Thread: With Gods As Our Guides [Shimanzu AAR]

Default With Gods As Our Guides [Shimanzu AAR]

Hello! This is my first attempt at an AAR, and I thank you for reading. Constructive criticism would be helpful, and I hope to give you a good story.

This AAR will be a tale of shifting perspectives, dealing with various themes and less with glorious conquests. I hope that my ambition doesn't result in a disaster, but we shall see. With that out of the way, let us begin.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Tanegashima Tomokata had always been a personal favorite of the Daimyo. Tanegashima had been orphaned at the age of eight by the seemingly eternal war with the cursed Ito. A raid by the Ito upon his village had become a massacre as Ito commanders lost control of bloodthirsty soldeirs seeking to avenge their own Daimyo being killed recently, and the soldiers went on to slaughter the entire village and burn it to the ground. They let not one man, woman or child survive the onslaught, and when soldiers of the Shimanzu arrived they looked upon an endless lake of innocent blood. The soldiers of the Shimanzu cursed the Ito, and buried many Shimanzu brothers that day. Even those who looked down upon the farmers were moved heavily by the sight, and the search for survivors was a sorrowful one indeed.

At least, it was until, hidden in the crevice of an unburned building, with a dead Ito soldier some twenty feet in front of him, there lay a sobbing boy.

The boy was taken back to the capital city of the Shimanzu by the soldiers, and as the sole witness of the events, was asked by the King what had happened. This boy, Tanegashima, had been playing with his friends on the far part of town from the attacks. Upon hearing the screaming, the shouting of an attack, and seeing the smoke rising from the buildings being burned, he and his friends had gone into a nearby Butcher's shop. His friends then ran to fight the invaders, while Tanegashima had ran to his home, hoping to help his father fight the invaders off. However, halfway there, he had found himself cut off by the invaders. A single soldier chased him into a building, a shop that sold various trinkets, a place oft visited by the young boy. Here, he made his stand. Hiding behind a shelf, he waited until the soldier had passed, then came up behind him and, using all his force, plunged the butcher's knife into the soldier's back.

Following this, he finished off the soldier, and hid in this crevice which he knew from his many visits, and waited. He heard shouting and screaming, and sobbed quietly to himself until finally he was found. The boy had been crying throughout his story, and, greatly moved, the Daimyo had decided to put him in his military and watch his progress...and eventually make him a general.

Now that reality had been fulfilled. Tanegashima sought to prove his worth. He also had two greater, deeper reasons for his attempted bravado.

Firstly, since the raid, he had hated the Ito. He had vowed to kill all he could, to burn their cities, to pay them back for what they had done. This burning hatred had only grown in the times he had grown, as he heard constant reports of raids and battles by these demons who he could not think to call human beings. He wanted the personal apology of their Daimyo as his eyes were gouged out, he wanted him and his people to feel the emptiness inside that he had experienced for so long.

But he had another reason too. While the Daimyo had loved him as his own, and had taken great care that he should develop, he had never once called him his son. The Daimyo had never discussed adopting him officially, and Tanegashima had never brought it up directly, feeling as though he was not yet worthy.

This war was Tanegashima's chance to prove himself worthy of being the son of the man who led his nation. He took all the forces in Shimanzu available, and marched towards the nearest stronghold of the Ito. He did not concern himself with the cheering peasants along the way inside of his territory, instead focusing on what was ahead. They entered Ito territory, and found empty villages all along the way. They had been evacuated. After seemingly endless marching through these dreary scenes, they finally took up siege upon the city. But the Ito, itching for a fight themselves, offered him battle on the plains outside.

Tanegashima deployed his troops in a basic formation, doing what he had been taught all his years, adhering to accepted military tactics. The many troops under his command were, once arrayed, made to march forward quickly toward a hill which dominated the battlefield. Tanegashima ordered a quick attack upon the troops of the enemy, already on the hill, whilst his own archers would target those on the hill from below. While the infantry force was busy however, Tanegashima saw a light cavalry unit dispatched treacherously to flank his own army.

Here, his zeal and hatred overtook him. Seeing no other option that could satisfy his honor, he ordered his personal bodyguards, soldiers of the highest caliber, to charge. Battle was met, swords were drawn, and the two sides sent to butchering each other while the infantry, now without a commander to personally order them, went on chasing enemy routers. The enemy cavalry, after putting up a short fight, routed, and were killed to the man as they tried to spur their horses away from the vengeful leader of the Shimanzu.

When he had finished the horsemen, the last of them killed personally by his sword, Tanegashima returned to his soldiers cheering, for they had victory.

Tanegashima hosted a short party, followed with an order to storm the city. However, they hoisted white flags, and allowed the troops in without resistance from their walls.

Tanegashima, however, initially planned to destroy the city anyways. He had a burning hatred for all things Ito, and wishes to see them perish as his family and friends once had. He had arranged that his personal trumpeter give a signal, and at that moment, the soldiers would loot the town, taking what they could whether it be goods, women, or lives. The men marched into the square, symbolically hoisted the Shimanzu flag, and prepared to give his men the signal to do what they please.

But then, he saw a sight which sparked something inside of him. He saw a young boy, scared of the change, holding onto his father's leg while the father stared with contempt towards the conquering general. And in the small child, whose eyes were wide with fear, he saw himself as a younger boy. And he told the trumpeter to lay down his trumpet, and to not give the signal which Tanegashima now himself dreaded as the ultimate instrument of evil.

Default Re: With Gods As Our Guides [Shimanzu AAR]

Excerpt from the journal of Mamoru.

[Warning: Vernacular]
    we left the osumi province today. sum of us wanted to stay in the baracks in osumi but the comander made us go. we new winter was cuming soon and so we didnt want to go becus it wood be cold and there woodnt be food but i gues we wil have to deel with it. oh well.

we have been out of the province for 3 weeks now. i have been practicing writing and so i have gotten better but im still not to good. i will try to practis more so i can rite better. i am getting help from a guy i met. he is my best frend in the army. his name is takeshi. i call him tak. so does everyone else.

the food shortages are really bad. i dont know why they are making us wait out here. its been 2 weeks since the last time i wrote. we have been marching minimally toward the enemy. i dont know why we couldnt wait for a few weeks. but i guess we couldnt. its very cold and im very hungry. we all are. 2 people from another ashigaru company died yesterday. i dont know wen the first people from our company will die. i think it will be soon. the samurai are getting more food and better tents so they might not die. i dont know how fair it all is but its not my place to question it. i am learning how to write though so maybe one day i can write a book about my time here that will be better written. anyway it is time to go and march so goodbye.

The winter is getting very bad now. We have stopped marching because we are just getting snowed in. Tak is teaching me capital letters so i can write better. Next he said he would teach me commas and apostrophes. Hes been a huge help but i think the winter is taking its toll on him. I have been loaning him my blankets and such lately so he wouldnt die. i have made other friends but none as good as tak. I asked our company leader what we could do to help tak and he said that if we wanted to we could talk to the samurai. We asked them what we could do and they told us we had to wait it out. I dont want to wait it out. 2 people from our company have died. But i didnt know them so i cant speak for them. All i know is that i dont get why the samurai get so much more food and blankets than us. Its terrible to go through cold and hunger but also terrible to see your friends go through them. Tak is coughing so i am going to help him. Goodbye.

Tak taught me apostrophes. I don't know how much longer he will last. I asked him if he thought he'd die and he said yes he thought he'd die. That made me sad and i sat and cried with him for a while and asked him about his life. He has a wife. She's a young girl named akira. He said she's beautiful and he wants to see her before he died. He said if he couldn't he wanted me to tell her that she was the most beautiful flower in the most colorful garden in all of heaven. I cried and told him i thought it was beautiful and he said he thought so too. Then he told me that one day i'd get a beautiful wife and i'd tell her that too and that i'd mean it just as much as him and it'd be just as true as when he said it to his wife. Then he started teaching me to use commas but i haven't learned them yet and also he asked me my life story but i won't tell it because i already told you earlier in this journal. Goodbye.

2 more people in our company died last night one of them was tak and now i cant help my writing im just crying to much im sorry tak goodbye.

I decided that i'd desert the military. It's just too sad. Too many friends have died from the cold and hunger. Instead i am going to go help other people who are needing help instead of trying to kill poor enemy soldiers, because they just didn't do anything to me, so why should i kill them? Tak also taught me how to use question marks. I miss tak more than anything else. I am going to leave tonight.

I deserted the military and i think they just thought i'd died because they didn't try to chase me or anything. I decided that before i went to go help people first i would go tell tak's wife what he told me to say. I am travelling to their house right now, and I am making good progress because winter is almost over. Goodbye.

I told tak's wife what had happened and what he said and who i am. She really was beautiful. She started crying and i started crying with her and it made me really sad and i told her so. She thanked me for all i had done and told me i really was a friend tak would have been proud to have. I started crying even harder then and we hugged for a long time. She is letting me stay at her house until i can get back on my feet, and so i guess for now i'll end this journal here. I hope that after i get back on my feet i can start trying to help other people who were in my kind of situation. Starving and freezing and such things. Goodbye.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Welcome to the forums Disappoint Ed! A very good start to your AAR. I especially liked the journal of the soldier. The style in which you wrote it really brings home the feeling that the writer is without much education. Just a overall good job.

Just a couple of tips: Separate the journal entries by something more than spaces perhaps with a date or something. Also a little more background on the soldier like what faction he fight for would be good (its for Ito right). Other than that I thought that both updates were great (First one was excellent). Keep up the good work!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

From the perspective of the Daimyo of the Ito.

My father, master and mentor, had always preached to me several important virtues in a Daimyo. To attack, to be honorable, and to destroy the Shimazu. Several years ago, he was killed without honor by a Shimazu arrow. He was not an old man, no, nor was he ready for death to sweep him into its eternal grasp. This tragedy our nation mourned, and plotted. We had war for so long with the cursed Shimazu that we contented ourselves with other pleasures, money, love, gluttony, all these sins we committed. But when my father was killed it so shook our nation that it awakened us from our long slumber. We once again remembered we were supposed to be doing to defend our honor: Fighting in glorious combat our ancient rival.

Thus, here I stand now, marching to war. Yet I have made a miscalculation. Upon hearing the egregious news that one of our fortresses had fallen to the menace of the enemy's royal bastard, I prepared a small army and marched to war. I intended to seek combat with the Shimazu Daimyo, who, I presumed would accept it honorably and fairly. In this assumption I was wrong. Ironically it was their miscalculation that led to mine. Scouts reported seeing the enemy capital, with the Daimyo and a token guard inside, undefended. The nearest army had gone to attack our own capital and was now behind us. Under these circumstances we were forced to march further into the enemy's territory.

The Daimyo of the Shimazu, however, was going to allow us to take his city without last ditch efforts being employed, efforts not of honor and manliness, but of shameful cowardice. He sent forth soldiers to attempt to slow us down, hid within his meager walls, and allowed us to occupy and burn his villages. He would rather live than protect his people, the true sign of one who deserves death. Yet winter, which we had been forced to march in, had taken a toll on our troops, and we simply did not have the numbers to destroy the entirety of the enemy's armies, which they were quickly bringing upon us.

We shamefully were forced to march beyond the enemy capital, cornered onto a most unfortunate peninsula of death. We did what we could, we destroyed villages, attempted to coax the enemy Daimyo out of his pathetic hiding place. Yet he did not budge, and, in no shape to assault the enemy castle which had levied a large number of troops since our campaign began, we simply marched, avoiding combat with the bastard's army, which was unfortunately much larger than our own. The incessant cold drove many of our men to desertion or death, but those who remained were strong men. Knowing their Daimyo and his leading advisor were a part of their cursed entourage, they continued on, bless their brave souls.

The sad wind of death grew nearer, we could all feel it. Our scouts had long since stopped reporting back, either dying or deserting, and in this nightmare we yet persisted. The defiance of hopelessness is perhaps the most honorable thing any man can do, and I am proud to say that we Ito have done this well on this dreaded campaign. I personally have, however, made a grand mistake which may cause the deaths of these wonderful soldiers, and for that I feel that there may be a place reserved for my kind in some horrid abyss. Yet, despite this, I persisted on. If my soldiers could stare death in the face and not bat an eye, then surely I could do so as well.

But the months trapped grew weary. We became certain the enemy was toying with us. Winter passed, then spring, summer and fall. And finally now, here in winter, with our stores depleted and our men weary, the honorless Shimazu agree to a fight. Their men outnumber us 3 to 1, and have equipment which has not been attacked by the denizens of cold and rain, of snow and of heat. Their men are not weary as ours, not hungry as ours, not far from home as ours, we have only honor on our side. And I pray that this is enough.

My men await battle outside. The enemy is to offer it soon, of this I am sure. But the vulture should only strike once the lion is dead, and we are not. Not yet. We still have our honor, we still have our Gods, and we still have our weapons with which to wage glorious battle. I am certain that today, if we remain true and steadfast, and the Gods are on our sides, we shall make a day worth remembering forever in our history, to be added to a list of triumphs already spanning across many wonderful decades.

今日は戦うものとし、
    私たちの背後にある神々の意志
    手に武器、
    栄光の死私たちの勝利

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

As SK said, welcome to TWC!

A very nice start to your AAR! Keep it up! +rep

I can't really give any more advice than SK did, everything's great!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Thanks guys. I'm enjoying writing it, and very much glad that others are enjoying reading it.

All the best with your new AAR!
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Where Replenishment really comes from.

The entirety of the small town gathered outside. The sun was shining, the air was clean, the men and women gathered in their usual social groups, children played with the carefreeness only a child can have. The entire area was electric with the excitement. The grand army, with the heroic general who killed the Ito Daimyo, and too the son of the Daimyo, recently come of age, going to learn his way in combat. 'Twas a wonderful scene.

Masahiko Masuko sat on a chair outside his doors like all the rest. He was a melting pot of emotions, yet he did not show any of them. He had served in the military from the age of 17 to 23, but had been wounded in combat with the Ito when a spear pierced his leg. He was given leave and never again returned to the army, now a cripple, whose leg had been permenantly damaged. He carried with him shame, though no others put this burden on him, it was only himself. His inability to fight was something which spoiled his honor. He was too old now anyways, being 48 years of age. He'd married, late albeit, and settled down. He had a son now, a 16 year old son, and this son sat with his father.

Saburo Masuko had never been one to fight. He was excellent in his father's shop, was well fed and muscular, he just had never showed interest. His father had taught him how to wield a spear when he turned 13, but while he had been able to learn it easily, he never really cared for it. He did not intend for his father to know this, but Masahiko still did. And it shamed him further, for he had always wanted his son to regain his lost honor for him. And as they waited for the shining armor of the soldiers to pass, the father turned to the son.

"Saburo, I have been thinking..."

"And what is it that you have been thinking, father?"

"I think I would like for you to join the soldiers on their march."

There grew a look of surprise on Saburo's face, and he felt fear. He did not wish to disappoint his father, but he also did not wish to march to war, not yet. He had honor, yes, and pride, but he saw what war had done to his father and did not wish that to become his fate. This was why he had never showed interest in his spear. He was fearful of becoming his father's shadow. For he saw the shame and burden which ate away at his father.

"Now," Masahiko began, "I understand that you have not had time to think about this. I also understand that you have never showed much interest in joining the army. But Saburo, this is your chance to make a name of yourself. You can become a war hero, you can kill the Daimyo of the Ito and end this war forever. You can be something which no one of this village has been before. You can be something greater. Something glorious and honorable. You could, one day, perhaps become a Samurai."

"Yes, but father, I...I am not yet prepared to leave."

Masahiko looked shameful at this moment of what he had to say next, for he knew it was unfair to his son, and he knew his son did not want to leave for the army, but he also knew it was his sole chance at regaining his honor. "Son, me and your mother have discussed this already, and, in case you agreed to go into the army, we prepared all of your things. But, should you not wish to go, I want you to stay here, to take over my shop. But I also want you to have a chance to go and earn yourself honor and glory."

Saburo looked at his father deeply. His father had always been loving and kind, and he knew he would never chastise him for choosing not to join this army passing through. But he also saw the shame in his father's eyes of all that he had been robbed of by war, the shame of personal defeat, of being helpless. He knew his father wanted nothing more than honor, and that he could have none barring Saburo going to war. And so Saburo thought deeply, and concentrated. Masahiko expected an excuse, and he also knew that he would love his son regardless of what he said. So he prepared himself for disappointment so that when it came it would not consume him.

"Father..."

"It is your choice, son," reminded the father. At this point Saburo paused once more. He looked all around, he saw the beginnings of the army approaching, the shining uniforms, the glorious banners, the wondrous music. He saw the children playing and the old men talking, former soldiers many of them. He saw his childhood friends sitting, talking and eating with their own fathers. And he decided on his destiny at that point.

"Father, I shall join this army, and I shall march to glorious battle."

And Masahiko knew then that his honor and glory was satisfied. And he knew right then that his son would be a great soldier, a glorious soldier, a soldier who would, in his prime, earn back the honor that his father had lost and then some. And so Masahiko smiled, and the two went inside to prepare Saburo for his leaving.

I've begun to realize that this is, quite honestly, would be funner as a side project, rather than a sole AAR. I plan to update it soon, and again after that, but I'm also contemplating making this more on-the-side while I also write a more traditional, focused AAR at the same time. Not sure if that's overly ambitious, but rather than frustrate myself by committing solely to this AAR (Where it's quite easy to get writer's block) I think I'll do something else as well, and see what happens. But again, I hope to update this quite soon, maybe even tonight or tomorrow.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Look forward to seeing what you do!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)