Thread: The Achaean League

Laetus

Default The Achaean League

what is this faction supposed to be? some indpendent macedonian people? and what are the greek league and independent greeks? the greek league is the vanilla greeks?

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Re: The Achaean League

There were many different Greek city states and leagues during that time period. One of the most notable ones were the Aetolian-, Achaean- and Aegean Leagues. The regular Greek Cities in the game actually represent the Aegean League of City States, while the Achaean League in the game is combined with the Aegean League to keep the Kingdom of Macedon in check. The "Independent" Greek Cities represent all other independent greek city states, like Massilia, etc.

If you wish to learn more, I would recommend "Pyrrhus" (of Epirus, The King of Epirus) by Plutarch and "Cleomenes" (of Sparta; The King of Sparta) by Plutarch and above all "Aratus" (of Sicyon; Leader of the Achaean League) by Plutarch. There are of course other notable sources of history in The Internet Classics Archive, so you're welcome to explore. This is the "real" history, not the bogus overview taught in the elementary school.

As for the game, I am well aware of some ahistorical aspects, like for example the position of Sicyon - the capital of the Achean League, or that the faction exists 30 years before it actually existed. Originally, it should be right next to Corinth, but due to gameplay reasons, it had to be placed on the west coast. Other gameplay related limitations, such as the number of provinces and faction slots lead to the composition of the factions as they are. If you wish for a more historical campaign, I recommend Europa Universalis: Rome.

Nevertheless, I find that the current placement of factions is quite good in terms of gameplay challenge - which is the point of Diadochi - Total War: to depict the turmoil of that bloody era that signed the fall of Hellenic nations and the rise of Rome.

Laetus

ok now ill know. thavery great to have atleast one greek league.

I'd like to know more about the Aegean League if it's possible.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

The Aegean league rather denominates several independent island-cities like crete and rhodes that later joined the Achaean League. I must admit, we kind of forced them together just for the sake of game-play, really