Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Blood & Roses; A Campaign Mod for the War of the Roses Era

Corbeau's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Blood & Roses; A Campaign Mod for the War of the Roses Era

I've finished my History studies at York now and the life of a mature student is over so I should definitely have more time to dedicate to this now. Research and historical details, including the visual stuff is probably where I'd best be able to help right now. My background in tabletop wargaming and living history definitely helps as well I think. Wouldn't object to doing that writing at all, similarly helping with liveries etc.

I've forgotten most of what I taught myself in regards to modding M2TW, but that can be quickly relearned where necessary.

Agree with the decision regarding the minimal culture development, it's definitely more realistic for such a short period - and whilst it might make the game a bit more exciting I'm personally wary of adding things that detract from the feel of the period. But then I'm a boring sod.

In terms of a timeframe are we saying 1450 - 1500?

There's definitely a lot of promise in this project, and we can't let all your hard work and everyone else's go to waste on this. I'm sure we can get somewhere with this

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Corbeau View Post
    I've finished my History studies at York now and the life of a mature student is over so I should definitely have more time to dedicate to this now. Research and historical details, including the visual stuff is probably where I'd best be able to help right now. My background in tabletop wargaming and living history definitely helps as well I think. Wouldn't object to doing that writing at all, similarly helping with liveries etc.

I've forgotten most of what I taught myself in regards to modding M2TW, but that can be quickly relearned where necessary.

Agree with the decision regarding the minimal culture development, it's definitely more realistic for such a short period - and whilst it might make the game a bit more exciting I'm personally wary of adding things that detract from the feel of the period. But then I'm a boring sod.

In terms of a timeframe are we saying 1450 - 1500?

There's definitely a lot of promise in this project, and we can't let all your hard work and everyone else's go to waste on this. I'm sure we can get somewhere with this
    Happy News! I'm typing from work ATM, but when I get home I'll look into cobbling a package of files to pass on to you. Since taking Point this week, I began stripping down the BETA to be script-free, and to clarify the 29 factions names etc. (Saving all of Roz' script work to be completed and added back in later). For Sandy's needs, I'm also deleting most entries in the descr_units.txt and making it just the limited custom profiles required for the campaign (I'm assuming none of them are essential to launch the game). Making it a simple matter for him to work through a short and static list that doesn't blow up on him. A very LIGHT mod!

I'll show you the factions list that Roz has left me, to get your pass on them. And then I'd need you to advise me on the most suitable heraldry/symbols to include in the menu graphics. I have my notes from Roz, and my own best guesses, but would want your input there JIC.

LOL Don't forget to pick up a sig banner from the first post!

(ps "Tabletop Wargaming"? You'll be tickled to know I sent Sandy pics of the Perry Bros WotR 3-Ups as model references. I'm a full time miniature sculptor myself.)
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; October 01, 2014 at 03:35 PM.

THIS is good professional reference for the late period foot knight animations in this game. IF someone were to remake those animation files, this would be the first stop..

WOW! Those suits were quite nimble to wear after all.

Last edited by Live2sculpt; October 13, 2014 at 09:05 AM.

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Used2BRoz View Post
    Hmm York was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland until summer of 1453, when he lost it.

He was also Earl of Ulster

The other two factions - the Butlers (who supported Lancaster) and became Lord lieutenant after York) and Fitzgeralds (who supported York) can easily go on the alpha map as generals for the respective factions. anywhere not covered by them can be rebel.

Here's a map from wikipedia no idea from where or by whom, but it looks a reasonable approximation :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ireland_1450.png

For the alpha game, using the vanilla map, from which we can give Dublin and Trim to England, Downpatrick to York, Cork to Fitzgerald ((ie York); and Tipperary to Butler (Earl of Ormond)(ie Lancaster), the rest can be held by the slave faction. Again an approximation, nothing more.
    ---------------------------

Q: Why is it so difficult to find anything in Mod workshop ? I know there's something for underage faction heirs but using search I can't find it.
    Am I correct in thinking it only goes back 1 year ? Luckily we have google which indexes everything :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Heir-or-Leader

Q: Names verifier - the link I found was broken but google finds this :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3493

Hmm- why not just scrap the search function and let google do it ?
    When the war of the roses consumed England, the Earldom of Kildare Gerald Fizgerald the 8th Earl of Kildare, who would soon be called the Great Earl by both the Irish and the English of the Pale. A well educated man who could speak Irish,English and Norman France, Gerald Fizgerald proved to be a master politician, diplomat and unifier. His family connections made him the perfect compromise candidate to gain support from inhabitants of Ireland as king in all but name. He even supported failed rebellions aginst the english kings, but gained pardons becouse of his power. For the first time since brain Boru, Ireland enjoyed a semblance of peace and unity.
    By 1485, the War of the Roses was ended and Henry VII was on the English throne. The king soon turned his eye to Ireland, and in 1494, Henry sent Sir Edward poynings to replace the Earl of Kildare as his deputy.Backed by thousand armed men, Poynings arrested Gerald Fizgerald. Poynings then called parliamen which drew up a document know as Poynings Law, stating that all bills of irish Parliament had to approved by the King of England. With the Safegruard in place, the King recalled Poynings and released Gerald Fizgerald.. Henry saw that peace in Ireland depended on the Earl, so he reinstated him his deputy. Despite his power.

I could go on but now it's going way off the point.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipO'Hayda View Post
    When the war of the roses consumed England, the Earldom of Kildare Gerald Fizgerald the 8th Earl of Kildare, who would soon be called the Great Earl by both the Irish and the English of the Pale. A well educated man who could speak Irish,English and Norman France, Gerald Fizgerald proved to be a master politician, diplomat and unifier. His family connections made him the perfect compromise candidate to gain support from inhabitants of Ireland as king in all but name. He even supported failed rebellions aginst the english kings, but gained pardons becouse of his power. For the first time since brain Boru, Ireland enjoyed a semblance of peace and unity.
    By 1485, the War of the Roses was ended and Henry VII was on the English throne. The king soon turned his eye to Ireland, and in 1494, Henry sent Sir Edward poynings to replace the Earl of Kildare as his deputy.Backed by thousand armed men, Poynings arrested Gerald Fizgerald. Poynings then called parliamen which drew up a document know as Poynings Law, stating that all bills of irish Parliament had to approved by the King of England. With the Safegruard in place, the King recalled Poynings and released Gerald Fizgerald.. Henry saw that peace in Ireland depended on the Earl, so he reinstated him his deputy. Despite his power.

I could go on but now it's going way off the point.
    Thank you. Sadly Roz doesn't seem to have returned to see your feedback. Also, without Roz, we are rebuilding the factions list and characters. (More on that later.)

But do you think you could supply us with an informed Faction Summary to use for Ireland, and a short list of Leader-Family-and non-Family Nobles to populate it with?

A look at the regions map on the OP shows how much of Ireland is being used, with the Pale being assumed to be in some sort of English control. We are looking at 1450's, including any future notables who had been born by then.

What we have right now is this:
    character Thomas FitzGerald, named character, male, leader, age 33,

character_record Joan, female, age 32, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Tommy, male, age 12, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record James, male, age 11, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Anne, female, age 9, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record Gerald, male, age 7, alive, never_a_leader

relative Thomas, Joan, Tommy, James, Anne, Gerald, end
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; October 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM.

KINGMAKER, The Board Game.

Because we are not following up with Roz' scripting plans or faction preferences, the initial sandbox function for this mod will be mapped directly in line to the Kingmaker board game. Thus, the NEW factions list will be:

Audley
    Beaufort
    Berkeley
    Bourchier
    Clifford
    Courtenay
    Cromwell
    Fitzalan
    Grey
    Greystoke
    Hastings
    Herbert
    Holland
    Howard
    Lancater
    Mowbray
    Neville
    Percy
    Pole
    Roos
    Scrope
    Stafford
    Stanley
    Talbot
    York

Possibly with transferable Ancillaries with significant benefits consisting of:
    Margaret of Anjou
    Edmund of Rutland
    George of Clarence
    Edward of March
    Richard of York
    Richard of Gloucester

And the nations apart from England will still be:

Ireland
    Scotland
    France
    Burgundy

This is aesthetically in line with Rozenov's original inspiration, and is not too different from what had already been completed.

Everything is being rewritten to account for these factions, with complete renaming in all files and lists.
    Much has been accomplished this past week, including new faction shields for the UI. From MY standpoint, things are looking hopeful, as I have narrowed down the mods functions to scripting tools and tricks that I know how to use. (It means a great deal to know exactly how you're going to get everything done.)
    The only exception to this is packaging the mod for distribution. Learning that will be a task I'll need to get through if nobody else steps forward to help before I finish with my list.

I will be going on a business trip in November, but am taking a packet of material with me to continue with the hand drawn graphics while I am away.

Meanwhile, GeMiNi][SaNDy has been supplied with the final list of troops to be used, and is proceeding with modelling as time permits. Hopefully he will be able to share some progress screens while I'm out of the country, doing more of the custom UI art.

Now if ONLY someone would pay me $200 per day to finish this (my rate), I could tell my clients to sit and wait and prolly have this thing done in one or two week.
    So YES, proceeding without Roz is a blow, but the Mod is definitely not dead.
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; October 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    Thank you. Sadly Roz doesn't seem to have returned to see your feedback. Also, without Roz, we are rebuilding the factions list and characters. (More on that later.)

But do you think you could supply us with an informed Faction Summary to use for Ireland, and a short list of Leader-Family-and non-Family Nobles to populate it with?
    I'll see what I can do kind of pinned down with work at the mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    And the nations apart from England will still be:
    Ireland
    rename that to The Lordship of Ireland. The fluid political situation and feudal system allowed a significant amount of practical autonomy for the Hiberno-Norman nobility, who carved earldoms out for themselves and had almost as much authority as some of the native Gaelic kings. The period was brought to a close by the creation of theKingdom of Ireland in 1542

Corbeau's Avatar Civis

Ah back again with permanent internet access. Hope everyone's well.

I remember you mentioning your sculpting before, username definitely makes sense now...

Excellent stuff, I think I used some of the Perry greens in my reference guide, now sadly gone too. I don't suppose you still have my music folder do you?

All looking good, liking that French full harness video, I've briefly worn full harness and as you say mobility limitations are relatively minimal
    Last edited by Corbeau; October 26, 2014 at 08:30 AM.

Corbeau's Avatar Civis

In terms of households / factions above, one key faction that seems to be missing is de Vere / Oxford - perhaps the most significant Lancastrian/Tudor supporter overall.

If a candidate is needed for replacement I'd suggest Berkeley
    Last edited by Corbeau; October 26, 2014 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbeau View Post
    In terms of households / factions above, one key faction that seems to be missing is de Vere / Oxford - perhaps the most significant Lancastrian/Tudor supporter overall.

If a candidate is needed for replacement I'd suggest Berkeley
    Yes, I wonder why Oxford was left out of Kingmaker. Would de Vere offer a larger family at the start that would Berkeley?

I can do the unit stats if you don't have someone already. I hope Rozanov comes back. You should exchange email addresses with him.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    I can do the unit stats if you don't have someone already. I hope Rozanov comes back. You should exchange email addresses with him.
    I'll see about sending you the EDU and some notes before I fly out of here.

EDIT* Here is the EDU as given to our modeler, with a brief summary of all of the units this mod should have when done. Different names are described, and some of the units have notes beside them in the edu itself. The edu unit entries themselves have been altered slightly. Mostly just having their factions associations removed, to be replaced with the new one.

Thanks for the help!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=4127
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; October 31, 2014 at 05:16 PM.

Here is the 3rd tier armour - full plate. Any progress with the installer? Simple copy the entire mod folder and upload somewhere should be good enough.

Men-at-Arms

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by GeMiNi][SaNDy View Post
    Here is the 3rd tier armour - full plate. Any progress with the installer? Simple copy the entire mod folder and upload somewhere should be good enough.

Men-at-Arms

Sandy
    THOSE ARE AMAZING. Wow.

As for uploading the whole kit and kaboodle, that folder weighs in at 2.20GB.

sorry pinned down with work.
    these are two great books for irish units
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

also sum photos of the famous Irish Galloglass at this stage

and here's sum other photo's.

Last edited by PhilipO'Hayda; November 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM.

stoogeofstooges's Avatar Decanus

Sandy are those units going to be in your unit pack for DLV?

DURING THE WARS OF THE ROSES (1413-1485)

Henry V., who ascended the throne in 1418, was so engrossed with France that he gave hardly any attention to Ireland; so that there was little or no change in Irish affairs during his reign; and there was strife everywhere.Matters at last looked so serious that in 1414 the king sent over an able and active military rnan as lord lieutenant, Sir John Talbot Lord Furnival, subsequently earl of Shrewsbury, who became greatly distinguished in the French wars. He made a vigorous circuit round the Pale, and reduced O'Moore, Mac Mahon, O'Hanlon, and O'Neill. But this brought the Palesmen more evil than good; for the relief was only temporary; and when the brilliant exploits were all over he subjected them, in violation of the Statute of Kilkenny, to coyne and livery, having no other way of paying his soldiers. No sooner had he left than the Irish resumed their attacks, and for years incessantly harried and worried the miserable Pales-men, except indeed when kept quiet in some small degree by the payment of black rent. The accession of Henry VI, in 1422, made no improvement in the country, which continued to be everywhere torn by strife. Ireland was now indeed, and for generations before and after, in a far worse condition than at any time under native management, even during the anarchical period after the battle of Clontarf.The people of the Pale probably fared neither better nor worse than those of the rest of the country. But to add to their misfortunes, there arose, about the time of the king's accession, a deadly quarrel between the Butlers, headed by the carl of Ormond, and the Talbots, headed by Richard Talbot archbishop of Dublin and his brother Lord Furnival, who came twice again to Ireland as lord lieutenant. This feud was so violent that it put a stop to almost all government business for many years.

Meantime in 1423 the Irish of Ulster made a terrible raid on Louth and Meath, defeated the army sent against them, and carried off great booty; till at last the inhabitants had to buy peace by agreeing to pay black rent.
    In 1449 Richard Plantagenet duke of York, a prince of the royal blood and heir to the throne of England, was appointed lord lieutenant for ten years. He won the affections of the Irish both of native and English descent, treating them with fairness and consideration.. In an act of parliament of this time we have a frightful picture of the condition of the colonists of the Pale. In time of harvest companies of the soldiers were in the habit of going with their wives, children, servants, and friends, sometimes to the number of a hundred, to the farmers' houses, eating and drinking, and paying for nothing. They robbed and sometimes killed the tenants and husbandmen; and their horses were turned out to graze in the meadows and in the ripe corn, ruining all the harvest.. The parliament held by the duke in 1449, asserted for the first time the independence of the Irish legislature: that they had a right to a separate coinage, and that they were absolutely free from all laws except those passed by the lords and commons of Ireland.. The duke had not been in Ireland for more than a year when Jack Cade's rebellion broke out; on which he went to England in 1451 to look after his own interests.. For the past century and a half the English kings had been so taken up with wars in France, Scotland, and Wales, that they had little leisure to attend to Ireland. Accordingly we have seen the Irish encroaching, the Pale growing smaller, and the people of the settlement more oppressed and more miserable year by year.But now about this time—1454—began in England the tremendous struggle between the houses of York and Lancaster, commonly known as the Wars of the Roses, which lasted for about thirty years, and during which the colony fared worse than ever. The Geraldines sided with the house of York, and the Butlers with the house of Lancaster; and they went to England with many others of the Anglo-Irish to take part in the battles. Then the Irish rose up everywhere, overran the lands of the settlers, and took back whole districts. The Pale became smaller than ever, till it included only the county Louth and about half those of Dublin Meath and Kildare. At one time not more than 200 men could be got together to defend it.The duke of York was at last defeated at the battle of Wakefield in 1460, where fell a great part of the Anglo-Irish nobility and gentry; and he himself was taken and beheaded on the battlefield. The very next year, however—1461—witnessed the triumph of the Yorkists; and the duke's eldest son was proclaimed king of England as Edward IV., the first king of the house of York.. The Geraldines, both of Desmond and Kildare, were now in high favour, while the Butlers were in disgrace. These two factions enacted a sort of miniature of the Wars of the Roses in Ireland. In 1462 they fought a battle at Pilltown in Kilkenny, where the Butlers were defeated and 400 or 500 of their men killed. As a curious illustration of how completely these Anglo-Irish families had adopted the Irish language and customs, it is worthy of mention that the ransom of Mac Richard Butler, who had been taken prisoner in the battle, was two Irish manuscripts, the Psalter of Cashel and the Book of Carrick. A fragment of the Psalter of Cashel is still preserved in the Bodleian Library in Oxford, and in one of its pages is written a record of this transaction. Thomas the eighth earl of Desmond—the Great Earl as he was called—was appointed lord deputy, in 1463, under his godson the young duke of Clarence, the king's brother, who though appointed lord lieutenant, never came to Ireland. Desmond was well received by the Irish of both races. His love for learning is shown by the fact that he founded the college of Youghal, which was richly endowed by him and his successors; also a university in Drogheda; but this latter project fell to the ground for want of funds.. The Irish parliament passed an act in 1465 that every Irishman dwelling in the Pale was to dress and shave like the English, and take an English surname:—from some town as Trim, Sutton, Cork; or of a color as Black, Brown; or of some calling, as Smith, Carpenter, etc., on pain of forfeiture of his goods. Another and more mischievous measure forbade ships from fishing in the seas of Irish countries, because the dues went to make the Irish people prosperous and strong. But the worst enactment of all was one providing that it was lawful to decapitate thieves found robbing "or going or coming anywhere" unless they had an Englishman in their company. And whoever did so, on bringing the head to the mayor of the nearest town, was licensed to levy a good sum off the barony.This put it in the power of any evil-minded person to kill the first Irishman he met, pretending he was a thief, and to raise money on his head. This indeed was not the intention of the legislators; the act was merely a desperate attempt to keep down marauders who swarmed at this time all through the Pale.. With all the earl of Desmond's popularity he was unable to restore tranquillity to the distracted country. He was defeated in open fight in 1466 by his own brother-in-law O'Conor of Offaly, who took him prisoner and confined him in Carbury castle in Kildare; from which however he was rescued in a few days by the people of Dublin. Neither was he able to prevent the septs from ravaging the Pale.
    . The Great Earl was struck down in the midst of his career by an act of base treachery under the guise of law. He was first replaced in 1467 by John Tiptoft earl of Worcester—"the Butcher" as he was called from his cruelty—who came determined to ruin him. Acting on the secret instructions of the queen, he caused the earls of Desmond and Kildare to be arrested; and had them attainted for exacting coyne and livery, and for making alliance with the Irish, contrary to the Statute of Kilkenny. Desmond was at once executed; Kildare was pardoned; and "the Butcher" returned to England, where he was himself executed soon after.

Ireland's role
    http://neverfeltbetter.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/irelands-wars-roses-at-piltown/

Map of Ireland

Last edited by PhilipO'Hayda; November 11, 2014 at 04:31 PM.

Currently we have 3 levels of armour: padded, partial plate, full plate. These will improve and increase in variety when i start making the entire roster (i.e. swapping weapons and animations) with ideas coming. There is still plenty of space in texture files. So 3 main textures and 1 attachments for swords and such. I will also need a list with primary and secondary colors for each faction. Any drawings on tunics (roses) and such? I cannot proceed much further without having the entire mod on my drive. I will need to type in tons of text. Or, alternatively i can finish the entire thing on my end, and send to someone else to code in, but that is not ideal. I am also looking forward for k/t's work regarding unit balancing and such.

I noticed in some illustrations some helmets have round disks on sides. How accurate is that? Are men-at-arms and knights separate units? I believe they could have some stat differences, but in reality how different were they combat-wise and cost-wise? Was the system still feudal (free troops)? I am asking because i need to think of ways to make them look different. One option is to make men-at-arms look more plain than knights, but how accurate is that? We need to think of what is the full list of units and what weapons/animations they will be using. Men-at-arms can use swords or poleaxes, be on foot or mounted. Factions will end up being similar and different only in location. So i suggest to give variety in units (eventhough not accurate historically) for gameplay purposes. Also, is the EDU you sent me, Live2sculpt, final? I will make a list from it. I believe i will have more time during December, so i could camp for a week and get the entire thing done.

And there are still artillery models to be done. We might just use the vanilla pieces. In theory, however, new artillery models are easy to make.

stoogeofstooges, these knights are mid to late 15th century. DLV covers end of 12th and 13th century, which is way too far. I won't be including them in DLV. I am not sure about open source policy here at Blood and Roses. Let us release it first then we will see...

Sandy
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; November 13, 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Wouldn't knights have coats of arms on their...those cloths over the armour?

Feudal units get better armour, weapon and morale bonuses in RC, however, they have smaller units. They should also be recruited differently and have different upkeep.

k/t, on all illustrations knights or men-at-arms in general overwhelmingly have plate armour without coats. This is something specific to the late 15th century. However, for the sake of identification purposes on battlefield i plan to have 1-2 coats out of 6-7 variations. Each coat will consist of 2 colors - primary and secondary. This is a game after all, and gameplay should not be sacrificed for the sake of historical accuracy.

I like the approach of RC. And i believe feudal troops should have slower replenish rates, but come at little cost and be available at main settlement building (i.e. city walls or castle level). In 15th century professional armies were making up the bulk. These should have high upkeep and be recruited from barracks, which require development (investment into barrack upgrades). However accurate or inaccurate it is historically - the buildings and their development in M2TW are a big part of gameplay.

Sandy
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; November 15, 2014 at 12:30 AM.