Thread: Mod Incredibly Easy! Can I mod the DIFFICULTY in some way..?

Default Mod Incredibly Easy! Can I mod the DIFFICULTY in some way..?

hey people!

first off thanks a bunchfor the awesome mod! I still struggle with my suspension of disbelief kinda, concerning how the engine doesnt support WW1 warfare (yeah bet youve never ehard THAT criticism before), but given the absolute desolation that is WW1 games, Im still happy you made this.

BUT. as with any TW game that isnt heavily modded to exactly that purpose - its so easy it barely makes any sense playing it. I just started a french campagin with Bdizls minimod, beat two or three pretty crappy german armies (only the five starting 10.5 mm howitzers hit me for some) and steamrolled them within 35 turns, even though I preemptively stopped building troops and infrastructure entirely once I had three full early armies, because I saw the steamroll coming... Italy didnt do much either. its espeacially frustrating since the confrontation between France and Germany was of such epic tug-of-war no-one-seems-to-ever-win nature. no ones supposed to win in two or three minor battles there.

to sum it up - theres no challenge whatsoever. difficutly is maxed of course and I tried with and without the minimod. its so sad, I was happy to have a new Rome last fall, only to put it down after a few campaigns because of this exact reason. then there was a mod, difficile ludum, who made it a LOT more difficult, which was awesome, and then the mod died off, and well... I WANT something like that for TGW!

MP campaigns compensate at least for the traditionally hardcore abusable AI, but theres noone to play TGW with me, and it would probably be pretty boring anyway, since it would turn into artillery standoffs, like, well, world war one did, since it kinda was the smartest thing to do at the time.

so Im asking for advice. is there an existing submod or something that just, I dont know, gives the AI more and better troops? improves battle or campaign AI (of course not, I know..)? or is there an easy way to mod it myself? like, in vanilla one could modify the handicap pack and stuff..?

any idea would be very welcome!

thanks a bunch, have a good time,

constantinople

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: Mod Incredibly Easy! Can I mod the DIFFICULTY in some way..?

Do you have the newest patch installed? 5.1.4? Should be much harder with that.

My mini mod hasnt been updated to 5.1.4 yet though.

I installed both 1.4 first, your mod after that. does that mean I messed something up? at least the starting funds were changed and I think I had more troops too...
    would you say your mod (if working correctly) makes the game more or less difficult?

thanks for the reply!

I replaced the files your minimod added with the ones from 1.4 again... now trench warfare takes only about ten rounds instead of thirty to forty! is that how its supposed to work..?

its no good I tried Russia after I reverted from your minimod and took Lemberg, Warsaw and Königsberg with the stuff Russia starts with, and theres no resistance anywhere to be seen from there til Strasbourg.

its mostly the AI, no surprise there... in the last battle they did something new, and stuck ALL their units on one SPOT, I mean, literally, in a way that their respective flags became one. with four 105 mm batteries firing on them.
    and they never defend, which makes just sitting behind your initial deployable cover win you every battle that youre not MASSIVELY behind in artillery in, since they cant use that properly either...
    the AI cant even attack with their stuff at once. they move so awkwardly they always run only one or two units into your wall of death, have them die and send one or two others.
    they run cavalry straight into the line... - really, now that I think about it, the AI doesnt do ANYTHING even half right. they cant even use basic infantry in a way that doesnt make it completely useless, let alone combined arms.

man this is a disappointing realization no idea how the campaign against ai should become enjoyable when its always like squishing ants. and theres not even a lot of ants.

deleting Bdizls minimod DID actually help things a bit. started France again to have a comparison, and the Germans actually have had five or six full armies with equipment ahead of mine within the fourty turns or so I played now. thats cool. but since the AI always runs head on into trenches anyway, well, their armies are not going to helpt them much I fear.

ps.: the impact of the fact alone, that the enemy, even if he decides to use his artillery in the beginning of a battle, (instead of moving it around stupidly), has to unlimber, which I do not have to do, is incredible. it often means several lost guns for them before they even open up.

man, no responses whatsoever... not even that its IMpossible to mod the battle ai, which wouldve been at least something...

mramazingfuntime's Avatar Civis

I don't think it's really possible to edit the battle AI a lot, and anyway, this is a Total War game... The AI got rather stupid after Medieval 2 (in my opinion). One thing you could do is try to nerf yourself, and don't even try to steamroll other countries. I fared horribly against Germany as France when I did that. It was proper tense.
    But yeah, multiplayer fights would be quite good. Really, the steam page should have more activity. Set battles where one player must attack the other would be pretty cool.

Yeah, the answer is no. Not yet. So if you want a challenge, play someone in multi-player like I.

Play stupidly. That's all I can say. Do what the AI does like not using light infantry doctrine and charging once in a while. I've successfully won some Pyrrhic victories by acting stupidly in battle. It's actually quite fun to be dumb and have to retreat as the enemy brings up reinforcements.