Thread: Characters, The Ages of

Viva Espana!'s Avatar Semisalis

Default Characters, The Ages of

So, I've just gotten back into TATW and I've noticed something that never bothered me before (and really isn't a huge issue to begin with) the problem with characters aging. Given the sheer number of immortals and semi-immortals that inhabit Middle Earth, I understood making the likes of Aragorn and Gandalf and Elrond and Dain young, spritely chaps in their thirties and twenties. It allowed you quite a while with these legendary commanders before they died of old age, like Medieval generals are won't to do. But they don't. You've added a script that makes everyone immortal! Everyone. Immortal.

While I appreciated this, because it allowed for Aragorn and Gandalf to be their long-lived selves in my Eriador campaign, when I began seeing ninety-nine year-old Theoden, Faction-Heir of Rohan, I got a bit puzzled and slightly annoyed. Given how good the AI is at preserving their generals in all of their autoresolve fights, I realized it would be unlikely that Thengel, King Bard, or the Eastern Kings (mortals all) to ever die. So, I have two questions regarding this unimportant quibble.

Given that there is a script to keep generals from dying of old age or accumulating all of the old-person traits, why not start Elrond, Gandalf, Aragorn, etc. at their actual ages?

Secondly, is there any way to implement the Old Age death and Old Age traits for the mortal, man races like Rohan, Dale, Rhun, and Harad?
    "To admit defeat, is to commit a heresy against the Emperor." - Imperial Proverb.
    "Well... that was unexpected." - Last words of Chaos Lord Ulakar the Undefeatable.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Characters, The Ages of

1) As a compromise, since different age for when character tend to die can not be set different for different factions, the generals will die by around age 120 in TATW. That is not scripting, that is a setting.

2) If you actually have imortal heroes that respawns in your game you apperently play a submod, so ask your question there; this is the main TATW page

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    1) As a compromise, since different age for when character tend to die can not be set different for different factions, the generals will die by around age 120 in TATW. That is not scripting, that is a setting.

2) If you actually have imortal heroes that respawns in your game you apperently play a submod, so ask your question there; this is the main TATW page
    Oh, I've never played long enough to have a character become 120. My Eriador/Arnor campaign finished with Aragorn past 100.

Is there any way to kill off other faction-leaders with a console code? I'd just like to see Theoden actually become king, I suppose.
    "To admit defeat, is to commit a heresy against the Emperor." - Imperial Proverb.
    "Well... that was unexpected." - Last words of Chaos Lord Ulakar the Undefeatable.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

When I want to kill a character I just send him alone into battle, and let him get showered in arrows, alternatively let him walk into the enemy. Make sure not to let the unit rout before the general is dead though
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    When I want to kill a character I just send him alone into battle, and let him get showered in arrows, alternatively let him walk into the enemy. Make sure not to let the unit rout before the general is dead though
    Alternatively, put all your unwanted generals into one army and send them on a suicide mission. If they die, win, however if they manage to capture a settlement also win! Keep doing this until they're all dead

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Oh, I know. I mean other factions. I'd like to see Thengel die and Theoden become King, for example.