Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say it isn't so.

Default Say it isn't so.

I'm sure that all of you here who have been following Res Gestae and the beautiful work of Prometheus and others for a long time now will agree with much that I'm about to say. I like to consider myself a patient person, but I believe its time something was said here. First let me throw out a couple of facts.

Firstly, on July, the month of Julius Caesar, the 6th 2005, Prometheus announced the developement of Res Gestae and shocked the modding community with his beautiful skins, not least of all his Mauryans. That was over a year and three months ago. Since then we have seen around 10 full unit previews of completed work of which only one has been released; his excellent Romans. Secondly, and most importantly, Prometheus and the Res Gestae team owe us nothing. Absolutely nothing. I am not angry, and hold no animosity toward anyone on the Res Gestae team. People get bored, burned-out, and move on to other things that interest them. Afterall it is their time to use as they wish it.

That being said however, the last post we have seen from you Prof was on September 21, informing us that you have no time so it will be a while. Ok, no problem, however I know you've had time to play the MTW2 demo, and Company of Heroes, because you posted in the TWC forums about both of them yesterday, and thats fine. I'm glad that you're enjoying yourself and buddy, its your life.

Are you going to let all of Prometheus's fine work go to waste, never seeing the light of day? Say it isn't so! If you're tired of this whole thing, and want to move on to something else, please hand it over to someone who will get the job done!

People like to delude themselves around here, but as soon as MTW2 comes out, RTW is finished! The only people who are still going to play it are those who either can't afford the new game, or don't have the system to play it. My friend, that is the minority! MTW2 is going to have more features, hopefully less bugs, better graphics, and there are already some awesome mods on the horizon if the game falls short of expectations, which it will for many TWC community members, because there will never be enough realism for most of us, heh.

In conclusion, RTW has maybe another month, maybe two until it gets in line behind MTW2 on our priority lists. It might even survive a bit longer while people wait for MTW2 mods to come out. I have never released any material to the public, but I've been modding my own game for over a year. If you allow it, I would like to offer my time to package and release Prom's excellent work. If I am way off the mark, and you will be releasing at least parts of it before November, I stand corrected. If not, please give someone else a shot at getting this material released. Thanks.
    "Insipientis est dicere, Non putarvm."

"It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought."
    -Publivs Scipio Africanvs

Default Re: Say it isn't so.

yawn, another beggar

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Good grief...tiresome people saying RTW is going to die if you don't do this or that. RTW will die when it dies...not just because people say so. I happen to like RTW, and I love the time-period. MTW2 is not this time-period. So great game or not, why would I want it? The middle-ages sucked, as far as I'm concerned....

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901
    Good grief...tiresome people saying RTW is going to die if you don't do this or that. RTW will die when it dies...not just because people say so. I happen to like RTW, and I love the time-period. MTW2 is not this time-period. So great game or not, why would I want it? The middle-ages sucked, as far as I'm concerned....
    ey...pssst....come over... There will also be ancient mods for MTW2...
    Last edited by phoen!x; October 11, 2006 at 12:21 PM.

You relize that it is on this person's personal time right? I doubt his life rotates around making a mod, he probably has other things in life to do.

Anyway, this mod does look pretty cool. I might try it out when it is finished.

Tzif

The only people who are still going to play it are those who either can't afford the new game, or don't have the system to play it. My friend, that is the minority!
    I wouldn`t call them a minority. Maybe getting the game is not that hard, but the PC to take full advantage of the higher graphics you say, will be a lot harder for many. And a complete mod for Rome`s time will take a long time to appear and who knows how long untill it is stable enough. It`s possible that it will never be done to the full extend. Almost everything needs to be modded for that. I have more faith in a medieval time frame mod. It will take less work.
    Anyway, leaving this aside, you should be praised because, if I correctly understood, you offered to help. And if this mod doesn`t get finished I hope the work will be released to the public. I too like - love - at least some of those units and would love to includ them in my game. So, I hope they still exist and we`ll see them, or at least some of them , one day.

I have plenty of time, and very reliable. Just send me all the finished skins, and I will package them and release them to the community credited completely to Promethus and whoever else created them.

Based on the number of replies in this thread, there are plenty of people still interested in this mod as I am, even after more than a year, and Prometheus leaving the team. I'd like to respond to those of you who replied and add a few comments if I may.

Quote Originally Posted by lalalax3
    yawn, another beggar
    I don't recall begging for anything lalalax. Don't confuse this post for a tired "when will it be done?" post.

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901
    I'm sorry you find me tiresome, but quite frankly, I don't care. I was fully aware when I typed out this post that some people weren't going to like it. About the death of RTW, I will admit I may have spoken prematurely. I since downloaded the MTW2 demo and even with my dual PCI-X video cards, 1024 RAM, and fairly fast Athlon Processor (which may be the problem), I was having severe slow-down issues. That being said, I never said it would die if Res Gestae wasn't released. Whether Res Gestae is released or not, you are right, it will die when it dies. However, it would be nice to see Prom's work released before that time comes would it not? Additionally, there will always be exceptions. There will always be people who love a game and continue to play it long after everyone else. For example, I broke out Betrayal at Krondor the other day and was amazed that I ever thought it had amazing graphics, but it did for its day. Lastly, there will be ancient mods for MTW2 in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzif
    You relize that it is on this person's personal time right? I doubt his life rotates around making a mod, he probably has other things in life to do.
    Yes Tzif, I do realize that, which is why I said this in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Africanvs
    People get bored, burned-out, and move on to other things that interest them. Afterall it is their time to use as they wish it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzif
    Anyway, this mod does look pretty cool. I might try it out when it is finished.
    Yes it does, we all are, and that is what I'm trying to accomplish here.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80
    I wouldn`t call them a minority. Maybe getting the game is not that hard, but the PC to take full advantage of the higher graphics you say, will be a lot harder for many. And a complete mod for Rome`s time will take a long time to appear and who knows how long untill it is stable enough. It`s possible that it will never be done to the full extend. Almost everything needs to be modded for that. I have more faith in a medieval time frame mod. It will take less work.
    Excellent points, and you're right. I didn't consider how big the project would be. Afterall EB started when RTW came out and they're still in Beta. And yes, since testing the demo it seems, even with my semi-powerful system, I am one of the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Asean
    I have plenty of time, and very reliable. Just send me all the finished skins, and I will package them and release them to the community credited completely to Promethus and whoever else created them.
    Another volunteer, good stuff.

Well a few comments. Firstly, I think Florin and dvk have made good points that counter my arguments about the death of RTW. It seems the old game might still have a bit of life, especially if MTW2 needs a super system to run at even low settings. But nevertheless, I still say that change is needed. Whether you just don't have the time, or lack the interest Prof, I beg you- (Now I'm begging lalalax) to consider a suitable replacement who will get the job done, so that the community is not deprived of Prom's excellent work. Thanks to all for your replies.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Africanus: I was..probably...a bit abrupt in my reaction to you're original comments. Still, I hear people say this a lot on TWC...'when will you finish, because if you don't soon, MTW2 will be out and no one will be interested in your work anyway, blah, blah..' My son still plays 'Starcraft' and loves it.....that game is how old? The on-line servers are still jammed with people, but it's an old game. The point is, as long as people still mod RTW/BI, there will always be people to play it and take interest in it....no matter how good MTW2 is. Also, as has been said here, (and considering from personal experience that I know how long it takes to really do a 'work-over' mod) it could be YEARS before a decent MTW2 Mod ever hits this site. Read Sinuhet's and Darth's discussion about the 'pack' files....no one even knows how to get into them yet, and from what they see, CA put EVERYTHING in them. Booooo. So maybe there will be NO mods for it. (heehee, now I'm exaggerating
    Anyway, I do agree that if people set expectations in any community, they should live up to them and follow thru, or pass the work on to others who are willing. Just quitting and disappearing sort of leaves everyone hanging....
    Cheers.

Well Africanus i'm totally with you and i just hope that Prof read you're post and answer quickly.
    JUPITER OPTIMUS MAXIMUS VICTOR

Cromagnon2's Avatar Senator

I don't think this mod will be out or worked on, as Prometheus and Prof are more
    interested in MTW2 and I think they are right, altough I prefer more ancient history
    MTW2 will be the better game.

It would be a fantastic mod, but is now too late.

yawn, another beggar
    What is this supose to mean? Other than that you should go to sleep.

The skilled modders will go to MTW2 ! Thats for sure. So have fun with the rest and have fun waiting for a dead mod to rise from the dead. For me, we have some willing people here, that can make all of the existing stuff that is possible. Or the existing files will be released when the creators release them. This will be when they recognise theirself that the mod is dead for sure, in one year or so. They will wait to be sure that they are no longer interested and will release the same stuff we yould get TODAY.

Well, i have to say some more things, first of all sorry for my bad english it isn't my native language.
    Like Africanvs it was a very long time that i waiting for this mod. A very long time. I meat Prom when he was working for EB and it's me the first time that i speak with him to do his own mod because he wanted to have a total control on his work.And Prom is an incredible skilled man, so talentuous, he do an amazing job with his unit.So after, a so great plaisure to see the first preview (i have on my computer an folder with all Res gestae screnshot and some unic from Prom itself). Well i can say that i was one of the bigger fan of Res Gestae...
    I was totally devastated when Prom finally give up...I putt off RTW on my computer because for me it was the end...
    Well anyway i respect his decision even if i think that releasing an skin pack was easy to do. I have personnaly on my hard drive an old skin pack of Res Gestae with roman, indian, gaul, german.. units. Prof give it to me after Prom tell him to do, i have this treasure on my computer and i'm really sad to see that this project will have a so pity end...
    I know Prof too, we have some good coversation on MSM and he is a very kind person and a great skinner/modder (he do some great greek unit).
    Well i hope that Prof will take the right decision for the community...and for Res gestae...
    JUPITER OPTIMUS MAXIMUS VICTOR

what hapened of alliance of the RG and CASUSBELLI? :hmmm:

KALI's Avatar Senator

Well reading between the lines,
    it seems there are no plans to release any more of the stuff..... which is a great shame. I heard many of the skins had been lost...at which time I made an offer to re skin the models. Too which there was no reply.
    I also drooled over the Mauryans and wanted those Sarmations etc. I do feel like a very hopeful Donkey trying to get a bite of the dangling carrot.
    I think Africanus' offer of help deserved more than a rebuke. Although i realise his post seemed more like a a very eloquent complaint. But it would seem those who have the reins, do not want to trot.

p.s Having played the MTW2 Demo, I'll still be giving RTR a whirl. In essence, MTW2 is just RTW with lots a funky features, many of which my GFX card can't run smoothly (Radeon 256mb 9550). I'll be playing MTW2 but a new processor and motherboard is not on the cards atm.
    As for where the modders will go after RTW....Well hopefully there won't be to much re skinning needed for MTW2.
    I came, I saw, I went away again.

Quote Originally Posted by phoen!x
    The skilled modders will go to MTW2 ! Thats for sure. So have fun with the rest and have fun waiting for a dead mod to rise from the dead.
    Atleast we will know who will and will not finish their mods in MTW2 if they ever announce one. :tooth:

I completely agree...And it will be the minority that will play RTW because M2TW will mostlikely get all the modders from RTW. So basically, you can have 12 year olds who can't afford to upgrade make mods for you..

If this mod isn't released before november. Im through with this mod, and RTW

Quote Originally Posted by Asean
    Atleast we will know who will and will not finish their mods in MTW2 if they ever announce one. :tooth:
    let s hope they don t change their names :tooth:

Well, nine days and no reply from prom. I guess he doesn't check these forums anymore. An unfortunate end to a promising mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Africanvs
    Well, nine days and no reply from prom. I guess he doesn't check these forums anymore. An unfortunate end to a promising mod.
    Maybe this could be why.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65633

"It's best to shut your mouth and let everyone think you're ignorant, then to open your mouth and prove it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast