Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is there such a lack of Rome 2 AARs?

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Why is there such a lack of Rome 2 AARs?

The forum for Rome 2 AARs currently has 27 threads in it. It has been out for over half a year and yet there is still a terrible lack of stories coming out of it. Is it something about the game itself, seeing as the other entrants in the series AAR foums are still active, or is it that people prefer to make Let's Plays or other things like that?
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Default Re: Why is there such a lack of Rome 2 AARs?

The game is shallow and many people who do AARs don't want to take the time of day.

because the game is a steaming pile of shite
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    obviously a Jewish Honeywell operation ... using a time machine invented in 1940 to know all future Far Right stars so Female Mossad Agents would bear their children and taint them for eternity.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Junius View Post
    ...seeing as the other entrants in the series AAR foums are still active...
    They are?

Quote Originally Posted by f0ma View Post
    They are?
    This.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Citizen

Ok, then rephrase it. Why are the AAR forums so inactive? Is TWC as a whole just less active now?
    Patron of Lysimachus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

We don't really know. Server issues might have had something to do with it. People took time off in the summer, then maybe school starting again in September drove them away. That's certainly one of the reasons I've been posting less. I can't speak for the activity on the rest of TWC, as I don't often venture outside the Study.

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

Statistics show that the overall activity of the site is actually up, although specific subfora are still suffering quite badly. The Writer's Study appears to be one of the worse hit areas, and I think one of the issues is encouraging people to spend time down here, outside their regular posting zones. I've seen lots of members who have the skill and imagination to turn out some amazing AARs and stories, but no inclination to do so.

There's not much that can be done about that, other than supporting new talent and providing a helpful and inclusive atmosphere. I'll certainly try to include and encourage where-ever I can. I think if we all tried to invite in a new member each, that might help. A TWC WS 'foster program'.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

Citizen

Has the reorganisation of the AAR fora under the Writer's Study, hidden in various subfora, quite far down the main list caused the effect? When I came back, and even though I left after the change, it still took me far too long to find this again.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I never knew how to get here when I first started posting and I had to go through the 'AARs' link in the Non-Total War games subforum, so maybe there's some truth to that I think the literary side of TWC isn't what most people come here for though. I'm not sure about what its like in other sub-communities here, but I get the feeling we're quite insular in the Study.

Yojimbo's Avatar Pig tail Sock
    Citizen

Rome 2 alienated a ton of fans so i guess people don't care about Total War like they once did and are disillusioned rather than inspired. My AAR has fallen by the wayside due to my writing job taking up a massive chunk of time and leaving me burned out on other writing.

I don't know about anyone else, and I obviously haven't been around too long, but I know personally school can be a major problem. I'm sure that's true of many people/

I haven't bought Rome II, so I cannot say for sure why people do not write AARs about it. However, from what I read on the forums it seems that generals are generic in Rome II, and there is no family tree. It appears obvious to me that this strips away role-playing aspects of the game, which in turn is detrimental to deriving any "story" from it. When playing MIITW, I have the impression that stories naturally present themselves because of family relations, retinues and ancillaries of the characters involved. If that is missing, well... stories will probably not present themselves in the same manner. Just my thoughts.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

I've been looking forward to a good CiGAAR.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Mostly I think because some people think that due to no family tree and such, it's "impossible" to write a good AAR.
    I'm personally waiting for Patch 10 to come out, which I think is next week, before restarting my own. I have some good ideas for it this time, and I'm going to try and prove you don't need things like a family tree, a ton of traits, or anything like that to write fun characters.

Of course, some of the lack is probably because since there's a lot of outcry about Rome 2, some people don't feel like writing an AAR if no one will really read it. After all, what is the fun in writing an AAR if no one reads it?

The #1 disheartening fact for myself has been no family tree. I guess I am finicky. However, it killed my motivation from the get-go, despite the possibility to work around it.

A democratic Ptolemaic Egypt in the 3rd century BC bores me. No thanks, CA.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Perhaps a yearly ( or just one mandated for the release of a new game) advertisement on the main news feed of the site would re-spark a greater deal of interest in Rome 2 AAR's. Kriss, it can be done. I'm feeling very comfortable with the game as a medium in my two AARS. I agree with what Strengelicher says, but I've been convincing (and very lucky) in getting an interesting plot and cast of characters in my Vanilla Carthage H campaign.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Firstly, when I'm not around activity in the Eras forum goes down. (I'm joking...or am I?)

Secondly, Rome II, in my opinion, just doesn't have the same appeal for writers of tales and AARs. No family tree, fewer towns etc, 'generic' units with little variety between certain peoples. All-in-all, though there is every chance I may try my hand at one, I'll say it's not really my cup of tea.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Firstly, when I'm not around activity in the Eras forum goes down. (I'm joking...or am I?)
    Don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but that might be changing soon

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

You can't just spill half a secret.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast