Page 79 of 169 FirstFirst ... 2954697071727374757677787980818283848586878889104129 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 3369

Thread: Name That Historical Event

Default Re: Name That Historical Event

Oh, yes. It must be the mass execution of the San Patricios, Irish volunteers that deserted the American army to join the Mexican one, during the former's invasion of Mexico, many of whom were later shot by the Americans, after having been captured. Honestly, I didn't know about the event, but when I googled "mass execution in Mexico 19th century", one of the results was San Patricio battalion, and I made the connection with the poster's nationality.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Oh yeah thems the San Patricios.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Yes. Infinitely. Did this event occur in Mexico?
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Patrician

Yes, most of them were killed by the Americans in Mexico city just outside of the Castle of Chapultepec. You can see the aforementioned fort in the background of the painting.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Oh, yes. It must be the mass execution of the San Patricios, Irish volunteers that deserted the American army to join the Mexican one, during the former's invasion of Mexico, many of whom were later shot by the Americans, after having been captured. Honestly, I didn't know about the event, but when I googled "mass execution in Mexico 19th century", one of the results was San Patricio battalion, and I made the connection with the poster's nationality.
    Correct! I did this as a little test to see if anyone actually watched the video I linked about this specific event in the 'Name that historical figure thread' after I posted a picture of John Reilly, the leader of the San patricios!

John Reilly was not executed because he deserted the US army before the war broke out, so he wasn't classed as a traitor. He did however have to watch as his men were hung. The awaited death on the hillside until the Fortress of Chapultepec (basically the last stand of the Mexican army in the war) was captured. The American commander watched for the Mexican flag to be lowered and once the the Stars and stripes rose to replace it the San Patricios were killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chapultepec

Here's the video again, not that anyone will watch it!

You need only watch the first 2 minutes. It's an english language film but I can only find that dubbed version on Youtube.

Annnnywaaaaay, your turn Abdulmecid!
    Last edited by IrishBlood; September 15, 2016 at 03:35 AM.

Dubbing can really ruin a film, it was probably the most dramatic moment of the movie and my mind was all over about Latin American soap operas for teenagers. Anyway, thanks, Irish Blood, that was quite an interesting bit of information. The next image could perhaps be considered as the visually epitomizing the concept of "They had it coming!".
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Patrician

Prussia trying to instigate a war with Napoleon.

Indeed, officers of the bodyguard of the Prussian king, impatiently anticipating a war with the French Empire and playing it tough outside the French embassy in Berlin. Well, things didn't exactly go as expected, it seems.

Senator

Is there a special name for this event? Didn`t know about it and can`t find anything :-(

Patrician

To be honest I don't know the name of the event. I don't think it has a name. Just the Gardes du Corps sharpening their swords at the French embassy in Berlin.

Patrician

hello is anyone there?

Did this event occur in Central or South America?
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Patrician

Yes... how did you know?
    Yeah bad habit, sorry guys.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Death of Luis Carlos Galán something or the other, a... governor? assasinated by Pablo Escobar's henchmen.

Patrician

Yeah he was a Colombian presidential candidate who was assassinated by Pablo Escobar and aided by a major political figure in the country. Who this political figure who helped Pablo Escobar was still remains unknown after 27 years.

Colombian uniform gave it away. An easy one:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Patrician

The Aztecs discover Tenoch?

Tenoch was a dude, but I won't debate semantics. Yes this is where they found the omen for the founding of the great city.

Patrician

lol Tenoch discovers the island

Patrician