Thread: area of recruitment

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Default area of recruitment

Hey,

I don't have much experience with modifications, though I would like to change a couple of things in the game and I was wondering how is the legions & auxiliaries area of recruitment encoded in the game? I went through the whole data folder in search for it, but to no avail. Unless I missed something...

To be more specific, I would like to introduce some minor changes as to where, i.e. in which provinces, legions and auxiliary units can or cannot be recruited.

Any help much appreciated!

Default Re: area of recruitment

ohhh... perhaps I should mention, I am playing RSII 2.1a Five Good Emperors

you are going to have to decipher the hidden resources in the descr_regions.txt file in the data/world/maps/base folder. every selttlement and/or region has specific hidden resources tied to it, your gonna have to figure out what a particular settlement or regions hidden resources are then add them to the end of the recruitment line of whatever unit you want recruitable there heres an example

recruit "allied republic legion" 0 requires factions { romans_brutii, } and not marian_reforms and not hidden_resource area6 and not hidden_resource area4 and not hidden_resource area10

if you took away the hidden resources the unit would be recruitabe anywhere the building was available, as it is its recruitable everywhere except area 6, area 4, and area 10 before the reforms, but will not be available after the reforms, if you removed all the "not" 's from that line they would "only" be recruitabe in those areas. You can find out what settlements are in those areas by looking in the descr_regions.txt file, all the settlements that are in area 6, for instance, will have "area 6" in their resource line.
    What your trying to do is somewhat tricky, but once you figure it out it gets easier. I hope I covered everything, if not the are some tutorials on this stuff it the tutorial section. Be careful not to have too many units available for recruitment in one settlement it can cause crashes I think the limit is 30 or 32 ( i forget). Good luck.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Thanks a lot!

As you said, that looks a bit tricky at the first sight...

So... in descr_regions.txt file I can easily find information on which area a settlement is in, however how am I supposed to know which units correspond with that area?

Even though some area entries are identical for some regions the scope of recruitable units is not.

Let's take two settlements as an example; Arretium and Patavium

Their lines in descr_regions.txt file look as follows

Etruria Arretium
    romans_brutii
    Etruscans
    157 198 13
    olive_oil, gold, silver, pigs, iron, marble, naval, area5, r11, limes, no_way, river_port
    Venetia Patavium
    boii
    Veneti
    13 198 117
    italy, glass, textiles, dogs, naval, area5, r5, bar, river_port, limes, no_way, precious_import, weapons_import
    It indicates that both settlements are in the area5, though the range of units that can be levied in these settlements is slightly different.

With reference to the numbered legions in Arretium there are legio I, X, XIII, XIV, in Patavium all these legions except from the I

The scope of auxiliary units is exactly the same in both settlements.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Every region in RS2 has two hidden resources that 'pinpoint' it.....and 'area' hidden resource, and an 'r(number)' resource. So a region that has 'area6, r2' will be different from all other regions, and points ONLY to that specific region.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I think I figured it out now. First you need to find out which area the settlement falls into and alternatively which number within this area it consits- that implies that you may either introduce changes to the whole area, or only to some chosen regions within.

The changes themselves, though, need to be made in the export_desc_buildings.txt in accordance with the guidelines outlined above by "the man, the myth, the legend"

I have already tested it and it works, so I assume I am going the right direction. I am just wondering, though, are there any implications of doing this that I may be unaware of? The limit of recruitable units has already been mentioned above, but is there anything else? Especially if I do it mid-game?

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

No. There should be no problem unless you 'remove' a unit from recruitment in a region, and are actually recruiting it in a saved game.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Cheers!