Thread: Royaume d’Ecosse

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Default Royaume d’Ecosse

Preamble: Royaume d’Ecosse is a turn based Role-playing game, whereby players will be role-playing year of the turn. The game will be set in 1080 AD Scotland; The King has just passed away leaving the throne empty and the country leaderless. Rally the people and take the throne but be weary, placing the crown upon your head is only the beginning of your worries. Norwegian pagans controlling Scottish lands to the west are pushing to conquer all of Scotland and if that is not enough you will have to deal with the normans to the south who want to expand their Kingdom north. Spread your faith throughout the realm and guide your people into a golden age.

The Rules will be broken down into these categories (if I am missing something please tell me)

A) Character Rules
    B) Professions and Titles (Nobility, Clergy, Merchant, and Holy Orders)
    C) Economy
    D) Church
    E) Battle System
    F) unrest and rebellions
    G) Captures and Assassinations
    Last edited by Lord William; March 13, 2014 at 07:01 PM.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Royaume d’Eccose

It's Royaume d'Ecosse, LW, with 2 S's, not 2 C's.
    And you shouldn't use that name if you're setting it pre-Davidian Revolution, ie before the middle 1100's.

King David I is who brought Anglo-Norman and French feudalism into Scotland; After him, most clans and like 90% of the nobility all descend from Normans and Flems.
    Before that, it's completely Celtic. Rather Pictish, if you really want to get into it. Picts and Goidels mixed..
    Clergy likely have little to no power, and monasteries don't exist as anything more than little rock huts.
    There are no knights, and Catholicism isn't really loyal to the Pope up there in Scotland (clergy not loyal to the Pope, and no one really cares what happens in Rome).
    Castles don't exist (obviously in 900) and the ruling elite is most definitely a pre-Feudal network of clans that date all the way back to the Pictish kingdoms.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; March 13, 2014 at 04:49 PM.

Citizen

Default Re: Royaume d’Eccose

Thanks for the Spell Check

very well I shall change the date to 1080AD

Section Editor ES

Default Re: Royaume d’Ecosse

That's no different, except for the existence of Normans in England to the south.

I'm not saying these timeframes aren't fun or interesting; I'm just trying to make sure you understand them correctly.
    From past experience, I believe you love to have powerful Prince-Bishoprics, which shouldn't exist until 1150+ maybe.
    Even then, the clergy were never overly powerful in Scotland.

If you want English and French-speaking knights running around the Highlands with stereotypical accents, fighting off English and Norwegian kings, I suggest you move the setting way up.

If you want Macbeth, internecine "petty kingdom wars", and Viking invasions, stay where you are.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; March 13, 2014 at 07:35 PM.

Citizen

I am not going for 100% historical accuracy, the game will be giving the church more power than it would normally have had but I would like to clashes between the crown and church over various religious rights and powers. Bishops will be able to choose who they are loyal too, the King or the Church.

yes I do want pagans and christians to clash, I have even created a religious unrest and rebellion system..... its pretty cool but im finding it hard to balance everything

Section Editor ES

I'd pick another setting for Church v.s. Crown.
    It's silly to use Scotland for such a thing. Religion in Celtic nations never really clashes with local monarchies, as long as they're both the same church (Irish Catholics didn't exactly take well to their Protestant overlords).

Pagans v.s. Christians? What?
    All of what is now considered Scotland should be Christian. Even the Norsemen who intermarried and settled with the local Gaels and Picts eventually become Christian within two generations or so..

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Norwegian Pagans pushing from the West to conquer Scotland is a bit less real than "100% historical accuracy".
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to me that, until the coming of Longshanks, any would-be conquerors always came to Scotland (or Wales) and realized it was better to just exact tribute than to actually 'conquer.'
    An example would be Canute (I think it was Canute) simply enforcing "superiority" over the Strathclyde 'kingdom' and then just moving on, never thinking of Scotland again.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; March 13, 2014 at 08:05 PM.

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

The Norwegians from Norway settled in the Isles and West in small, rural settlements and by this time were truly settled down and most likely Christian.
    The Norwegians from Dublin in the 9th century invaded the South-West, but seem to have mostly taken slaves and left.
    The Northumbrians seem to have made genuine attempts to invade, as did the Danes from the South later on, but failed.
    King Edward (the Confessor) invaded and took over parts of Southern Scotland, mostly maybe to protect and add to Northern England.
    Most of the Norman and Angevin kings also had various wars with Scotland.
    Even Edward I's policy was pretty much to put his own man on the throne (as the Scots asked him to decide who should be king in the 1290s), invading properly when the Scots decided they didn't like his decision. Rather than conquest it appears more like the belief that Scotland as a nation should be subordinate to England, quite different to the wholesale invasions and takeover of Wales.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Citizen

It was never my intention to make this a historical RPG, I merely wanted to take history and add a twist...... but if you'd like perhaps you could build a more historical plot/setting for this RPG

Section Editor ES