Thread: Super early first glance

Mhantra's Avatar Civis

Default Super early first glance

I wanted to open discussion about how this is playing, so figured I would post just a quick thought on my first, and singe battle. I had 20 minutes before work to start as Rome and then go take out the Boii settlement to the NE of Rome.

So I spent a turn building three Hatati, then immediately attacked the settlement. I noticed that their garrison was still building up, so they were weak sauce. This makes quick attacks on neighboring settlements a strong tactic at the beginning of a game.

The battle was interesting and felt quite different to not only vanilla, but my beloved DEI. I took a basic tactic oif splitting my guys into two groups of hastati/skirmishers, and sent my general (cavalry) to press the flank, either by making them guard it with their melee or charge their skirmishers if they don't have melee there (just so you know, they initally had their general there to protect their skirmishers until my second unit of hastati/skirmishers pressed their flank, where they made the choice to to support that flank...good choice, though they were scrogged when they had to make that choice).

The interesting thing was that when my melee engaged on the main engagement polint, it really did take a long time to start to wear down one another. I had plenty of time to delay my flanking attack, awaiting fatigue, and also to move around.

I will say this, though: When a unit is finally overwhelmed, it is utterly devastated, and quickly. For example, I sent my 40 cav into their javelinmen, with support of their miniscule 40 slingers (garrison hadn't built up). It took literally 3-4 minutes to wear down their 120 to 80ish, and took the flanking manuver of a unit of hastati to make them break, and break they did! I mean, they almost all died in about 30 seconds flat. It was a very different dynamic.

Oh, and that inital melee engagement was STILL going, as their general chose to reinfoce them, and nobody had boken in that engagement yet. This reminded me of DEI. And when I ran into their backside, again, the whole army wavered and broke in about 30-60 seconds. Rightfully so, though. I had them completely encircled.

Obviously, one battle is not typically what I write a whole post on, but there is no conversation about real world experience of this mod, so I thought I would open up the channel. I am curious to hear others' experiences.

I love E:TW AND Rome II !!

GITSUM!

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Super early first glance

Quote Originally Posted by Mhantra View Post
    I wanted to open discussion about how this is playing, so figured I would post just a quick thought on my first, and singe battle. I had 20 minutes before work to start as Rome and then go take out the Boii settlement to the NE of Rome.

So I spent a turn building three Hatati, then immediately attacked the settlement. I noticed that their garrison was still building up, so they were weak sauce. This makes quick attacks on neighboring settlements a strong tactic at the beginning of a game.

The battle was interesting and felt quite different to not only vanilla, but my beloved DEI. I took a basic tactic oif splitting my guys into two groups of hastati/skirmishers, and sent my general (cavalry) to press the flank, either by making them guard it with their melee or charge their skirmishers if they don't have melee there (just so you know, they initally had their general there to protect their skirmishers until my second unit of hastati/skirmishers pressed their flank, where they made the choice to to support that flank...good choice, though they were scrogged when they had to make that choice).

The interesting thing was that when my melee engaged on the main engagement polint, it really did take a long time to start to wear down one another. I had plenty of time to delay my flanking attack, awaiting fatigue, and also to move around.

I will say this, though: When a unit is finally overwhelmed, it is utterly devastated, and quickly. For example, I sent my 40 cav into their javelinmen, with support of their miniscule 40 slingers (garrison hadn't built up). It took literally 3-4 minutes to wear down their 120 to 80ish, and took the flanking manuver of a unit of hastati to make them break, and break they did! I mean, they almost all died in about 30 seconds flat. It was a very different dynamic.

Oh, and that inital melee engagement was STILL going, as their general chose to reinfoce them, and nobody had boken in that engagement yet. This reminded me of DEI. And when I ran into their backside, again, the whole army wavered and broke in about 30-60 seconds. Rightfully so, though. I had them completely encircled.

Obviously, one battle is not typically what I write a whole post on, but there is no conversation about real world experience of this mod, so I thought I would open up the channel. I am curious to hear others' experiences.
    i will give it a whirl soon......just noticed this mod......iv been to busy complaining on the main thread.

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Mhantra View Post

This sounds very good!!

I like DeI, but the battles are not my kind of fish. Too short, still to arcade in a way.

The perfect mod to me has always been a hybrid of Europa Barbarorum and the battle mechanics of Roma Surrectum 2.

What I've read about CAC so far suggests that the mod seems to go a similar route as EB and the battle you've described above sounds RS2 'ish to me.

Very encouraging!

Hi Bobbyr, and thank you for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post

My main questions regarding v 1.0 are:

- Will historic accuracy be of very high priority in CAC?
    Absolutely. We are trying to be as historically accurate as possible, and not only with the unit appearence and roster composition, but also with poltical assets, cultures, and national and tribal groups behaviour and starting relationships.

- Will battles be longer and more tactical than in DeI?
    I've never played DeI, so I can't give you an accurate answer. What can I say (as a tester), is that Iutland is doing a really good job, in my opinion... battles are quite long (obviously depemding on the fielded forces), and the AI sometimes in really cunning... just yesterday I had a 40+ min battle against a huge enemy army that attacked one of my settlements and they deployed their troops in a very cunning way, trying to avoid flanking by all means and forcing me to try a frontal assault on their right wing to outflank them... and wasn't easy at all.

- Will the Campaign AI and especially the surviving of nations be better than in DeI? (I think it's by far the weakest point of DeI)
    Again I haven't played DeI... I can say again only that Iutland is doing a good job so far, and diplomacy not only have finally a sense but is a great deal.
    Playing as Carthage I was able to pull Boii and Insubres in war against the Romans, to gain some time to settle in mainland and in Spain without the terror of being attacked frontally by Rome... your allies behave in a sentient way, but also the allies of your enemy do the same... and playing Carthage and being attacked in SARDINIA by an army of Venetkens was quite a surprise XD.

What you mean with surviving of nations? As far as I can say, if you subdued a nation but don't pay too much attention to the happyness of the region, obviously they will rebel as the old faction,

Quote Originally Posted by il Pitta View Post
    Playing as Carthage I was able to pull Boii and Insubres in war against the Romans
    Nice! I like the sound of that

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
    This sounds very good!!

I like DeI, but the battles are not my kind of fish. Too short, still to arcade in a way.

The perfect mod to me has always been a hybrid of Europa Barbarorum and the battle mechanics of Roma Surrectum 2.

What I've read about CAC so far suggests that the mod seems to go a similar route as EB and the battle you've described above sounds RS2 'ish to me.

Very encouraging!
    As my team mate and friend wrote we are modifying both the battle aspects and the campaign aspects with realism/historical correctness and playability as our main goals. Personally I haven't tried DeI so I have no reason to compare and I haven't tried a RTW mod for the last 5 years or so.
    To be specific, the battles of CAC should be nowhere like arcade game battles but it should be possible to overcome an opponent (or loose of course) within a 35 minute to 50 minute timeframe during a major battle or siege battle. If you feel they are arcade game type, let us know!

thanks
    iutland

I was able to play a few hours worth of turns earlier today and so far I am loving it. I played on M/M as rome and had a run in with the boii and also the insubres. Battles were a lot of fun, I won my first engagement fairly easily but that quickly changed and I got roughed up pretty bad around milan (mediolanlum sp?).Even losing felt good as I was still able plan a tactical retreat that more or less worked.

Really great work and I applaud the team for having a very stable release at this stage. I plan on following you guys closely as this was the most fun I've had with Rome 2 thus far.