View Poll Results: Is the boycott going too far?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • The boycott isn't going far enough. He should be punished other ways.

0 0%
  • The boycott is about right. People have a right to not drink at his bar.

11 57.89%
  • The boycott is going too far, as he did apologize.

7 36.84%
  • Undecided

1 5.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bar owner puts up sign calling gun owners "d-bags" and "losers"

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Bar owner puts up sign calling gun owners "d-bags" and "losers"

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Yea I don't see how any law abiding citizen could take offense at being called a douche bag.
    You just have really low self a steam if you get offended at a sign calling people douchebags.

Yea I don't see how any law abiding citizen could take offense at being called a douche bag.
    In a world of social media and communication at the swipe of a touch screen, no one should be so sheltered from harsh language that they take serious offense at being called a douchebag. Honestly, just about everyone has something nasty said about them on a daily basis, if we got upset every time that happened society wouldn't function.

I have a quick experiment, try calling me a douchebag directly on this site and see how that goes

You seem to be confusing offensive with rights to not be offended here. Its a common mistake people can make not grocking the issue. The bar owner is 100% free to post a sign that may be offensive. People are 100% free to see said sign and take their business elsewhere while telling other people why they are.

This has nothing to do with rights or society in some sort of hypersensitive state.

But imagine if the sign said no-*s, and would you still be defending the rights to not be offended? Perhaps but that would be intellectually honest here, and thats rarely the case. There is nothing wrong with being offended by something someone says. Thinking the law has to protect you from is though is a different matter.
    Last edited by Phier; March 20, 2014 at 07:17 AM.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

There's nothing wrong with taking offense to something, we're just pointing out there's such a thing as being too touchy. Just as they have the right to be offended, I have the right to say they're silly for being offended. Now, if the sign said "no " or "no fags", that'd be a different story, not because it's offensive but because it's unfairly discriminating against a section of the populace, preventing them from doing something that they should, by all rights, be allowed to do, in this case attending the bar. Now, you might say, isn't saying gun owners aren't allowed disenfranchising them? No. Why? You can just not bring your gun, in which case you'll be allowed in. It isn't banning gun owners because they have guns, it's telling gun owners not to bring their guns into the bar. You can choose to leave the gun at home, you can't leave your "black" or "gayness" at home.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Either way it's stupid to think they're wrong for going or not going. If they don't feel welcome they don't have to go. Unwise decision for a business owner to post up in a section of the country known for owning guns. It would be exactly as if he posted a sign saying "no " in the South. Hell, half the population down here is black.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

They can take offense, I'd be more concerned if they 'felt threatened' and opened fire, which is apparently all it takes to avoid going to prison for shooting someone in some places!

You can't hold your ground if you're not invited in.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

StarDreamer's Avatar Domesticus

Too biased poll, can't vote! I think it should be allowed for businesses to deny guns into their premises. Especially with alcohol involved. Anyone trying to do so is indeed a loser and douchebag. Then again I'm a filthy Euro so... If someone doesn't like it than that is their problem.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/ana...2.38&soc=-3.44 <-- "Dangerous far right bigot!" -SJWs

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Sorry if I missed it, are there any stats that will give us information on gunfights in US bars?

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura View Post
    The man hasn't given a real apology for his statement yet, as he only apologized "for the harsh language," but not for the statement itself. He then claims that he himself is a gun rights supporter and has a concealed carry permit, but provides no evidence of this. Do you think the widespread backlash and boycott against his business is justified?
    Why should he apologise? Everyone knows guns are for douchebags compensating for their small wieners....

OMFG! This is outrageous! He doesn't want guns in his bar, where he serves alcohol? He should be liberated for hating freedom and White Jesus.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    OMFG! This is outrageous! He doesn't want guns in his bar, where he serves alcohol? He should be liberated for hating freedom and White Jesus.
    He's probably a communist or a Muslim. How dare he insult the proud gun-owner of the USA. Those gun-owners are protecting freedom and liberty. How dare he.
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

Quote Originally Posted by General Mosh View Post
    There's nothing wrong with taking offense to something, we're just pointing out there's such a thing as being too touchy. Just as they have the right to be offended, I have the right to say they're silly for being offended. Now, if the sign said "no " or "no fags", that'd be a different story, not because it's offensive but because it's unfairly discriminating against a section of the populace, preventing them from doing something that they should, by all rights, be allowed to do, in this case attending the bar. Now, you might say, isn't saying gun owners aren't allowed disenfranchising them? No. Why? You can just not bring your gun, in which case you'll be allowed in. It isn't banning gun owners because they have guns, it's telling gun owners not to bring their guns into the bar. You can choose to leave the gun at home, you can't leave your "black" or "gayness" at home.
    What if he said "No douchebags with long hair" or "No douchebags with tatoos" or "No wearing makeup" or "No smoking douchebags" so I hope you get the idea.

Here's the deal for me here, I wouldn't carry a gun into a bar, but I wouldn't patronize a bar where I thought the owner was a douchebag. What you are saying is that someone shouldn't be offended by THIS issue, which is rather arrogant. Now you don't have to care, I don't really care a whole lot about it myself, and even my gym has a "No guns" sign which is hilarious being my gym is 50% retirees, 30% soccer moms, and 20% the husbands of soccer moms in a rich suburb. If they had added "douchebag" though I'd probably be asking to have a manager fired
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

I guess you can't stop being black, but you can stop carrying a gun.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

All my friends down in Clemson are furious at this guy. Of all the towns to try and pull this in he picked Clemson. What the heck did he expect? If he had posted the correct sign then there wouldn't have been a problem, and I as someone who supports gun rights would be perfectly understanding. But when you actively insult the majority of the populace of a college town that's considered pretty conservative for public universities you're gonna have a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Facupay View Post
    Then the Bar Owner's move was one of the most stupid things I've seen in a long time.
    The law allows bar owners and restaurant owners to set their own rules.

Honestly, this man isn't calling gun owners d-bags and losers. He owns guns himself according to news reports on this. He is calling anyone that brings a gun to a bar with the intent of getting drunk d-bags and losers. And I totally agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    The law allows bar owners and restaurant owners to set their own rules.

Honestly, this man isn't calling gun owners d-bags and losers. He owns guns himself according to news reports on this. He is calling anyone that brings a gun to a bar with the intent of getting drunk d-bags and losers. And I totally agree with him.
    “NO CONCEALED WEAPONS ALLOWED,” the sign warns. “If you are such a loser that you feel a need to carry a gun with you when you go out, I do not want your business. Douchebag.”
    Only thats not exactly what he said now is it? He done goofed.

My shameful truth.

StarDreamer's Avatar Domesticus

Only thats not exactly what he said now is it? He done goofed.
    Well to be fair disgruntledgoat got one thing wrong. The owner just means if you bring a gun to a bar, then you are a loser douchebag. But essentially most people that go to a bar go there to get drink so...
    I really see no need to get offended unless you like to carry your gun into a bar, and if you do, then quite frankly I think he is right. Guns and alcohol is a really, really bad mix.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/ana...2.38&soc=-3.44 <-- "Dangerous far right bigot!" -SJWs

nce_wht_guy's Avatar Vicarius

They can fill out one of these.

Support Russia!

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    All my friends down in Clemson are furious at this guy. Of all the towns to try and pull this in he picked Clemson. What the heck did he expect? If he had posted the correct sign then there wouldn't have been a problem, and I as someone who supports gun rights would be perfectly understanding. But when you actively insult the majority of the populace of a college town that's considered pretty conservative for public universities you're gonna have a bad time.
    Still angry, even after his apology? Maybe your friends should get thicker skin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast