Thread: Cannot begin campaign

Default Cannot begin campaign

Hey lads,

I just installed BI and the 1.6 patch, followed by IB6 and the 6.05 patchfix.

The game starts fine, but if I try to start a single player campaign, it just pops up a dialog requesting "Please select an item from the list". But there's nothing else in the dialog except for a check mark to go back.

Not sure if its related, but upon exiting rome bi, I get a "Script Error in bi/data/world/maps/campaign/barbarian_invasion/descr_strat.txt, at line 28, column 1. Expected start date of campaign or battle.

Line 28 is in the middle of the faction list. The start date isn't for another 5 or 6 lines.

Ramon Gonzales y Garcia's Avatar Nobleza y Valor

Default Re: Cannot begin campaign

can u try this:
    set battle and strategy resolution to 32 bit.
    I remember somebody posting exactly same problem and was able to fix it, but am not 100% sure w/c
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Proud patron of Riothamus, Pompeius Magnus and SeniorBatavianHorse
    If we had gone so far, it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants

Changing to 32 bit doesn't work. It's not even making it into a campaign as it fails to come up with a list of nations to choose from to begin with.

I thought it might just have been that first time play in the preferences, but turning that off hasn't changed the situation either.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri
    Changing to 32 bit doesn't work. It's not even making it into a campaign as it fails to come up with a list of nations to choose from to begin with.

I thought it might just have been that first time play in the preferences, but turning that off hasn't changed the situation either.
    I can only suggest a re-install as I just reinstalled RTW - BI - BI1.6 - IBFD6 - IBFD6.05 and it is working fine.
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

Yeah, curious. That was a fresh install too. It's got to be something with the graphics though - I can't get beyond the quick/custom/historical battles either.

Empedocles's Avatar Domesticus

Why don't you try to change your preferences.txt file and set FIRST_TIME_PLAY to FALSE?

It worked for me.

Diego, from Argentina

Mr Tuna's Avatar Senator

I had that and It was a patch problem.

Not with IBFD though
    Drinking does to life what turning the radio up does to a car's engine problems.

-TnC

i have also had problem with starting campaign............fresh install 3 times now..very frustrating
    previous version is fab if i cannot resolve this issue i will have to go back to it and that would be a shame.................................i do hope somebody out there can help.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................RE INSTALLED FOR THE FOURTH TIME AND NOW IT WORKS................HOORAY
    Last edited by herculianiseniores; October 09, 2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fixed problem

Having the exact same problem too, reinstall fresh bi many times, HELP!

I'm having the same problem as well and I've reinstalled twice and tried both the preferences and graphics suggestions. Perhaps there's some code fix that could be added to fix the error in line 28?

there is NO ERROR in line 28. this error happens because earlier versions of BI (not 1.6) does not recognize commands in 1.6.
    This error is often encountered by
    a) using the wrong BI 1.6 patch (using English patch instead of French for example)
    b) mistakingly thinking the patch was installed, but was actually not installed (this has happened to me - installing to wrong folder)
    c) doing something else while the patch is installed (I dunno why but Total War games are very sensitive to this, I've seen this happen from STW)

so to make sure u have done everything correctly I suggest this
    1)completely uninstall RTW & BI
    2)install RTW
    3)install BI
    4)install the BI 1.6 patch
    5)make sure BI is running properly, start a campaign, make sure it is v1.6
    6)install IBFD7
    7)install IBFD 7.03

-while doing these (especially installing the game, do not do anything else on your PC)
    -to check whether u actually have BI 1.6, start a campaign in vanilla BI (IBFD is a mod switch so u can easily do this) and check for version number
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia

INVASIO BARBARORVM II

dreych83's Avatar Laetus

i got same problem + more...when i wnna do custom battle i just cant play it. i set units click on arrow and i am in previous menu...

what to do...i really have to reinsatall all??? it take a lot of time...

dreych83's Avatar Laetus

hi again.
    i uninstall RTW and BI...and then install all again like Ramon Gonzales y Garcia said, whitout instaling invasium barbrabum. so i just installed RTW and Babrarian Inv., then i patched it up whit 1.6 (whit french version). then i went into game and still same problem: "Please select an item from the list" + i cant play custom battle, it just returs into previous menu.

what to do...?
    i have uninstall game again. So is any patch on internet good?

i think there is somethink wrong whit patch. i didnt went into game when i intsaled barbarian invasion whitout patch, but i am 99% what this is patch problem.

please help!

Hi...im new here and im having the same problem when i try to start a campaing...."select a item from the list" and i alread make the install process 3 times...and nothing changes....someone knows what is wrong?

dreych83's Avatar Laetus

please HELP US!!!
    i have reinstalled for 4th time...i think the problem is whit patch. i installed BI 1.6 and i couldnt play...

help us

just go on descr_strat, at the top of the screen delete options bi then save it. You are ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by rami View Post
    just go on descr_strat, at the top of the screen delete options bi then save it. You are ready to go
    You do realize you're answering a question that was posted over 4 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by rami View Post
    That worked Rami thank you.