Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I did the National genographic DNA test. Sharing the results.

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Default So I did the National genographic DNA test. Sharing the results.

National Genographic 2.0

I bought it for Christmas and sent in my samples early this year. I have now got the results, which I'll post about here in case anyone have thought about testing themselves or can tell me something more interesting about my results. It was about 120€ (Had a sale a week later, 50% off...) but I'm happy with it.

Also I could find almost no info of what this test would reveal, and how. So I am going to reveal some of the main points of my results to show you in case any of you have thought about doing this yourselves.

I got about 140 000 lines of base pairs from my DNA, but luckily they have made the information more available to me.

Firstly, they have compared my genome with reference populations in Denmark and Britain.

Regional comparison
    This information is determined from your entire genome so we’re able to see both parents’ information, going back six generations. Your percentages reflect both recent influences and ancient genetic patterns in your DNA due to migrations as groups from different regions mixed over thousands of years.

Seems I am quite close to both the British and Danish population. But with a bit more south-west Asian genes.

They also tested my relation to other human species:

Homo species

I can also see the migration path of my mothers and fathers ancestors.
    Mother's line

I have branch H2A1.
    Quote Originally Posted by H2A1
    Today, this line is most common in Scandinavia (Norway and Sweden)and on the Arabian Peninsula (Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates). It is also part of some Jewish Diaspora groups. In Europe, it is 2 to 3 percent of maternal lineages in Italy, Denmark, and Turkey.
    Who is a group of H2.
    Quote Originally Posted by H2
    From Central Asia, members of this lineage have spread to Europe and in more recent times across West Asia to the Arabian Peninsula.

Today, this line and its subtypes are 6 percent of the population of Denmark and 8 percent of the population of Norway. It is about 5 percent of maternal lineages in Slovakia. It is a striking 13 percent of maternal lineages in the United Arab Emirates.
    Who again is a part of HV.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Descending from haplogroup R were a group of individuals who formed a western Eurasian lineage. The descendants of pre-HV live in high frequencies in the Anatolian-Caucasus region and Iran. While members of this group can also be found in the Indus Valley near the Pakistan-India border, their presence is considered the result of a subsequent migration eastward of individuals out of the Near East.

Individuals in haplogroup pre-HV can be found all around the Red Sea and widely throughout the Near East. While this genetic lineage is common in Ethiopia and Somalia, individuals from this group are found at highest frequency in Arabia. Because of their close genetic and geographic proximity to other western Eurasian clusters, members of this group living in eastern Africa are the likely result of more recent migrations back into the continent.

As we have seen from haplogroups N and R, descendants from these western Eurasian lineages used the Near East as a home base of sorts, radiating from that region to populate much of the rest of the world. Their descendants comprise all of the western Eurasian genetic lineages, and about half of the eastern Eurasian mtDNA gene pool. Some individuals moved across the Middle East into Central Asia and the Hindus Valley near western India. Some moved south, heading back into the African homeland from where their ancestors had recently departed.

Haplogroup pre-HV is of particular importance because over the course of several thousand years, its descendants split off and formed their own group, called HV. This group—thanks in large part to a brutal cold spell that was about to set in—gave rise to the two most prevalent female lineages found in Western Europe.

While some descendants of these ancestral lineages moved out across Central Asia, the Indus Valley, and even back into Africa, your ancestors remained in the Near East. Descending from haplogroup pre-HV, they formed a new group, characterized by a unique set of mutations, called haplogroup HV.

Haplogroup HV is a west Eurasian haplogroup found throughout the Near East, including Anatolia (present-day Turkey) and the Caucasus Mountains of southern Russia and the republic of Georgia. It is also found in parts of East Africa, particularly in Ethiopia, where its presence there indicates recent Near Eastern gene flow, likely the result of the Arab slave trade over the last two millennia.

Much earlier, around 30,000 years ago, some members of HV moved north across the Caucasus Mountains and west across Anatolia, their lineages being carried into Europe for the first time by the Cro-Magnon. Their arrival in Europe heralded the end of the era of the Neanderthals, a hominid species that inhabited Europe and parts of western Asia from about 230,000 to 29,000 years ago. Better communication skills, weapons, and resourcefulness probably enabled them to outcompete Neanderthals for scarce resources. Importantly, some descendants of HV had already broken off and formed their own group, haplogroup H, and continued the push into Western Europe.

Today, members of this line are part of the populations of Europe, West Asia (including Anatolia), and the Caucasus Mountains of South Russia and the Republic of Georgia.

This lineage accounts for around 21 percent of maternal lineages in Armenia. It is about 8 percent of those in Turkey and about 5 percent of those in Croatia. Across much of Europe, this line is present at low frequencies of around 1 percent. This lineage accounts for about 7 percent of the population of both India in South Asia and the United Arab Emirates in West Asia.

Fathers forefathers

BRANCH: M253

When ice covered much of Europe, the cold and lack of food sources forced groups containing men from this lineage into refugia. It was from these refugia on the Iberian Peninsula, to the north of the Black Sea, and elsewhere, that members of this lineage emerged around 10,000 years ago.

Emerging from the refugia, groups expanded across Europe and back toward West Asia in successive waves. The highest frequencies of this lineage are in Scandinavian countries. This may be due to early founders during a time of extremely small settling population groups.

Today, this lineage is present throughout Europe. It is about 40 percent of the population of Norway. It is present in Finland at around 35 percent of male lineages. In the British Isles, it is between 10 and 22 percent of male lineages. It is between 10 and 11 percent of French and about 18 percent of German male lineages. It is about 4 percent of the male population of Spain, between 2 and 3 percent of the male population of Italy, and about 2 percent of the male population of Greece.

In West Asia, it is present in trace frequencies of less than 1 percent. However, it is about 2 percent of male lineage in Lebanon and about 4 percent of male lineages in Jordan.
    "Pictures from this region"
    M253

"Scandinavia's Sami reindeer hunters are one of the few European peoples still practicing ancient lifestyles like the semi-nomadic one of their Ice Age ancestors."

"Many Finns can trace their lineage to a European man born just before much of the continent was entombed by ice during the Last Glacial Maximum."

"Forty percent of all Norwegians are haplogroup M253. “Founder effects” may have limited genetic diversity among a new population started with few people in a beautiful but rugged land."

"Much of the European landscape was ice-covered 22,000 years ago, and its shrunken population was confined to ice-free refugia. When the ice retreated people of this lineage expanded across Europe."

"The Iberian Peninsula housed an ice-free refugium for people seeking warmer climes during the Last Glacial Maximum. Their descendents are about 4 percent of all Spanish men."

M89 (A bit gigger group, including M253)

The next male ancestor in your ancestral lineage is the man who gave rise to M89, a marker found in 90 to 95 percent of all non-Africans. This man was born around 50,000 years ago in northern Africa or the Middle East.

"Indian children celebrate Holi, a Hindu celebration. Colored powders and liquids mimic flames—and herald the coming of spring."

"An Igorot (“mountaineer” in Tagalog) woman lives in Baguio, Philippines. The Ingorot share the Austronesian language group with peoples living from Taiwan to the South Pacific."

"M89 marked the last major Upper Paleolithic immigration from Africa to Eurasia before climate change separated them for 20,000 years. It is present in 9 percent of India's Dravidian language speakers."

The test also shows me which of the other takes of the test I am closest related to.
    Here are some of their descriptions:
    Relatives

My mother was born in Irkutsk (Syberia) but her mother and her grandmother came there from the area around Moscow. It seems they have lived there for generations but my knowledge doesn't reach further than my grandmother's great-grandmother.
    My mother's family was Lithuanian from Villnius. Both her mother and father were born in Lithuania.
    My most distant maternal ancestor was born in Rovaniemi, Finland ca. 1690. The maternal line has lived there ever since.
    My father's line moved from Germany to Russia when Catherine the Great encouraged immigration from parts of Europe (late 1700s we believe). They settled the Glukstal Villages in the vicinity of the Black Sea, and retained the German language and lifestyles.
    (Isn't this where the Amish and similar groups came from?)

My paternal line is from Skane in Sweden (traceable to the early 1800s) and my maternal line is from Hedemark in Norway (traceable to the late 1700s)
    I’m born an live in Troms, Norway. My mother families come to Norway around 1650 from Denmark, her line goes back to Vilhelm II of Normandy/King William I of England (1027 – 1087). My father’s family has lived I Northern Norway over the past 200 years, some of his ancestors come from Sweden and Finland.
    etc.

This is off course not all of the info, as I do not intend to copy-paste all the text. But some of the more interesting things are here.

All in all I think it's worth the money, seeing as I'm quite interested in these kinds of things. Also it has made more interested in our history and anthropology, and love to see how humans from all over can be related like this.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] ţví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Default Re: So I did the National genographic DNA test. Sharing the results.

This is really interesting, Luna. I'm now tempted to do this myself, to see if I'm Bohemian, Polish, and Russian. How accurate and reliable is this anyway?

Content Emeritus

Well, since it is National Geographic I'd think it is one of the more accurate ones compared to those I know of. It's a part of the bigger and quite ambitious goal of mapping most of the human genome and gets continuously updated. It's also purely for historical and anthropological things, if I can use those words. It does not tell of any inheritable diseases or anything of that nature.

About 660 700 have participated.

You can read more:
    https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/about/

ní ágor réimm mora minn

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

THis is awesome, how much does it cost? And can one set be used on multiple people?(eg my family and friends)

To be honest i would think the einherjar of Trřndelag would be even more Norwegian, but genetics is often a funny thing.

Do you have any known ancestors who are non northern european? Personally i know all my ancestors for about 5-6 generations and then only northern farmers in smaller villages and one swedish family.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    THis is awesome, how much does it cost? And can one set be used on multiple people?(eg my family and friends)
    One set=one person, sadly. Was about 1000kr, so I got it in Christmas.

To be honest i would think the einherjar of Trřndelag would be even more Norwegian, but genetics is often a funny thing.

Do you have any known ancestors who are non northern european? Personally i know all my ancestors for about 5-6 generations and then only northern farmers in smaller villages and one swedish family.
    I have only found Norwegians, and trances of Swedish and Sami in my family. Fathers family have lived about where I live at leats since the 1700's. Mothers family have a lot of people from Northern Norway and Mřre. But mostly from here too.

I like to imagine I am a couple of %'s more South-west Asian because my forefathers brought farming here

ní ágor réimm mora minn

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Luna View Post
    I have only found Norwegians, and trances of Swedish and Sami in my family. Fathers family have lived about where I live at leats since the 1700's. Mothers family have a lot of people from Northern Norway and Mřre. But mostly from here too.

I like to imagine I am a couple of %'s more South-west Asian because my forefathers brought farming here
    When they talk about South east asian they mean arabic people from the middle east yes? Cause central asian people(ancestors of Sami) is in a different branch?

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Very interesting indeed. I am tempted to do one myself now.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Content Emeritus

When they talk about South east asian they mean arabic people from the middle east yes? Cause central asian people(ancestors of Sami) is in a different branch?

ní ágor réimm mora minn

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I know exactly my ancestry, luckily enough, but I say this is a cool test. If I had the money I would do it and send it in.

Also I could find almost no info of what this test would reveal, and how. So I am going to reveal some of the main points of my results to show you in case any of you have thought about doing this yourselves.
    Do they give you access to your raw data?

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    I know exactly my ancestry
    There are almost always surprises when you get your DNA tested and have an admixture analysis done.

EDIT:

The problem with these two numbers is there is a lot of overlap between the two species, but theoretically each allele in an individual has a lineage that traces back to one or the other. So think of these numbers not as your ancestry composition but as your similarity to each species (if they are in fact seperate species), not that it matters much just for fun, but this is Athenaeum.
    Last edited by sumskilz; February 13, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

I refuse to get tested because I fear it would ruin my chances of pretending I have full Anglo-Saxon ancestry. Well I'm mixed as hell in my lineage (I'm an American obviously) but my illusion is properly that my English ancestors were. Of course that's silly, genetics doesn't work that way, blah blah.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

My family line can be traced directly back to 1140 on my dad's side as Swiss Schultheis(es), i.e. Low-ranking nobility. Prior to that there aren't direct connections but we have a pretty good idea.

On my mom's side, all I know is I'm mostly croatian. There's some other stuff mixed in, but I think a DNA test would be good. I can't afford it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    I refuse to get tested because I fear it would ruin my chances of pretending I have full Anglo-Saxon ancestry. Well I'm mixed as hell in my lineage (I'm an American obviously) but my illusion is properly that my English ancestors were. Of course that's silly, genetics doesn't work that way, blah blah.
    There are a limited number of alleles that are typically specific to the British Isles anyway, you'd get a lot of generic Northern European markers. I just checked the data I have from an English guy, his markers are only 27.6% "British". It's actually the genes Anglo-Saxons share with the rest of the Isles that are discernibly unique.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    My family line can be traced directly back to 1140 on my dad's side as Swiss Schultheis(es), i.e. Low-ranking nobility. Prior to that there aren't direct connections but we have a pretty good idea.
    You're just tracing one line though it seems. Statistically speaking, in 1140 80% of Europeans living would be your ancestors, but you only have DNA from some of them.
    Last edited by sumskilz; February 13, 2014 at 04:35 PM.
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

My mother claims I have an Italian, great, great, great grandfather. It would be interesting to find it out. Looking at pictures of my ggg grandmother and my supposed grandfather, I wouldn't be surprised if he is not related
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Do they give you access to your raw data?
    I downloaded (was a voluntary option) a file with 140 000 lines of what my more biology-interested friends said was base pairs from my DNA.

ní ágor réimm mora minn

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    My mother claims I have an Italian, great, great, great grandfather. It would be interesting to find it out. Looking at pictures of my ggg grandmother and my supposed grandfather, I wouldn't be surprised if he is not related
    You'd be able to tell if you have Italian ancestry with a 23andME or FTDNA test. I think you can never fully trust genealogical patrilineages over several generations without DNA to confirm. Although, I traced my patrilineage back 13 generations genealogically and was able to confirm it was accurate by finding two guys whose patrilineal ancestry split off from mine in that same generation and confirming that all our Y-chromosomes match. Would be more difficult in the case of your ggg grandfather since you might not know who to test for the Y chromosome, but Italian markers should show up in your autosomal DNA.

I downloaded (was a voluntary option) a file with 140 000 lines of what my more biology-interested friends said was base pairs from my DNA.
    Ah that's good to hear. I think they didn't used to do that. There is probably some interesting health information in there, if you're you're brave enough to look for it. Although, they use a modified version of the Illumina chip so they may have been careful not to give you any of that.
    Last edited by sumskilz; February 13, 2014 at 05:15 PM.

It really doesn't matter, I have German, Dutch, and Scottish ancestry anyways. I'm just being a bit silly since I find Anglo-Saxon culture very interesting, and I know for a fact that I am mostly English.
    Last edited by Slaytaninc; February 14, 2014 at 01:02 AM.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

There are a limited number of alleles that are typically specific to the British Isles anyway, you'd get a lot of generic Northern European markers. I just checked the data I have from an English guy, his markers are only 27.6% "British". It's actually the genes Anglo-Saxons share with the rest of the Isles that are discernibly unique.

EDIT: You're just tracing one line though it seems. Statistically speaking, in 1140 80% of Europeans living would be your ancestors, but you only have DNA from some of them.
    We traced more than just the SchultheiB line but the SchultheiB line itself goes back farther than all the others because it's better recorded.

EDIT: You're just tracing one line though it seems. Statistically speaking, in 1140 80% of Europeans living would be your ancestors, but you only have DNA from some of them.
    How does that work anyways?
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    How does that work anyways?
    It’s a statistical model, but without getting into all the details, I can explain how it makes sense. That’s about 35 generations back. 35 generations back each person has 34,359,738,368 potential ancestors. Of course we’re all inbred to some degree, so no one actually has that many individual ancestors 35 generations ago, but think about a person of primarily European ancestry having 34.3 billion potential ancestors at a time when Europe had an overall population of less than 120 million. Every European living at that time who has descendants today is almost certainly the ancestor of every living person today who is primarily of European ancestry, and the odds for any particular person back then to have had their line survive is 80%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast