Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carthaginian Scutums

Icon5 Carthaginian Scutums

Hey guys, I decided to make some scutum designs for the late libyan infantry and carthaginian infantry for DEI during my spare time. I greatly enjoy them but I wonder if you (DEI) would like to use them for your mod, or if others would like to see them as part of a submod. Any feedback is welcome.

LawL_LawL's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Carthaginian Scutums

They look nice, but I don't have any idea as to the historical accuracy of these shields so can't comment on more than their appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by LawL_LawL View Post
    They look nice, but I don't have any idea as to the historical accuracy of these shields so can't comment on more than their appearance.
    I am not sure either, but I do like the rounded (not flat) thureos shield pattern used in eb the best. I think they probably would have gone for accuracy.

These would do nicely as a submod if the OP wants to make one though.
    . .

Those look pretty nice. I can't say anything on any historical accuracy, but some small aesthetic stuff being a bit ahistorical never bothered me much. No reason not to make a little sub-mod if you're willing to put the time into it.

Thanks for the feedback guys! As for historical accuracy, I do not have much to go on when it comes to Carthaginian scutum designs. While it can be assumed that the Libyan veterans that picked up scutums from dead Romans in Hannibal's army painted over the roman symbols, it is a bit harder to be historically accurate when it comes to those designs. With these I just used common Carthaginian symbols found throughout history and used them together to form my own overall shield designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksander the Average View Post
    I am not sure either, but I do like the rounded (not flat) thureos shield pattern used in eb the best. I think they probably would have gone for accuracy.

These would do nicely as a submod if the OP wants to make one though.
    I did prefer this as well and all that is needed to be done to do that is place gustave's wonderful Carthaginian thuros designs onto celtic and iberian oval shields like this.

I like them a lot!
    ...also, some look quite familiar ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by il Pitta View Post
    I like them a lot!
    ...also, some look quite familiar ;-)

I did use this image for some inspiration! Is that you with the silver body cuirass? I definitely did enjoy the images that went along with this historical reenactment.

Yep! Is the Carthaginian section of my reenacting association... I'm the second one from the right XD

Quote Originally Posted by il Pitta View Post
    Yep! Is the Carthaginian section of my reenacting association... I'm the second one from the right XD
    These Punic Veterans, Ligurians, and Iberians that you reenacted were pretty enjoyable to see. Nicely done!

These are very nice shields and I can imagine that the Libyans would have painted over the original captured roman patterns.

They look nice indeed! Brown skinned people in legionnaire attire is always quite impressive and blow my simple mind. I dont know anything on the historical accuracy, but visually they are very cool

Quote Originally Posted by Butan View Post
    They look nice indeed! Brown skinned people in legionnaire attire is always quite impressive and blow my simple mind. I dont know anything on the historical accuracy, but visually they are very cool
    I'm sure it blew the Romans minds when nearly identically armed infantry were slaughtering them at Cannae. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Yeah! i love this shields too! very historical! you could talk with DEI team? they could include them?? really love it! thanks! i hope this comes to light for all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by fernando77 View Post
    Hey guys, I decided to make some scutum designs for the late libyan infantry and carthaginian infantry for DEI during my spare time. I greatly enjoy them but I wonder if you (DEI) would like to use them for your mod, or if others would like to see them as part of a submod. Any feedback is welcome.

What cinematic camera do you use??

I like these a lot. They could believably be used for those late elite African infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Flavius View Post
    What cinematic camera do you use??
    Not using the cinematic camera for it, just zoomed down to ground level and then zoomed in to take the screenshot.

They look great, please release in a sub-mod as I am about to start my carthage let's play. I feel that current ones look like roman troops.

Maybe even take out the red.....just to make em even more "carthage"/-----just a thought.
    ITS ME "THE DUDE" AND I STILL HATE ELEPHANTS!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/thegamersdude1

Quote Originally Posted by Ant909 View Post
    They look great, please release in a sub-mod as I am about to start my carthage let's play. I feel that current ones look like roman troops.

Maybe even take out the red.....just to make em even more "carthage"/-----just a thought.
    Yeah, please, include them in a sub-mod or change the currently ones on DEI, i love thouse ones!!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=246894169

There is the submod, any feedback is welcome, enjoy!

If any of you would just prefer the shield designs being implemented to the Carthaginian reformed infantry, just let me know and I'll upload it on mediafire for download.
    Last edited by fernando77; April 07, 2014 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fernando77 View Post
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=246894169

There is the submod, any feedback is welcome, enjoy!

If any of you would just prefer the shield designs being implemented to the Carthaginian reformed infantry, just let me know and I'll upload it on mediafire for download.
    and that link for what is? for carthaginian reformed infantry right??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast