Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Launcher Update: Mod Versioning

CA Developer Icon Launcher Update: Mod Versioning

Hi All,

Just wanted to make you aware of some new functionality in the Mod Manager that will be included in the next game update, just before Hannibal at the Gates releases next week.

What’s New?
    From the next update, ROME II will no longer automatically enable out-of date mods when you launch the game.

An out-of-date mod is a mod which has not been updated since the latest game update.

If you still wish to load with out-of-date mods you can do so. You just have to go into the mod manager pane, and check the box at the top saying “Enable Out-Of-Date Mods”. See the picture below for how this will look.

Why has this been added?
    Out-of-date mods are a significant cause of crashes and other problems after a new update, by helping to alert people that they are loading out-of-date mods we will ensure that the game functions correctly after updating for more people.

Some mods will work correctly with updated versions of the game, so in some cases enabling these will not cause any problems. This new feature will give you more control over troubleshooting your mod collections for any that are problematic

Note for Modders
    When a new update is released for the game, modders will need to check their mods and update them with the latest version of the game installed. Regardless of whether you are happy with your mod or need to make changes, you will have to click update when using the latest version of the game, so your mod receives the new version stamp. The mod manager will then automatically load it again on launch for your users.

This is what is will look like in the launcher so you are aware of the change.

This update will be going live before Hannibal at the Gates next week.

Thanks

Joey CA

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Launcher Update: Mod Versioning

Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for this
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

This should helpfully prevent people from crashing their games with out of date mods.

question is, who will decide which mods are out to date? It is impossible to tell up front anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    question is, who will decide which mods are out to date? It is impossible to tell up front anyway...

An out-of-date mod is a mod which has not been updated since the latest game update.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey CA View Post
    When a new update is released for the game, modders will need to check their mods and update them with the latest version of the game installed. Regardless of whether you are happy with your mod or need to make changes, you will have to click update when using the latest version of the game, so your mod receives the new version stamp. The mod manager will then automatically load it again on launch for your users.
    Modders will confirm their mods are up to date.

With every new update all mods will automatically become out of date until updated by the mod creator to get stamped with the latest version of the game.
    Last edited by Joey CA; March 21, 2014 at 08:51 AM.

Thats a really nice feature, and its hopefully a sign for more patches to come.
    Hope other games pick will pick that mechanic up.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Hi Joey, this ia a good idea, something similar I saw in the huge workshop of skyrim but I would understand better the criterya of this new function:

what, for example, about, many unit packs which don't need to be updated after every patch? I'm using many of them and they almost work properly , unmodified also after 3 huge Patches like 8,9 and this 10 one.

They would appear out of date even if working properly only cause their last update is happened before the date of last patch.. am I right?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey CA View Post
    With every new update all mods will automatically become out of date until updated by the mod creator to get stamped with the latest version of the game.

point i was trying to make is - there are mods that are compatible with the new patch and dont need to be updated.. even these mods will be marked as out to date.. like for example any texture mods that just change ingame textures but dont add new stuff..

Trish CA's Avatar Libertus

point i was trying to make is - there are mods that are compatible with the new patch and dont need to be updated.. even these mods will be marked as out to date.. like for example any texture mods that just change ingame textures but dont add new stuff..
    It's more for bigger-scaled mods, especially when unit balancing goes into place.

Seems like a good idea Thanks

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

This is very welcome thing for mod manager. People should know this easier when a mod is out of date and need update with current patch.

This is going to make life more convenient, cool.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Radious's Avatar I came, I saw, I modded

Just a note. All mods which are not uploaded to workshop (for example mediafire or here o TWC) will be always shown as outdated in mod manager. You can use them, but you wont get rid of that message even if its fully compatible with latest game patch/dlc cause launcher wont recognise it as a workshop part so will mark it as outdated mod. You will have to trust your modder in this :-)

Winner of the 2011, 2012. 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Modding Awards in Total War Shogun 2, Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.
    Follow us here - Team Radious

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Radious View Post
    Just a note. All mods which are not uploaded to workshop (for example mediafire or here o TWC) will be always shown as outdated in mod manager. You can use them, but you wont get rid of that message even if its fully compatible with latest game patch/dlc cause launcher wont recognise it as a workshop part so will mark it as outdated mod. You will have to trust your modder in this :-)
    So this will annoy the hell of every TWC follower who download mods here as well as any textures/graphic mod users. What a formidable change !

In the same time, the launcher will remain as atrocious as the game UI for everyone using more than 3 mods at the same times.

Why did CA changed their mod launcher. S2 launcher was simple yet effective. R2 launcher is the exact opposite.
    Last edited by Anna_Gein; March 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    So this will annoy the hell of every TWC follower who download mods here as well as any textures/graphic mod users. What a formidable change !

In the same time, the launcher will remain as atrocious as the game UI for everyone using more than 3 mods at the same times.

Why did CA changed their mod launcher. S2 launcher was simple yet effective. R2 launcher is the exact opposite.
    Agree with you, would be good and helpful a mod manager display where we can easily put mods in desired-requested order (and maybe see conflicts, same as in the good mod manager made by Mitch.)

I think it would help in the same direction of this official, announced upgrade.

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

Sounds like a nice idea. Thanks for this
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    C.S. Lewis

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Cool addition

Lets hope this finally stop people making thread "My game is broke, Thx CA for breaking myn mods with your patching" so annoying when people dont know what there doing and making stupid threads.

Smart move CA...
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast