Thread: [ROG] De vita et moribus Iulii Nepos

Icon1 [ROG] De vita et moribus Iulii Nepos

This was partly written six months ago based on the mod Ruins of Glory (ROG). It is the year 476 A.D., the Western Roman Empire is almost defeated. But there is Julius Nepos, Emperor of the West and some independant cities...

I will release hopefully more parts of this AAR the comming days/weeks
    This first part is based on Tacitus work: De vita et moribus Iulii Agricolae. I translated THE text from Dutch (the work of Vincent Hunink) to English and made some changes for my story. I hope it is intresting for you to see what Tacitus wrote in 98A.D. can be used perfectly to introduce my AAR
    De vita et moribus Iulii Nepos
    Part 1:
    From ancient times it is customary to write down the habits and realizations of famous men for the descendants. Even in our times, where there is little interest in our own people, this is still a common thing, every time when right triumphs majestic and in magnanimous form and surpasses above evil of what small and large states have in common: wrong sense of values and envy. Once there was all place and space to do memorable things. Likewise the most talented people wanted to write down these qualities, not biased or out of ambition, but out of the idea that one is doing a good thing.

Generally the writing of a memoir was seen as a sign of confidence, not as pride. By Rutilius and Scaurus it did not affect their credibility and it was not taken against them (1) So much were good qualities appreciated in times were they unfold the easiest. But now? Now I am going to describe the life of a deceased, I must apologize. But when I was going to accuse someone I didn’t have to apologize: So grim and averse of the right are these times.

We have read that Herennius Rusticus eulogies on Flavius Orestes , and Arulenus Senecio his eulogies on Procopius Anthemius have paied it with there lifes.(2) And not only the authors but also their books became targets of violence: three Ostrogoths got the order to burn the writings of the great writers on the Forum and Comitium. Yes, by that fire Odoacer thought he could destroy the voice of the Roman people, the freedom of the senate and the conscience of mankind. Furthermore teachers of philosophy were expelled and he banished all culture, so that there would not be anything more of value. We have really shown enormous patience. And like old times saw the summit of freedom, we saw the summit of slavery. Because of all the spying human interaction became impossible. We would have lost apart of our voice also our intelligence, if forgetting was as easy as muteness.

Only now we take courage. At the beginning of the new, prosperous time of Julius Nepos. And Caesar Jovinius Nepos still promotes
    prosperity of these times. General safety is no longer a case of hope and wishes, but confidence has arisen in these wishes and our power is coming back. But by the human weakness the drug works slower than the disease. Likewise our body grows slowly and necrose fast, so you can suppress talent and culture easier than you can recall it. Because being lazy has something attracting and the first so detested passivity is lastly hoped-for.
    Yes, in the course of sixteen years , a significantly period of time in a human life, many died “by accident” and the most active people have not only survived others but also themselves. So many years out of our lifes are gone: silent boys became men, old men went to the end of their days.

But that will not stop me ,if necessary in untrained and simple style, from writing down the past slavery and all the right things of now. Yet I want to honor the memory of my adoptive father Julius Nepos – a token of family sense that will receive a lot of understanding.

(1)(Real)P. Rutilius Rufus and M. Aemilius Scaurus were politicans in the mid of the second century B.C. There (no more existing) memoires were probably used by historian Sallustius as sources.

(2) (made up) This two writers were put to death by Odoacer because of their positively colored memoires of opponents. Flavius Orestes was father of Romulus Augustus (Western Emperor from 475-476).Orestes was defeated, captured and then killed in in battle near Piacenza by Odoacer. Procopius Anthemius was a Western Roman Emperor from 467 to 472. Odoacer fought against him as a soldier in 472. Anthemius was captured and beheaded on 11 July 472.

I hope you enjoyed it and Tacitus doesn't turn in his grave.
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; March 25, 2014 at 07:14 AM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: [ROG] De vita et moribus Iulii Nepos

I like it...pray continue.

Part 2

Julius was born in 430 years after the birth of Christus as the son of Marcus Nepotianus comes et magister utriusque militia between 458 and 460 . Marcus was married with the sister of Marcellinus, ruler of Dalmatia .
    He fought also under Aetius in the famous victory of the Catalaunian Plains in 451. He was famous during his life because he defeated the Visigoths, the Burgundians and the Bagaudae in 458; in 460 he defeated the Suebians near Lugo. But in 460 he was deposed by Theodoric II who was influenced by magister militum Ricimer. Marcus died peacefully 5 years later. Like his brother-in-law was also a skilled Roman general who was ruler of Dalmatia from 454 till august 468. In 465 Marcellinus wanted to go to Sicily to defend the island against the Vandals, but this action posed a direct threat to the personal power and prestige of Ricimer. Ricimer, who had installed a puppet emperor named Libius Severus, was afraid that Marcellinus could become emperor because he was so skilled in the art of warfare and soothsaying, his troops were well trained and armoured and he was supported by Leo I, emperor of the east. The only thing Ricimer could do was assassinating him in Sicily.

After Marcellinus dead, his nephew Julius Nepos named himself ruler of Dalmatia in 468. Eastern emperor Leo I asked in 474 Julius to march to Italia and take the title of emperor. His first rule was already a great success. He made peace with the Visigoth king Euric and recovered southern Gaul. Italia got a period of economic growth but the senators didn’t like his close ties with the East. Nepos made the mistake of appointing the untrustworthy but well-established Orestes as his magister militum. In August 475. Orestes, supported by most senators, took control of the government at Ravenna and forced Nepos to flee by ship to Dalmatia. Unable to appoint himself emperor of the West, Orestes appointed his son Romulus Augustus for the honour, as Romulus was a citizen of Rome. The boy was 12 years old when he became Emperor and was known as Romulus Augustulus. However, Romulus' position was not constitutional in as much as he had not been recognised by Constantinople, in whose eyes Nepos was still the sole Augustus of the West. Nepos thus continued to rule in Dalmatia as Emperor, recognized as such in Dalmatia and in the eastern court. When Odoacer captured Ravenna, killed Orestes, and deposed Romulus on September 4, 476, he proclaimed himself ruler of Italy and asked the Eastern Roman Emperor Zeno to legalize his position as Patricius of the Western Roman Empire and Zeno's viceroy in Italy. Zeno did so, but insisted that he recognized Nepos as Western Roman Emperor. Odoacer did this, and even issued coins in Nepos' name throughout Italy. But Nepos was not allowed in Italia. So he had to retake Italy by force…

I would have been a good 19th century historian
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; March 22, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

I like. Continue to update this.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Odoacer was prepared for an invasion: He defended the Podanus (1) area with a magnificent force (some 15.000 soldiers must have been there). But a Roman is still smarter than a barbarian…

Julius, supported by Marcellinus’ legion and the Dalmatian fleet, assembled his army (4000men) in Salonae and marched to Spalatum on 20 October 476 and crossed the Adriatic blessed by a divine wind. On 30 October he made contact with mercenaries in Umbria and Picenum to enlarge his force. Now he had a well trained and equipped army to retake Italy. Corfinium was besieged on 6th of November. This settlement was defended by some 500 defenders but they and their walls couldn’t stand against the mercenary onagers, wich are rare in modern warfare. Julius Nepos with his Candidati fought bravely in front. After the siege the surrounding cities came to him to declare their surrender. Now he could take the via Salaria and on 18th of November he displayed himself in the eternal city. Of course this was more a propaganda than a strategic victory, Rome has no longer the population and fame of the old days. But confident that he could restore these old days, he made Rome his capital. Nepos before his arrival hated by most senators was now celebrated because he fought of Odoacer, the barbarian, and restored Rome as the capital for the first time in more than 70 years. An old man with the age 86, who was once famous for his shout saying, thanked him and said that ,when he was a young man, he dreamed of becoming politician but his dream was shattered by the changing of capital to Ravenna. He predicted a bright future for Nepos, his descendants and his empire.

That winter he camped in and around Rome. He made a contract with Saldae and Iol Caesarea (2), who were still Romanized independent states, that when he could send an army to guard them against the Berbers and Vandals they would obey his rule.During that winter Odoacer could strengthen his army, because he expected Nepos to march north and face him eye to eye but Nepos was smart enough to march south were there were rich lands. In February he marched south an took Capua, without any casualties. On the via Appia between Capua and Neapolis he encountered a counteroffensive under command of the cunning general Spurius. Spurius marched his army to the very old village of Suessula . Nepos wanted to convince him in joining his cause but Spurius didn’t even want to negotiate, some say he wanted to take the title of Emperor for himself. Spurius army consisted of 8.000 men: multiple balistas and onagers, 2.000 cavalry and more than 5.000 infantry (most of them mercenaries). Furthermore the garrison of Neapolis, 800 men, could attack Nepos from behind. Nepos had a smaller force of around 6.500 men: multiple onagers, 3000 heavy cavalry and around 3.500 legionnaires. He was confident that he could win this battle because all his troops were well trained and loyal led by a man that had the gift of commanding men in battle and a battlefield in his favour. Nepos placed most of his battle line in a dense forest, so that they were concealed for their opponents. He placed 1500 of his elite horse men , named clibinarii , 600 meters from his battle line in a small forest on the left side. Another force of 1.000 barbarian mercenary horse men were concealed themselves 1km from the main force right wing.

As expected Spurius, confident of a quick victory, moved his forces forward towards the woods. Meanwhile the garrison force attacked from behind. Nepos did not fear defeat, he fought of the garrison force with some of his elite legionaries. Spurius charged most of his cavalry in his enemies right wing but the legionaries fought brave and held their ground. This was the moment for the clibinarii to attack the enemy from behind. When the enemy was trapped between legionnaires and cavalry, they fought for some time, but when they knew their opponents were to powerful they tried to flee only to be put to the sword. Spurius didn’t want to give up and charged with his bodyguards on Julius and his men. After bravely defending himself, Spurius was killed by an arrow in the hand (he would never wear the emperors ring. Now it was time for the mercenary cavalry to engage. Some of them hunted on fleeing opponents cavalry while others attacked the onagers and ballistas who where left behind and ill defended. Victory was ours. Now the way was open for the conquest of Umbria, Calabria and Bruttium. This was his occupation for the rest of the year 477 . Meanwhile he made an alliance with the Vandals. They would not raid his territory, Nepos would not attack Sicily and the Vandals would attack Odoacers strong fleet in the Mediterranean. Odoacer on his side made a secret alliance with the Ostrogoths, who were allied with Nepos. I think that he was planning to take the ill defended Dalmatia along with the Ostrogoths. He marched his army north to Histria but the veterans who installed an independent territory there didn’t want to let him pass without a fight and his fleet in the Adriatic was some months before his offensive destroyed by the Dalmatian fleet. Unable to attack Dalmatia he turned his attention to the south...

(1) Po

(2) In modern Algiers
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; March 24, 2014 at 08:34 AM.

please give me some feedback
    Part 3
    In the summer of 478 Nepos , now ruler of half Italy, returned to Rome where he made a triumph. In the Spring of 479 military action was renewed. Nepos sent a force under my command (1), Julius adopted me that winter, to besiege Ravenna, Odoacer’s capital, by surprise. With the help of mercenary onagers, Ravenna fell on 23th of March after a short but hard skirmish. But with Odoacer only 1273 stadia (2) from Ravenna, which was guarded by me and 800 legionnaires and mercenaries, we thought we would be in Heaven or some of us in the Tartarus within a few days or months. However Julius Nepos saved us by marching his army north to Arminnium and he sent a small expedition force to Pisa that fell after a siege of two weeks, so Odoacer had to react and marched his forces to Arretium. Odoacer afraid of being defeated and Nepos, confident of his tactical position, played a waiting game. Odoacer made an alliance with the Burgundian warlords in the Alps.

In June 480 Nepos and Odoacer met in the field of battle, not far from Arretium. Nepos was on the better hand because he was reinforced by an army coming from Ravenna under my leadership. In total Odoacer had 10.000 men: multiple ballistas and onagers, 2.000 cavalry and more than 7.500 infantry (most of them mercenaries and German auxiliaries). Nepos, who saw the night before the battle the same comet as Augustus at the beginning of his reign, knew this was the day that the Western Roman empire would become great again. He had a force equal to that of Odoacer. The stakes were high, battle was imminent.
    Nepos forces were positioned on top of a light slope, so his onagers had an advantage over the ones of Odoacer. Nepos stretched his force in a long formation and reinforced the cavalry on the flanks with some spearmen. I positioned myself with my small force in a position to attack Odoacer’s left flank. Odoacer on his side made a double line of infantry with his onagers between them and his magnificent force of cavalry on the flanks. The barbarian his battle plan was this: his second line of infantry would turn to the left and overwhelm my small force and the rejoin the main force and brake the middle of Nepos legionnaires. This was exactly what Nepos, like a smart Roman, was expecting. He sent me a letter with the order to hold the line as long as possible, like the Spartans did at Thermopylae 960 years before this battle.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The battle started and thousands of projectiles were flying through the air! Hundreds died the first minutes but Odoacer, who didn’t wanted to give up Italia, sticked to his battle plan. 4000 men charged my small force. The first minutes were fierce but we kept our ground, but Odoacer’s forces kept coming. After half an hour there was still no one having the upper hand. Odoacer still shelled by Nepos onagers ordered a full charge with his remaining forces. The battle lines clashed and a battled for a long time. On the flanks Odoacers cavalry was picked out quite quickly by Nepos clibinarii and the spearmen. Now the cavalry could attack the vulnerable flanks of Odoacer’s forces and help me fighting Odoacer forces on the right flank. Many died those hours. And when Odoacer saw defeat was imminent he fled with his bodyguards to the west to the Ligurian coastal cities. Nepos, who saw this, went behind him! After 20 stadia he clashed with his archenemy. The fighting was fierce, like a scene out of the Illias! The future was in the balance! Would the Barbarians rule the world or the Romans? In the fighting the two met each other and like two gods. Odoacer, a giant of a man, attacked the smaller Roman but the intelligence of Julius made the difference and Odoacer was stabbed in the heart. Julius achieved the highest honour a Roman general can achieve: the spoila opima, killing the enemy leader in battle. The battle, like the one near Philippi, had a decisive outcome. Nepos could march north and annex the rest of Italia. But his struggle was not over yet…

A question: What do you think of Julius Nepos now (also after the comming parts of the AAR)?

(1) Allobich Decius

(2) 200km
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; March 26, 2014 at 10:17 AM.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

As I said, I like it. Reminds me of old history books, complete with maps, and that is never a bad thing. One thing I would suggest is to invest in Fraps or another program for your in-game screenies. Apart from that just carry on, the writing is good and I've always loved the mod...win-win!

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    As I said, I like it. Reminds me of old history books, complete with maps, and that is never a bad thing. One thing I would suggest is to invest in Fraps or another program for your in-game screenies. Apart from that just carry on, the writing is good and I've always loved the mod...win-win!
    I will do it next time.
    I am/was much further in the game but now the game CTD when loading (even my back-ups! ) but I can still finish this AAR.

I am learning so much when reasearching on the characters and history of this time
    Part 4
    But who was this man, Odoacer, Patrician of Italy and king of Italy for some time? He was the son of Edeko, who was the chief of the Scirii, , and later an important man in the army of Attila. So his father fought against Nepos in the battle of the Catalaunian Plains! After the defeat in 451 many tribes became independent, also the Scirii. In 469 the Ostrogoths advanced westwards into Pannonia. Many ex-Hunnic tribes aligned themselves against these invaders, the Heruli, Rugii, Scirii and the Suebi. The Byzantine emperor Leo I the Thracian supported this alliance, despite of his magister militum Aspar, but that is a story for another time. But Aspar was right, the Ostrogoths wiped out these tribes and the Ostrogoths conquered Panonia, a black day for the Roman empire. Edeko and his sons Odoacer and Onulf fled to the west. What happened to Edeko is not clear but his sons joined the Roman army and made career. They helped Aegidius against the Visigoths and in 468 they crossed the Alps, where they met Severinus of Noricum, Apostle of Noricum, who predicted a bright future for them. Odoacer joined the army in 470 as an officer and in 475
    when ,Orestes was appointed Magister militum and patrician, Odoacer was named head of the foederati and the rest of the story was told in the beginning of this work…

After the death of his brother Onulf, who was in Verona at the time, took control of the remaining provinces, Gallia Cisalpina and Noricum. His position was not hopeless he had still a significant force and a strong alliance with the Burgundians and the Ostrogoths.

Julius advanced his main force to Genoa, while a smaller force marched to besiege Verona. Genoa came in Nepos’ hand in early March 481 and Verona in April, after a fierce fight were Onulf was killed. But now the Burgundians and Ostrogoths came into action all important cities in Dalmatia became under siege and the situation looked hopeless for its inhabitants. The Burgundians, who held Augusta Taurinorum, marched a force of 10.000 infantry and 5.000 cavalry near Genua, another test for the great leader! I don’t know the exact what happened because I was appointed commander of the forces in middle Italy and was therefore not there. But it was a fierce fight were the Burgundians almost got the upper hand, but at the end of the day all of them were gone. Nepos marched north and was welcomed in Augusta Taurinorum. Now almost all of Italy was under control of Nepos, except Mediolanum and Aquileia who had recognized Adelmar as their king. But when Nepos approached Mediolanum Adelmar fled with his forces into the Alps. In 482 the remaining cities became under the emperors control and Nepos marched his forces behind Adelamar and after a short skirmish on a remote mountain Adelmar was killed (some say by his own men). More to the east the Ostroghots tried to take the besieged cities but the underdogs triumphed in all battles! The God(s ) blessed our empire! Now Nepos saw the change to take revenge on the weakened Visigoths…

Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; March 26, 2014 at 12:08 PM.

The whole next year Julius planned his upcoming campaign. He marched a force of around 18.000 men to the Dalmatian-Pannonian border, he expected that sufficient because of multiple reasons: the Ostrogoths were divided into several warlords who didn’t want to work together, they were weakened by their previous wars and famine plagued the land. He started his campaign quite early: he invaded by the end of February because God gave him exellent weather conditions. In early march he crossed the fluvus Savens his intentions were clear: he would split up his forces and attack the two main cities of Pannonia Inferior the great city of Sirmium and the fortified town named Incerum. After around one month both cities were taken, with relative ease. In Sirmium Erwig, son of king Theodoric, was killed
    Julius could spend his attention now on Pannonia Superior. The Ostrogoths didn’t try to field an army to counter Julius Nepos but rather retreated in the settlements of Siscia and Aquincum. So Julius, spread his forces once again and marched ,further away of Rome, to the North! Siscia, only defended by an infamous warlord surrendered after being shelled by onagers. Aquincum was more difficult, because two reasons: first the terrain Aquincum was surrounded by swamps; second Were the 8000 spearmen of Theodoric, king of the Ostrogoths. Therefore Julius had shell the city till August before assaulting the city. Around 5000 barbarians still occupied the city at the time of the attack. Battle was fierce and dragged on till darkness, but the whole day Julius Nepos and his imperial guards were fighting upfront. He killed multiple men that day, but near the end he was hit by a spear. Quickly dragged away from the fight most men feared the worst, but he recovered well and quickly.

Now one would think this barbarian tribe was wiped out… but many warlords, men, women and children crossed the Danubius and marched westwards causing trouble… to make sure that no other barbarian tribes would invade Pannonia Julius ordered his generals to fortify river crossings along the Danubius. What a splendid sight in one year the Romans reconquered a whole province and brought it firmly under their control!

The red arrows indicate forces marching to secure rivercrossing along the Danubius

Content Emeritus

Interesting AAR. Like the use of maps. It adds to the story quite well.

In March 485 he stood, with his 12.000 men force, in the North of Pannonia. He was becoming an old man but that would not stop him! The Ostrogoths were on the other side of the Danubius, marching to the West! They would settle somewhere, maybe in the lands of the Thrugians or the lands of the Franks or , what Nepos feared, in Gallia were there were still real Romans. He had to help them! So when the Ostrogoths marched in the Lands of the Thrugians he followed them. But there was one problem,: this area was under control of Freduric, an old general of Odoacer, who guarded his northern territories when the King died. Freduric had three important settlements along the Danubius: Carnuntum, Lauriacum and Augusta Vindelicorum. Freduric had only around 3.000 warriors divided over these three areas, so Nepos expected a walkover. Carnuntum surrendered after a brief attack with onagers and he could move westwards. Meanwhile Freduric made an alliance with the Visigoths: they would cross the Danubius in force and defeat Nepos his force and receive their old lands and the province of Noricum. Julius anticipated on this and marched a small piece of his force to Lauriacum, Freduric’s capital, the other part guarded the river crossing. On the 9 april 485 the Visigoths tried to cross the river with 12.000 warriors, men and women. Nepos had prepared himself on a hill were his artillery and legionnaires had an easy job killing the horde. On 12 april a force of 15.000 people tried desperately to cross the river but were slaughtered. That week only 200 men of Julius Nepos were killed, while the Ostrogoths were decimated. After this event Nepos sieged Lauriacum and killed Freduric while fighting upfront. On 11 March Augusta Videlicorum rejoined the Western Roman empire.

After this new conquest there was still no rest for our hero, he received a message from Boz, an Alan who was a mercenary captain in the Roman empire. When Odoacer took control of power, Gallia became an independent province. In 483 the Visigoths conquered southern Gaul and in this crisis Boz took control of power in the province. He was a smart man and he knew he needed the help of Nepos against his enemies: the Alamans, Burgundians and the Visigoths. If the Western Roman empire helped Gallia Boz would give the power back to the emperor. Julius had no other choice than helping the Romans who were under threat of barbarian raids

Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; August 05, 2014 at 02:30 PM.

Content Emeritus

The Roman Empire seems to be recovering nicely. It will be interesting to see how the Visigoths, Burgundians and Alamens react to the news of the Romans helping out the Empire of Boz.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    The Roman Empire seems to be recovering nicely. It will be interesting to see how the Visigoths, Burgundians and Alamens react to the news of the Romans helping out the Empire of Boz.
    Thanks for the comment
    I am living in the fast lane the past days (unif work, party and girls ) and the comming days will be more of the same.
    I don't know when I will update again maybe next weekend (sunday xD).
    The coming parts of the story will be very interesting!

UPDATE: the next parts will come have some drinks in the meantime lol
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; August 01, 2014 at 11:19 AM.

Julius Nepos sat in his general pavilion considering his upcomming campaign. He was 64 winters old now and he knew it was the time to bring give the title of emperor to Lucullius Nepos, his only son. The problem was he was only 20 years old and not as brilliant (yet?) as his famous father. Julius considered adopting me but in the endvhe wanted to establish a line of emperors based on his family line. Maybe he was influenced by the fact he just became grand-father.
    The upcomming campaign tactics against the Alamani tribes would be based on his successes against the Ostrogoths. Only with a smaler force of around 10.000 but battle hardened legionaires. Others had to guard the Danubius against the barabrian tribes on the other side.
    His loyal general Titus would strike with 3000 men on Devona, while Julius Nepos and 7000 others would take the fortified city of Argentoratum. Nepos' son Lucullius joined his father during the winter and that fall,may to be exact, the invasion began. After two weeks Nepos reached Argentoratum and prepared his artillery. Some days later Devona got taken because almost everyone fled, even before seeing our banners, to the north! At the same time Nepos recieved information of his spies more to the west. More than 20.000 Alamani were fleeing/moving to the north towards the territory of the Franks where Nepos had no plans to go because the Franks were always neutral although sometimes the seemed intrested to take more land of Gallia.
    So he ordered to take Argentoratum on the 15th of May. There were around 4.000 enemies in the city but Nepos was confident to fight alongside with his son and his soldiers, despite his blessed age. The onagers and balistas opened fire on the enemy gates and wooden walls. Many enemies fell in the fist minutes and the infantry marched in. When they were 100 from the city center they faced fear resistance. Julius Nepos ran forward and started to kill Allamani but his son Lucillius, the coward, turned back and ordered the onagers to aim for the enemies fighting in the streets. The fight went on for some minutes, and it started to rain, a dark omen. When a onager missed his shotJulius Nepos was hit! The gods were truly against us that day! Panic started among the soldiers but the Centurions encouraged to avenge their leader. After another hour Argentoratum was conquered, but there were no celebrations that day.

Lucullius locked himself in his headquarters and was not seen for a week...

The campaign against the Alamani had to be continued there were still places of resistance and the horde could turn around... a new strong leader had to stand up.

Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; August 28, 2014 at 02:13 PM.