3 10.00%
  • Homer Smpson

10 33.33%
  • Other (please state why)

4 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is manlier?

Default Who is manlier?

Who do you think is manlier and why? I have mostly given specific examples of people, but this applies for the general stereotypes they reflect more than the individual.

The US Marine.

The Marine, hes tough, hes rugged and you wouldn't want to fight him down the pub. Your story about how you fixed your leaky sink pales in comparison to his retelling of a harrowing 4 day march under enemy fire to deliver food and medical supplies to a remote refugee camp (you think he was making up the bit where he delivered a baby though).

Adrian Peterson

Hes like the marine, only he has bigger muscles. He epitomizes the warrior ideal that violent sports serve to support, only he doesn't have to do those trivial things like med evacs or stopping terrorism. Luckily, that just means he has more time to lift weights. He also has cheerleaders, so, you know... yeah.

Obama

Screw the warrior, we all know the best warrior is the king, thats why hes the king. Sure, Obama might not quite live up to that in physicality, but his leadership qualities are alive and well. Whats manlier than being a leader people look up to?

Tom Cruise

Hes like superman, only hes real, only hes kinda not. But that doesn't matter, because hes successful, good looking and cool enough to make you believe that he is actually a fighter pilot, secret agent and a 19th C Admiral all at the same time.

Bill Gates

Ok, he doesnt have the looks or the muscles, but hes successful. So much so he could probably afford to have all of the above come to his birthday party and burst from the cake topless. Everyone has their price, and he can match it.

Dalai Lama

What? Yeah him. Sometimes its harder to open your heart and love than it is to hold a grudge. If all men were like him, the world would be a more peaceful place. And hes actually quite of a troublemaker for someone that looks a bit like my granddad. He knows what is right, and hes willing to stand up for that, regardless of the consequences. What could be manlier than integrity?

Homer Simpson

Ok, hes a flawed character, but he loves his family and would do anything for them. Hes a decent, hard working man and who can fault that?
    Last edited by wupwup; February 28, 2014 at 01:43 PM.

Default Re: Who is manlier?

Homer obviously

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

Scubas.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Define manliness.

It's rather crucial since all of these exhibit characteristics that we ascribe to an ideal of masculinity: charisma, mental fortitude, leadership, independence, physical endurance and fitness.
    And most of the qualities we'd ascribe to such an ideal are so general, you could just as easily ascribe them to an ideal of femininity, save for the specific physical qualities.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    Define manliness.It's rather crucial since all of these exhibit characteristics that we ascribe to an ideal of masculinity: charisma, mental fortitude, leadership, independence, physical endurance and fitness.And most of the qualities we'd ascribe to such an ideal are so general, you could just as easily ascribe them to an ideal of femininity, save for the specific physical qualities.
    im asking you to define it :p masculinity is like you point out a socialy constructed ideal, as opposed to manliness which is having a just the biological aspects. Because its constructed everyone has a different definition, so whats yours?

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Tom Selleck

Hairy chest, moustache, man.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I think all are manly except for Obama who is just a mangina and Homer who is just a stereotype which symbolizes everything that's with the portrayal of men in the media.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; March 01, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Well marines are are dumbest, most violent and physically fit, drunken, mysgoentisic and asskicking part of the US military.

As an army intelligence officer told me one day "In the airforce and navy you learn valuable engineering and employment skills, as a marine, you just learn to ing kill people"
    Low speed, High Drag

None of the above, because they're all far too concerned with how manly I think they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    Well marines are are dumbest, most violent and physically fit, drunken, mysgoentisic and asskicking part of the US military.

As an army intelligence officer told me one day "In the airforce and navy you learn valuable engineering and employment skills, as a marine, you just learn to ing kill people"
    I agree with everything but dumbest, the Army are by far the dumbest as a group even some of the officers. High school diploma is required for the Marines, not so the Army.

but yeah I agree with the second part but there's not very many trades in the Marines period

Anyway picked Marine even though admittedly some Marines are pussies, but Football player would be my second choice just because theres next to no chance you will be killed playing football
    Last edited by RedGuard; March 01, 2014 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    None of the above, because they're all far too concerned with how manly I think they are.
    i doubt the dalai lama does. He just does his own .On marines, i didnt realize that was the opinion of them. I really just meant a generic soldier. Maybe i should have used a different example. How about the sas, they are pretty bad ass. if we are going just by danger 78% of pro football players suffer from a sport related injury on retirement or shortly after, and it has the worst record for brain damage for any sport. Its no walk in the park

Thread moved from Ethos, Mores et Monastica to Thema Devia.

Comrade_Rory's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Royal Marines out-manliness US Marines in every way.

Anyway, Grizzly Adams is by far the most manly person to ever exist. He's tough as nails with a bear for a best friend while he carves out a life for himself in the wilderness and he does it all with a heart of gold and a glorious beard.

Other than that, Sean Bean.
    A man makes obscene comments to a model that Sean Bean is on a date with, Sean Bean chases the man down to defend the woman's honour. Later on, the man stabs Sean Bean in the arm with a broken bottle and punches him.
    Does he go to the hospital? Nope! He goes back in to the pub and orders another pint.
    And he's from Sheffield which is automatically 10 man-points to anybody... even for the women.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Christopher ing Lee.
    Seriously.

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Each time he goes to sleep Chuck Norris checks his closet and under the bed for Christopher Lee

Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Christopher Lee. His leg never fully recovered.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Eduard Khil, without a doubt.
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Vladimir Putin would kill Obama.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

King_Porus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Vladimir Putin would kill Obama.
    Yes, but Stevey "the man" Harper could kill both of them using only his manly glare of death.

Wouldn't it be the guy in Australia, gets bitten by a shark, stitches it up himself, goes to the pub for a drink, and then drives to the hospital?
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Guys, guys the answer is obvious - it's me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast