Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Religion should be systematically, peacefully, and totally eradicated over the next 100 years (commentary) [Copperknickers II vs. Sicknero]

Default Re: Religion should be systematically, peacefully, and totally eradicated over the next 100 years (commentary) [Copperknickers II vs. Sicknero]

Quote Originally Posted by Ciabhán View Post
    So you're telling me if I consider myself an apatheist in the main that I'm not an atheist? I don't believe in any form of gods or spirits, etc. I don't care enough to actively disbelieve in them. I consider myself an apatheist but that's just a branch of atheism and saying atheist if someone asks requires far less explanation.

I do believe you're confusing all atheists with anti-theist types who actively dislike all forms of theism and/or their adherents.
    My response would be that only YOU can identify yourself as whatever you wish in regards to a belief system. I cannot say you are a lapsed Christian unless you yourself make that claim. I cannot say you are a nonbeliever even though that's how I would imagine you, I would never put you into a category as you've stated a preference now.

The point of the articles are a large number of nonbelievers do NOT consider themselves atheists. As such, it is disingenuous to claim that all nonbelievers in a deity are atheists.

Personally I don't care what you believe nor would I attempt to eradicate your beliefs. Even if you acted upon your beliefs by breaking a law, we can only punish the illegal act and not banish an idea. What we especially cannot do with laws is be capricious and suddenly say this idea is illegal. We cannot say that any collection of people who believe this idea are committing an illegal act. We should not eradicate all institutions who propose this idea we don't like.

Some people might make the claim, "If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, then it probably is a duck..." is not strictly speaking logical. A person may state that they are a nonbeliever in a deity. They don't attend church. They don't pray. However they also say that they are a nonbeliever because they are apathetic to religion, it is meaningless to them, and so they are not militant about it. They just want to be left alone.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; March 08, 2014 at 07:12 PM.

Default Re: Religion should be systematically, peacefully, and totally eradicated over the next 100 years (commentary) [Copperknickers II vs. Sicknero]

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    My response would be that only YOU can identify yourself as whatever you wish in regards to a belief system. I cannot say you are a lapsed Christian unless you yourself make that claim. I cannot say you are a nonbeliever even though that's how I would imagine you, I would never put you into a category as you've stated a preference now.

The point of the articles are a large number of nonbelievers do NOT consider themselves atheists. As such, it is disingenuous to claim that all nonbelievers in a deity are atheists.

Personally I don't care what you believe nor would I attempt to eradicate your beliefs. Even if you acted upon your beliefs by breaking a law, we can only punish the illegal act and not banish an idea. What we especially cannot do with laws is be capricious and suddenly say this idea is illegal. We cannot say that any collection of people who believe this idea are committing an illegal act. We should not eradicate all institutions who propose this idea we don't like.

Some people might make the claim, "If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, then it probably is a duck..." is not strictly speaking logical. A person may state that they are a nonbeliever in a deity. They don't attend church. They don't pray. However they also say that they are a nonbeliever because they are apathetic to religion, it is meaningless to them, and so they are not militant about it. They just want to be left alone.
    So I have your permission to be what I consider myself to be? That's good. Now if we can just get past that where in thread after thread after thread you continue to blame 'atheists', or some variation of godless types, for anything you can come up with and include anyone who disagrees with you in that group.

[QUOTE=Ciabhán;13693330]So I have your permission to be what I consider myself to be? That's good. Now if we can just get past that where in thread after thread after thread you continue to blame 'atheists', or some variation of godless types, for anything you can come up with and include anyone who disagrees with you in that group.[/QUOTE
    What utter ! What I've complained about are militant atheists who crash focused topics about theology with all manner of broad atheist complaints about theists, and without moderation.

Create a topic about anything to do with Christianity in a focused way like the Sabbath, and then you have militant atheists who mention every Bible verse about literally anything they see as wrong with Christianity. And this goes unchecked by moderation.

Create a topic that's a rotten bit of Socratic irony about does Jesus have a penis, and everything gets lumped into the topic.

So the militant atheists are in control in the forum and show utter bias. And worse, to people who actually defend atheists. What's up with that? If some of us were condemning you, or making you all out to be devils, I could see it, but the crass nonsense from atheists just gets by with a wink and a nod.

I don't give a crap how you label yourself. It's not a Christian claiming a nonbeliever as one of their members, it's the militant atheists who do this.

You just don't get the enormous bias of militant atheism. It's exactly like the Westboro Baptist Church. And it's overt when discussing eradicating religious organizations. If a Christian created a ridiculous topic on eradicating atheists, they'd be trounced. Rightly so. But this piece of excrement is absolutely fine as a topic. Worse it's in the Fight Club. What garbage.

You just don't understand that most theists don't care about what you do, but some militant atheists want to destroy us. Well there are names for those kinds of groups. Why not just join the KKK while you're at it?
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; March 08, 2014 at 08:04 PM.

[QUOTE=RubiconDecision;13693375]
    Well there are names for those kinds of groups. Why not just join the KKK while you're at it?
    I'll get right on that. Though being Irish and ostensibly Catholic at least as far as they'd be concerned I'm not sure they'd welcome me. I do believe they were pretty well against anyone who wasn't American born and Protestant.

I do however appreciate the irony and the outrageous hyperbole.

[QUOTE=Ciabhán;13693417]

I'll get right on that. Though being Irish and ostensibly Catholic at least as far as they'd be concerned I'm not sure they'd welcome me. I do believe they were pretty well against anyone who wasn't American born and Protestant.

I do however appreciate the irony and the outrageous hyperbole.
    My hyperbole goes well with the eradication of spirituality for the entire human race because a few asinine whiners decide it would benefit us all. How pathetic. Preaching intolerance by eradication, but then pretending to be enlightened by atheism and critical thinking. It's absolute tyrannical thinking.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

If you are discriminated on the fact that you are an atheist but maybe you are a little borderline that is irrelevant, the point is the reason you are being discriminated against.

Turns out if you are called but you are actually half hispanic the racism is still there.

TiagoJRToledo's Avatar Miles

[QUOTE=RubiconDecision;13693375]
    So I have your permission to be what I consider myself to be? That's good. Now if we can just get past that where in thread after thread after thread you continue to blame 'atheists', or some variation of godless types, for anything you can come up with and include anyone who disagrees with you in that group.[/QUOTE
    What utter ! What I've complained about are militant atheists who crash focused topics about theology with all manner of broad atheist complaints about theists, and without moderation.

Create a topic about anything to do with Christianity in a focused way like the Sabbath, and then you have militant atheists who mention every Bible verse about literally anything they see as wrong with Christianity. And this goes unchecked by moderation.

Create a topic that's a rotten bit of Socratic irony about does Jesus have a penis, and everything gets lumped into the topic.

So the militant atheists are in control in the forum and show utter bias. And worse, to people who actually defend atheists. What's up with that? If some of us were condemning you, or making you all out to be devils, I could see it, but the crass nonsense from atheists just gets by with a wink and a nod.

I don't give a crap how you label yourself. It's not a Christian claiming a nonbeliever as one of their members, it's the militant atheists who do this.

You just don't get the enormous bias of militant atheism. It's exactly like the Westboro Baptist Church. And it's overt when discussing eradicating religious organizations. If a Christian created a ridiculous topic on eradicating atheists, they'd be trounced. Rightly so. But this piece of excrement is absolutely fine as a topic. Worse it's in the Fight Club. What garbage.

You just don't understand that most theists don't care about what you do, but some militant atheists want to destroy us. Well there are names for those kinds of groups. Why not just join the KKK while you're at it?
    You talk about "militant atheists" like they're on a Crusade... Because we all know that Christians never did such things

Maybe it would be wise to remove thar tin-foil hat, and accept the fact that we live in a reactionary period, it just happens that atheism is the one reacting. Maybe some action to COUNTER this REFORMATION is in order

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

When any group calls for the eradication of another, they are bigoted. Calling for the eradication of theists by destroying their religious houses is no different than the tactics of Oliver Cromwell in Ireland. But it's especially shocking when those who claim to be enlightened act as if such eradication would be not only normal but normative.

Malcolm X suggested African-Americans arm themselves against those who would oppress them. I suggest that all theists take up arms and defend their freedom of religion from those who would eradicate it. To the death if need be. I've been armed for decades, but I never supposed tyranny would come from militant atheists. I'm glad I know.

TiagoJRToledo's Avatar Miles

When any group calls for the eradication of another, they are bigoted. Calling for the eradication of theists by destroying their religious houses is no different than the tactics of Oliver Cromwell in Ireland. But it's especially shocking when those who claim to be enlightened act as if such eradication would be not only normal but normative.

Malcolm X suggested African-Americans arm themselves against those who would oppress them. I suggest that all theists take up arms and defend their freedom of religion from those who would eradicate it. To the death if need be. I've been armed for decades, but I never supposed tyranny would come from militant atheists. I'm glad I know.
    So the Golden Rule only applies to people that agree with you?

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

You're now comparing discussion on an internet forum to the Penal Laws, land confiscation, massacres, indentured servitude and the bounty hunting of Catholic clergy? Not only that but you're getting so incensed over said discussion that you're now calling for armed resistance to it? I can see why some people feel the way they do about your sort.

As to this 'enlightened' thing. I can't say I've seen too many people claim that. A small sampling of posters on a forum, which is in itself a small sampling, doesn't speak for any significant population. I'm rather a nihilist and as such I see myself as not much more than a hairless ape trying to make my way the world, the same way I see anyone else. None of us have any real answers to anything and none of what we consider important personally really is. Life goes on...

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoJRToledo View Post
    So the Golden Rule only applies to people that agree with you?
    Interesting isn't it? Jesus also told his disciples to carry a sword. I have one. I am a peaceful man, but I'm not going to let someone run over me. Sorry, try and take away my church from me if you dare.

Loving your neighbor as yourself is fine. Turning the other cheek is fine, but it doesn't mean to be a pacifist. It means to forgive. I forgive intolerance especially by young immature teens, but that doesn't mean I let them eradicate me. Only the most spineless Christian would let these intolerant militant atheists have their way. What's especially insulting is I would defend atheists in general if anyone tried to eradicate atheism.

This isn't a debate. No person or group should have to defend themselves from the intolerant who desire the removal of their natural rights. This is an abject farce and I would hope that anyone would see what an embarrassment some atheists are when they speak this way. I've challenged Christians who spoke this way to atheists. It's shocking in the 21st Century that any group gets a pass when they are acting in a completely unethical repugnant way to subjugate literally billions of people. Pathetic.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; March 08, 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

When any group calls for the eradication of another, they are bigoted. Calling for the eradication of theists by destroying their religious houses is no different than the tactics of Oliver Cromwell in Ireland.
    I hate to invoke Godwins law, but you have literally just compared the dissolution of religious institutions with genocide: Cromwell killed half the population of Ireland, even Hitler didn't manage that scale of genocide in terms of percentage of the population killed. Utterly disgusting comparison to make, you have insulted the memory of millions of people in a single sentence.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicondecision View Post
    How many apathetic nonbelievers identify as atheist? That's the point of the Psychology Today article. They don't. No one considers them atheists but actual atheists. And why not, it burgeons their numbers.
    Most non-golfers don't self identify as non-golfers: they're still non-golfers. Atheists who don't self identify as atheists are still atheists. Most people don't like to self identify with word that only existed as an insult until recently.

Calling for the eradication of theists by destroying their religious houses is no different than the tactics of Oliver Cromwell in Ireland.
    Woah woah woah woah. Let's not blow things out of proportion. Legislating against religion is bad, but it's not as bad as mass torture and murder of men women and children and rape and land theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankbustaz View Post
    Do you have any actual evidence of this or are you pulling it out of your rear?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Senator

Ah yes, several blogs and the Guardian are proof of dozens of people being sacrificed each year, while the local news in Bengal and Bihar makes no mention of it. Most of your blogs seem to link to the daily mail, and they are not actually paragons of journalism. I would rather trust the local news media and TV channels rather than random idiots sitting halfway around the world waiting to spice up their daily news. A large number of these killings in West Bengal are actually kidnappings and ransoms which have gone bad, because the state itself has not got any economy.

This reminds me of the British blowing up the amount and power of Thuggees who were infesting the backward and pagan land of Yindoostan sacrificing innocents to evil demon Kali, while the majority of them were bandits and highwaymen killing or robbing passersby, often killing them when things got hairy.
    BTW Goats are supposed to be sacrificed to Kali, not kids ( no pun ). The amoxtli.org website has 4 mentions of the word Kali, and 3 of them are part of a verse. The damninteresting website refers to 19th century India, while the others are blogs quoting from dailymail.co.uk . Personally I have trouble believing western sources as their liaisons in India modify the news to be more shocking to intended audiences which oftentimes runs contrary to the local media reports who actually send reporters to ask questions in the region. Just keep that in mind the next time you source news articles about India in general and Hinduism in particular.

Artifex

One thing is definitely sure: organized religion and missionaries should be forbidden:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RT6rL2UroE
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Miles

It would change exactly nothing about the major problems with religion. The problem is that it is a political ideology which is passionately abided by and is easily abused for worse. Now any observant gent may notice that this is not specific to religion. In fact it is a problem with any ideology ever in the history of man. The reason religion looms above every other ideology is because the vast majority of people is religious regardless of their exact view on how worldly affairs should be handled. And to a non-religious person, his non-religious ideology may appear to be overwhelmed by religious ideologies, i.e. that religion itself is somehow the culprit because it is a flawed system.

But it's irrelevant if you justify genocide with spiritual or worldly reasons. Sengoku Jidai was not religiously motivated. The Rouge Khmer were not religiously motivated. The Terreur period of the French Revolution was decidedly not religiously motivated. World War 2 was not religiously motivated (I don't give a if Hitler was a catholic and many of his leading generals pagans - that isn't the cause for WWII). The holocaust was not religiously motivated - neither were Jews the only victims nor were Jews persecuted for religious reasons, even if the European antisemitic tradition may be originally religiously motivated - pretty sure "they killed Jesus" is not the reason they were turned into soap though. Holodomor was not religiously motivated. The Liberian civil wars were not religiously motivated, as most civil wars aren't. Drug cartels and the deletirious side effects of the War on Drugs aren't caused by religion. The near ultimately fatal Cuban crisis was not caused by religion (and yes it counts because there were people willing to blow the world into smithereens just so they can say they were the first who did it). World War I was not religiously motivated. The Belgian abose of the Congolese was not religiously motivated, and that is just the tip of the iceberd of Colonial abuse.
    Those are just the ones off the top of my head. The only reason you see so much suffering and irrationality "caused by religion" is because religion occupies the mind of most people.
    The problem is within people's heads, the irrationality is rather not caused by religion but the other way around, and you will not eradicate religion without eradicating humanity. There is also no merit to eradicating religion, as it will be easily replaced by other ideologies, and wait some 50 odd years and you'll have vaguely but decidedly religious people again anyway - they'll always ponder about the world and beyond and come up with rather ridiculous during the course of it.

This idea of eradicating religion is 100% missing the mark, and proposing it be done "peacefully" is an exercise in futility if I ever saw one.

Also I'm an atheist.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345