Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The White Horse (Hanover AAR) Updated Dec 24

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default The White Horse (Hanover AAR) Updated Jan 8

Chapter 17: Reminders

“Have you heard, Hans,” Gustav said as they walked the streets of Vienna, “the Elector and the Prussian king are on their way here.”

“I’ve heard,” Hans replied as he adjusted his crutch. The doctor said that it had been a clean break and should heal if he rested well. For the past four weeks, Hans followed the doctor’s advice. The leg had healed pretty nicely and there was little to no chance of him developing a limp. He still needed the crutch to walk around with as his leg was weak from weeks of no use but he would be on his own two feet soon.

“Pretty hard not to know with all the decorating they have been doing over the past two weeks. These Prussians arrived from Berlin and started getting things in order around the city with the same efficiency their army is known for. The king and Elector should be here in a about a week, right?”

“That’s what their saying,” replied Gustav. “It should be a grand affair. And we have to look our best. Hopefully, you’ll be able to walk around without that infernal crutch.”

Hans laughed. “I hope so, friend. I hope so. There is one thing you can be certain about. The people of this city won’t like this one bit.”

The citizens of Vienna while they hadn’t risen in open rebellion; there were rumors of rebels gathering in the countryside. Austrian rebels had surfaced in Moravia but they were quickly taken care of by a new Hanoverian general sent to help end the war with Austria, Ernst Feld.

The battle was a small one but many worried the news of Austrian rebels active in Moravia might encourage others like it. Thus far, the Hanoverian soldiers in Vienna had not been able to substantiate the rumors but they were keen to keep it that way. Patrols were increased and checkpoints established throughout the region.

Vienna was thought to be safe with the garrison present there so Hans and Gustav walked the streets with little worry but took care to remain on the main streets. Today, they were headed to the market to see if they could purchase some fresh meat since they had cooked the remaining the night before.

“So what should we get, Gustav? Beef?”

“Hmm. Maybe. Make a nice stew-”

Suddenly, a woman rushed at Gustav. He was caught off guard by her charge and she pushed him up against the side of a fence screaming at the top of her lungs.

“MURDERER! MURDERER!”

Gustav was about to push her away but one look at her face and his eyes opened wide with terror. It was the woman who had pleaded with him not to kill her husband when they had taken the city. The strength left his arms and fell to his sides. His legs buckled underneath him and he would have fallen to the ground if not for the woman pressing him against the fence behind him.

“YOU KILLED HIM! MURDERER! MAY YOU SOULD BE DAMNED AND YOU ROT IN HELL!!!”

Gustav’s body began to shake all over and the moment when he brought down his sword and took her husband’s life flashed before his eyes. He tried to open his mouth to say something but no words escaped his shaking mouth.

“Come now! Get off him!” After recovering from surprise, Hans dropped his crutch and grabbed the woman around his waist and pulled her away from Gustav. She was wailing and flailing her arms at Gustav as he sank to the ground. The commotion drew the attention of others nearby and a crowd began to gather.

“Are they assaulting that woman?”

“Bastards, think they can get away with anything.”

“Take our city and kill our sons and it isn’t enough for them. They’ll all rot in hell.”

Thankfully, before things got too out of hand, some patrolling soldiers came over to investigate.

“What’s going on here?” one of soldiers asked as they came running up. “Did this woman assault your friend?”

“Assault his friend?” someone in the crowd shouted. “They assaulted her!”

“Nothing, sir,” Hans said still holding the wailing woman. “Just a woman stricken with grief. As soon as she calms down I’ll make she gets home.”

“Sister?!” A man came running out of a store and grabbed her from Hans. “Get your hands off her!!!”

“I was just-”

“You’ve done enough!” he shouted at Hans and then led his weeping sister away. The soldiers quickly broke up the remaining crowd and then came back to Hans who was picking up his crutch.

“Got to be carefully around here. They’re still angry and I can’t blame them. I would be too…where’s your friend?”

Hans turned around. Gustav was gone.

“Gustav!” Hans shouted as he looked up and down the street. “Gustav!”
    Last edited by Scottish King; January 09, 2015 at 08:56 AM.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The White Horse (Hanover AAR) Updated Jan 8

Reminders indeed - a powerful chapter with excellent use of previous events! I'm happy to see this story moving on. I'd really like to know what will happen to Hans and Gustav next.

No not another cliffhanger! I need to know where Gustav has gone!

For some strange reason I read the chapter title for Reindeers and was like "Its been two weeks since Christmas, is Scottish King still hungover from the eggnog?" But alas no, it was 'Reminders' which made more sense but wasn't as exciting as 'reindeers'!

The leg had healed pretty nicely and there was little to no chance of him developing a limb.
    I had a chuckle at that. I'm fairly sure you meant limp. I don't think there's any chance of him developing another limb!

Interesting to see Gustav's action during the battle come back to haunt him. I hope we get to see this develop further.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Reminders indeed - a powerful chapter with excellent use of previous events! I'm happy to see this story moving on. I'd really like to know what will happen to Hans and Gustav next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    No not another cliffhanger! I need to know where Gustav has gone!

For some strange reason I read the chapter title for Reindeers and was like "Its been two weeks since Christmas, is Scottish King still hungover from the eggnog?" But alas no, it was 'Reminders' which made more sense but wasn't as exciting as 'reindeers'!

I had a chuckle at that. I'm fairly sure you meant limp. I don't think there's any chance of him developing another limb!
    Quote Originally Posted by IneptCmdr View Post
    Interesting to see Gustav's action during the battle come back to haunt him. I hope we get to see this develop further.
    Thanks for the support guys! I fixed that mistake too MoV! I'll have a update soon!

Content Emeritus

Chapter 18: Guilt

Gustav ran through the streets of Vienna like a mad man, tears streaming down his face, the killing of the woman’s husband playing over and over in his mind. He ran till his legs burned and his lungs screamed for air. Turning into a side alley, he collapsed into a heap and continued weeping. After what seemed like hours, or perhaps it was hours, Gustav stop crying and tried to sit up but he couldn’t. It was as if his guilt had become a physical thing that was trying to crush him. He burst into tears again. He had killed men before in battle but that man had no longer been a threat. Gustav drew his legs into his chest and wrapped his arms around them. He wasn’t a soldier anymore. He was a murderer.

-------

“Here’s another one,” Gustav heard just before he got a hard kick in the back. “Get up drunk!”

Gustav jerked with pain and quickly rolled over. He found himself looking up a soldier of the Hanoverian army and past him he could see the night sky. He realized that he must have cried himself to sleep.

“I’m-I’m not drunk.”

“Then what are you doing laying out here in this alley. Get back to your quarters before I report you. That is no way for a soldier to act.”

Gustav flinched. He was no soldier. Not anymore.

Gustav got off the ground followed the soldier out of the alley. He realized he was no longer in a part of the city he was familiar with. He asked the soldier for directions and set off on the long walk back to his room and Hans. Thoughts kept entering his head along the way. Didn’t soldiers kill for a living? Killing that man did not make him a murderer. By killing him he probably stopped other people from being killed. Who’s to say if the man had gotten better he wouldn’t have joined a rebel group and killed some Hanoverian soldiers, maybe even himself or Hans? But no matter what or how he reasoned, he felt no better. The guilt was still there gnawing at his soul.

Gustav finally began to recognize where in the city he was. He wasn’t far from his quarters now. Gustav came to stop on the sidewalk. Hans would be there and would demand an answer for the events of that afternoon. Gustav didn’t want to have explain it to him. But he had to go back at some point, however, there was a stop he had to make first.

------

The fence was just as he remembered on the day of the battle except now it was stained slightly with blood that could be just be seen in the darkness. Gustav leaned onto the fence his eyes looking in the windows of the house. Someone was still up as there was a light coming from the downstairs window. He had been standing there for at least 15 minutes trying to gather the courage to walk to the door and knock. He felt he had to do this or he would never have peace.

Taking a deep breath, he opened the gate to the fence and walked towards the door. With each step, the door to the seemed to be getting further and further away. His footfalls began to sound louder with each step and his heart began to race in his chest. It seemed as if the darkness of the night was closing in on him and his shoulders felt as if a heavy weight had been placed on them. Gustav began to gasp for breath, struggling to continue forward. He glanced at his hands. They were covered in blood. NO, thought Gustav and he closed his eyes and clenched his jaw. After a few moments, he opened them again to find himself standing in front of the door. He looked down at his shaking hands. They were normal. He closed his eyes again and took a deep breath.

Opening them again, he raised his hand and knocked on the door…

Default Re: The White Horse (Hanover AAR) Updated Jan 22

I like how you explored Gustav's guilt and the blood on his hands was a nice touch. This is slowly becoming a truly extraordinary AAR.

I agree with Merchant of Venice. I look forward to finding out what guilt will do to Gustav - will he become a better person or a worse one?

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I like this. I like your characters, in particular. I, too, am interested in finding out what will become of Gustav; I wonder if he will be able to remain a soldier for long (or at all) after his experiences. And I'm a little bit concerned about what's about to happen to him once the door of the house opens.

I like this AAR very much. It's easy to read your updates because, although they are intense and evocative, they aren't too long. I've enjoyed reading them. Thank you, I'll await for your next update.

P.S. I apologize for my bad English, I'm from Spain.

Content Emeritus

Thank you guys so much. It was through your encouragement that I decided to explore how Gustav had been affected.

Content Emeritus

Default The White Horse (Hanover AAR) Updated Feb 17 w/2 updates

Chapter 19: Coronation

Schiller looked out of his window to see the lines of people and soldiers in the streets as his carriage drove by. It was a beautiful, cold day. Fresh snow was on the ground and the air was clean and crisp. Some of the people were shouting and cheering, others stood in silence while glaring or crying sometimes both with others who booed and jeered as they rode past. The Prussian king and the Elector of Hanover were making their way to the St. Stephen Cathedral for Elector Georg’s coronation. This reason the coronation was to be held in Vienna and not in Hanover was Frederick wanted to show the Holy Roman Empire that he had beaten Leopold, the current emperor. Rumors had it that Leopold had flown into such a rage that he had begun foaming at the mouth when he heard what Frederick planned to do. He was supposedly going to do all in his power to stop the events of the day but Schiller doubted that there was anything he could do now.

“Quite a crowd, Herr Schiller, is it not?”

“Yes, my liege. Not the most welcoming one. I’m sure General Ketterer has it all under control.”

“I hope so. I certainly wouldn’t like to get killed before I become a princess.”

Schiller smiled and lowered his head a little. Luise Ulrike was the Elector’s daughter and his heir. She begged to come on this trip and the Elector not keen to say no to only child relented.

“A most beautiful princess at that and one that will be quite sought after after today.”

Luise blushed and grabbed her father’s hand. “Yes, she will be,” the Elector sighed. “I will have to find the right match for her. I can count on your help with that Herr Schiller?”

“Always, my liege. But now let us enjoy the day. There will be time later for us to discuss your daughter’s future.”

------

“What luck we have,” Hans said as he blew on his cold hands. “Guard duty on top of the wall. Why couldn’t we have been selected for duty in St. Stephens? Why, Gustav? Why?”

No answer came from Gustav. In fact, Gustav rarely spoke anymore. It had been a week since incident with the woman in the street. Gustav had disappeared for the entire day after that. Hans had searched the streets of Vienna for as long as he could on his crutches but he soon grew tired and had returned to their quarters. Describing the incident to some other soldiers in their regiment when he returned, Hans learned what Gustav had done. Hans remembered how he felt when he had bayonetted a teenager in Silesia and wished Gustav had spoken of it before. It was something that if you allowed it to could consume you. Hans had dealt with it in his own way. It wasn’t easy. It wasn’t as if he could forget the event but he had followed the Winking Soldier’s advice and accepted what had happened and tried to move on. Hans suspected that perhaps Gustav had tried to avoid dealing with what he was feeling and when he was confronted by the woman he could no longer avoid them and it broke him. When Gustav returned the next morning he said nothing of where he had been and refused to talk to anyone unless he had to. The funny, sometimes annoying friend Gustav had once been had been replaced by a hollow shell of man.

The another day, while on top of the city wall, Hans saw Gustav throw the sword he had obtained in Vienna over the wall, muttering that it was covered in blood though it was as clean as a sword could be. But perhaps he hadn’t been talking in a literal sense, Hans thought as he looked over at his friend staring who was staring at the horizon. The sword was indeed bloody from all the men it had killed. So were their muskets. And their muskets were an extension of themselves…

Hans snapped out of his thoughts as a shout went up coming from the direction of the cathedral. “They should be almost done,” Hans said to Gustav hoping to start a conversation. “I don’t know if I can-”

“Look.”

Hans followed Gustav’s raised hand. To see a horse galloping at full speed down the road to the city gates.

“Probably late for the ceremony.”

“No,” Gustav said in a somber voice, “he brings death.”

------

Emperor Frederick lowered the crown onto the Georg’s head. “Now rise, King of Hanover.” The cathedral exploded with applause as Georg rose to his feet. This was one of the happiest days of Schiller’s life. All the hard work he had put into getting his Elector crowned had come to fruition. What more could a man of his station ask for.

Suddenly, a soldier quickly rushed to General Ketterer’s side and whispered something into his ear. A look of alarm spread over his face and he quickly whispered something in the soldier’s ear and made his exit. Luise seeing the whole thing, turned to Schiller as the sounds of whispering coming began to come from the crowd.

“What’s going on, Herr Schiller?”

“I don’t know, your highness but I think we will soon find out.”

The soldier who had brought the message was now speaking to the captain of Frederick’s ceremonial guard who nodded his head in acknowledgement and gave a signal to his men. Then he made an announcement that all were to leave the cathedral immediately and in an orderly fashion with his men leading the way out. Then cathedral erupted into loud conversation as everyone speculated as to what was going on as they were ushered out of the cathedral. The captain of the guard then whispered something into Frederick’s ear who simply smiled and nodded. Schiller and Luise made their way to where King Georg now stood talking with the soldier bearing the message.

“What is it your majesty,” Schiller asked as he walked up.

“There has been an attack on one of Ketterer’s checkpoints. Thousands of rebels are headed for the city. We are under attack.”
    Last edited by Scottish King; February 17, 2015 at 11:32 PM.

Content Emeritus

Default The White Horse (Hanover AAR) Updated Feb 17 w/2 updates

Chapter 20: Rebellion

“I’m not sure how your general let so big a force assemble right under his nose. No Prussian general would have allowed this. He should be punished.”

Schiller cringed at the newly proclaimed Frederick’s words. Such criticism, while it may have been merited, bordered on disrespect.

“I’m sure Ketterer is doing his best,” Georg replied. “He did take Vienna in the first place.”

“If this is his best, I’d hate to see his worst. After seeing your man and troops in action today, we’ll see how good he really is.”

The Prussian king and his entourage had decided that they would accompany Ketterer and his army to the field of battle urging that Georg come as well. While Schiller accompanied his king, Luise had been sent away to safety along with everyone else who had come to see the coronation, though some decided to witness the battle instead.

“You feeling alright, your majesty.”

“Yes, Herr Schiller, just a pain in my left arm is all. I hope this battle goes well.”

“So do I. So do I…”

------

“So the Elector…King has come to see us fight,"Gustav said with such bitterness Hans turned to look at him. He glanced back to where Gustav had been looking and saw a crowd of observers. “And he’s brought good ol’ Freddy with him. Oh look, the other snotty aristocrats are here to. It seems we have an audience.”

“Gustav-” Hans started. The enemy was coming right at them and he and Gustav were in the front rank. They needed to be focused on the battle ahead.

“Just like the gladiators of old we’re nothing but entertainment for kings and rich men,” Gustav said cutting Hans off. “War is nothing but a sport for them to enjoy while we die for their selfish interests. But perhaps those who die are the lucky ones.

“Gustav, stop talking like that.”

“No, its true Hans. We’re the unlucky ones. Here we are alive to kill and bury the dead yet again! Oh, Hans how I wish this were over!”

Now the soldiers near Hans and Gustav were listening intently to Gustav.

“Death. Is it really that bad, Hans? Perhaps I’ll get lucky and die right here. “I’ll…”

“Now stop it!” A strong hand grasped Gustav’s shoulder. Hans turned to see that it belonged to the Winking Soldier. “Keep your stupidity to yourself. If you want to get yourself killed then by all means do so. But do not infect your comrades with the same sentiment! Do you understand,” the Winking soldier said as he tightened his grip causing Gustav to wince in pain.

“Quiet in the ranks!” shouted the sergeant and the Winking Soldier let go of Gustav’s shoulder. Hans turned back forward to see that the enemy were almost on them.

“Ready!” shouted their sergeant. Hans quickly readied his musket.

“Aim.”

Hans lifted his musket and took aim. His heart was pounding in his chest.

“Perhaps I’ll get lucky today,” Hans heard Gustav say under his breath

“Fire!!!”

Hans fired his musket. Their first volley saw a lot of Austrian rebels fall. Now Hans quickly began reloading his musket as the second line of men fired a volley. The Austrians had stopped now. They were about to fire. Shots rang out. Hans closed his eyes expecting to be hit by a ball or the oblivion that came with death. Instead, he heard something fall to his right. Hans opened his eyes to see the soldier next to him had been shot dead. He quickly continued loading his musket. The words that Gustav had been saying before were ringing in his ears. Bastard, Hans thought as he fired again.

As Hans began loading his musket again, he glanced over at Gustav whose unshaking hands were reloading his musket again. Hans looked up to see the Austrian rebels charging at them. Hans steadied his arm, took a deep breath and fired. His target fell causing the man behind him to trip and fall. As another volley from the Hanoverian line pierced the air and more Austrians fell, the rebels kept coming and soon both sides were involved in close quarter fighting.

Hans lunged forward and caught his man in the stomach. He was about to push the man off his bayonet when Gustav cracked the man over the head with his musket splitting it open. Hans jumped slightly as blood hit his face. Gustav kicked the man aside as he fell to the ground and with a shout of a madman sprung forward killing left and right. Hans slowly recovering from shock pulled his bayonet from the dead man and tried to pull Gustav back into the line but he was soon defending himself from another rebel.

As Hans pushed the rebel away, Gustav jumped back in place beside him all bloodied and sweating even though the air was cold. But it wasn’t the blood that made Hans’ own blood run cold. It was the smile on Gustav’s face.

------

“Well, pretty good work. I wonder how your general would do against a professional army,” Frederick said he watched the Austrian rebels routing.

“I’m sure he-” Schiller started when he noticed Georg breathing heavily.

“Are you alright, your majesty?”

“I’m-” Georg grabbed his chest then slid off his horse into the snow.

“Your majesty!” Schiller shouted as he jumped off his horse. “Your majesty! Somebody help me, please! Somebody! Help!!!”
    Last edited by Scottish King; February 17, 2015 at 11:24 PM.

Default Re: The White Horse (Hanover AAR) Updated Feb 17 w/2 updates

Dun, dun, dun!!!!!! Excellent writing, Gustav has really developed as a character and Hans and Gustav's relationship seems to be going through a difficult phase. It needs a bit of a proofread though, some errors here and there.

Brilliant action and drama! I agree with Merchant of Venice, the development of Gustav's character is excellent, I wonder what he needs to find redemption after the horrors that he has lived through - or will Gustav find joy only in killing?
    Last edited by Alwyn; February 21, 2015 at 11:16 AM.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Dun, dun, dun!!!!!! Excellent writing, Gustav has really developed as a character and Hans and Gustav's relationship seems to be going through a difficult phase. It needs a bit of a proofread though, some errors here and there.
    Thanks for reading. Was so eager to get the update up I didn't proofread well enough. Will make sure I do that from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Brilliant action and drama! I agree with Merchant of Venice, the development of Gustav's character is excellent, I wonder what he needs to find redemption after the horrors that he has lived through - or will Gustav find joy only in killing?
    Gustav's character development is surprising to me or rather the way he has developed. In my original thoughts for the story, Gustav would feel a bit bad but for the most part would remain the way he started out at least until later in the story. But when you guys said you were eager to see how Gustav would be affected by his actions I decided to take a chance as a writer and see if I could convincingly portray someone agonizing over what they've done and what they come out of the experience as. From what you guys have been saying it looks like I have. Now I'll have to try to find some way to develop Hans character since he is the main character . I'm going see if it happen naturally and hope before the story ends that Hans has developed in some way whether it be good or bad...

Content Emeritus

Have an update in the works but school is slowing me down. Ill try to get one up soon.

Content Emeritus

Finally able to update this! This update is a bit longer than the usual ones but is not too much. The next couple of updates will all be prose as I am setting the next stage of the story.

Content Emeritus

Chapter 21: Heading Home

Schiller stood over the coffin of his king. After the battle, the newly crowned king Georg had had a sudden heart attack. By the time Schiller got to him he was dead. The elation of the having won the battle was quickly turned into sorrow as word spread of the Georg’s death. The Hanoverian army marched back with their king laid carefully in a wagon and with downcast expressions returned back to Vienna. Luise had been quickly summoned. Upon seeing her dead father she collapsed on top of his body in a sobbing heap. Schiller tried to comfort her but to no avail. Her tears didn’t stop until she had cried herself to sleep.

That had been two days ago. The king’s body had been prepared for burial and Schiller quickly made arrangements to transport the body back to Hanover. He convinced Ketterer to lend him a couple of regiments, the 1st and 2nd Regiments, to accompany them on the trip back to Hanover. Word had been sent ahead of the king’s death along with instructions to prepare for their arrival back at the capital. Schiller placed his hand on the coffin of his king and his friend. “I’ll ensure that what you envisioned Hanover becoming does not die with you. I’ll do my best to guide Luise.” A tear rolled down Schiller’s cheek. “You died too soon old friend. Too soon.”

-------

“I always thought if we had been successful against the Austrians we would return to Hanover as heroes,” Hans said as he and the 1st and 2nd Regiments marched away from Vienna, “instead we return bearing our dead king.” Hans turned to look at Vienna’s walls one last time. There was no feeling of pride or even sadness. Only pain. For him the sight of the walls made the leg he had broken ache. There were others among them that had suffered injuries from flesh wounds to the loss of limbs but the worst off may have never been wounded physically but mentally. Their pain wasn’t physical but it hurt just as much if not worst. Hans saw it every time he looked into Gustav’s eyes. Hans glanced over at his longtime friend walking next to him. His face was always blank as his eyes stared at something no one else could see. He almost never spoke now and when he did it was either of death or madness. But Gustav was not the only one who had changed.

Hans had changed too. After his first battle, he could barely sleep as the cries of the wounded and dying and the face of a certain teenager haunted his dreams. After the last battle they had fought, they were no screams, no accusing faces. He had grown used to taking a life, life which he believed had been given to each individual by Almighty God and yet he could now take it away without a single thought. A shiver ran through Han’s body, from his own thoughts or from the chilly air he did not know. He had done what he had to do in order to survive. It was killed or be killed. For the moment, however, none of that mattered. They were headed away from the horrors of war. They were headed home.

-------

The party conveying the king’s body arrived at Berlin some weeks later. Frederick had arrived sometime earlier and had arranged for the king’s body to be kept safely in the city with a small Hanoverian guard while the rest of the Hanoverian troops remained camped outside the city walls. Frederick had also decided to travel with the party back to Hanover to crown Luise queen of Hanover. This was discussed in detail the night of their arrival in Berlin and it was decided that they begin traveling to Hanover the next day to get there as soon as possible. The discussion had run late into the night and Luise, who had been participating, eyelids began to become heavy.

“I assure you your majesty that your presence is not necessary for the rest of this meeting. We have finalized all the major concerns and just need to handle the minor details. You may leave, if you wish.”

“I think I will,” Luise said with a yawn. “Excuse me. You will fill me in in the morning, Herr Schiller?”

“Of, course your majesty. Good night.”

When she had left the room, a smile spread across Frederick’s face. “She’s a strong girl.”

“She is indeed.”

“Well,” Frederick said as he handed Schiller a letter, “I pray she does not falter. This arrived today. Read it.”

A puzzled look appeared on Schiller’s face, as he took the letter and read it to himself. As he read, his expression fell and his hands trembled ever so slightly.

“Are you-”

“Planning on supporting you?” Frederick said cutting off Schiller. “Yes. How and how much I will be able to is a different question.”

-------

Schiller silently opened the door to Luise’s room. The candle was still lit and on the edge of the bed sat Luise.

“Are you done, Herr Schiller? I couldn’t sleep…” She stopped after seeing the downcast expression on his face. “What’s the matter.”

Schiller silently walked over to Luise and sat next to her giving her the letter he received from Frederick earlier.

“I’m so sorry my dear for all that has happened to you. First, your father dies and now…this,” Schiller said motioning to the letter. “But you need to remain strong, determined and resolute for the trials that are about to come will pale in comparison to anything to you have ever faced before…”

Content Emeritus

Default Re: The White Horse (Hanover AAR) Updated May 19

Chapter 22: Threats

Luise took a deep breath as she stared at her reflection in her bedroom mirror. She had just returned from her father’s funeral. The citizens in the capital had lined the streets, paying their final respects to their elector and their King escorted by the 1st and 2nd Regiments now called the King’s Guard. Diplomats and statesmen had given her their condolences and wished her a happier future. A happier future. She knew the night Herr Schiller had handed her the letter that happy days would be far and few in between.

Herr Schiller had been against it but she insisted that the meeting occur today. Frederick, the Prussian king, had been surprised when Herr Schiller had told him but said that he would be there. The Swedish representative had been surprised too and after giving Luise a sly smile said he would be there too. Disrespectful Swedes. They didn’t even had the decency to wait till her father was in the ground before they began their political machinations. Herr Schiller said it was because she was young and inexperienced that the Swedes thought that could take advantage of her. It was the perfect time to push their claims

There was a knock on door. They were waiting for her. She took another deep breath and turned towards the door. The Swedes would be sorely disappointed.

-------

The room in which the meeting took place held many memories for Luise. She remembered being young and looking at the large bookshelves and wondered that there were so many books in the world. If she’d only had known. She had watched her father busy at the desk she now sat behind, sometimes deep into a new book his had obtained, arguing with local politicians or writing poetry which he never let any read besides her. Now she was behind the desk. She felt tears coming to her eyes but she held them back. She couldn’t cry now. Not in front of the four men in the room. At her shoulder stood Herr Schiller. Her father’s advisor and representative now her advisor and representative. Across from her and Herr Schiller sat Frederick and Erik Danielsson, the Swedish representative.

“Let me begin by saying, that his majesty, Charles XII, king of Sweden sends his condolences-”

“Let us forego the pleasantries, Herr Danielsson. Your king didn’t send his condolences, he sent me demands.”

“Well-”

“I’m not finished.”

Herr Danielson shifted uncomfortably in his chair glancing quickly at Herr Schiller and Frederick. On all their faces was a slight grin. If the Swede thought this was going to be easy he was clearly mistaken.

“Now I understand,” Luise continued, “that you want the territory of Bremen-Verden returned to the Swedish Empire.”

“Yes, ma’am-”

“Your majesty,” Luise injected.

“If I understand correctly,” Herr Danielsson countered, “you’re not queen yet.”

“But she will by this time tomorrow,” replied Frederick. “I all have to do is put a crown on her head. Address her as such.”

“Of course, your majesty,” Herr Danielsson said regaining his composure as he turned back to Luise. “Now the Swedish Empire is demanding the return of Bremen-Verden as you have said your majesty. Bremen-Verden was taken from us by the Danish in the last war and was turned over to you by us in the treaty that was forced upon us in unfavorable circumstances. As you well know we have recently acquired the Denmark though I hear the Danish king is still in exile somewhere in the North Atlantic ruling a small island who names no one seems to know.”

Herr Danielsson paused and smiled as Luise’s eyes narrowed. “My king feels that since Bremen-Verden belongs to the Sweden Empire rightfully it should be returned without incidence.”

“You think you can just come here and demand such a thing from us,” replied Herr Schiller. “Many Hanoverian lives were lost in the war against you. We gained that land from you and we are keeping it.”

“And to think that such a demand from Sweden would occur without protest of Prussia,” Frederick said leaning forward, “is ridiculous.”

“You protested,” Herr Danielsson said, “our invasion of Denmark and now it is ours. You can protest our acquisition of Bremen-Verden but the result will be the same: it will be ours.”

Frederick was fuming. Herr Danielsson turned back to Luise. “Give us Bremen-Verden and all will be well. We are willing to pay it that helps.”

“Pay?” inquired Herr Schiller. “How much?”

Herr Danielsson reached into his jacket and pulled out a slip of paper which he handed to Herr Schiller. Herr Schiller’s eyebrows rose as he looked at the sum. He handed it to Luise. Luise took the paper and looked at it. Then she tore it to pieces.

“What-”

“So your king thinks he can buy me like a whore in a whorehouse?”

“No, you misunderstand…”

“No, you misunderstand! I am the queen of Hanover! And as long as I am breathing you will not get one piece of land from me!”

Herr Danielsson slowly rose from his chair. “His majesty did not want it to come to this but if you refuse he has no choice but to threaten you with war.”

Frederick jumped to his feet. “What madness is this?!”

Herr Schiller cleared his throat. “I think we should all settled down and-”

“Then war it is then,” replied Luise. “Now get out.”

Herr Danielsson stood in silence for a moment staring into Luise’s eyes. Then he bowed to Frederick and walked out of the room with Herr Schiller running after him.

“Luise,” Frederick said, “you cannot go war with the Swedes. Prussia cannot supply you with troops. You must at least buy some time by using diplomacy first, see if there is a way you both can be walk away from this without there being war. Even if you recall your army from Vienna you cannot hope to stop the Swedes on your own.”

Luise sat back down in her chair and looked at the Hanoverian flag above the fireplace across the room. “Not as long as the white horse flies, your majesty. Not as long as the white horse flies…”

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast