Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The roman love affair with dogs

antred's Avatar Senator

Default Re: The roman love affair with dogs

Seriously, can any of you name a single battle where war dogs where used en masse (in the actual fighting ... not as guard dogs or for recon purposes)?

antred's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by marceror View Post
    What? Unarmored soldiers are exactly what they excel against!
    Which is exactly what he said.

LawL_LawL's Avatar Ducenarius

Regarding the way factions recruit units and build the Auxiliary/Light tree of the barracks chain first, I'd suggest Better AI Recruitment submod for fixing this. It changes the order in which the Light/Heavy or Legionnary/Auxiliary barracks are unlocked which makes the AI not drive itself into a corner with build pathing.

Quote Originally Posted by antred View Post
    Shouldn't that unit be removed from the game anyway? Is there any historical evidence that whole units of dogs were ever used in battle?
    There is no record from a reliable source of large units of dogs being used in war, not by any ancient people. Dogs were used in war, but they would be the individual dogs or a small pack of a particular warrior or soldier. and they would fight near their human master. Their main function was to serve as watchdogs, and help in scouting. Dogs do not function in large groups, they function in packs, and they need a pack leader, and will fight for that position.

Since this mod is based on history, I would prefer that the dog units be removed.

But I am not complaining, this mod makes a horrible mess of a game great!

I am going to be updating DeI soon with Litharion's changes and it sounds like it would be a good idea to include the easier path to the main barracks (so that aux barracks are not built early).

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
    But I am not complaining, this mod makes a horrible mess of a game great!
    Wow, that has got to be the worst insult I've seen about DeI. Somehow I think you probably meant to say the opposite "This mod makes a great game of a horrible mess"?

Wow, that has got to be the worst insult I've seen about DeI. Somehow I think you probably meant to say the opposite "This mod makes a great game of a horrible mess"?
    Both phrases mean the same thing and both are positive about DeI.

antred's Avatar Senator

Dude, do you have a reading comprehension problem? This is 2nd time you seem to have trouble understanding what people are saying.

This mod (DeI) makes a horrible mess of a game (the vanilla version) great.

Geddit?

Quote Originally Posted by GixTheMage View Post
    Both phrases mean the same thing and both are positive about DeI.
    Not on the part of the planet I live on. Those mean exactly the opposite. If you say "this mod makes a horrible mess of a great game" you are saying that the horrible mess is MADE by the mod. Read it carefully. Either English isn't your native language, or you need to sober up.

Quote Originally Posted by antred View Post
    Dude, do you have a reading comprehension problem? This is 2nd time you seem to have trouble understanding what people are saying.

This mod (DeI) makes a horrible mess of a game (the vanilla version) great.

Geddit?
    I am not having a comprehension problem here. My English comprehension skills are actually rather strong. And where would the other comprehension problem have been? I don't seem to recall anything like that.

antred's Avatar Senator

Not on the part of the planet I live on. Those mean exactly the opposite. If you say "this mod makes a horrible mess of a great game" you are saying that the horrible mess is MADE by the mod. Read it carefully. Either English isn't your native language, or you need to sober up.
    LOL, oh the irony. FFS, please go back and re-read the post you criticized word for word, SLOWLY. He did not say "this mod makes a horrible mess of a great game", he said the exact opposite: "This mod makes a horrible mess of a game great."

Original state: a horrible mess of a game
    What this mod makes it: great

How are you not getting this?

Pal, knowing English used to be my job. Bow down to my knowledge.

To mean what you think it means it would have to be "this mod makes a horrible mess of a great game!"

Haha, I see it now. Did I mention that I turn dyslexic when I only get 2 hours sleep? I'm big enough to admit it.

Still, I would like to know where the other issue you mention was.

EDIT - My post was in response to Antred, not the individual who posted directly after. Clarifying this as I had asked a question of him in that post.
    Last edited by marceror; March 09, 2014 at 05:05 PM.

antred's Avatar Senator

Hehe. Post #22 in this thread.

P.S. Sorry about my overly confrontational tone. I'm running on a sleep deficit myself ... that tends to make me a little grumpy.
    Last edited by antred; March 09, 2014 at 05:06 PM.

He is probably reffering to my post about war dogs being hell on paws against unarmored units.

Quote Originally Posted by Master.Mind View Post
    unless you have mostly unarmored units then they are hell on wheels ... er I mean paws
    Okay, so I would say IF you have mostly unarmored they are hell on wheels to say what you are trying to say.

Another way to say what you said is "They are hell on wheels UNLESS you have mostly unarmored units." Implying that they are not hell on wheels against unarmored units. I'm not being dyslexic this time.

antred's Avatar Senator

I love how this is turning into the grammar debating club.

unless you have mostly unarmored units then they are hell on wheels ... er I mean paws
    To me this is semantically equivalent to:

[...] unless you have mostly unarmored units. In that case they are hell on wheels ... er I mean paws.

Or in other words, if you run into a pack of wardogs with mostly unarmored units, they (the dogs) are going to make life very difficult for you.

The poster before me said that "they aren't that strong ..."

unless you have mostly unarmored units then they are hell on wheels ... er I mean paws.

Does it make more sense to you now?

BACK TO TOPIC!
    I observe this problem aswell.
    Since they WERE used in rare occasions im fine with not removing them, BUT they should be limited to 1 unit so you only fight it in rare occasions aswell.

Yeah, taken in that context it makes sense. On its own, it has a different meaning.

I'm glad we were able to unwrap the English language here today.

Now I guess we should get back to the mod.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast