Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA euro 2016

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: UEFA euro 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros_Kalmpou View Post
    Come on Greece...1 point in three(3) matches...I guess that happens when Ranieri picks players based on their team and not on their performance
    Ranieri is a good coach. He should not be sacked until after 08 September 2015.

Albania should lose the match 3-0 since it was an Albanian supporter who caused it to be interrupted.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Stavros_Kalmpou's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Ranieri is a good coach. He should not be sacked until after 08 September 2015.
    I don't doubt his quality, but Greece, especially in football, is really corupt, controlled by the central system(Olympiakos, without them we would have won at least a continental title)
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros_Kalmpou View Post
    I don't doubt his quality, but Greece, especially in football, is really corupt, controlled by the central system(Olympiakos, without them we would have won at least a continental title)
    If it's any consolation Romania is in the same boat. All out goals were scored due to the talent of two players, marica and Sanmartean. If they're out, we're out.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; October 16, 2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Discussion moved
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

On topic sort of, Spain U.21 is out from the Euro/Olympic qualifiers. Big deal since they are the reigning champions and they are historically the most successful U.21 team. The next gen. not that golden?

I wouldn't put much stock in youth tournaments. For example Portugal used to pretty much pwn everyone during the 1990s but never won anything, losing their only final to a fairly mediocre team in 2004. On the opposite spectrum Romania always sucked at youth competitions but the exact same team was at one point the best in Europe.
    Youth tournaments are more about building the character and mentality needed to win medals when you go senior than actually winning anything.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; October 16, 2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Discussion moved

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    On topic sort of, Spain U.21 is out from the Euro/Olympic qualifiers. Big deal since they are the reigning champions and they are historically the most successful U.21 team. The next gen. not that golden?
    France was eliminated too by sweden.

I wouldn't put much stock in youth tournaments. For example Portugal used to pretty much pwn everyone during the 1990s but never won anything, losing their only final to a fairly mediocre team in 2004.
    Of course the contrary argument can be made as well. Spain did great in the youth competitions, and then was world, and european champions, Same thing for germany, and those like Portugal that never won anything, its undenyable that thanks to the work done with youth teams in 90s, Portugal won at least the place of respect that holds today ( before the 90s, everything was very mediocre, we rarely went to any final stages of any competition). The golden team in the 90s were actualy world champions, against Brazil... the Brazil of Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo etc. They might have not won anything later on, but no doubt put Portugal in the world stage, a place that still continues with its ups and downs. So i wouldnt downplay the work and results done in youth teams and competitions.
    Titles or not, are a good measure in order to gauge the future of national teams.
    That said, i dont think Spain or France, or even Netherlands ( wich were all eliminated of the U21 euro qualifying playofs), are going to lose power overal in the future in their senior teams, but no doubt there will be other national teams being also players on the same level, and grow even more. Germany probably will continue an hegemony of sorts, looking at their results in U19 and U21, of late.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 16, 2014 at 06:55 PM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

I have split off the Serbia - Albania incident and moved it to the Thema Devia. If you wish to discuss this incident that is the place to do it. Lets keep this about football, guys.

Serbia awarded win over Albania but docked three points by Uefa
    • Serbia must play next two qualifiers behind closed doors
    • Both countries fined €100,000 after abandoned match
    • Albanian FA calls Uefa’s decision ‘a travesty’

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...uefa-sanctions

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Greece with a solid 0-1 home loss to the Faroes.
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

Gatsby's Avatar Punctual Romantic

A surprisingly entertaining performance from Scotland. Not only does Strachan get us results we are actually playing attractive football - Maloneys 1-2 with Brown and then that beautiful goal for example.

If we waste less chances I think we can scrape points off Poland and Germany, beat the ROI again, and obviously work up a decent GD with Gibraltar, and voila we've finally got into a major tournament.
    You'll have more fun at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding.

Under the patronage of the mighty Dante von Hespburg

Quote Originally Posted by Acco View Post
    Greece with a solid 0-1 home loss to the Faroes.
    Impressive.

We should place bets on how long until Ranieri gets the sack

Northern Ireland tried to play like Italy/typical balkan team. Only problem is they're neither.

I'd say within the week if Greece wants to salvage anything.

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    A surprisingly entertaining performance from Scotland. Not only does Strachan get us results we are actually playing attractive football - Maloneys 1-2 with Brown and then that beautiful goal for example.

If we waste less chances I think we can scrape points off Poland and Germany, beat the ROI again, and obviously work up a decent GD with Gibraltar, and voila we've finally got into a major tournament.
    O'Neills setup was howling. One-dimensional, thuggish and static. Glad the match was won by a singular piece of superb skill.

Strachan certainly improved our side. You can clearly see the goal was a product of training ground-maneuver, skill & setup from players who struggled so badly under Levein. Huge improvement.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Belgian line up

---------------------Courtois--------------------------

Vanden Borre-Alderweireld-Lombaerts-Verthongen

-----------------------Witsel----------------------------

----------------------------Fellaini----------------------

----------------------De Bruyne-------------------------

Chadli------------------Origi------------------------Hazard
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Where are Lukaku and Mirallas?

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Wilmots out

6 wins on the trot now
    although the last one was against a minor team
    mind you qualification is one thing .............

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

And getting out of the group stage a second...

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

I 4-1 love to be Irish.
    WE HAMMERED THE OUT OF THE YANKS IF YOU MISSED IT HON THE BOYS IN GREEN