Thread: Standard of Ur - what was its real purpose?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Standard of Ur - what was its real purpose?

Hello people. I'm drunk. It's the end of St. Patty's day celebrations, but I come here to TWC once again to try and introduce something worthy to our endless but worthwhile conversations.

What exactly was the purpose of the Sumerian Standard of Ur? It is a so-called standard because that was what the guy back in the 1920s who discovered it thought it most likely served as: a battle standard. However, this has come into serious doubt by those who've examined the remains. Did it serve as simple decoration for a box that was meant to house the goods to be used by the deceased in their afterlife? How very ancient Chinese of them.

Here's an image of its reconstruction now housed and displayed at the British Museum:

Good Lord man, this thing is dated to roughly 2500 BC. That's ing old! About as old as old gets, really. Are we really too far removed from this far distant culture to understand and interpret its artwork? What was the basic function of this piece?

I mean, I get it, it shows scenes of warfare juxtaposed with scenes of peace, which could be interpreted as an obvious dichotomy between these two states of human affairs OR as the festive celebrations following a very specific, recent battle for the Sumerians (+ their subjugation of a foreign enemy people).

What do you guys think?

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Standard of Ur - what was its real purpose?

A footrest for the Sumerian throne?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Some kind of glorifying image? On one side it shows how much of a bad ass warrior he is and on the other he is either showing all of the awesome tribute and plunder he just got or he is depicting how he is such a good ruler that people will totally want to get behind because people can provide the goods.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    A footrest for the Sumerian throne?
    I highly doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Some kind of glorifying image? On one side it shows how much of a bad ass warrior he is and on the other he is either showing all of the awesome tribute and plunder he just got or he is depicting how he is such a good ruler that people will totally want to get behind because people can provide the goods.
    Glorification is quite clear, yes. However, what was the utilitarian function of this piece of art beyond expressing abstract concepts of war, peace, and plunder? Why is it shaped the way it is? That is, like a Toblerone chocolate bar. I wonder how it was originally arranged in the tomb.

It's clearly to glorify the size of their chariot horses penis.

Patrician

Those chariots look like giant penises.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Praeses

I think POW's hid underneath it and tunneled their way to victory.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I think POW's hid underneath it and tunneled their way to victory.
    LOL. All very good theories guys, although I have to say I wasn't expecting this thread to get so many funny responses. I thought this subject would have been dry enough for the learned to come out of the woodwork and provide their expert analysis on the subject. Perhaps Ferrets knows something about this? Seeing how Ferrets has shown knowledge about the ancient Near East before.

Patrician

Maybe it was a Gouald weapon of machine of some sort.

Euphoric's Avatar Semisalis

Perhaps its an ancient alien rocket thruster that will only activate during a planetary alignment with the Pyramid of Khufu.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Maybe it was a Gouald weapon of machine of some sort.
    Please, let's be serious. This thread is about history, not science-fiction...
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Nietzsche

Is a 'standard' something that stands-up or stands-tall - like a standard rose?

druzhina345
    Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by druzhina345 View Post
    Is a 'standard' something that stands-up or stands-tall - like a standard rose?

druzhina345
    Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
    The so-called "standard of ur" being a standard has been ruled out by archaeologists already, yet the name has unfortunately stuck since the 1920s. But yes, a battle standard is made of any sort of cloth and should be hoisted up and be easily recognizable by your troops. This was clearly meant to be a stationary piece of artwork. However, it's in a rather odd shape, hence my inquiry and creating this thread in the first place.