Thread: [Sub Mod] Better AI Recruitment

Default [Sub Mod] Better AI Recruitment

This mod enhances the Campaign AI by building "better" melee based armies as well as improviing the faction specific recruitment behavior.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...anilla-Rome-II

All Credit belongs to Litharion for creating this mod.

Default Re: [Sub Mod] Better AI Recruitment

I been playing with this mod and I can vouch for it. AI armies only field 3 or 4 missile units on a 20 unit stack. Small factions also field as many elite units in one army as posible. I am playing on normal battle difficulty again ( I was playing on hard battle diff) after this mod started bearing fruits

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdrakelive View Post
    I been playing with this mod and I can vouch for it. AI armies only field 3 or 4 missile units on a 20 unit stack. Small factions also field as many elite units in one army as posible. I am playing on normal battle difficulty again ( I was playing on hard battle diff) after this mod started bearing fruits
    It seems like especially the early game is much harder with DeI and Better AI Recruitment than I was expecting it to be.

I started a campaign as Rome and noticed that since this mod an Etruscan general is just sitting outside of Arminium now for some 7 turns and he's "recruiting" but no units ever appear to be recruited....This has made the Etruscans completely void. They have no armies whatsoever now.

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1 View Post
    I started a campaign as Rome and noticed that since this mod an Etruscan general is just sitting outside of Arminium now for some 7 turns and he's "recruiting" but no units ever appear to be recruited....This has made the Etruscans completely void. They have no armies whatsoever now.
    I will try to replicate this and fix it if it is caused by my mod. Are you using any other CAI modifications like DuBs Superior CAI alongside DeI ?

Thank you for reporting this and sorry for the mistake I made . I will release a fix.
    Last edited by Litharion; February 24, 2014 at 05:02 PM.

No, just DEI and your mod plus the thorax swordsman fix. I started another campaign as Rome to see and they did it yet again. The general just goes to Arminium and tries recruiting. I took Arminium in hopes that maybe it was being in that settlement, but still in Aretium they could not.

it should work like this with the newest fix for patch 4. The Steam version is already updated, the TWcenter version will follow soon.

active etruscans

For the time being I think I will start a campaign as another faction and not use the hotfix, so as to aid in Romes expansion, as they usually fall fairly early on. You've inadvertently helped that problem.

Dear lord, this submod makes the early game brutal! Suddenly you have to carefully think about every war you get into, as with this and forced march removed, the AI is actually quite intelligent and aggressive. Suddenly having two full stacks of Antigonidai show up on your doorstep at Larissa playing as Sparta can put a damper in your plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmcm13 View Post
    Dear lord, this submod makes the early game brutal! Suddenly you have to carefully think about every war you get into, as with this and forced march removed, the AI is actually quite intelligent and aggressive. Suddenly having two full stacks of Antigonidai show up on your doorstep at Larissa playing as Sparta can put a damper in your plans.
    Maybe itīs a little too hard but the goal is to make AI army compositions capable of beating player armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexmcm13 View Post
    The Macedonians actually attacking Hellas? I've only ever seen Athens and Sparta wipe them out...

Quote Originally Posted by Litharion View Post
    Maybe itīs a little too hard but the goal is to make AI army compositions capable of beating player armies.
    Not too difficult at all, I often see that some armies composition is a lot of weak spear/melee units actually....

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1 View Post
    The Macedonians actually attacking Hellas? I've only ever seen Athens and Sparta wipe them out...

Not too difficult at all, I often see that some armies composition is a lot of weak spear/melee units actually....

A big problem is that the AI never disbands old units. Some factions have their starting armies with levy spearmen 100+ turns into your campaign if they havenīt fought wars and especially eastern faction [e.g. Eastern Satraps, Caucasians, Cappadocia] have a very poor choice of units early one. The only option is Eastern Spearmen or Slingers without barracks. With DeI it takes 4 turns until the tier I barrack is ready witch means at least 4*3 units of Eastern Spearmen or Slingers.

I've really enjoyed this submod with .75, thanks for the efforts. Will it be compatible (or included with?) DeI .8 or does it include Lua scripting that we were warned to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by 12oz Jesus View Post
    I've really enjoyed this submod with .75, thanks for the efforts. Will it be compatible (or included with?) DeI .8 or does it include Lua scripting that we were warned to avoid?
    Some parts of Better AI Recruitment will be included. I will make an expanded DeI only version of the mod for 0.8. No Lua scripting btw.

Please note: If you run DeI 0.8 using Better AI Recruitment is not necessary anymore. I will continue the mod for vanilla. Better AI Recruitment still works with the DeI steam version. But it will not work as intended with the DeI standalone version from twcenter. All in all I recommend to not use it with DeI 0.8.
    Last edited by Litharion; March 05, 2014 at 06:34 PM.