Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Main thread (Windows 10 users should run the mod in windowed mode in order to work!)

Default Main thread (Windows 10 users should run the mod in windowed mode in order to work!)

STARTING

NEEDED ITEMS

INSTALLATION

Disk version of Rome: TW

• Make sure you have a clean install of RTW 1.5.
    • Install EB 1.1 into your RTW directory (when asked to install the additional tasks -Documentation, Recruitment viewer, Trivial script- leave them all checked).
    • Install EB 1.2 patch in the same RTW directory paying attention to the following: when asked to select destination location be sure to remove that helping text inside location box "[First select your RTW where EB 1.1 is then remove this]" and leave only the path to your RTW directory.
    • After clicking "Next" youll be warned that the folder already exists and asked if you want to install to that folder anyway. Choose "Yes".
    • Install in the same RTW directory the rest of the items: EB 1.2 fixes, MP EDU, MP Load Replay Mod.
    • Go to your RTW/EB/Data and delete the "menu" folder and "custom_locations.txt" file.
    • Unzip Custom Locations archive and copy my own versions of these files ("menu folder" and "custom_locations.txt") back into RTW/EB/Data.
    • Open "EB Configuration" (its inside your RTW directory). Choose "Multi Player" from the Game type drop-down menu. "Save" and "Exit". To launch the mod reopen "EB Configuration" and choose to "Play EB" or do it from "EB Multi Player" launcher. For a quick access you should make desktop shortcuts of these.

Steam version of Rome: TW

• Make sure you have a clean install of RTW 1.51.
    • Install EB 1.1 into your Steam RTW directory (when asked to install the additional tasks -Documentation, Recruitment viewer, Trivial script- leave them all checked).
    • Install EB 1.2 patch in the same Steam RTW directory paying attention to the following: when asked to select destination location be sure to remove that helping text inside location box "[First select your RTW where EB 1.1 is then remove this]" and leave only the path to your Steam RTW directory.
    • After clicking "Next" youll be warned that the folder already exists and asked if you want to install to that folder anyway. Choose "Yes".
    • Install in the same Steam RTW directory the EB 1.2 fixes and MP Load Replay Mod.
    • Remove the folders "sp game edu backup" and "mp game edu backup", which are located inside your RTW/EB folder.
    • Install The Extended Trivial Script Options (ExTSO) Mod in the Steam RTW directory.
    • Go to your RTW/EB/Data and delete the "menu" folder and "custom_locations.txt" file.
    • Unzip Custom Locations archive and copy my own versions of these files ("menu folder" and "custom_locations.txt") back into RTW/EB/Data.
    • Open "EB Configuration" (its inside your Steam RTW directory). Choose "EB Online Multi Player" from the Game type drop-down menu. Check "Steam Install" box. "Save" and "Exit". To launch the mod reopen "EB Configuration" and choose to "Play EB". For a quick access you should make a desktop shortcut of it.
    • To enter in the Online lobby you have to click "Check" button one time then "X" button one time otherwise the game will freeze and crash.

* Windows 10 users should run the mod in windowed mode in order to work. You can set this in EB configuration by checking Run windowed box.

FINDING PLAYERS

We play both online on Steam servers and in LAN using Hamachi. Due to Gamespy shutdown LAN option remained the only option for those who have disk version but they will be only able to play with the others with this version. Considering this and the fact that Hamachi doesnt work for everybody we suggest redeeming your steam copy of Rome: TW as well using your retail copy CD key (go to Steam Games Menu and choose to Activate a product on steam) and doing another install of EB into your steam RTW directory. This way you can play with both retail owners and steam owners.

STEAM

You can get in touch with others on our Invite Only EB Multiplayer Steam group. If you want to get an invite pls. ask here. The most convenient way for chat and for setting up battles is by using the group chat room feature. Join the room either from the client or from the group page to clearly show your availability.

HAMACHI

Hamachi is a Virtual private network application that connects the users in a virtual LAN. We already have a 32 slots network due to our patron Brave Sir Robin who is paying an anual subscribtion for it. After install start Hamachi, hit Power button and choose your network name ( you can change it later from System>Preferences). When you are connected, if you have Windows 8, choose Yes when asked if you want to turn on sharing and connect to devices. Join our network with the bellow ID and password (include hyphens):

Network ID: 100-792-846
    Password: eb

Now you should be able to host and join games in Multiplayer LAN lobby. Before you visit the multiplayer LAN Battles lobby, you will want to use the Hamachi network chat or private chat to arrange a battle. When you are done here you should leave the network (right click EB Online> Leave the network) not just going offline. This is important to assure our network doesnt become full. If that happens you cam make your own 5 slots free network and provide the others with its ID and password.

RULES

EB Multiplayer rules are meant to preserve a certain variety in armies deployed,to prevent the unwelcome cases such as spamming of elite units and also to bring a touch of realism and fairplay onto the battlefield.

ARMY COMPOSITION

Budget
    : 36.000 mnai

The only upgrade allowed is one bronze experience (chevron)

SPQR (Rome) must pick one era from which to choose its factional units

Non-factional unit limit of 6 (factional units are listed in this spreadsheet). Exceptions: Marian and Imperial Rome 8, Carthage 14, Sauromatae 10 (maximum 4 Greek and 4 Germanic, excluding Bastarnae Falx Infantry)

You may bring a certain number of a given unit depending on its cost: <1000 no limit, 1000-1850 8, 1850-2500 4, >2500 2. Exceptions: Reidonez (Germanic Light Cavalry) 4, Rauxsa-alanna Baexdzhyntae (Roxolani Riders) 4

FAIRPLAY

No running or charging through units with either infantry or cavalry

• You may charge the enemy through your own units only if the charging unit is infantry.
    • If your cavalry unit is completely surrounded, it may retreat through the enemy.
    • Cavalry may run through loose-form infantry.
    • No moving elephants or chariots through your own men (minor contact is expected as elephants and chariots have a wide front).
    • No moving cavalry through units with phalanx mode enabled.

No flaming arrows

No engaged pike-turning. If your pike unit is engaged with an enemy unit, you may not turn it to face an enemy unit that is approaching your pike unit from its rear or sides. Similarly, if an enemy infantry or cavalry unit is charging at your phalanx’s rear, you cannot turn the pike unit to face the enemy. You may only turn to meet an oncoming enemy at your rear if the enemy has not entered into charging status

No picking up pikes while engaged. If your phalanx mode unit is fighting with its secondary weapon (e.g., axe, sword), you may not re-enable phalanx mode while in the melee. Only when your unit is once again removed from the melee fight may it re-enable phalanx mode

No firing missiles in melee

MAPS

We usually play on maps that can provide fair starting positions for both sides. By editing the custom_locations file Ive moved all the balanced maps at the bottom, (the list starts with EB Ammonion), ordered them alphabetically and linked them with greater quality preview pictures that now are also showing the real terrain conditions.

WATCH US

Among countless battles we have disputed over the years only a small part found their way to the public: Youtube channel. They are only a glimpse of all the sheer fun we use to get when going online with EB. Far from being popular TW youtubers, some of our members thought it would be nice to share their best moments and strategies and to keep these memories safe on the web.

No more than being simply entertaining episodes within the comunity, our intentions should have changed now to a greater visibility on the web. Therefore we are asking everybody willingly and capable enough to put a decent commentary not to hesitate to contact us for providing him with all the help we can for a possible upload. He will be featured on our channel, steam group and here on the forum on our special thread for the newest uploads EB Multiplayer | Youtube commentary battles. If you think that you have a replay worthy to be uploaded pls. leave your request in the same thread.

Last edited by Kranos; March 22, 2016 at 11:16 AM.

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: EB Online | Multiplayer to another level

Here you can watch my playlist of all my battles.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...XmkTPYll2SGRo9

Team Sleep's Avatar Semisalis

That's what I'm talking about. Although I never entered into the tournaments yall used to have...it's always a great delight to see this type of EB interaction and love between the fans. Keep it up and yes...this is a great place to post videos! Also...continue to post regular update required EDU files for "Official" matches. Keep up the good work friends.

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

I'm to very happy for this type of things to happen.
    I always wanted to play EB online but never could, but now i can whenever i like.
    Still its a difficul thing to fight an actual person instead of the AI

I am very glad of this initiative ! It will be fun, and I will join when I can !

This "initiative" was begun about five years ago (2009) over at the Org by myself with the help of veterans whose videos the OP has co-opted in his auxiliary thread of YouTube commentated battles. Our website, from where you obtain the files you need to run the game using the stats balanced by gamegeek2 et al, my load replay mod, and so on, is also linked to in the first post of this thread.

http://www.ebmultiplayer.com/
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumd...Campus-Martius

Enjoy your visit.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Bob Doad's Avatar Primicerius

O and i nom nom nom on rep so yea...click the button...im waiting
    Promoter of:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Hmm, I'd actually be up for this. But need to get used to the EB rosters as they are completely alien from the vanilla ones which I got to know quite well.
    Will have to also get used to the rules.

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

the rules where made for tournaments but we get used to them pretty easily and we practically followed them in usual battles also. Youll see they dont affect the gameplay but on contrary. If you have everything setup come to hamachi to see if you are good to go.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Hello good people of EB multi. Thx for the vids. My curiosity was ignited by Sturm&Drang's post (his alias alone is intriguing enough).

I enjoyed greatly watching those vids & he reminded me what a true tactical simulation should be. It's part of the reason why I reinstalled RTW again.

Please, keep on bringing the light of the true TW spirit to the blind masses !
    Last edited by Yerevan; March 25, 2014 at 01:13 PM.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

Just uploading a battle between me and Orphydian now!
    As always a pretty close one!

you should right the name of the factions u play as

...There's more than one of everything...

Is it you buddy? Kay from hamachi?

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    Is it you buddy? Kay from hamachi?

yes it is me!!!

...There's more than one of everything...

Biarchus
    Blog Entries

The newest battle that i add is a very close one against Orphydian.

I like the idea, but I find that total war games aren't that great when played through multiplayer. I like the idea of a human opponent, sure, but somehow the battles end up being unrealistic--even more so than single-player battles at times. You are playing using the rules of the game. And, since it is a game, there are certain bits of information available to you that make for certain types of battles where one uses the strengths of the game engine in such a way that you don't feel like your units are living, breathing men as much you do in single player.

Im trying to understand the flaw you tried to exhibit here especially in your last phrase. Can you try not be that artistically here! I dont know if this is your point but we have fairplay rules plus army composition rules so it doesnt come only to game engine strenghts. Dont know what other TW games you play online but Im sure yull change your mind if you try EB.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphydian View Post
    Im trying to understand the flaw you tried to exhibit here especially in your last phrase. Can you try not be that artistically here! I dont know if this is your point but we have fairplay rules plus army composition rules so it doesnt come only to game engine strenghts. Dont know what other TW games you play online but Im sure yull change your mind if you try EB.
    I wasn't trying to make it sound confusing or artistic; I just couldn't think of a good way to describe my point. However, I take it back: I watched some of the youtube videos and agree that how you guys play looks realistic and fun. I was wrong about that.

I just think that normal online matches, without the rules you guys use, are just a complete mess. I think there are quite a few rules to memorize which will keep some people away, but it also looks like the ones who do play are dedicated and want to play seriously--which is good, btw.

Hmm, interesting. You may persuade me to reinstall RTW. I would like to play more multiplayer. It's just hard to find the time.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi, I can't download the text file from RCOG which provides the explanations for steam users. The link in RCOG thread leads to a blank page. I just need the multi-player instructions part caus I already successfully installed EB and play the solo campaign.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast