View Poll Results: Who do you think should win?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Entry 1 - A Not-So-Distant Future

The results are hidden 0%
  • Entry 2 - The Canadian Exercise

• Entry 3 - The Death of Archimedes

• Entry 4 - I Hate Humans

• Entry 5 - Alexander

• Entry 6 - The Destruction of the Tea

Thread: Winter 2014 Writing Competition - Short voting thread

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Winter 2014 Writing Competition - Short voting thread

Here are the submissions for the Short category. Please vote for your favorite one.

This competition is based on anonymity so the authors of the entries posted here may not declare which entry is theirs, they may not encourage people to vote for a specific entry and/or give any hints which will ruin their or other competitors' anonymity. The same rules apply to everyone else as well.

Anyone found breaking the above rules shall find out what it feels like to be tickled by an owl for 12 hours straight and suffer other associated misfortunes. I will be using my claws.

Authors may vote for their entry if they so desire. Entries are numbered following the order in which they were received.

This thread is for discussion of the articles at hand and voting. NOTHING ELSE.

A Not-So-Distant Future - 1

A Not-So-Distant Future

An automated female voice chimed in information of the recording about to be played. “Recording from all television stations from 6:00 – 6:04 pm on the 14th of March, Year: 2043 of the Common Era, Length: 3 minutes: 57 seconds, Speaker: Unknown”

I leaned in closer to hear what the shadowed figure had to say once more. And here . . . we . . . go. As soon as your mind registers the darkness of the room the vague black figure in front of the camera begins talking.

“Now that I have your attention, whether through your personal implanted computer chips or old televisions and radios, I would like to sit and have a chat with you all. I imagine we would speak to each other for quite awhile if we could, but time is not on our side. The fact time is not on our side is because your police protectors are trying to find a way in this room and ensure my death as we speak.

“I admit, we are all living in a marvelous world right now. Many problems that were everywhere in the earlier years of the twenty-first century, like unemployment, crime, terror, or war, are now non-existent. But let’s look beyond the world you are living in and instead look at the world everyone is living in. These problems have been eliminated for you, but what is the cost to make this happen? Some of you do not even know the cost, and I will now set that right.

“The cost is this; your silent consent and submission to these laws created for ‘your own protection’. Your Internet history is permanently recorded; both your insurance and our government have your complete DNA readout and medical records to scrutinize, ready to gift money for their arbitrary approval of your human worth. Your ability to go outside after twilight without suspicion from the police can no longer happen, and any sort of competition against massive government corporations doesn’t exist. But most important of all . . . your freedom to think, and to protest, against any of these injustices has been permanently revoked. There are some to blame more than others, but as honest people you will all find the guilty when you look at a mirror.

“I know you all wanted a way out of mankind’s numerous problems. You were scared of losing your job, scared of our political enemies, scared of harm and death, like everyone else. I was just like that as well. But after a moment of looking around me, I now fear nobody wanting to change what has happened to us for the last twenty-five years. I haven’t seen anyone say they wanted to have their rights given back to them, and this is from being scared as well. As Franklin D. Roosevelt once said, 'the only thing we have to fear is fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts'.

“But I intend to change all this. So if the crimes of our government remain unknown to you, or you would rather keep them unknown to you by turning the blind eye in silent submission for them; then let this First of November go uneventful to you.

“But if you want a change, an opportunity, a new life where you have the freedom to excel in what you wish to instead of what you are ordered to, then join with me. On All Saints’ Day we shall all meet at the National Headquarters of Domestic Administration and protest against these crimes against the people of this glorious nation. Together, we can make the First of November a day that will be kept in everyone’s memory. Together we can create newfound hope in mankind’s potential for freedom, justice, and greatness! Together, in our similar minds and in our similar determination, man can rise up like after a Lazarus syndrome and we can revolutionize this good Earth’s people for the better!”

The Canadian Exercise - 2
    The Canadian Exercise
    The Canadian Exercise.

HE L32 QUICK CHARGE SUPER, LOAD!!! AT MY COMMAND, BEARING, 233 MILS, ELEVATION, 120 MILS, 4 ROUNDS FIRE FOR EFFECT!
    READY!!!!

B.A.T.U.S. (British Army Training Unit Suffield) Canada,October MEDMAN 7, the bloody coldest time you can wish for a live fire exercise in Canada, snow on the prairie exercise area, 10 degrees below,with windchill factor 40 below! I hate it out here, a bleak barren land where trees are marked on the map, as they are like hens teeth out here! (rare)

Its that cold your piss freezes before it hits the ground, where if you touch your vehicle or weapon bare metal without gloves, your hand sticks to the metal and your burnt.
    The only signs of life on the prairie is the prairie grass and the occasional gopher that always seems to pop up, when you go quarter a mile away, spade and bog roll at hand, so that nobody sees you having a shite! annoying little buggers,gophers they are.
    I have never been so blooming cold in all my life.
    Frost bite, always a concern,powder your feet and change your socks once a day if you can, but we have 2 weeks of this crap. so every other day is the order of the day, wear one dry one,on the louvers of the vehicle is just above the massive Rolls Royce/Vickers engine.

Sgt Britton, commander of a 6 man crew on an Vickers Abbot FV433 105mm Self Propelled Gun, C Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.
    It could have easily been a chieftain tank, the Recruiter at South Shields Army careers showed me a picture of a Chieftain and a picture of an Abbot, explained, they are virtually the same lad!

A Loud Bang! then darkness...............

My eyes begin to flicker open, the light hurts, my eyes hurt, I cant remember where I am or anything that happened? then I feel the cold...I shout out, "I'M FRICKIN FREEZING" as loud as I can,I try to sit up, aaah! excruciating pain!!!, I can feel sensations in my legs but cant move them, the pain unbearable, then darkness.....

I don't know how long I was out for...I wake, my eyes become accustomed to the light, and numbers and letters begin to appear before my eyes.... Sgt A. Britton. Queen Elizabeth Military Hospital,November 15 1986? written on a blackboard beside my bed!
    A voice, like an angel, your back with us Sgt! don't be alarmed... and don't try to sit up! your vehicle was mortared on patrol in Crossmaglen Northern Ireland and you have sustained injuries to both your legs, and lower spine, your spleen was ruptured,and your skull fractured.

Jeeezus!... Mum wheres my mum?

I wish I was in Canada!

Last edited by Sir Adrian; March 04, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Default Re: Winter 2014 Writing Competition - Short voting thread

The Death of Archimedes - 3

The Death of Archimedes

The Death of Archimedes

Source: sciencebuddies.org/

A rider hastily rode up the winding cobblestone roads of the inner city of Syracuse. Citizens were in a panic, gathering what personal possessions they could and fleeing in all directions, feeling as though the lions had breached the immovable barrier, and now enduring an open feast of the helpless sheep.

The culmination of two years of fighting, levelled from side to side, was now at its penultimate moment.

The rider arrived at the lavish manse of a particularly important individual, as he dismounted, followed in suit by some more men on horse, who arrived, as the leader climbed the steps of the manse, towards the open gatehouse, it was unguarded.

The first of the arriving riders steered his horse to a halt, awaiting orders. “Captain?”

“Hold the entrance and allow none to enter. This will hopefully not take long,” said the captain to his arriving troops.

Inside the manse, the captain passed through the gatehouse into the immaculately kept courtyard, adorned with an impressive array of gardens, designed in a particularly odd manner.

The captain passed by a collection of slaves, who bowed as the official walked past them, he having paid little attention to them, as he was on a dire mission.

Again, opened, the captain passed through the doors of the entrance to the manse, as he speedily continued on down the main hall, the dirt-stuffed treads of his sandals making a click sound on the perfectly well-kept marble floors, a signification of the importance of the owner and his local standing.

Busts of nameless Greeks adorned the many pedestals that lined the hall, for the door ahead was the only one closed, and the captain knew where he must go.

Opening the door, slowly, the captain proceeded in, where maps were strewn about the walls, in a magnificent, but complex mosaic, which only the prolific mind of an intelligible polymath could understand the order in which it could be read. Mathematical equations, complex theories, and drawings far beyond the comprehension of a common man—including the average military official.

A single man, old and greyed, in simple garb had his back to the door, not even paying attention to the arriving man, continuing to overview an immense black slate tablet before him, with an odd image drawn, of what appeared to be a concave figure of some type, or so the arriving soldier could only make it out to be just that.

“Archimedes, old friend,” said the captain, “the Romans have breached the inner citadel. They are rampaging through the streets and my forces will not hold them off for long, for I cannot ensure a time before arrival. What I can assure you is that they surely come with a vendetta against all in the city.”

Archimedes straightened up from his obscure posture, no longer looking to his equations below. “If only we had the resources for a larger conclave mirror to direct the heat, in a more focused manner, we would have fended off more of the ships, possibly preventing the now-inevitably clear breach that was to finally come,” he said, unresponsive to the invading force that was coming.

“Please, old friend, I implore you. You must come with me, immediately. I will ensure your safety until negotiations can be met with the Roman high command. It will ensure your survival. The average soldier will not show mercy, and so we must ensure your longevity until we can secure a rite of protection,” said the captain, worriedly.

“You are great commander, Straton. Perhaps it should have been you in place of General Nicomedes, as you surely would not have make similar mistakes,” said the old polymath, as he placed his hand on Straton’s shoulder.

“My mission now is your survival, old friend. It is essential to our people. Cast as many tyrants down as they must, but to lose the true mind of this city would be the devastating collapse of our people.”

“I will not go, Straton. I cannot go,”
    replied Archimedes, clasping his hands behind his back.

“Captain!” shouted a voice from inside the manse, but down the hall.

Straton turned, looking outward. “Stay here, old friend. Seal the door.”

Straton left through the open door, but it did not shut behind him. Archimedes only continued overviewing his work, undeterred and unusually calm.

Through the front door, a speared soldier stumbled down, collapsing on the floor, bloodied and lifeless.

Two Roman soldiers entered, one being met spear to shield by a Syracusani soldier, as Straton charged, drawing his kopis to meet the gladius drawn by the other Roman soldier, connecting, but forcibly pushing it down and away, returning his blade up across the soldier’s throat, then moving to the next, who speared the last of Straton’s men down, he jabbed his kopis through the Roman’s exposed neck, drawing it back just as quickly, charging the door, but being struck in the chest by a thrown spear, falling to his knees, he thrusted his kopis into the closest Roman, forcing the man to fall, as he fell atop him, receiving a gladius through his back, and then another, as a Roman soldier moved past him.

Slamming a slightly closed door open, the first Roman soldier, spear drawn, approached Archimedes.

“Do not disturb my circles,” he said, as the Roman drove his spear into his stomach, forcing him down to the floor.

I Hate Humans - 4

I Hate Humans

I Hate Humans

I hate humans. And it’s not because they smell funny. Rather, they are dumb. They are dumb but don’t know it. That’s what makes it worse.

I’m not human.

Once I heard of a fellow—I believe he was called John—who ate breakfast every morning. Pathetic. It wasn’t the fact that he was eating breakfast, though. The bastard didn’t eat eggs, nor bacon. When he went to work in his cookie-cutter cubicle, he always told his office mates to eat healthy. One day he even brought a brochure. It was about the evils of the meat industry, a post-modern Upton Sinclair, I reckon. And when the war came, he ordered a 17" by 25" polyester flag on ebay. It came with free shipping. I suppose he preferred human meat. What an idiot.

But holy crap, I should also talk about Mary. She once got an internship in Washington. At night, besides reading trashy sex novels on her kindle, she fired up google chrome on her $1,200 mac and blogged about freedom. That was her favorite topic, I think, although secretly she wanted to author her own erotic book. Blog titles typically read: “Press Freedom Bla Bla Bla”, “Putin Bla Bla Bla”, “Republicans Bla Bla Bla”, “Democrats Bla Bla Bla”, “The Founding Fathers Bla Bla Bla”, etc., etc. It’s quite boring, I must admit. Yet for some unknown reason, it excited her. Then she got raped by her boss. She killed herself.

Eric is an atheist. He always talks about science this and science that. I’m not sure what he really means by science. Apparently, it’s something that exists in humans’ heads that makes things real. This, I actually find fascinating. A long time ago he read that dyslexia needs to be identified in children as early as possible, lest they fall behind in their education. Kids thus identified performed better after receiving special help. The other day he read another article, according to which dyslexia does not actually exist.

Then there is poor David. He is in prison. Other humans call him “black”. A few years ago, he was caught inhaling the incomplete combustion of some greenish-looking plant. Then again. And again. Eventually he relieved a gas station of its money. They say he is a criminal. The prison authorities do. He has a number and his own counselor. The counselor also calls him a criminal. David also knows he is a criminal. I have yet to figure out the purpose of human prisons.

I find Lisa the funniest. She believes in an entity that created her and her fellow humans. Eric and her often debate on an internet forum. They both think they know the truth and try to convince the other of the same. But it never seems to work. They are so stupid.

Can you see now why I hate humans? They have incredible spiritual powers, but seem to be unable to wield them properly. Like the sorcerer who has fallen prey to his own spell, humans create only to enslave themselves. However, they don’t realize it, gazing at their spells in awe while thinking themselves intelligent. They have given rise to a world that is not their own, a world which I have difficulty understanding. This world, nevertheless, understands them perfectly. This world of theirs, by means of guile and trickery, also gave them history. They have yet to grasp this. Meanwhile, the world spirit moves on.

So let me conclude: I hate humans.

Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Alexander - 5
    Alexander

From a young man an empire rose,
    Through warfare, fire and fear,
    The young man conquered mighty Persia,
    And seized all Darius held dear.

He was the son of Zeus, the offspring of the divine
    He was destined for greatness
    His deeds would be told far and wide,
    His skill and bravery would be forever famous.

Before Phillip’s corpse was cold,
    The young king was crowned, just a man of twenty.
    His reign was young and the rebels rose quickly,
    Athens, Thessaly and the Thracians stood no match to his army of plenty.

He made known his invasion with just a spear,
    For the Gods had blessed his conquest spree.
    There was no end in sight to his military campaigns.
    As eager to rule and even more eager for battle was he.

For over ten years he fought,
    And saw the old empire crumble.
    And battle after battle,
    A new empire rose from the rubble.

From his warlike reign,
    An empire spanned from the Indus to Greece.
    The Hellenic culture spread,
    Under the incursions of his armies.

The glory of Macedon was at its greatest extent,
    It was an empire to truly take all land.
    When suddenly, the great king was dead,
    And it all came to an end.

The empire collapsed as the Diadochi staked their claims.
    And with the emperor’s passing began a new age.
    Ptolemy, Seleucus and Lysimachus could not take power.
    For 40 years their wars were waged.

But no man was his equal,
    No man could keep great Macedon together.
    No man could have accomplished what he did,
    And no man could have done better.

Alexander, King of Macedon he was
    The Young King on his eternal throne
    His life ended far too early,
    Before his greatness could be known.

The Destruction of the Tea - 6
    The Destruction of the Tea

One-hundred Mohawks charge aboard.
    They tear up each and every floor board.
    Pouring out the wretched weed,
    angering the king’s greed,
    they declare to the world their disgust
    with tyranny by those who come of dust

Their mission is simple, to announce to the world
    that the revolutionary flag shall be unfurled.
    But it ignites something totally new,
    something that England would rue.
    Unite the Colonists it did,
    for freedom can by no man be hid.

Soon ten more colonies also protest
    the government they detest.
    Across the colonies, men stand together,
    a union which would hold to weather.
    For the first time, Americans are thus;
    from squabbling colonies to united states, in God they put their trust.
    And they later form the nation that would be
    the last defense of liberty.

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

Voted.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

Voted
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

pacifism's Avatar see the day
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Alea iacta est. I have voted.

Good submissions all around!
    Read the latest TWC Content and check out the Wiki!
    ---
    Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement

Voted!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

voted, some nice entries here
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader