Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] The Spanish Civil War

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: [WIP] The Spanish Civil War

Awesome

Hello everyone, I'm making this post to explain what is going on with my work on the the campaign:

First off, and to clarify, it is impossible to add new factions to a NTW startpos. Considering this, we have to live with only four factions in our campaign. These will be: Republican Spain, Nationalist Spain, Portugal and a joint Anglo-French faction, which controls Gibraltar and the part of France present on the map. Furthermore, and to keep the campaign focused, we are planning on having the two Spanish contenders the only playable factions in the campaign.

Anyways, moving on to what is done, all factions have new starting positions, as show in this map (also available on the OP):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

All factions also have new, historical diplomatic relations and attributes. The Spanish hate each other mutually, the Portuguese are friendly towards the Nationalists and the Anglo-french are friendly towards the Republicans. The stability of these relations needs to be tested.

To support this and simulate the popular convulsion in Spain at the time, we are replacing the vanilla pro-french and anti-french sentiment system to pro-republican and pro-nationalist system. These have agents associated with them that can expand the influence amidst the population and the existence of a sentiment contrary to that of your faction (example: pro-nationalist sentiment in a region controlled by the Republicans) will cause disorder.

The startpos, right now, is just "contemplative". We still have to enable buildings and units to each of the factions and there are still a lot of details to be polished, but it's progressing well, it should be playable as soon as those are done unless a major setback appears.

Deeper changes like starting armies and changes in the characters, other than main politicians and generals, are further down the line and will not be in a first version.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

What was the reason to make it a Anglo-french faction? Great Britain had much less interest for an involvement in the spanish conflict than the french left-wing government which was supportive of the republicans but hesitated due to internal conflict (conservatives who supported the nationals).
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Frank Ryan's Avatar Foederatus

Yes, the British and French were in the Non Intervention pact, which ignored the blatant German and Italian support for the Nationalists. Only Russia and Mexico were supportive of the Republic,

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    What was the reason to make it a Anglo-french faction? Great Britain had much less interest for an involvement in the spanish conflict than the french left-wing government which was supportive of the republicans but hesitated due to internal conflict (conservatives who supported the nationals).

That startpos is going to make Aragón incredibly important ...

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm making this post to explain what is going on with my work on the the campaign:

First off, and to clarify, it is impossible to add new factions to a NTW startpos. Considering this, we have to live with only four factions in our campaign. These will be: Republican Spain, Nationalist Spain, Portugal and a joint Anglo-French faction, which controls Gibraltar and the part of France present on the map. Furthermore, and to keep the campaign focused, we are planning on having the two Spanish contenders the only playable factions in the campaign.

Anyways, moving on to what is done, all factions have new starting positions, as show in this map (also available on the OP):

All factions also have new, historical diplomatic relations and attributes. The Spanish hate each other mutually, the Portuguese are friendly towards the Nationalists and the Anglo-french are friendly towards the Republicans. The stability of these relations needs to be tested.

To support this and simulate the popular convulsion in Spain at the time, we are replacing the vanilla pro-french and anti-french sentiment system to pro-republican and pro-nationalist system. These have agents associated with them that can expand the influence amidst the population and the existence of a sentiment contrary to that of your faction (example: pro-nationalist sentiment in a region controlled by the Republicans) will cause disorder.

The startpos, right now, is just "contemplative". We still have to enable buildings and units to each of the factions and there are still a lot of details to be polished, but it's progressing well, it should be playable as soon as those are done unless a major setback appears.

Deeper changes like starting armies and changes in the characters, other than main politicians and generals, are further down the line and will not be in a first version.

I sure hope we get to see the Flak 36 or any other interwar 88 variant make an appearance as a Nationalist anti tank gun/light artillery weapon. One of the most iconic of artillery pieces in all of history, and they got their first taste of combat with the Condor Legion as an anti tank, anti air and anti bunker gun.

Gibraltar is on the map. Given the fuss over the "Rock" in real life, I imagine Admiral and EB didn't want to generate controversy by giving it to France or to a Spanish faction. So they make do with an unsatisfying solution born of an uncomfortable historical problem. (Sounds familiar?)

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    Gibraltar is on the map. Given the fuss over the "Rock" in real life, I imagine Admiral and EB didn't want to generate controversy by giving it to France or to a Spanish faction. So they make do with an unsatisfying solution born of an uncomfortable historical problem. (Sounds familiar?)
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

It would be illogical to have a purely French faction or one of the Spanish contenders holding Gibraltar. Also, Portugal and the Anglo-french are just there because territory they held is contained on the map, the focus, as stated above, is on Spain.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I also had an idea of using a League of Nations flag I found to represent the Anglo-French Entente, although it was only adopted 1939. It would be better than seeing a tricolor flying over Gibraltar. Entente units will most likely look like the Interwar/World War II French Army as France would be most-likely to intervene sooner. In any case, Britain and France's foreign policy in taking care of the Balance of Power in Europe were often linked and mutual anyway. They really shouldn't pose a problem on the campaign anyway unless you declare war on them or you make them very angry.

As far as featuring the 88, I'll ask B-Dizl if he would like to make an 88 gun for us, but possibly for later. I don't think it really gained its fame as a AT/Artillery gun yet and was mostly used for AA in this conflict but I will do more research.

With how iconic and effective an artillery piece the 88 was, I really do think it should deserve a place in a game set in the 1930's or 1940's. And from what I'm reading, I'm finding it seems to have been used far more to knock out tanks and bunkers, than for trying to swat aircraft, in the case of the Spanish Civil War. Also, it could be fired from its gun carriage as well without having to set up (although it wasn't as stable a platform) allowing it to be very versatile and mobile. Basically the 88 would form the role of a light artillery piece/heavy anti tank gun that doesn't have to be deployed to fire, and can move freely, quickly stopping to lay fire on an enemy tank or bunker.

"Place in history:
    The rugged, hard-hitting, and adaptable 88 mm gun was the most famous artillery weapon of World War II. German designers, working in Sweden to avoid treaty restrictions, developed the gun in the late 1920s. The "flak" gun got its name from the German word Flugabwehrkanone, meaning aircraft defense cannon. During the Spanish Civil War, German troops fired the guns at oncoming tanks and fortified bunkers with very effective results. This success in combat led to versions of the 88 mm gun equipped to engage ground targets that were in view or barrage enemies from long range. The gun's high muzzle velocity and heavy projectile made the "eighty-eight" particularly effective against tanks. During World War II, 88 mm guns were often employed to attack high-flying Allied bombers. The gun could propel its 20.25-pound high-explosive shell to altitudes beyond 30,000 feet at a rate of about 15 projectiles per minute. When an "eighty-eight" shell hit directly, it often completely destroyed a bomber."

http://www.flyingheritage.com/Templa...x?contentId=34

In the Spanish Civil War (1936-39), the German Condor Legion deployed a mobile flak detachment with 88s, which proved accurate and versatile in combat.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/s...y-flak-183637/

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    Fascinating. A friend and I were talking just a few weeks ago about what it would be like if we fought in a sort of International Brigade in the Ukraine.

By the way, our ModDB page is up. I will try to update it alongside the TWC page. I will keep this thread up as our "home base." Our ModDB page is here.

I will try to get out a few more unit updates soon as well.
    Hope you don't mind, but I have put a link to the ModDB page on the IBMT facebbok page. Hope that isn't sacrilege!

The more publicity the better!

Patrician

I would love to try modelling the 88mm flak but only if decent blueprints can be found, that gun is rather complex.

Somebody has done this here:
    http://forum.warthunder.com/index.ph...k-88-3d-model/

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    I would love to try modelling the 88mm flak but only if decent blueprints can be found, that gun is rather complex.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

the 8.8 Flak 18 was only deployed in very limited numbers by the Legion Condor and mostly used in anti-aircraft role (for which it was designed) but against ground targets it was completely devastating. Also it had neither a shield nor anti-tank ammunition.

This was the main anti-tank gun of the nationalists:

37mm Pak 36

and 30 italian Cannone da 47/32 M35 were also used

here is a list of republican anti-tank guns: http://www.sbhac.net/Republica/Fuerz...rtCC/ArtCC.htm
    Last edited by Mayer; May 29, 2014 at 07:03 AM.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
    Very nice but waaaaaay too high poly for this game.

the 8.8 Flak 18 was only deployed in very limited numbers by the Legion Condor and mostly used in anti-aircraft role (for which it was designed) but against ground targets it was completely devastating. Also it had neither a shield nor anti-tank ammunition.

This was the main anti-tank gun of the nationalists:

37mm Pak 36

and 30 italian Cannone da 47/32 M35 were also used

here is a list of republican anti-tank guns: http://www.sbhac.net/Republica/Fuerz...rtCC/ArtCC.htm
    Those are nice, i guess these would be much more appropriate than the 88 yes?

There are some pretty good blueprints further down the thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Very nice but waaaaaay too high poly for this game.

Patrician

So apparently one tread from the T26 has as many poly as an entire tank i made for TGW

So im currently working to lower the poly count and make the LOD 2 version with even less polys.

Apologies for the lack of updates lately. I've been busy with things in real life, but this week I hope to get more progress done. At this point in time it's all about digging in and working on some of the more complex parts of the project which means that there might be less to show to people for some time. Rest easy though, because we're still working hard!

A little mini-update for you all.

Can you guess who these guys are?