Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [PREVIEW] Divide et Impera 0.8 Preview Thread

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Divide et Impera 0.8 Preview Thread

Yes but bare bones do they start with Formed attack? If so I'm pretty sold on the update, since with what CA did to FA it makes it work SO MUCH better.
    only thing I would change about the mod is maybe the movement speeds of the campaign armies. Personal preference of mine, sometimes its a bit tedious moving armies a long distance.

I believe our Successor States include: Seleucid, Macedon, Egypt and Pergamon.
    Last edited by Dresden; February 28, 2014 at 04:08 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Decanus

@Dresden & the team - great work. Wow, this is just an incredible amount of talent & effort combined to create a tremendous gift for all of us. Thank you for all your work.

One comment, it seems like the successor states will start in a nicely advantageous position in terms of military technology relative to the Greeks. This is logical, as they inherit the work of their forefather. However, it could be said that the Greeks spent more time investing in civil technology while their Alexandrian brethren were off fighting in Asia..perhaps might you consider giving the Greeks a good advantage in civil technologies at the start of the campaign?

2nd random question - any thought on giving Rome an extra unlock slot or a unique building? Seems silly to have the title region less potentially developed than many other more minor regions.
    Last edited by wrcromartie; February 27, 2014 at 06:31 PM.

This is great, you're adding a huge amount of depth to the game. I like that you're starting with Camillians, however not long after the start of the game do the units begin evolving into the Republican troops. What will the criterion be for achieving the Polybian? Knocking off the Etruscans?

Reform requirements for now are based on Imperium Level and Turn Number. In the future, we may add more historically-specific triggers based on region ownership or buildings.

The reason we started with Imperium was for a few reasons. First, it is a baseline for us to get reforms working and in the game. Second, it allows the player a more open-ended campaign experience, so that specific actions don't have to be completed on every playthrough. It also allows us to apply our reforms method to all factions.

The reason we used turn number rather than historic year was the simple fact that our mod is 4TPY. So, for example, if we had Marian reforms at the historical date a player would have to get through almost 700 turns. It just isn't practical.

I will be posting a Reforms guide once 0.8 is released that has the specific turn numbers and imperium levels for every reform.

Edit: To answer your specific question, Romulus, the Etruscans are actually being removed and Rome will start with that territory. This is both for historical and gameplay reasons. In our current testing build we have Polybian reforms set at Imperium level 3 and 30 turns minimum.
    Last edited by Dresden; February 27, 2014 at 06:52 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

is there any way to give territories to other factions? like, if i subjugate sparta, it would be nice to give them land to improve relations and make them more powerful. making them more useful allies and also more delightfully dangerous to stabbing you in the back

Quote Originally Posted by NYG 5 View Post
    is there any way to give territories to other factions? like, if i subjugate sparta, it would be nice to give them land to improve relations and make them more powerful. making them more useful allies and also more delightfully dangerous to stabbing you in the back

I know that will be great similar to civilization. or give land to your enemy so you can make peace, or ask for land so you can make peace.

I always wonder why this diplomacy is not in the game.

The AoR system is the key major addition in 0.9, right? Will 0.8 and 0.9 be save game compatible with each other? I don't want to start playing 0.8 to have invalid saved campaigns with the next version (unless 0.9 is really gonna be far off and I'll be able to finish a campaign or two before it's out). This sort of thing is really the only thing curbing my huge desire to start playing with these great additions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Reform requirements for now are based on Imperium Level and Turn Number. In the future, we may add more historically-specific triggers based on region ownership or buildings.

The reason we started with Imperium was for a few reasons. First, it is a baseline for us to get reforms working and in the game. Second, it allows the player a more open-ended campaign experience, so that specific actions don't have to be completed on every playthrough. It also allows us to apply our reforms method to all factions.

The reason we used turn number rather than historic year was the simple fact that our mod is 4TPY. So, for example, if we had Marian reforms at the historical date a player would have to get through almost 700 turns. It just isn't practical.

I will be posting a Reforms guide once 0.8 is released that has the specific turn numbers and imperium levels for every reform.

Edit: To answer your specific question, Romulus, the Etruscans are actually being removed and Rome will start with that territory. This is both for historical and gameplay reasons. In our current testing build we have Polybian reforms set at Imperium level 3 and 30 turns minimum.
    Thats cool, as long as I can achieve them before I go to war with Carthage around which would give me some wiggle room as far as achieving the appropriate reforms go. All good.

Looks awesome, can't wait!

how about eastern factions reforms?

Senator

Fantastic, it will help the AI to not have crappy armies late game, can't wait.

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Unit Army limits will only affect the Player.
    That is to bad, I understand that the AI isn't able to handle unit limits so it would only break the ai, but I am getting a bit tired of fighting Seleucid armies with 7 royal peltasts, it is just so emergen breaking when you see an army only consiting of royal body guardssuch asSilver shields and royal peltasts... could perhaps unit limits within amries be implimented for the ai?

Great work guys .

A W E S O M E

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

Does this mean no hoplites late game?

Quote Originally Posted by Eihger View Post
    Heres a quick question. Will Barbarian cultures start off with their units not having formed attack but as the technology advances their units slowly start getting them as they become more advanced? For Example say a Spear Warrior unit in 272-150BC wouldn't have it, but when they hit the reforms and have developed their armies start forming in lines sort of thing.
    Yes.

Usually barbarians start out undisciplined and with low morale and end up fighting more defensively and disciplined, using formations.

However this is not the norm. Iberians for example while fighting disciplined and more defensively after the Loricati reform will not still fight in formation.
    Last edited by Selea; February 28, 2014 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleven93 View Post
    how about eastern factions reforms?
    Eastern factions reforms will be added later, when we overhaul those. For now they have not enough units to warrant a reform.

Making a reform just to enable Cataphracts seems a bit silly overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Matmannen View Post
    That is to bad, I understand that the AI isn't able to handle unit limits so it would only break the ai, but I am getting a bit tired of fighting Seleucid armies with 7 royal peltasts, it is just so emergen breaking when you see an army only consiting of royal body guardssuch asSilver shields and royal peltasts... could perhaps unit limits within amries be implimented for the ai?
    Whenever did you find the AI having 7 royal peltasts? It never happened to me.

Usually you have to FORCE the AI to acquire those units, since they have high upkeep and they require 2 turns to recruit.

As for the script that limit armies, sadly it doesn't' work for the AI because the way the AI works is different from the player and there's no way to make the proper checks.

All the recruitment variables for the AI is done internally, via tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Leggy View Post
    Does this mean no hoplites late game?
    After Thorax Reforms, normal hoplites will be replaced by Thorax Hoplites, but they will still be there.

The game never reaches the date hoplites vanished completely.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast