Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Post bugs here

Default Re: Post bugs here

I also have Col_loc_en.pack in the data folder

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Poacher886 View Post
    I also have Col_loc_en.pack in the data folder
    Meant to mention that too. It's names and descriptions so leave that there.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Ok, getting somewhere, but really odd. I took out all the files and checked cache..sure enough it found a file missing. Put back your files and started it up...attacked an army straight away and it works!!!

Here's the weird bit though...when i first tried your mod earlier, i had the option to play Scotland....now i dont?

Hey again Poacher now I am getting the same crash to desktop error that you were getting before when loading a battle. I am playing a campaign with Spain. All the sea battles work fine its just any land battle crashes the bar loads up just a bit. Interesting enough when I was playing a campign with England everything worked fine. So I dont know why playing with Spain doesn't work? Would you know Geronimo2006
    ?

Ok Geronimo, i've found the issue.

I tried in vanilla format, just your files playing as Austria i attacked the nearest Polish army and no probs. I then added 'no trails' and did the same with the same...no probs, i then added lingeing smoke and muzzle flashes, as i was sure there were no probs with this, and sure enough..no probs. Then i added small unit cards and 30 unit army's and again all worked fine.....Then i noticed the year was 1700, and suddenly thought, thats why i did'nt have scotlland to play.....i've forgotten to put in the Startpos.file.

So i added that, and sure enough tried a battle and CTD!!!

Thus the problem lies with the Startpos file....this has happened with both Sweden and Austria, so im guessing the rest, though that does'nt explain why some are having no probs?

P.s, sorry to be all negative, but clearly im yet to play....however, what i have seen of the game looks fantastic...are you going to include the historical flags at some point. The models both campaign and battle map are great..not liking the low numbers you used i went 2x i.e 240 infantry and 600 pike units with 30 unit army's...approaching the real numbers involved for alot of the battles..or will be when i can have one Lol.
    Last edited by Poacher886; June 28, 2015 at 09:48 PM.

Well than why were the land battles working originally now all of a sudden they do not? I was using the same startpos.file. Or by exiting the game it reset it...? So than I have to go and set it again?

Got no idea about that...perhaps it works for some factions and not others, which did you play?

First i tried Sweden and a sea battle that worked fine, but when i attacked a Russian army *without model, it crashed. Then as Sweden, i tried a land battle against Denmark in Norway, and again it crashed on the loading bar. Starting again as Austria, first land battle and crash again.

Its the same everytime, you press "start battle" the loading bar kicks off, gets about 5%, the music stutters, then CTD.

So i did some trouble shooting and the naval battles work but not the land battles anymore why is that...? Some one help!

Got no idea about that...perhaps it works for some factions and not others, which did you play?

First i tried Sweden and a sea battle that worked fine, but when i attacked a Russian army *without model, it crashed. Then as Sweden, i tried a land battle against Denmark in Norway, and again it crashed on the loading bar. Starting again as Austria, first land battle and crash again.

Its the same everytime, you press "start battle" the loading bar kicks off, gets about 5%, the music stutters, then CTD.
    I am not experiencing any of these problems. Make sure you only install the patch after you install the core files. Also the startpos works fine for me.

As a random fact: I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit. What OS are you running it on? I think ETW runs more stable on 64 bit OS.

I am going to put up a tutorial on how users can potentially fix crashes themselves. Sometimes downloads become corrupted for unknown reasons, resulting in some files being lost. Sometimes the solution is to download again. Other times the solution may be to import the missing files using Packfilemanager. I will add that I am not experiencing any of the crashes Napoli and you are.

It would help with your problem if you can post a screenshot of your army before the loading screen so I can check the relevant units out. You can do this by clicking F12.

Regarding the startpos: Startpos stands for "starting positions" i.e. on the campaign map. So it has nothing to do with pre-battle crashes.

I never promised I would fix the random ETW crashes that have plagued the game since release.

Try Run as Administrator in Steam before you start the game. Sometimes that helps.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 28, 2015 at 11:26 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Hi Geronimo I appreciate this information but what is very strange is that when I started my first campaign with England and had both land and sea battles no crashes I played 30 something turns with England. Than I saved it. Shut down PC. Than came back when I started a new faction (Spain) I played campaign at first no problems had a few sea battles, than as soon as I had my first land battle in the Spanish campaign the game crashed! I thought it would just happen with that campaign but than when I checked to see if British campaign same thing. Now it's crashing when I play a land battle for even English campaign. So maybe I may have to uninstall and reinstall mod again. Btw are you saying now to try using mod manger to launch the game?? I thought u said not to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Napoli23 View Post
    Hi Geronimo I appreciate this information but what is very strange is that when I started my first campaign with England and had both land and sea battles no crashes I played 30 something turns with England. Than I saved it. Shut down PC. Than came back when I started a new faction (Spain) I played campaign at first no problems had a few sea battles, than as soon as I had my first land battle in the Spanish campaign the game crashed! I thought it would just happen with that campaign but than when I checked to see if British campaign same thing. Now it's crashing when I play a land battle for even English campaign. So maybe I may have to uninstall and reinstall mod again. Btw are you saying now to try using mod manger to launch the game?? I thought u said not to use it?
    I don't recall saying anywhere that modmanager should be used. In fact if you do run it, some of the faction specific models may not appear.

I would recommend that you check the user scripts folder to make sure there isn't anything on the mod list there that shouldn't be. Also if there's a "last used mods" script delete that. Scripting errors are one potential cause of loading screen crashes.

Try restarting your PC to free up RAM. That may help. ETW is tough on hardware even now.

Poacher I am well aware Puckle guns were not used in the 17th century. Another member of the team put that in there for reasons I am not sure of (I think he felt the model reflect lighter artillery pieces by the Swedes - I'm not so sure). I will remove them.

One example if how a script-related crash can happens is as follows:

Suppose you are playing Colonialism 1600AD and then switch off ETW. Then suppose you open Modmanager and run other mods. That results in the user script being edited by ETW. So if you then close ETW and Modmanager, and run it again, ETW will consult the script file and see mods listed there you may have deleted from the Data folder since. If it doesn't find them, that can result in a crash.

So the moral of the story is: each time you run Colonialism 1600AD, first return to the scripts folder and paste back in our user script over the one that is there at the time, if it contains anything other than:

mod "colmod.pack";
    mod "Col_models.pack";
    mod "Col_loc_en.pack";
    mod "Col_ui.pack";
    mod "Colo_events.pack";
    mod "Pikeman_animation_MOD.pack";
    mod "patch_general_andy's_musket_sounds.pack";
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 29, 2015 at 12:45 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

It crushes everytime when i try to play a battle in the campaign, now i'm stuck

I've just noticed my script does not contain mod "Col_loc_en.pack"; despite using the one provided..i will try adding this. Nope doest work.

Just to reiterate, everything works fine without the Startpos file, add that and it crashes at the start of ALL land battles.

P,S thought you were going to include the ability to play minor factions aswell.

Greetings Geronimo again I really appreciate the effort in trying to resolve this "land battle" and I am not at all trying to be negative. But I am doing everything you said to do to the letter and I never used mod manager to launch. I checked my scripts and everything is there. What I don't understand is everything worked at first including land battles so somehow game got corrupted just because I started a campaign with another faction... Now I see that Duke is having issues with ONLY land battles as well. There must be some bug in this mod that's causing this for just land battles, making this mod unstable and unplayable hopefully this bug gets solved soon. Because when it was working this was a most amazing mod.

If you have problems with the new startpos, default to the CA startpos by clicking "verify integrity of game cache" in Steam. That will make the game start in 1700. I am not experiencing these crashes.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    If you have problems with the new startpos, default to the CA startpos by clicking "verify integrity of game cache" in Steam. That will make the game start in 1700. I am not experiencing these crashes.
    Not really a solution though is it, the whole point is not to play vanilla 1700 ETW with 17th century models, its having the right nations in the right place that makes it 1600's, at 1700 your seeing Britain! and half of america colonised. No scotland and so on, there is clearly an issue as many of us are having it.

DO you have the original Startpos file in the old download that allowed the 1600 start, this worked fine, cant stomach playing at 1700, just doesn't feel right. I just looked at your old download thread but its gone.
    Last edited by Poacher886; June 29, 2015 at 01:08 PM.

To piggy back off of waft poacher is saying your right it's NOT a solution for just land battles crashing. Everything works except for land battles it does not have to do with the startpos it most likely had to either do with script or a bug. It does not have to do with units because no matter waft country u play u get a crash to desk top when trying to play land battles! Even won't load when playing just a quick land battle outside of campaign. So since others are having the same exact problem, such as duke me and poacher than it has to do with the stability of the mod. I just hope it gets fixed soon.

Not really a solution though is it, the whole point is not to play vanilla 1700 ETW with 17th century models, its having the right nations in the right place that makes it 1600's, at 1700 your seeing Britain! and half of america colonised. No scotland and so on, there is clearly an issue as many of us are having it.

DO you have the original Startpos file in the old download that allowed the 1600 start, this worked fine, cant stomach playing at 1700, just doesn't feel right. I just looked at your old download thread but its gone.
    The first startpos last year is here. There is a later startpos on that download page as well and a very old version of this mod.

Try deleting all other scripts from.the scripts folder and then put in the modded script there.

Try using Modmanager if you get crashes but I am not getting crashes and the faction specific campaign map models may not work in that case.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 29, 2015 at 03:19 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

I think I found the reason why certain units crash a loading battle. It is the officer modell "musk_officer". When I replaced musk_officer by earlycavalryofficer in units_stats_land the battle loaded correctly. I tried this with Croat Musketmen und Swedish Jaegers which formerly crashed my battles. I think the bug is in the battle_personality_tables.

Quote Originally Posted by artabazanes View Post
    I think I found the reason why certain units crash a loading battle. It is the officer modell "musk_officer". When I replaced musk_officer by earlycavalryofficer in units_stats_land the battle loaded correctly. I tried this with Croat Musketmen und Swedish Jaegers which formerly crashed my battles. I think the bug is in the battle_personality_tables.
    There was an issue with the musk officer that I think I fixed in the patch. It's running fine for me with that model.

In the battle personalities tables in the patch, musk officer is assigned the man_spontoon behaviour and the euro_officer_spontoon equipment theme. This is fine for infantry officers. Earlycavalryofficer is a battlefield personality using the same model but not the spontoon.

The main change in the patch was to ensure the spontoon equipment theme did not apply to earlycavalryofficer.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 29, 2015 at 05:16 PM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast