Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patch 10 beta siege a.i. report

Default Patch 10 beta siege a.i. report

Hey guys, just played a custom battle as a defender in a walled city. I gave the a.i. a full 20 stacks, 4 ladders, 4 siege towers and 2 rams. This is how it went:

So first the enemy army splits itself into two and attacks the city from 2 sides. However it cleverly decides to use all of the siege equipment on one side. So the battle begins, and the 4 ladders and 4 siege towers are moved up to my walls. The two units manning the battering rams simply sit there. On the other side the other half of the army sits still, whilst 3 units run forward and torch the gate, before running back. Once the gate burns open, the a.i. attempts to send all 6 units through it

On the other side the attackers use the ladders and siege towers to assault the walls, all bar one units, which decides to put the siege tower against the wall and then wanders off towards the two units idly manning the battering rams. They then proceed to stand there with those 2 units, which simply do a little dance with the battering rams, whilst failing to actually use them. Meanwhile the 6 unit bottleneck gets burned to death by oil, before retreating. The 3 units by the rams simple sit there. Even when I sent troops out of the gate, they fail to respond at all.

Wonderful, so 10 patches down the line, and the siege a.i. is still almost completely broken. If anyone has any different results, feel free to post them here.

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Patch 10 beta siege a.i. report

its never ganna be fixed now....that is the ROME 2 siege AI......final.

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

what a marvellous report, I will remain to read changelogs of Patches same as when I read a good fantasy novel.

If this is the Rome 2 siege AI, well, this is not question of personal opinions and points of view, this is a FACT: siege AI is a broken failure.
    It's pointless to discuss.
    Failure, amen.

Thanks for your contribution Granto, really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ano2 View Post
    Maybe some people are so convinced CA can't fix their broken toy, they even lost the will to try it out for themselves

DividingSolid's Avatar Tiro

How the hell does Rome I and Med 2 have better siege AI then this? They actually use siege equipment after it's been deployed.

Wow i was really hoping this would be fixed in this patch how dissapointing;-(

Quote Originally Posted by DividingSolid View Post
    How the hell does Rome I and Med 2 have better siege AI then this? They actually use siege equipment after it's been deployed.

because they never learn from their own previous games.. They act like they don't even exist...

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

yea and with the old engine all units can use the siege equipment to clim up the wall, never seen that in rome2.if you take out the unit using the ladder no other unit seems to be able to use that ladder again. imo that is a seriuos flaw that causes many other problems with the siege AI. and the ing torches ofcource.

so back to roma surrectum then
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

oh iv tried it today {a few times} thats why i now know it will not be fixed ...they cant fix it ...it has been 6 moons of ..erm..trying

Quote Originally Posted by GRANTO View Post
    oh iv tried it today {a few times} thats why i now know it will not be fixed ...they cant fix it ...it has been 6 moons of ..erm..trying
    I made this thread specifically for siege a.i. feedback for the patch 10 beta. If your not going to test it, then stay out of this thread, otherwise I will have to ask admin to start deleting your posts. If you wish to complain about CA, feel free to do it in any of the feedback threads.

I made this thread specifically for siege a.i. feedback for the patch 10 beta. If your not going to test it, then stay out of this thread, otherwise I will have to ask admin to start deleting your posts. If you wish to complain about CA, feel free to do it in any of the feedback threads.
    which part of ' iv tried it today {a few times}' dont you understand?...the AI dropped all its siege gear and used torches {a few times} ..other times it got onto walls and got off them...another time the AI just stood still for 60 minutes ....all from todays findings from patch 10
    Last edited by GRANTO; March 10, 2014 at 01:39 PM.

out of order to granto OP.

i discovered the same things as you OP months back as have many...big deal.

if people want to come in and say they think the siege A.I is fubar they can.

p.s i just did btw.

spiderknight's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by spiderknight View Post
    Okay that's enough now, admin please close this thread, no one wants to provide any feedback and I don't want to see a thread I created degenerate into another and moaning session.

baptistus's Avatar Senator

I made a videoo because some people here need proof
    it is only 1 min
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z86ZQ9cwqh8

Doesn't it need comment ? It is the same patch after patch after patch.

Quote Originally Posted by baptistus View Post
    I made a videoo because some people here need proof
    it is only 1 min
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z86ZQ9cwqh8

Doesn't it need comment ? It is the same patch after patch after patch.
    Just wanted to say thank you for uploading that video, very similar results to what I had (A.I. not using siege rams). Cheers baptistus.

baptistus's Avatar Senator

Just wanted to say thank you for uploading that video, very similar results to what I had (A.I. not using siege rams). Cheers baptistus.
    they don't use siege ram, and infantry units doesn't use ladders/towers which are already in place. And there is a bug on one ladder.

DividingSolid's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by baptistus View Post
    they don't use siege ram, and infantry units doesn't use ladders/towers which are already in place. And there is a bug on one ladder.
    The pathfinding seems to ignore ladders and towers at the walls. That's why everybody goes through the gate which I was hoping this patch would be fixed.

It brings to my attention. When they were creating the warscape engine for empire. Did nobody tell the coder's hey make it so the engine is friendly with melee combat and ancient wall assaulting? All this Rome II ai incompetence. Makes me wanna reinstall Stronghold Crusader. At least the ai used seige engines properly there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast