Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gameplay & Balancing Feedback

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Gameplay & Balancing Feedback

Exactly as the title says, just please be civil with whatever you say.

Default Re: Suggestions/Critiques thread

Question

What about unit sizes. How will this be balanced. I presume a lot of tribal cultures would not have the large armies of the Rome 2 era. Whereas more civilized cultures do have these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by the count View Post
    Question

What about unit sizes. How will this be balanced. I presume a lot of tribal cultures would not have the large armies of the Rome 2 era. Whereas more civilized cultures do have these numbers.
    thats exactly it, although populations in europe and the steppe as a broad average rose from the bronze age to the iron age some areas could field larger armies than they could in the classical period, such as Scandinavian(it was much warmer and more organized, almost to the level of mycenaean greece if not more) For smaller nations to tackle the big guys, they will need to either make large unified alliances to amass the numbers or heavily increase their populations.

the same unit sizes for all units like Rome 2.

,,I presume a lot of tribal cultures would not have the large armies of the Rome 2 era"

yeah but in northern bronzeage the climate was warmer,the people were wealthy, and they built larger longhouses than the Rome 2 germanics!

In southern Germany the Urnfield people built ,,Pfahlbauten" , 500 people lived in the biggest settlement. There were 120 Pfahlbauten around the sea!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

also the people built forts to defend their settelments

You knew about the germanic migration ? The climate changed in northern europe, the lands were over populated and the germanic invasion began!

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

i agree, script and centralized government, weren't the thing, but europe was indeed well populated. especially in the alpine sea regions. a lake-dwelling settlement was very easy to defend. and culture and trade flourished around the lakes, as water is always a cultural catalyser.
    if someone would've been able to concentrate the resources the europeans would definitely have been a military threat.
    it's really similar to the mongolian tribes. once they stopped the inner conflicts and were united they were much more powerful.

In Bronze Age the eastern steppes of the Andronovo culture were more populated than in iron age.

1500-2500 people lived in one town like Arkaim or sintashta

[SPOILER]

[SPOILER]

Also in southern Germany , the kingdom in Bernsdorf has a noble class and a god cult . The bronze age fort 1350 BC was built to defend their lands against enemies. This Urnfield people traded amber and gold with mycene.

Also the ,,goldhat" cults in france and Germany

and the sky disc of Nebra improve large communities and high technology!

or the Kammhelm of Biebesheim

armor

or greaves

vlakc's Avatar Civis

These are just a few personal suggestions, however, the mod still belongs to the development team, they are free to ignore these suggestions if they think they aren't that much worth it or if they were already planning to add them from the beginning.

-I have seen a lot of impressive work on the visuals of units for this mod, but I also hope you make all the generals for each culture/faction look awesome and not bland as the vanilla generals (sort of what DeI did for hellenic, carthaginian and celtic generals)

-I don't know if it's too much work or not, but you could change the text/script of dilemmas and their respective options and outcomes instead of using the vanilla ones, surely though many of the vanilla ones should work; all of this for better immersion

-I would love if you did something similar to this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=186985363 for AoB and each culture will have a different UI.

Quote Originally Posted by vlakc View Post
    These are just a few personal suggestions, however, the mod still belongs to the development team, they are free to ignore these suggestions if they think they aren't that much worth it or if they were already planning to add them from the beginning.

-I have seen a lot of impressive work on the visuals of units for this mod, but I also hope you make all the generals for each culture/faction look awesome and not bland as the vanilla generals (sort of what DeI did for hellenic, carthaginian and celtic generals)

-I don't know if it's too much work or not, but you could change the text/script of dilemmas and their respective options and outcomes instead of using the vanilla ones, surely though many of the vanilla ones should work; all of this for better immersion

-I would love if you did something similar to this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=186985363 for AoB and each culture will have a different UI.
    we are planning to do all of that, ive already laid down plans for it. Just remember that a custom battle .pack comes first, then all the extra stuff. Also, one of our modders is doing his generals right now, while im waiting to finish all the units and then go back and do the generals, its simply a matter of our personal preference.

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

TBH the custom battle pack would probably still be fine in Campaign all I could see us needing to change would be removing Vanilla units, changing some building trees and what units the AI would be recruiting then some UI tweaks and events, shouldn't take too long.

So yeah if you were to play the campaign you might see Mycenae with a bunch of Spartan youths until that's done but the Bronze Age factions would be available for your own use.

just a quick suggestion, what if very late game, the hebrew tribes became an emergent faction in the province of nabatea and make a beeline for jerusalem while the egyptians suffer a decrease in slave population? and are the sea peoples included at all?

yes, canaanite tribes could found a state, but there is no source anywhere except in the bible (a highly questionalble surce) that mentions hebrwes beeing slaves of the egyptians.
    ofcourse canaan was part of the egyptian influence zone, so it's believed that moses' lead out of egyptian slavery is more like a methaphor for gaining independence in canaan itself.

It is more than likely that Egypt would have enslaved Hebrews considering the enslaved all the peoples that they fought. It would be possible in theory to make a Hebrew faction emerge late game perhaps via a revolution (if the game mechanics allow, remember we have very limited tools here).

Basically we'd have to put Canaanite rebels as a proper faction, Hebrews, which can be done through editing ESF files after that we'd probably need to give Canaan a public order bonus to make sure they don't pop up early game.

To be honest this would probably throw off balance it would be better to have a rebel faction of 'Apiru, basically outcast Canaanites, people who owe money or are on the run from the law.

Hebrews were not really a major factor until the Iron Age with the tribes of Israel and Judah etc, in this period they wouldn't really be distinguishable from the other Canaanites.

It is more than likely that Egypt would have enslaved Hebrews considering the enslaved all the peoples that they fought. It would be possible in theory to make a Hebrew faction emerge late game perhaps via a revolution (if the game mechanics allow, remember we have very limited tools here).
    yeah, but deporting an entire tribe would be a bit too much effort when the egyptians could just enslave nubians or libyans much easier.
    in consideration of the babylonian habits in jerusalem they could've deported the upperclass...

all true, but then again it would be a quaint touch to the mod, moreover, the sea peoples? i was thinking, an emergent faction that came about shortly after the fall of wilusa (if this ever happens) that cause a a rise in dissent in greece and begin sacking cities all over the coast before making a beeline for egypt? or maybe capturing cyprus and starting a pirate esque nation?

Quote Originally Posted by I AM SUPER CEASAR View Post
    all true, but then again it would be a quaint touch to the mod, moreover, the sea peoples? i was thinking, an emergent faction that came about shortly after the fall of wilusa (if this ever happens) that cause a a rise in dissent in greece and begin sacking cities all over the coast before making a beeline for egypt? or maybe capturing cyprus and starting a pirate esque nation?
    I'm just getting started with ESF editing, I know something like this would be possible to make in Empire Total War and I assume it is the same in ROME II since they both use Warscape and are similar in terms of db structure. The only doubt I have is that Vanilla currently has no emergent factions but perhaps CA just chose not to add them and it's possible for us to do it.

If you really think about it we are basically creating a whole new Total War game using ROME II as a base.

That said, I believe it would be possible that after our Custom Battle beta version I may be able to fool around in ESF and get a couple emergent factions for our campaign release.

EDIT:

To my knowledge you can have an emergent faction come at a certain location on a certain date in the game, I am unsure about conditions such as factions being destroyed but I believe factions only emerge by a set year.

why not?
    every mediterranian nation should somehow get the opportunity to merge with a sea people nation and ravage the seas.
    the phoenicians did so and they were extremely successful. they started as a bunch of canaanite city states warring each other and were almost the only ones that profited from the sea people.

If you really think about it we are basically creating a whole new Total War game using ROME II as a base.
    a so-called Total Conversation

Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I posted here but you have done an incredible amount of work since then. It's looking really awesome. I was wondering when we can expect to see some preview trailers coming out. I have a few ideas if you're interested. Keep up the amazing work.
    Author of Wanderers, Far from Home and Standing Between Titans
    Do you like to write? Do you like to read things other people write? Why not pop over to Creative Writing or Tale of the Week?

sure, if someonme wants to make a preview trailer he is ofcourse welcome to do so!
    that'd be awesome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast