Thread: Far Eastern faction research thread

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Far Eastern faction research thread

This thread much like the Near Eastern thread is for historical research and study, this thread will focus on the factions of the eastern steppes and everything east of Elam.

Everyone can feel free to post information, this is all going to help the mod.

Default Re: Far Eastern faction research thread

I hope this helps for hindu cultures. It's the only surviving indian elephant armour to date

PunitorMaximus's Avatar TWTEAW Mod Leader

hmm awesome armour but i think its late middle ages/16th/17th century.

This online book might be useful:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Qbn...page&q&f=false

It's got a bunch of pretty cool pictures in it that could maybe be used as faction symbols, plus a section on some Central Asian weapons that starts on page 65. Some of it might be from too early a period, though.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

If go to the edge of the map, the Indus Valley civilization should be there in it's final stages, right before their end. They owned a few parts of the standard Rome 2 map, around the Persian coastline. That is if this mod takes place in around 1500-1300 BC

Anytime afterwards, there should be the Aryavarta Vedic tribes ruling the land, who were originally semi-nomadic but immediately became settled after the end of the Indus confederation.

Sadly, not much is known about the late Indus era because their language and script is still a mystery, and the successor of the Indus script - the Brahmi script - came into a recognizable form only around 900 BC, by which time everything had changed in India.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath1706 View Post
    I hope this helps for hindu cultures. It's the only surviving indian elephant armour to date

Indeed, but that armour is from the Mughal Empire era.

Indians have used war elephants for thousands of years since early bronze age, but I am not sure if we had developed huge plate armours for the elephants back then.
    Last edited by General Maximus; September 09, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    If go to the edge of the map, the Indus Valley civilization should be there in it's final stages, right before their end. They owned a few parts of the standard Rome 2 map, around the Persian coastline. That is if this mod takes place in around 1500-1300 BC

Anytime afterwards, there should be the Aryavarta Vedic tribes ruling the land, who were originally semi-nomadic but immediately became settled after the end of the Indus confederation.

Sadly, not much is known about the late Indus era because their language and script is still a mystery, and the successor of the Indus script - the Brahmi script - came into a recognizable form only around 900 BC, by which time everything had changed in India.

Indeed, but that armour is from the Mughal Empire era.

Indians have used war elephants for thousands of years since early bronze age, but I am not sure if we had developed huge plate armours for the elephants back then.
    You follow exactly our lines of thought, the Indian and Far Eastern factions will certainly get their time eventually.

What about the Shang Dynasty of China? That was around at about this time, so why not?

GreenyRepublic's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by aaylmao View Post
    What about the Shang Dynasty of China? That was around at about this time, so why not?
    Because China isn't on the campaign map, neither is India in fact.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by GreenyRepublic View Post
    Because China isn't on the campaign map, neither is India in fact.
    Afaik AoB is not planed as a campaign overhaul anyway, but only as a custom battle mod.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLinothorax View Post
    Afaik AoB is not planed as a campaign overhaul anyway, but only as a custom battle mod.
    Yes; but it would regardless unnecessarily complicate things; sorta the same basic reasons as not having the Mayans show up in Total War Attila, its just not the focus of the game.

I want to represent the Shang dynasty in a mod, just like I want to represent the Aztecs, or the Malian empire, or any other of a billion obscure civilizations. They are not for AoB; they are outside its scope, no matter how broad that is.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    Yes; but it would regardless unnecessarily complicate things; sorta the same basic reasons as not having the Mayans show up in Total War Attila, its just not the focus of the game.

I want to represent the Shang dynasty in a mod, just like I want to represent the Aztecs, or the Malian empire, or any other of a billion obscure civilizations. They are not for AoB; they are outside its scope, no matter how broad that is.
    Dont really understand those comparisons. I mean the Shang dynasty is a bronze age culture, and the mod is called "Age of Bronze".

Not simply time but in a spatio-temporal sense as a whole, the Shang is a Bronze Age culture; however, they're just too far from the scope of the Rome II map to have any justification in the mod.

Oh and while it may be a while, we do plan to do the campaign