Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA euro 2016

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: UEFA euro 2016

Meh Switzerland is more like a paper tiger, estonia can be beaten with offensive play, Slovenia might pose a bit of a problem but they can beaten too
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Have a little faith in the English team, they're clearly in the middle of a generational transition. As long as you don't fall again for coaches like Capello who find delight in petty, selfish and cheap schemes like the one he showed in 2010 ENG or 2014 RUS you are going to be ok.

Winning with offensive authority or going down nobly, that's what English football is all about.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Go Northern Ireland. Surprised that Portugal lost to Albania.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Surprised that Portugal lost to Albania.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Cant say im totaly suprised since i watched the first minutes of play i realized Portugal wouldnt win this match, the only football they have, its only what the players can do on their own. That was very evidently so today.

Epic fail by Portubros. Considering Serbia and Denmark are fairly decent teams this is not looking good at all.

Kolarov free kick goal was amazing. If this team have spent more time together they would own Frenchies.

Portugal manager Paulo bento was sacked. About time i say.

http://www.euronews.com/sport/268467...-portugal-fpf/
    There is alot of work to do, alot of people say there is a lack of young talent and bad formation... wich is ridiculous imo, Under 21 and under 19 have being doing good campaings in their competitions. The under 19 were vice-european champions this summer if im not mistaken. when there isnt a football model in a team, its natural the results wont come up imo.
    The lack of Portuguese players playing in the bigest Portuguese teams of the league is also a factor.
    Porto i think only have 1 or 2 portuguese players, same for Benfica and i mean in the roster not the initial team....
    In fact i think valencia in Spain has more Portuguese playing then this teams
    Or even Real Madrid has more Portuguese playing then Porto in their team, wich is odd.
    At anycase there are players, they need not be wasted imo. looking at Germany wich are far from being my favorite world champion teams in history, yet they still manage to do great results ( having a routinely worked players that play all seasons in the same team helps though.)
    Bothom line i think Portugal can do better with what they got, wich isnt great, but it isnt terribad either.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 11, 2014 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Portugal manager Paulo bento was sacked. About time i say.

http://www.euronews.com/sport/268467...-portugal-fpf/
    There is alot of work to do, alot of people say there is a lack of young talent and bad formation... wich is ridiculous imo, Under 21 and under 19 have being doing good campaings in their competitions. The under 19 were vice-european champions this summer if im not mistaken. when there isnt a football model in a team, its natural the results wont come up imo.
    The lack of Portuguese players playing in the bigest Portuguese teams of the league is also a factor.
    Porto i think only have 1 or 2 portuguese players, same for Benfica and i mean in the roster not the initial team....
    In fact i think valencia in Spain has more Portuguese playing then this teams
    Or even Real Madrid has more Portuguese playing then Porto in their team, wich is odd.
    At anycase there are players, they need not be wasted imo. looking at Germany wich are far from being my favorite world champion teams in history, yet they still manage to do great results ( having a routinely worked players that play all seasons in the same team helps though.)
    Bothom line i think Portugal can do better with what they got, wich isnt great, but it isnt terribad either.
    Sad to see the cancer has spread to Portugal as well. I was discussing the other day with one of my friends how Benitez has flooded Napoli with mediocre foreign players, benching or selling talented young Italians. And let's not even start with how bad the Premier League is in that respect.
    In comparison, both Real Madrid and Barcelona launch 1-2 Spanish talents every year and the Spanish team is terrifying, no matter how many are injured or retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Sad to see the cancer has spread to Portugal as well. I was discussing the other day with one of my friends how Benitez has flooded Napoli with mediocre foreign players, benching or selling talented young Italians. And let's not even start with how bad the Premier League is in that respect.
    In comparison, both Real Madrid and Barcelona launch 1-2 Spanish talents every year and the Spanish team is terrifying, no matter how many are injured or retired.
    Well im not suire about Benfica. But as Porto is conserned, they arent mediocre. I actualy like this Porto team in a way, i just wished they had more Portuguese players in it to be honest. If you overlook that fact, its actualy a very interesting team.
    Example Porto players summoned for todays match

Fabiano ( Brazilian), Andrès Fernandez (Spanish), Danilo (Brazilian), Indi (Dutch/Portuguese), Maicon(brazilian), Marcano (Spanish), Casemiro(Brazilian), Quaresma (Portuguese), Jackson Martinez (Colombian), Brahimi ( Argeli), Quintero (Colombian), Tello (Spanish), José Ángel ( Spanish), Evandro ( Brazilian), Herrera(Mexican), Ricardo (Portuguese), Rúben Neves ( 17 year old Portuguese talent and future world class star for sure) and Aboubakar ( Cameroon).

Of all these usualy only Ruben Neves is the only Portuguese playing at start up and usual sure bet of the manager.
    Quaresma isnt first choice usualy this season so far. Wich is ok since we have truckload of amazing talented players for that position.
    So far Brahimi as being amazing he already scored more goals while playing in Porto then he ever did last season in Granada, quite a catch. Its possible we might lose him for a big European club in the future seasons though.
    Bothom line we usualy only have one or two tops, Portuguese players playing at any given time. It is a bit sad, and it doenst bode well for the national team.

I forsee Portuguese national team falling into obscurity in the near future, if not for Ronaldo stardom wich only will last for so long.
    Probably im being a pessimist, there are tons of Portuguese players playing in other leagues, but no one near the talent of Figo/Ronaldo/ Rui costa. But still.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; September 14, 2014 at 05:22 AM.

England squad looks very good on paper.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    Yeah, they might get pretty far with this team.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    Have a little faith in the English team, they're clearly in the middle of a generational transition.
    Since 1966.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    That must be some amazing paper, is it the Sun or Daily Mail?

English squad has been a bloody embarrassment for as long as I recall. The only positive sign is that it seems that slowly this sinks in with the English public, which lowers expectations and media hype. That does not solve fundamental, structural problems of English football but at least shelters the squad and punters from the ridicule of having to explain how contrary to expectations they managed to do zilch.

Wait, they did win something
    The 2004 FA Summer tournament. Japan was second and Iceland third. Yes, Iceland.
    Last edited by Garbarsardar; October 06, 2014 at 09:59 PM.

Well England hasn't been in a final since 1966 and in a semifinal since 1996, that means something...

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Veritas Temporis Filia

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    Since 1966.
    It's a very long generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Domna View Post

Oh wait.....

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: 2014/15 English Premier League

edse's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Julia Domna View Post
    Was it a free kick, or what?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Second half last night, 5 Arsenal players on the pitch for England - Calum Chambers, Kieran Gibbs, Jack Wilshere, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Danny Welbeck. Last time that happened - 1936 Vs Austria - Male, Hapgood, Crayston, Copping, Bowden and (the legendary) Cliff Bastin.

And with Walcott likely to make the national team (when he's fit), we could see 6 Gooners on the pitch at one time.

The most ever was 1934 when 7 Arsenal lined up for a game vs Italy (a record to this day)..

Romania-Hungary is more entertaining than i expected.