Thread: Exploded Man Syndrome with 3ds Max 2014

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

Default Exploded Man Syndrome with 3ds Max 2014

Greetings all, just began to model for M2TW after the long break from RTW, so I am ignorant as to how Milkshape formats handles things.

Long story short, ms3dImportExport_ver1_1 was fine with importing the models and exporting just the geometries, but trying to export the completed models was a whole other issue as seen in the screenshots. I also tried to export the model with the 1.3 version of the script to no avail.

A quick re-import using the same scripts revealed that all the vertices were now weighed to different bones.

Any ideas? I have attached the .max version of the models which were weighed properly.
    Last edited by Medusa0; February 26, 2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Issue resolved, removed all but one picture for example

Default Re: Exploded Man Syndrome with 3ds Max 2014

It looks like Jesus syndrom. If i'm right in your model lacks some comments to some parts of model. Check carefuly your model.

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

This is interesting, all the meshes have comments in the form of key/value format (viewable on right click on mesh, Object Properties, User Defined tab). The only things that do not have them are the bones themselves. I will try working with the bones then.

Thanks for the lead!

Edit: Hmmmmm, nope, it seems like the export process removes all comments from the bones. I did notice that there is a pattern to the re-assignment that stays the same no matter what - example: vertices assigned to bone_RThigh are reassigned to bone_LThigh, bone_Lclavical to bone_abs, etc.. The primary weapons (guns) are not affected, although the secondary weapons (swords) do hover 1 metre higher than they are supposed to when the unit charges.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Medusa0; February 19, 2014 at 06:37 PM.

I'm not sure if you get me (or, maybe, i don't get you ). I told you about comments for groups of shapes - not joints.

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

Apologies, I am just confused about the extra steps and precautions that we must take to convert stuff from 3ds Max to Milkshape (The forced change from Max 2010 to 2014 does not help either).

Anyway, if I am understanding you correctly, does the "comments" on the mesh look something like:
    Code:
    grouptype = Body
    groupflag = 0
    There are six meshes in the models here, four for the weapons, one for the upper body, and one for the lower body, all of them have something resembling the above text.

It does sound like there should be more to the commenting process though.

Edit: Just attempted an import/export of an unedited model with the 1.3 version of the script, it imported alright, although trying to re-import the model after the export yielded the same results as the top post. Maybe the initial import destroyed the comments?
    Last edited by Medusa0; February 20, 2014 at 07:14 PM.

I don't know 3dmax, but comments in milkshape look completly different.

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

Well, despite of the above setbacks I have managed to get the units done, attached here are the final results.

To those that may be curious to how it worked out, I used the tool provided by johnwhile to get around the export to ms3d bugs: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-of-GOAT-tool