Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Navy SEALs take hold of rebel Morning Glory...

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Default US Navy SEALs take hold of rebel Morning Glory...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26609025

Will this move help improve Libyan-US relations? And what is your opinion of this use of US Naval power?
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Default Re: US Navy SEALs take hold of rebel Morning Glory...

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26609025

Will this move help improve Libyan-US relations? And what is your opinion of this use of US Naval power?

It was stolen oil, so fair play to the US Navy.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

And what is your opinion of this use of US Naval power?
    Well technically and legally if done at the bequest of the government we recognize and to stop what looks like an 'illegal' activity fine.

We spend a lot of money money to have a huge military and we have talked up the security of the sea for a long time as one of our rationals for floating big fleets and lots of armed men and women everywhere in the world - so again fine. We can burnish our rhetoric here, or with aid to the Philippines or helping to find missing jet planes

Should we be spending that money to do what Libya can't - I dunno. This one is a bit annoying where are all the forces of all those European states that were so hot intervene and topple Gaddafi?

I do wonder what the tally for the op was? Not just it - in and of itself - but also the ability to do it in the first place. I wonder what those $'s would have bought in schools or roads or damn repair or NIH grants, food stamps or unemployment etc... but that is just isolationist crazy talk clearly I should be happy to be paying taxes and incurring debt to do for Libya what it won't do for itself.

In all honesty I would find it rather funny if the US simply sold off the ship and its cargo and also charged Libya for the cost of policing its own state. Don't like it than get your in a sock and run your country. It would be even more cool if the military grunts got prize money out of it.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; March 17, 2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: censor bypassing
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

The BBC article fails to mention that Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said that the seizure was requested by the Libyan and Cypriot governments. So, yeah, don't see how this will hurt US/Libyan relations...
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Just amazing how unstable Libya continues to be with militants controlling certain oil ports and the PM of the country capable of being kidnapped. We have Somalia #2 on our hands here.
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Armenum View Post
    Just amazing how unstable Libya continues to be with militants controlling certain oil ports and the PM of the country capable of being kidnapped. We have Somalia #2 on our hands here.
    Na, it is all expected so don't worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

One way or another. . .the public does NOT need to know it was the SEALs. The Teams have been getting way too much publicity recently--it's going to get people killed.
    Son of PW

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    One way or another. . .the public does NOT need to know it was the SEALs. The Teams have been getting way too much publicity recently--it's going to get people killed.
    Will bet money that the people deciding on the press releases know more than you about which missions to make a statement on and which ones not to.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Na, it is all expected so don't worry.
    The West should learn that replacing a Middle Eastern/North African dictatorship with a Western-style liberal democracy always results in a weak state with high amount of civil disorder. Either they haven't realized that yet or actually want it to happen.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

The West should learn that replacing a Middle Eastern/North African dictatorship with a Western-style liberal democracy always results in a weak state with high amount of civil disorder. Either they haven't realized that yet or actually want it to happen.
    again with this view? because there obviously wasn't a revolution happening across the majority of these nations of course not .. so then you get the decision support the dictator or support the protesters ; or do nothing and watch as thousands die which would you choose?
    Last edited by knight of meh; March 17, 2014 at 07:17 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by knight of meh View Post
    again with this view? because there obviously wasn't a revolution happening across the majority of these nations of course not .. so then you get the decision support the dictator or support the protesters ; or do nothing and watch as thousands die which would you choose?
    You do have the choice to get in, kill both, get out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Libya was a special case, Gaddafi was about to/had gone too far, and Libya was within easy range of NATO air fields.

If he had quashed or mollified the tribal rebels quickly, nothing would have happened beyond a few indignant rantings.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

And how sure are you that such revolutions were not instigated by such powers in the first place? And furthermore, is it better to have an unstable state like Somalia where many are getting killed every day in civil strife, or have the dictator defeat the revolution? I don't think its that black and white, in both cases people suffer.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

And how sure are you that such revolutions were not instigated by such powers in the first place? And furthermore, is it better to have an unstable state like Somalia where many are getting killed every day in civil strife, or have the dictator defeat the revolution? I don't think its that black and white, in both cases people suffer.
    so you would choose the definite bad choice dictatorship over the possibility of a democracy i.e Tunisia .. and to anyone who tells me that a group outside a nation started a revolution without boots on the ground .. I laugh at you .. they may have helped it along financially may even have made it possible think Russian or American weapons getting into peoples hands but to start and carry through revolution without significant backing from inside that nation ? i think not .

Your making a lesser of two evils argument which is almost as bad as the greater good argument really .. both lead to happening .
    Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    You do have the choice to get in, kill both, get out.

there are too many hell just to many ..

YuriVII's Avatar Primicerius

Seems like typical law-enforcement action. Though why not the French get a handle on it? They have the ability and training to pull it off, and besides, :Libya was Sarkozy's pet project.

Lord of Nihilism's Avatar Semisalis

If anyone should handle this, it's France since they've had a lot of experience in dealing with Africa in the past due to their past colonies and the fact that Algiers, which is in Africa I believe was home to the French Foreign Legion for a very long time. Aside from the fact that for some reason, American special forces are doing what France should be doing, I don't see much of a problem. The Libyan Government, despite how corrupt and incompetent it is asked for assistance through legal channels; this all seems pretty clear cut to me.

Although something tells me that if the Libyan Government has to get foreign troops to seize a tanker off their own coast, they're not going to last long in a civil war.

NATO could have stuck to the spirit of the UN resolution and annihilated the Libyan armor column headed to Benghazi, instead of violating the resolution and international law by violently removing a head of state. Pretty straightforward.
    Once a political decision has been reached to proceed with internal disturbances in Syria, CIA is prepared, and SIS (MI6) will attempt to mount minor sabotage and coup de main [sic] incidents within Syria, working through contacts with individuals. Incidents should not be concentrated in Damascus. [A] necessary degree of fear, [...] frontier incidents and [staged] border clashes [will] provide a pretext for intervention. The CIA and SIS should use [...] capabilities in both psychological and action fields to augment tension. [Funding should be provided for a] Free Syria Committee [and arms should be supplied to] political factions with paramilitary or other actionist capabilities.
    ~ Joint US-UK leaked Intelligence Document, 1957

Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    NATO could have stuck to the spirit of the UN resolution and annihilated the Libyan armor column headed to Benghazi, instead of violating the resolution and international law by violently removing a head of state. Pretty straightforward.
    Can't see how NATO removed a head of state when said head of state was shot by Lybian rebels...
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    Can't see how NATO removed a head of state when said head of state was shot by Lybian rebels...
    I think he is saying NATO went beyond the scope of the UN resolution. But i don't think he actually has read the resolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...esolution_1973

• demands the immediate establishment of a ceasefire and a complete end to violence and all attacks against, and abuses of, civilians;
    • imposes a no-fly zone over Libya;
    • authorizes all necessary means to protect civilians and civilian-populated areas, except for a "foreign occupation force";
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

so you would choose the definite bad choice dictatorship over the possibility of a democracy i.e Tunisia .. and to anyone who tells me that a group outside a nation started a revolution without boots on the ground .. I laugh at you .. they may have helped it along financially may even have made it possible think Russian or American weapons getting into peoples hands but to start and carry through revolution without significant backing from inside that nation ? i think not .

Your making a lesser of two evils argument which is almost as bad as the greater good argument really .. both lead to happening .
    As I said it's not a black and white choice. If a person tells me, you rather have Gadaffi or a Somalia-like Libya that is full of civil war, with certain areas of the country being controlled by Islamic extremist groups and so forth, I would choose Gadaffi, because the latter would be democracy in a few streets surrounding Parliament and the rest of the country a dangerous disaster. Furthermore, Gadaffi is no Kim Jong-il. Democracy is good when the whole country is united behind it, a weak democracy that is wrought with civil war brings little benefit.

Of course, you have to have backing backing of the people, but it's often times that critical level of support that leads an unhappy populace from doing nothing to revolution.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast