long spears designed to fend off cavalry, and the Portuguese Galleon, a naval ship equipped with elite Portuguese Terco marines, Portuguese sailors and crew, and Portuguese Terco Sabres.

The unit pack includes more unique units by way of two recent updates. The “Monk Update” features a host of warrior monks, Katana Warrior Monk Cavalry, and Warrior Monk Mounted Gunners. Beware the mighty monks! The “Ninja Update” features a plethora of ninja warriors equipped with bows, mortars, and matchlock rifles. These stealthy warriors are sure to add depth to any Shogun 2 campaign! Discover more about the GCM Unit Pack here.

Release: [BETA] Clan Might Mod
    Clan Might Mod v1.0

Add a bit of might to your Shogun 2 gaming experience with the Clan Might Mod, a modification that adds a whole host of new features to Shogun 2! The Clan Might Mod adds new units, new buildings, and includes many changes. Furthermore, the modification combines the Ikko-Ikki with the Saika group.

The Clan Might Mod makes many tweaks to land units in Shogun 2. Most notably, projectiles and their statistics have been altered. The modification increases the range of muskets, bows and arrows, and siege weapons. It also features fifteen new units including Ashigaru Mercenary units and Hojo Ninja units. The Clan Might Mod adds seven new buildings to Shogun 2 as well, and makes changes regarding regional buildings and markets. The modification additionally alters diplomacy by way of improving clan relationships, trade negotiations, and marriages.

Ever feel like your generals in Shogun 2 just aren’t getting credit for their impressive victories? The Clan Might Mod increases the rate at which generals gain experience, giving them the credit they deserve! Finally, the modification increases research rates and increases the effects of technology. Discover more about the Clan Might Mod, which is still in the beta stage of development, here.

Release: Mettle Blades and Skill
    Mettle Blades and Skill

Mettle Blades and Skill

Mettle Blades and Skill is a particularly interesting modification created by Hazbones that recently has been released. It has a newly thought out concept of adding unique strengths and weaknesses to regions. Strengths and weaknesses ultimately effect recruitment and mobilization in addition to having a major impact on how the player's clan progresses technologically. Will you rule as an autocrat with an iron fist or a Daimyo that relies and trusts his vassals and allies? Other new features include the addition of mercenaries and region specific units, as well as the ability for players to draw soldiers from their vassals. As if that's not enough, Mettle Blades and Skill introduces the ability to choose region specialties players wish to use with only a few exceptions. In addition, this highly detailed modification adds new units, new technological ideas and paths, and ultimately a new campaign. Currently, the modification is in beta stage. But do not let that deter you. Mettle Blades and Skill is jam-packed with a host of exciting new features that are sure to enliven any Shogun 2 campaign. More information on this modification as well as comprehensive installation instructions can be found here.

Written by Gandalf.

Release: True Samurai
    True Samurai

True Samurai is an overhaul modification for Shogun 2 designed to completely change the face of the original game and the dynamics behind it. This mod brings about a number of smaller changes, such as editing the morale of units, to larger changes, such as major alterations to unit stats, new units like the Nanban Samurai, and a heavily altered AI for more challenging gameplay. This mod has it all, and will no doubt bring many joyous hours of killing countless Japanese warriors to any player. The main focus of this mod is to drastically increase the historical accuracy of the game. True Samurai will certainly pose a challenge, namely in the form of more tactical battles, the addition of army fatigue, and the increased role of reserves and decisive maneuvers. No longer is the game simply a war of attrition between two big blocks.

The mod also affects the campaign, changing building costs, unit recruitment times, and the passage of time, all in the pursuit of a slower paced campaign that the player can take the time to truly enjoy. Fra70, the creator of this mod, has quite clearly put an extreme amount of effort into making True Samurai. View it all for yourself right here.

Written by Gandalf.

Last edited by Audacia; July 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Empire and Napoleon news

Release: Empire Total War Mac Mod 1
    Empire Total War Mac Mod 1

dylan1381's
    Empire Total War Mac Mod 1 puts together various mods and allows them to be played on Macs, which is great news for Apple users because they can finally enjoy so many groundbreaking modifications! Some notable features include all factions unlocked complete with their own victory conditions. For example, in the short campaign, a minor German faction must unite Germany and hold 10 regions. In addition, unit size has been slightly increased, and blood and smoke have been added as well. Of course, this means battles will be bloodier than ever, with tens of thousands of units on a battlefield! But let's not forget that a lot of new units have been added, with which even more blood shall be shed! For already existing units, general re-skinning has been performed to make uniforms more realistic. But don't think that battles will be a cakewalk, the AI has been improved and offers a greater challenge for you. Don't underestimate it!

Here, for example, you can see British grenadiers:

On the visual front, this mod features a new map, which makes it more historically correct and adds historical flavor.

Here's also one of the new loading screens:

Since this is only beta, you can expect many more features and changes in future! Keep up with the updates and see if anything new is released here!

Written by: L-Burna.

Release: Minor Factions Revenge
    Minor Factions Revenge

Minor Factions Revenge by itan86 unlocks all unplayable factions, even emergent factions like the Two Sicilies and Greece. It's highly recommended to players who want to play with their own homeland, which isn't playable in the original game, or for players who feel that even the Ottoman campaign is too easy for them and want a bigger challenge. You will certainly find Minor Factions Revenge challenging playing as factions like Persia, which is surrounded by the Ottomans and Mughals in addition to being threatened by Georgia and Dagestan. The biggest threat is Marathas, which will rapidly take over all India and plan to expand even further. Persia is one of the most likely targets. New units are included for most factions as well. The new units increase strength of the minor factions, so you will be able to compete with the major factions and possibly make them sweat! Additionally, a new unit for all factions is featured, "drummers", which plays historically correct music.

Now for the eye candy! Here you can see some of the new units:

Guardie Toscane for Genoa:

Guerrieri scozzeri for Scotland:

For all the pirate lovers, the infamous Blackbeard, Black Bart and even Jack Sparrow are included! While we are at it, some factions like England, the United States, and Genoa have their own fleet color and their own marines. Ships now are cheaper both in recruitment and maintenance.

Not only are new units featured, but many other improvements, like new textures, new sounds of muskets and cannons, and improved campaign map details are included! Surely the best news for the Italian players is that the game is fully translated to Italian and so that Italians can enjoy the mod in their native language. In addition to all of this, a new campaign is available from 1789-1860, which allows you to play with previously unplayable factions like Scotland, Sardinia and Venice. In both campaigns you are able to choose if you want 2 or 4 turns in a year. Lastly, new historical buildings are added all around the map and include the Mosque of Shah for Persia, the Royal Palace of Naples for the Two Sicilies, and Frederiksborg Castle for Denmark.

For more information about this fantastic mod, pay a visit here!

Release: The Bonaparte Empire
    The Bonaparte Empire

I now present LucasMDL's fresh new mod, The Bonaparte Empire. Like you might expect from the title, this mod doesn't focus on Napoleon himself, nor France. Instead, it focuses on his brother Joseph Bonaparte, the king of Spain, and son the of Josefina, Euegene de Beauharnais, the king of Italy. As you might expect, it allows you to play with both of these nations, with Napoleon's family members as the head of those 2 states. While those two leaders had the same blood as Napoleon, they lacked his masterful military skill and authority. Fortunately, this will bring plenty of challenges to the player! Indeed, you will have a hard time as Italy to survive against Austrian assaults, especially now that they have annexed the Republic of Venice, which will shield the central European empire. You are dependent on French support. A great relief would be for France to invade Austria itself, maybe even giving you a chance to snatch Venice, and start a quest to unite all Italy! But that's left up to you!

Should you decide to play as Spain, you will encounter two major enemies in the form of Portugal and the British Empire. They have been allied since the Middle Ages, and any attempt to make one of them backstab the other will certainly fail. You will have to go the hard way, and that is to fight. If the attack succeeds, you have a chance to unite all of Iberia by conquering Portugal! Surely, regaining Gibraltar from the British would be another added perk. Fighting won't be easy seeing as though the British control the seas and can land anywhere they wish, making you to spend a lot of manpower guarding your coasts. When you invade Portugal, be certain you will encounter a British army there ready to support it. Be careful and don't underestimate your enemy!

Not only have these 2 characters have been added and factions unlocked, but the mod also features new units and technology!

Here you can see the tech tree:

And one of the new units:

Both of these 2 characters are available separately. Here you can download this unique mod and discover more information!

Release: War of 1812
    War of 1812

War of 1812 is a new mod by Rohan97 and his team. Like its title already says, its focus involves the War of 1812. War has erupted between the United States and the British Empire, involving Native tribes like the Cherokee and Iroquois as well. You may choose to play as the United States and free your brothers in Canada from the oppressive British in an effort to unite all of North America. France's and Spain's support would be ideal seeing as though you share a common foe, and, of course, the enemy of your enemy is your friend. Or you may choose to play as the British Empire and reclaim the American colonies in an effort to make an example of all rebels. Of course you may also play as the Cherokee or Iroquois, and reclaim your rightful ancestral lands. Most of them have been occupied by the invaders from east. Now that they are at war with each other, it's a perfect chance to re-conquer the lands of your fathers and grandfathers! In the next version Canada will be also be a playable faction. Since the mod is still in open beta status, it only has custom battles available so far. Nonetheless, new units are included and made by no one else than Bethencourt.

Here you can see Georgian foot militia, which will be included in the next release:

The mod is based on the War Path campaign, with a historically accurate map reflective of boundaries in 1812. Not many mods are based upon the War Path campaign, evidence that this mod is certainly unique and worth a try!

Here you can see a sneak of the map:

To get a better idea of how this mod looks, pay a visit here. You can also check out the trailer:

Relase: Empire Realism IV
    Empire Realism IV

Jam and his team are surely fast with their work, as after we had finished an article about Empire Realism III, we already have received Empire Realism IV! This version introduces new units to the game based on factions and locations. That means that any faction that controls, for example, Scotland, can recruit Scotland Line Infantry. Some factions also have unique garrison units, such as Cossack based units for Russia. This mod uses 3:1 scaling, meaning that 1 soldier on the field represents 3 soldiers and 1 meter represents 3 meters in real life. As a result, regular line infantry is a battalion of 200 men, cavalry is represented as squadrons, skirmishers are companies since they are smaller in size, and artillery is shown as a real division. While we covered quite a bit about land combat in the previous article, a few new things have been further improved in this version. One of them is experience. It now plays much bigger role in the battles. Units with high experience lose their cohesion much slower, have higher morale and their stats are overly improved. Not to mention melee battles can cause complete disorder when every man is on his own. For more information about units, pay a visit here!

This mod additionally focuses largely on faction behavior and campaign AI. Based on faction history and situation, they now behave more differently from each other than ever. This is because this mod has 3-4x bigger AI files than any other mod! Simpler things like changing nation relationships and victory conditions are further improvements to the AI. As if that's not enough, military technology has been drastically altered to better suit 18th century technological advancements. The overarching technology tree consists of infantry, cavalry, artillery and naval gunnery trees. The former one focuses on effectiveness of units, accuracy, rate of fire etc, while the cavalry tree replaces old cavalry units with new, more effective ones. Artillery becomes more and more advanced, with new ammunition types and howitzers that are even more powerful. Since the French were the masters of artillery, they have their own special artillery. Lastly, the naval gunnery tree adds more new technology, with which gun reloading time is improved.

The last thing we will touch upon is the 4.2 update. It puts a major focus on the economy. Taxation is no longer the only thing to effect growth; economical buildings also do it now. Ministers and resources like timber and wood are reworked to make them more useful. As a result the Caribbean is a richer and more important place to hold. Religion has more of an effect on relations, so it will be harder to befriend factions of different religions. Good news for players who choose to play as Spain though. The awful king Carlos II will die early like he historically did. On the military front Polish-Lithuanian, Russian, Prussian and French rosters and some units have been reworked. Also all artillery is movable and speed is based on gun weight. In colonies only colonial light artillery is available. The update comes with many, many more changes. To get more information and to download the mod, go here!

Release: Napoleon Retrofit Pack
    Napoleon Retrofit Pack

Napoleon Retrofit Pack by HappysLegi0ns aims to bring the balance and many of the battle mechanisms from Napoleon: Total War to Empire: Total War. The mod is still very vanilla-like, with the focus put on the battles in addition to small campaign changes. Eight packs are featured of which all are optional to use, so you can easily turn out a feature that you might dislike. Happy's Muzzle Flashes mod improves the base muzzle flashes greatly, very similar to what you can see in Napoleon: Total War. An alternative version is Happy's Muzzle Flashes Lingering Smoke, of which title already tells enough of it. Only one of these mods can be used at a time. The best is to check out both and decide yourself which one you prefer! Happy's Napoleon AI is the only mod-pack to focus on the campaign. It increases the AI's expansion, making the campaign faster and more action-packed, just like in Total War: Shogun 2! Happy's Napoleon Artillery changes the range and muzzle velocity of muskets, artillery and naval guns. It is greatly recommended if you like artillery of Napoleon: Total War! Happy's Napoleon Formations makes unit formations, accuracy and reload rate similar to statistics in Napoleon: Total War.

Here you can see an example of the formation:

Other mod-packs include Happy's Napoleon Upkeep and Happy's Napoleon Fort Costs, which increase unit and fort upkeep cost by half respectively. Finally, Happy's Unit Mobility increases the speed of units. This mod is mostly recommended for those who seek to improve their battle experiences without major changes to the campaign.

Don't forget to watch the trailer for a visual view of this mod:

For more information on the mod itself click here!

Release: American Civil War: Brothers vs. Brothers 3.5 Open Beta
    American Civil War: Brothers vs. Brothers 3.5 Open Beta

After a long, grueling wait, the American Civil War: Brothers vs. Brothers 3.5 Open Beta has finally been released. That's not to say that wait was not worth it. The campaign is only available on Warpath, but those who don't have it can enjoy the battles at least! A major priority for the mod's creators was realistic accuracy. Some help has been given by fellow Realism modders such as DaVinci and Jam. There are 4 major classes of weapons: rifled and smooth-bore muskets, repeating rifles and cavalry weapons. What kind of weapon each type of unit is using is visible, so you can see their usage better.

Rifled muskets constitute the basic weapons, with little differences between each type. The Mississippi and Lorenz rifles are a slightly inferior to the Springfield and Enfield rifles, but they still may play a major role in battles. The smooth-bores are special types of rifles, and while they are very ineffective in long range, they are very deadly at close range. Be sure to use them while flanking or supporting other units which are engaged in a melee battle. For long range weapons you should use the repeating rifles, which are specially meant for that. But use them wisely as well, because they have a low ammunition capacity. Cavalry weapons have a short range and are the weakest type of rifle, but they can sometimes still be useful. For battles themselves, it's important to note that weapons used at their maximum range aren't that effective; the best is to use them at 30-40 yards. Earthworks and gabionade are reworked to fit in with the time frame. Regarding the railroads, they are represented here by increasing the campaign movement points, so armies are able to reach their targets in more realistic time.

Despite having talked about weapons for great length, it is important to note the mod's incredibly unique units. New units include completely reworked or re-skinned ordinary units, famous units, generals and organizations like the Confederate Natives Cavalry and Union Marine Corps which both make an appearance. Let's take a look.

Another great accomplishment is the adding of steamship in the game for the first time. It's the only ship currently available, but you can expect more in future!

Like we expected, new pictures and quotes have been added in an effort to increase immersion. Surely you will discover many more features while playing this groundbreaking mod. If you can't wait that long or simply are itching for information, visit the main thread here!

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Medieval II News

Preview: Stainless Steel 7.0
    Stainless Steel 7.0 Preview III

The Stainless Steel modification team recently unveiled their third preview to satisfy eager fans anxiously awaiting the release of Stainless Steel 7.0. The third preview details all new artwork created by Hero of the West, the newest member to the Stainless Steel development group. He finalizes the artwork for ancillaries either by altering the existing artwork or creating entirely new artwork from scratch. His earlier attempts at creating artwork for all ancillaries were included in Stainless Steel 6.4. He describes those versions as “rough.” However rough they may be, it is clear the versions included in this preview for Stainless Steel 7.0 are impeccable.

As if that is not enough, Hero of the West is also diligently working on adding new ancillaries! While most will be ordinary ancillaries, others will have a role-playing element surrounding them. Furthermore, a faction heir system will be implemented in Stainless Steel 7.0. The preview states that this new system will contain a variety of heir crowns for a number of different religions. Hero of the West hopes his efforts will not only improve the artwork for all ancillaries, but positively impact gameplay experience as well. For more information regarding the preview, including more fantastic artwork, go here!

Preview: Stainless Steel 7.0
    Stainless Steel 7.0 Preview IV

The Stainless Steel modification team recently unveiled their fourth preview for the highly anticipated Stainless Steel 7.0. The fourth preview for the seventh installment of the exceptionally popular modification details an all new units overhaul. The overhaul will constitute significant roster changes based upon detailed research alongside stunning visual work. The visual effects will, according to the team, impact computer performance. While the developers are using the same texture sheet sizes as the original Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms expansion, they have focused their efforts on creating better UV mapping and higher resolution textures. The results are wonderfully detailed units with complex variations that will be a larger load on computer performance. Nonetheless, the dedicated developers of Stainless Steel continue to work at balancing performance and visual effects.

In addition, the preview includes multiple in-game screenshots of new and improved units that are part of the overhaul, including the revamped Templar Knights depicted above. The highly detailed images give an accurate sense of how immersive Stainless Steel 7.0 will be to the player. Take a look at the rest of the spectacular screenshots revealed in the preview here!

Preview: Europa Barbarorum
    The Areuakoi

The Europa Barbarorum II team proudly unveiled a preview of the Areuakoi, featuring a detailed history of the ancient tribe in addition to screenshots and descriptions of their fearless warriors. The Areuakoi, commonly referred to as the Arevaci by the Romans, reside in the mountains and valleys of northern Iberia. They have had to defend their homeland and prosperity from envious tribal neighbors seeking to seize their valuable assets. Warriors of the Areuakoi travel south and east to fight in the wars of the Phoenicians or the Greeks. They return with many tales and unprecedented wealth. The warlike Areuakoi wield the falcatas or gladius in battle, and are protected by strong armor. Their skirmishers pepper the enemy with javelins, and their reputable cavalry harass and flank enemies, of whom there are many. A multitude of different peoples surround the Areuakoi, including powerful tribes like the Vascones and Ilergetes, the Greeks, and the Phoenicians. The player will have to summon all of the warriors of the Areuakoi and vanquish the peoples of Iberia in order to achieve victory.

The Europa Barbarorum II team makes it quite obvious that progress continues to be made on this massive modification for the Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms expansion. The preview features numerous screenshots and descriptions of all new units, such as the Arevaci Champions depicted above. These warrior elites, renowned for their exceptional bravery, stand as giants in their community. They are equipped with the finest equipment and practice their combat skills from sunrise until sunset. They will be an integral aspect of players’ Areuakoi armies. Other striking new units include Arevaci Medium Spearmen, Lancer Cavalry, and a plethora of Iberian warriors.

Europa Barbarorum II is sure to be a revolutionary, groundbreaking modification. Their preview of the Areuakoi demonstrates the detail the team pours into making the most historically accurate modification possible. Their exhaustive history of the Iberian tribes reflects their unparalleled dedication to historical research and authenticity. The stunning new units of the Areuakoi compliment the team’s commitment to accuracy. Go here to discover more about the Areuakoi and the other tribes of Iberia, and be sure to frequent the Europa Barbarorum II forums for more updates!

Preview: Westeros Total War
    House Tully of Riverrun Preview

I only recently got into the Game of Thrones show on HBO, but over the last few weeks have watched all three seasons. Last night I happened to watch episode nine of season three, so you fans out there, you know how much pain I am in right now, especially as this fantastic preview by the Westeros Total War team concerns one of the houses involved in that episode. Yep, it's House Tully of Riverrun!

The team have done a great job in terms of providing a full unit roster for this faction, and players can enjoy a very balanced army if they so choose. While the skins of the units are of a high quality, what fans will particularly like is the level of depth brought to this House by units from the tributary houses and lands of Riverrun. Blackwood bowmen, Bracken cavalry and Mallister seaguards give you the opportunity to not only enjoy plenty of variety on the battlefield, but also to role play this faction at great length which can provide that extra level of enjoyment. But enough words from me, let these pictures speak for themselves, and see the rest over on their post in Westeros Total War forum!

Click to view content: 

Preview: Tsardoms Total War
    Knights of St. John Preview

If you are not familiar with Tsardoms Total War, this is a great opportunity to discover an extremely promising mod in production for Medieval 2: Total War. Set in 1345 and concluding in 1530, this mod will be focusing on the Balkons, Near East, eastern and central Europe, Italy and Switzerland with a full twenty five factions to choose from. The tenth preview that the team has provided so far is for the Knights of St. John.

Click to view content: 

This has to be one of the most in-depth previews I have set eyes upon, so if you aren't sure who these Knights actually were, be sure to go on over to their main preview thread because they offer an extensive historical review. This is a particularly exciting faction because they begin with just a handful of Greek islands, offering a tough challenge to players, but also a semblance of security with a wall of water between them and their foes.

Click to view content: 

There are three different branches of military units that come with the Hospitallers. Members of the Order include various Knights of St. John units, such as Hospitaller Sergeants and Hospitaller Brother Knights, and it must be said that the units look incredible.

Click to view content: 

The other two military branches consist of Greek, Armenian and Turkpole auxiliaries, and Western colonists and mercenaries. They add a good amount of variety and depth to the units list, and give players opportunities for varying army styles and setups. Of course, even though these units are easier to obtain than the Knights, they still look great.

Click to view content: 

This is the tenth preview produced by the Tsardoms Total War team, and one of their finest. This modification is going to be a great addition for the Total War community, and their hard work should be applauded. To find out more, check out their forum here on Total War Center.

Last edited by Audacia; July 10, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Eras News

Preview: RTR VII Patch 3 is Released
    RTR VII Patch 3 is Released

RTR VII Patch 3 is now released by the RTR Team! This new patch introduces us a new faction; The Cimbri. Cimbri are a German tribe originally from Jutland, who settled Denmark and later migrated to Central and Western Europe. From history the tribe is known for their clashes against Gauls and Romans.

The patch also introduces us a completely revised Health and Water Supply system. This recreates the environment of cities to match the reality; the poor would live among their filth and the rich would enjoy far better conditions. It as well changed the building tree, the city core buildings now have a negative health bonus, so building those sewers is a huge benefit!

All the unit and building descriptions have now been filled in by Annunak. You are now able to read about the background behind factions, and of usage of buildings and the units. Besides all that, all the Ships have been revised for all factions. They all have now access historically accurate ship types. Naval combat is now more varied with war galleys and trading ships roaming around the seas.

Finally, the Units. There is a quite selection of new units to choose from, added by Caligula Caesar and balanced by Mcantu. They have been able to bring variety to the unit roster by adding units supplied by RS2 and PI teams. Caligula Caesar has also been able to get the Reforms working. The Marian Reforms are now available for you once certain conditions are met in-game. Greek reforms are also working now, and the Getai reforms have been added again!

The map has been been completely re-balanced. Most regions have been renamed and spread out over the map more, to portray the Era accurately. The greatest changed are made in Asia Minor, which now is much more interesting place to play in then before. Not to forget the new strong mini-factions!

Written by: Clagius.

Release: Preview VI: The Warriors of the Steppe
    Preview VI: The Warriors of the Steppe

Sixth faction preview of RESTITVTOR ORBIS is now released! The Warriors of the Steppe. Alans, Iazyges and Eastern Heruli.

The Alans were a group of nomadic Sarmatian tribes of Indo-Aryan and Iranian descent. They inhabited the northeast steppes by the Azov Sea, although different sources claim that they controlled also areas from the Black Sea to the north of Caspian and Aral seas, and possibly northwest Sogdia. In the early first century Strabo mentioned that the King of Alans, Spadines could field up to 200,000 Horse archers. Later, Josephus mentions how frequently the Alans raided the Parthian and Armenian realms, which means they weren't poor either. Ammianus describes them as fierce and savage warriors with a taste for raiding and plunder. They were also known to scalp their enemies and use these as war trophies. The Alan military mainly consisted of Light horse archer cavalry, using composite-bows and being supported by Noble heavy cavalry armed with lances, swords, maces, spears and axes, and the armour was either scale or lamellar at later period.

The Iazyges or Jazyges were a nomadic tribe of Sarmation origin. The Iazyges first appeared along the Sea of Azov around 200 B.C. They are referred as the wandering or migrant Iazyges by Ptolemy, before moving westward along the northern shores of the Black Sea. They are known to have served as allies of Pontus King Mithradates VI Eupator in his war against the Romans in 88-84 B.C. Around 78-76 B.C, they had settled in the Baragan Plains in Dacia, north of the Danube. At this time, the Romans had sent a punitive expedition over the Danube in an attempt to overawe the Iazyges, and other nomadic tribes. Iazyges took advantage of the Kingdom of Dacia, Rome's enemy in the region, although by 7 B.C the Dacian Kingdom had begun to collapse, and Romans took an advantage of the situation and encouraged the Iazyges to settle in the Pannonian plain. The Iazyges, remaining semi-nomadic, watered their cattle along the shores of the Black Sea every summer, and a Roman conquest of Dacia would interrupt their pastoral way of life. Eventually, they were to become a problem for the Romans, so the Emperor Domitian was forced to interrupt an ongoing campaign against the Dacians to harass the Iazyges. In early 92 A.D, the Iazyges and their allies crossed the Danube into the Roman province of Pannonia where they plundered the province and destroyed the Roman Legion XXI Rapax, which was disbanded in disgrace soon afterwards. Fighting continued until Domitian’s death in 96 A.D. Soon after Dacian Kingdom was conquered by Trajan in 101-105 A.D, the Emperor Trajan sent his general, Hadrian, in 107 A.D to force the Iazyges to submit. Trajan died in 117 A.D and was succeeded by Hadrian, who moved to protect his predecessor's gains. Eventually the Romans kept Dacia, the Iazyges stayed independent, accepting a client relationship with Rome.

The Iazygen military was similiar to other Sarmatian tribes, making use of horse archery and heavily equipped cavalry. Tacilus states that the Cataphracts were so heavily armoured that weren't able to lift themselves from the ground if dismounted, as both the rider and the horse were covered in heavy scale armor, and yielded heavy lances.

The Heruli were an East Germanic tribe who migrated from Scandinavia to the Black sea in the third century. Chronicler Jordanes claims a tradition that they had been driven out of their homeland by the North Germanic Dani, which places their origins in the Danish isles or southern Sweden. Heruli society was known to be extremely brutal and vicious. They were known to practice human sacrifice, and a form of senicide, where a non-relative would kill the sick and the elderly, cremating their remains on a wood pyre. Heruli women, on being widowed, were expected to commit suicide by hanging. Their military were known to not wear armour (save a shield). Heruli slaves are known to have accompanied them into combat, but were forbidden to carry a shield until proven in battle. Their elite units, known as the Rosomoni due to the red tattoos that covered their body, practiced a form of cranial deformation intended to present a terrifying visage. Being Germanic in nature, it is likely their infantry would have been just as capable as their cavalry. In 268 A.D, according to Zosimus they had 2000-6000 ships and 325,000 men. Which with they sacked Byzantium and Chrysopolis, before entering into the Aegean and ravaging its islands, including Crete, Rhodes and Cyprus. The fleet also sacked Troy and Ephesus, destroying the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, and it is not known if it was rebuilt. It is known they planned to invade Italy, but were stopped by the Naissus river by Claudius. Large numbers on both sides were slain, but in the crucial point of battle, the Romans feigned a retreat before turning about and slaughtering and capturing upwards of 50,000 warriors. For this action, Claudius received the title of Gothicus.

The preview gives us few samples of the units made for these factions;

The Alans have Horse Archers, Armoured Horse Archers, Lancers, Cataphracts and Noblemen. Alan Horse archers are a skilled and mobile light cavalry force, using light armor and composite bows. Alan Armoured Horse Archers are highly skilled and heavily armoured, using composite bows like their lighter counterparts. Alan Lancers are a shock force, best used to break the enemy formations, they are heavily armoured and wield their overhand lances. Alan Cataphracts are very heavily armoured, with a devastating charge, making a great impact on the enemy. Alan Noblemen are chosen bodyguards of the Alan lords, they are very well trained, using their heavy lanced and to be used in the moment of great need.

The Iazyges have Quadi Light Skirmishers, Carpi Falxmen, Iazyges Lancers, Iazyges Armoured Horse Archers, Iazyges Cataphract Lancers, Iazyges Argaragantes and Royal Argaragantes. Quadi Light Skirmishers are lightly equipped, best used to harass the enemy with missiles. Carpi Falxmen are lightly armoured and fearsome soldiers using their two-handed falx weapons, falx was able to penetrate any exposed part of the enemy's body. Iazyge Lancers are elite cavalry, wearing heavy armour and devasting two-handed lances on the battlefield, they have very few equals, which makes them feared unit to be reckoned with. Iazyge Armoured Horse Archers are elite horsemen and archers, dangerous foes riding heavily armoured horses, and wearing heavy armour. Iazyge Cataphract Lancers are elite heavy cavalry, with only few to match their skills, they are wearing heavy armour and riding heavily armoured horses. Iazyge Argaragantes are noble cavalry of Iazyges, these horsemen are the noble counterpart of Cataphract Lancers. Royal Argaragantes are the chosen boduguards of Iazyge rulers; heavily armed and fearsome on the battlefield.

The Heruli have Saka Foot Archers, Herulja Light Infantry, Herulja Warband, Herulja Heavy Warband, Herulja Berserkers, Herulja Harjaz, Saka Horse Archers, Cavalry Herulja, Saka Cataphracts and Heruli Noble Cavalry. Saka Foot Archers are deadly steppe archers, used as a support unit rather than a line infantry. Herulja Light Infantry are lightly equipped skirmishers, best used to harass the enemy with missiles, although they are capable of fighting in melee as well. Herulja Warband are brutal foot soldiers, wearing only their tunics and using frightening tactics on the battlefield. Herulja Heavy Warband are more heavily equipped counterpart of the regular Warband, using mail chests and conically shaped helmets affected by their Steppe culture. Herulja Berserkers are the most dangerous soldiers the Heruli field, the repeated stress of battle, strong drink or the potent, drugged brews of witchery - or all three - make them into fearless, slavering beasts with swords. Herulja Harjaz are noble footmen led by the warlods, they are a personal elite guard of able and fierce warriors. Saka Horse Archers are highly skilled light horse cavalry using their composite bows, and light armour. Cavalry Herulja are a barbarian shock cavalry force, best used to flank enemies on the right moment. Saka Cataphracts are heavily armoured riders on armoured horses, their ponderous lance charges make them truly a force to reckon with. Heruli Noble Cavalry are a personal elite cavalry guard for the warlords, made of able and fierce warriors.

Spoiler for Screenhots of Units

Check the full preview from here!

Release: Amazon: Total War 7.0 Release
    Amazon: Total War 7.0 Release

The mod contains female nudity, viewer discretion is advised.

Amazon: Total War 7.0 is now released! The Amazon: Total War is a mod based around Amazon warfare, being a tribute to ancient matriarchal societies. The mod introduces us four Amazon factions, which are Geothe Amazonia, Thermodon Amazonia, Thyssagetae/Thyssa and Libyan Amazon. There is also four Neo-Amazon factions which are Far Eastern Celt, Armenia, Sarmatia and Carthage.

The 7.0 introduces us many new aspects in the mod. Guerilla Warfare, you can now infiltrate the enemy territory and raise an army behind the enemy lines. Deploying area denial minefield with field engineers, a feature never seen in RTW game before! Terrifying incendiary weapons, rain fire upon your enemies and strife fear to enemy lines! New extended campaign map, from British Isles to Afghanistan. Mobility and stand-off weapon capability using various women cavalry units. Also, many new units are added such as the Linked Armor-Clad Cavalry, cavalry formation which dominated Eurasia for centuries. Dreadful wagon fighting units with various battle tactics. Long Range Mobile Artillery, allowing artillery barrage, fire-support, and counter-battery. Four new chariot units with deadly longbows! And many re-balanced Amazon units. The new lush scenery with brilliant landscape, using faster custom RSII Environments make both the campaign and battles more fun to play and interesting!

Release: Gen.jamesWolfe's Seven Years War
    Gen.jamesWolfe's Seven Years War

Seven Years War is a mod focused in the conflicts and events from 1748 to 1765, and especially to years of 1756 and 1763. The mod started as a sub-mod to Napoleonic Wars 2 Total War -mod. The project got more ambitious and became an independent mod with it's own mod-folder. The mod has only 2-3 modders working on it at the times, Gen.jamesWolfe being the project leader.

The mod itself has 18 Europeans factions, and the Ottoman Empire, Mughal Empire and pirates, independents and such. There are over 300 European units to choose from, all with accurate uniforms within the period. All units stats are different, for example the European units fight shoulder-to-shoulder in formations, appropriate to the period of the mod. Skirmisher units are more effective, but come in lower numbers, while the Jaeger (Riflemen) fire whilst kneeling. Additionally, the units carry their weapons shouldered. All of the units have realistic custom animations, muskets for example fire only 2-3 shots in a minute. Artillery of the mod comes in 5 types; Field, Siege, Mortar, Howitzer, and Special pieces. The Cavalry has been totally overhauled, to add more realistic effect. All classes of cavalry have their own roles. The most popular cavalry units in the period were Cuirassiers, Dragoons and Hussars. The mod also introduces us Native American Units, fighting as close as possible as the real natives at the time did. There is 3 campaigns; One in Europe, one in India and one in Americas. Europe being the main one.

Release: LOTR-TW 3.0
    LOTR-TW 3.0

Lord of the Rings - Total War 3.0 has now been released! LOTR-TW is a total conversion mod for Alexander expansion of Rome Total War. The mod was originally created by Wlesmana, but now is mainly being led by Seth Krn3ll and Bardo. LOTR-TW focuses primarily on the movie trilogy, and the setting within. In the mod you are able to play as many different and interesting factions such as Mordor and Gondor. The mod includes Campaign, Custom Battles and Historical Battles.

As of 3.0, most cities and scenarios are remodeled and have a beautiful and unique looks, perfect for you to have satisfying and epic battles in them. This version also introduces us new battlemap environments including terrain generator, grass textures, grass, trees and new unique climates and terrains. Many of the units are retextured and many new are added, including the fearsome Ents! Campaign map is now improved as well with new and better terrain textures, regional borders, climatic map. Concerning the campaign itself, many changes has been made, including readjusted population growth and trade system, recruitment trees and areas to recruit special units.

Spoiler for Screenshots

Read more and download here!

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

Vault Staff column

Vault Column III: Strategyinformer
    Vault Column III

Hello TWC! It is my honor and a pleasure to present to you the third issue of the TWC Modding Vault Column.

This is our 1 year anniversary edition, hooray! Technically, the TWC Modding Vault was founded based on a CVRIAL Decision in order to prevent Total War modifications from going MIA. So actually we're even older than one year, but it was end of February 2012 when the Vault Staff took it's recent professional shape and we're an official Department of the Technical Staff Branch of TWC since June 2012.

It is my humble pleasure to take the opportunity and thank all former and present Vault Keepers for their tireless dedication and contributions! Without you, the Vault would not be what it is today; a well maintenanced archive containing more than 300 major modifications of a combined total of roughly more than 160GB.

You guys are just great!

Today, Vault Staff is still committed to searching the Total War dedicated modding fora for each and every mod ever released on TWC larger than 100mb and every tool regardless of size, download and test them and then archive them on Atlas, the official TWC Vault Server. Whenever a mod that is archived in the Vault might get MIA, meaning that absolutely no working download link can be found on TWC, every member of TWC can pay us a visite and request a download link to said mod, which then will be provided by us.

Choosing a good site where a modder can upload his work to is crucial when it comes to distributing it to the fans. As obvious as that sounds, in practice this is not so easy. Depending on where on the planet a modder is located at, his internet accessibility and his willingness to register and thus share some of his personal data with a host on the one hand, the sheer amount of hosting sites out there on the other hand make this not as easy a decision as it may look like.

But what makes a file hosting page a good host? There are a lot of different opinions based upon diverging personal preferences out there, but since it all comes down to how a modder can get his stuff across to his fans, there are a couple of features we think are the most important for a good host. Each category will be rated on a scale from 1 to 10 where 10 is the top score reachable. Our main categories are:

• Accessibility
    • Storage size per file
    • Download speed
    • Time files are stored

There are more features of interest, like kind of files stored, is a program needed to upload or download files and many more which will be dealt with on a case to case basis, but the above described could be considered as the crucial four.

Today we're going to have a look at Strategyinformer

Let's have a look at our crucial four:

• Accessibility (20):
      • Upload (8):
        In order to upload you have to create an account. Registration is easily achieved and it's for free. As a bonus you don’t have to give away any personal details besides a valid email address. You can basically upload any file you want to. Strategyinformer's Terms of Service are pretty neat and straight forward, all you have to ensure is not to violate any copyright laws. As long as you don't do that, you can upload any file you like. However, Strategyinformer prefers hosting finished products such as demos, patches, mods, total conversions and is not too fond of hosting working data for modding teams. If that is what you're looking for, we suggest to you to use other hosting sites instead.
        Concerning file approval, the first files any user will upload are checked and verified by Strategyinformer staff. If you get past 5 approved uploads, every further upload will be auto-approved!
      • Download (10):
        No registration required.

• Size per file (10):
      There is only a theoretical limit to the size of a single file uploaded.
    • Download speed (8.5):
      Varies, but is generally rather good. In Europe you usually get a speed of 150 to 250kb/s for your first download depending on where you are located at and what the quality of your internet connection is like. When you start multiple downloads you will recognize a speed cap for every additional file. Our tests for multiple downloads have shown an average result of speeds around 180kb/s for the first, 90kb/s for the second, 60kb/s for the third and 40kb/s or less for every additional download.
    • Time files are stored (10):
      This is one of the chief reasons why we suggest using Strategyinformer as your host of choice for finished products, there is no restriction on time files are stored. When you have finished your product, you upload it, make sure all the info associated with it is what you want it to be and then just forget about it. It will never perish.

Strategyinformer receives a sterling ranking of 46.5 of 50 possible points and clearly is one of our favorite file hosts for finished products out there.

As a bonus, Strategyinformer provides the possibility, just like moddb which we reviewed in our last column, to add further information with your uploads and members can provide feedback to your products!

That’s about it from the Vault for our anniversary issue, see you next time around.
    Take care and enjoy modding!

Written by: Aikanár.

Roma Surrectum II

Content Emeritus

The best publication for Total War and modding news!

List of Contributors
    Director of Content
    Omnipotent-Q

Chief Editor
    The Dutch Devil

Deputy Editor
    Audacia

Chief Reporters
    Rome II News - Shackleton
    Shogun II News - Audacia
    Empire and Napoleon News - L-Burna
    Medieval II News - Audacia
    Eras News - Clagius

Guest Reporter
    Confederate Jeb

Vault Columnist
    Aikanár

Reporters
    ♔Old Dragoon♔
    Gandalf.

Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; July 07, 2013 at 05:24 AM.

Roma Surrectum II

Clagius's Avatar Campidoctor

Yummy.

Hetman Khmelnytsky's Avatar Senator

Great issue there
    Kudos to Audacia

Tiro

Nicely done.
    Sorry for my bad english , I don't mind correcting!

Content Emeritus

Let's just say that I will be switching to Imageshack...

Roma Surrectum II

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Great issue guys. Just wanted to thank you for the last minute inclusion of the Tsardoms Knights Hospitaller preview. You rock!

Great issue

Content Emeritus

Thank you! Stay tuned for the next issue which should be out in a little over a week!

Roma Surrectum II

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Can't wait!

Indefinitely Banned

They always put together good issues !

play now this