Thread: Genoese textures at a distace

Default Genoese textures at a distace

I love the new Genoese knight texture, but it looks like there is artifact from the times of the Duchy of Milan in that, when zoomed out, the models revert to being green. Is there a quick fix for this that anyone can explain to me? Or am I stuck like this for a bit?

Consulo's Avatar Laurifer Invictus

Default Re: Genoese textures at a distace

I've noticed that too. Not really sure what exactly causes it though. :\

Feel free to add me.

Quote Originally Posted by Suthseaxe View Post
    I love the new Genoese knight texture, but it looks like there is artifact from the times of the Duchy of Milan in that, when zoomed out, the models revert to being green. Is there a quick fix for this that anyone can explain to me? Or am I stuck like this for a bit?
    Hello,

Its caused by the "sprites", which are low-resolution versions of the 3D models.
    And effectively the genoese sprites are those from vanilla Milan. If you wants to change it, you could replace these sprites by those from the Jerusalem faction(which have white sprite as well)

Some explanations(that one will remove the sprites from the game):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Simply, if you are annoyed with this short sprite draw distance in battles, want to enjoy beautifuly crafted TA soldiers and highest Unit details setting is not enough for you, you can increase draw distance by editing battle_models.modeldb file. located in:
    Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\unit_models

First: backup battle_models.modeldb !!!!!!! no matter what, make safecopy, just do it !!!!!!
    seconds (did i mention to backup?)
    1) open battle_models.modeldb with notepad (preferably notepad++)
    2) hit Ctrl+H (find and replace) to replace ".mesh 10000" with ".mesh 200000"
    3) hit Ctrl+H (find and replace) to replace ".mesh 6400" with ".mesh 10000"
    4) save
    5) you did make backup? right??

you can fool around with greater values than 200000

Do not use any text in this post as copy reference. Just select part of text inside your file battle_models.modeldb

Because of increased distance from which sprites will be generated, more gpu power will be required. USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK

I do not take any responsibility for your hrdware/software/medieval 2/TATW. YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK.

AND BACKUP !

I did think that was the case. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm fine with the sprites freeing up some of my system resources, so is there an explanation you can link me to on how to just swap them over to Jerusalem? I'm afraid I'm a complete novice to modding TW games (also, would that work for all era campaigns?)

@Sutheaxe, you need to open with Notepad that file: ""battle_models.modeldb"", and to replace the actual genoese/milanese sprites with those from jerusalem.

Sprite is that line in red
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1 4 71 unit_models/_Units/AS_Lamellar_Heavy/mongol_light_lancers_ug1_lod0.mesh 121
    71 unit_models/_Units/AS_Lamellar_Heavy/mongol_light_lancers_ug1_lod1.mesh 900
    71 unit_models/_Units/AS_Lamellar_Heavy/mongol_light_lancers_ug1_lod2.mesh 2500
    71 unit_models/_Units/AS_Lamellar_Heavy/mongol_light_lancers_ug1_lod3.mesh 6400
    7 mongols
    73 unit_models/_Units/AS_Lamellar_Heavy/textures/AS_Lamellar_mongols.texture
    72 unit_models/_Units/AS_Lamellar_Heavy/textures/AS_Lamellar_normal.texture
    52 unit_sprites/mongols_Mongol_Heavy_Lancers_sprite.spr
    7 mongols
    59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Asian_mongols_diff.texture
    59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Asian_mongols_norm.texture 0

Remember the "back-up" part of the instructions.

Ok, so I'd replace (I haven't looked a the notepad yet, so this will be the wrong but it's an example)

"milanese_Milanese_knight" with "jerusalem_Jerusalem_knight" for example? I'll give it a go; I'll of course back everything up. I'd hate to mess it up.

(Also, as a side note: does anyone have any good strategies for the Milanese? I'm finding it impossible to get going on hard mode but, once I do get going, I'm expecting it to be too easy on medium!)