Thread: Converting Textures from 256x256 to 512x512

Default Converting Textures from 256x256 to 512x512

Hello,

I have a lot of textures that are 256x256 and I'd like to make them 512x512. Now I know how to scale the texture as a whole but that just leaves a bunch of empty space around the actual parts of the texture. I'm wanting everything to be enlarged or zoomed in that way they can look up to date and have higher quality about them.
    If someone could please show me how to do this, I'd really appreciate it!

regards,

~ahowl11

Algaman's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Converting Textures from 256x256 to 512x512

Hello friend!
    If u have some photoshop program and the .dds converter, itīs very easy to make 512x512 skins
    just in you .dds converter, just chose the skin you want and in the file output format, select it as .psd file
    Then open your photoshop (or similar program thereīs a few of them) and go to image, size, you will see the pixels and you can change it from 256 to 512
    Now, the only problem is the quality, by defect a 256x256 skin, when converted to a larger pixel size, gets a low quality look.
    You will need to rework it yourself.
    Regards, man.-

PROUD TEAM MEMBER

Hmm I was afraid of that. It might be something too complicated for my current abilities to rework the texture after it has been reformatted.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Converting is a waste of time if you're just enlarging the 256' as 'Algaman' points out. Unless you're looking to give yourself space for something like a full shield rather than a mirrored one.

The first example is one where I've remapped a 256' giving myself space for the full shield (which though the design didn't need it I wanted to add scratches that weren't mirrored).. The main reason to convert is to add details, which can be a waste of time as players often never see them close enough. So you're really often just doing it for yourself..

Last edited by Halie Satanus; February 28, 2014 at 05:05 AM. Reason: added image..

You know, you're right Halie, it would just be a waste of time ha. Thanks for the heads up!