Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patch 5.1.4 Released!

Default Re: Patch 5.1.4 Released!

hi sorry just found this thread after posting on others i have installed 5.1 and tried doing 5.1.4 but as soon as i try going into campaign it crashes. i did same installation as 5.1 where am i going wrong? should i have copied and pasted it to same destination as 5.1 "napoleon total war/common/data or pasted on top of 5.1? can anyone advise me plz, many thanks

In the end, NTW is a game for a different period (100 years before!), and even for that period, it was a fairly c rappy effort. Your work has been admirable, but it will never become a good World War 1 game because it was, at the base level, still made by CA.
    Yes, but that's not exactly a constructive opinion. What's your point? That it's not worth making the mod?
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

He's right Sama, lets just take it down. Take it all down

Do i have to drag and drop the patch files into the great war mod folder or anything, because right now its just sitting in my downloads folder?

Quote Originally Posted by georgem13 View Post
    Do i have to drag and drop the patch files into the great war mod folder or anything, because right now its just sitting in my downloads folder?
    You are almost at it. You drop the "data" folder that comes with the 5.1.4 patch on top of the N:TW data folder and let it overwrite all files in it - that is also all the TGW5.1 files which you should have installled the same way prior to installing the patch.
    After this, to launch the game search for the launcher in data/The Great War folder. Run as administrator, chose your mod settings and confirm (tactical - small unit scale, classic - huge unit scale), then use "launcher options" > Alternate Launch Options > 1) Install mod, and wait for confirmation > 2), Launch Game. Enjoy!

Tipp: If you still have your unnmodded vanilla N:TW make a backup of the vanilla "campaigns" folder in the data folder first. Then it's easy to get back to blank vanilla, without having to verify the cache files by Steam.

And: In case you are frequently encountering CTDs some minutes in battle try with custom map "Summer 1914" and play around with graphic settings to see what is possible on your engine without causing ctd.

In response to Alexsander Vasilyevich Suvorov.

My friend apparently worked on Europa Barborum.

Yes, the first day of the Somme was 1 day and not 20 minutes. And you know how many men died? 57,000. You know how many are in one battle max in TGW? Much less than that. And if you hadn't noticed, units lose morale when being shelled. Also, it's not that units climb up to get a better shot, it's that the individual soldiers are more spread out than in Napoleon and Empire and so they end up up there because of the staggered lines. If you want a more realistic end war period experience, play The Great War 1918 for Company of Heroes. Small units wouldn't make sense in a Total War game. The last thing is, this mod will never be 100% historically accurate, and you need to realize that. You seem way to hung up on historical accuracy in a game that will never be able to do it. True dreadnoughts may never be implemented. Want to know why? Because NTW didn't have giant rotating turrets on the ships and so that may be impossible to implement because there is nothing for the team to draw on. But it's still the most fun I've ever had in a Total War game and maybe ever on my computer. Kudos to the TGW team.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr Vasilyevich Suvorov View Post
    While thousands of troops died during these battles, the individual soldiers did not act as recklessly as in the game. They were stricken with terror and only advancing because they felt they had to for various reasons - obligation to their comrades, fear of punishment or being called a coward. If shell-holes and other cover was available, they used it, especially when the shooting started. Soldiers did not stand on breastworks to get a better shot at the enemy unless they were severely shell-shocked and crazy. Suppression fire would keep most men down. The formation-shattering, morale-shattering effect of shelling was also far greater than it is in-game. Many soldiers died, but they did not act in the suicidal way of the game. Vanilla NTW had the same problem. Units often fled after receiving a single volley and a bayonet charge; in the game, they would stand and fight in close combat, which BARELY EVER HAPPENED. The huge casualties of these battles were also inflicted over larger fronts and longer times than in-game. The front of the first day of the Somme was many kilometres long, and the first day lasted...1 day, not 20 minutes.

The suicidal behaviour is more on the defending side than on the attacking side. While attackers lost entire units of men, defenders did not leave their trenches and defensive postions to get a better shot at the enemy. Gunners did NOT charge the enemy lines with knives.

The main problem here is that World War 1 infantry, especially in the later period, operated in many smaller squads, not huge, dense units. Any scale but "tactical" feels very awkward to play. In the end, NTW is a game for a different period (100 years before!), and even for that period, it was a fairly c rappy effort. Your work has been admirable, but it will never become a good World War 1 game because it was, at the base level, still made by CA.

I've actually had all TW games uninstalled for several days, and I doubt that I will ever play them again, except possibly Europa Barbarorum for nostalgia's sake.
    mate i post you a video check that battle they didn't cover cause there nothing to cover from bullets and artillery shells :/

Quote Originally Posted by crusader50 View Post
    mate i post you a video check that battle they didn't cover cause there nothing to cover from bullets and artillery shells :/
    check it at Youtube video called Legends of the Fall War Scene Battle of Ypres

guys i would like to fix something at the upcomming patch, you see WW1 officers (Battalion) had a whistle with them the allies got the Bobby whistle or Broad Arrow whistle ( english) , the germans got the German Bakelite Whistle / when Charge --> = whistle ( i think is great idea what's your opinion ? )

guys i would like to fix something at the upcomming patch, you see WW1 officers (Battalion) had a whistle with them the allies got the Bobby whistle or Broad Arrow whistle ( english) , the germans got the German Bakelite Whistle / when Charge --> = whistle ( i think is great idea what's your opinion ? )
    Like if instead of hearing "Charge" or the language equivalent when you double click an enemy unit with melee mode you hear a whistle? I second that.

Already added in this submod for 5.1.3 ...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...a-s_Sound_v5-0

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianReject View Post
    Like if instead of hearing "Charge" or the language equivalent when you double click an enemy unit with melee mode you hear a whistle? I second that.
    no no you will hear the charge from soldiers after officers whistle it's more realistic i think check that video Youtube : Joyeux Noel - l'attaque. Oral Histoire des Arts Paul Langevin.VOB

Not from artillery shells. But shell holes provided cover from bullets for small squads of men.

On the largest scale, a Great War mod battle could involve 10,000 troops, of whom about 6,000 may die within about 20-30 minutes of fighting. This is not to scale. On the "tactical" scale, casualties are far more appropriate. Great War troops did not usually fight in large, Napoleonic blocks, and even the loose formation is still a bit tight for the late period.
    A message to CA:

Either care about history or improve modding support.

And that is realistic. If you walk 6000 men towards machine guns, they will be cut down in droves.

And that is realistic. If you walk 6000 men towards machine guns, they will be cut down in droves.
    Yes, if they march in Napoleonic blocks as they do now. No, if they spread out even a little and try to use shell holes for cover. Even in the early period, units did not advance in "line infantry" formation very often. While players can spread their men, the AI usually packs them close and gets them slaughtered. In my Belgium campaign, I won battles by using loose formation with my infantry while the Germans used tight formation, taking many more casualties and losing to armies half their size. Light infantry in the vanilla game can spread - why do AI infantry not do this by default?
    A message to CA:

Light infantry in the vanilla game can spread - why do AI infantry not do this by default?
    This! (@ CA)

Because regular rifle infantry is still line infantry from vanilla and the AI doesn't realize the option is there. Even if they're spread out in light infantry mode, they'll be crushed by a couple of machine guns. I attacked all of my Royal Marines in light infantry mode at three machine gun bunkers and they were slaughtered in droves. Which is realistic. Units can't take cover in shell holes because it isn't programmed at all in the original game. Now if the holes were part of the map, that would be a different story. Which reminds me, are you guys able to implement your own custom maps as campaign battle maps?

Because regular rifle infantry is still line infantry from vanilla and the AI doesn't realize the option is there. Even if they're spread out in light infantry mode, they'll be crushed by a couple of machine guns. I attacked all of my Royal Marines in light infantry mode at three machine gun bunkers and they were slaughtered in droves. Which is realistic. Units can't take cover in shell holes because it isn't programmed at all in the original game. Now if the holes were part of the map, that would be a different story. Which reminds me, are you guys able to implement your own custom maps as campaign battle maps?
    Machine guns chopping down infantry on open ground is fair; the player's infantry chopping down the AI's infantry because the AI insists on using Napoleonic formations and frontally charging defenses is not. Obviously multiplayer would fix this, but issues still remain with spotting, artillery units reforming despite ditching and losing their guns and the loss of an artillery officer causing all artillery to rout.
    A message to CA:

Machine guns chopping down infantry on open ground is fair; the player's infantry chopping down the AI's infantry because the AI insists on using Napoleonic formations and frontally charging defenses is not. Obviously multiplayer would fix this, but issues still remain with spotting, artillery units reforming despite ditching and losing their guns and the loss of an artillery officer causing all artillery to rout.
    man in which difficulty you play the game ? the AI attacks on tight formation only when attacking to you ,when you attack to AI he use the same defencive method with you just take cover behind trenches and wait for your army to attack

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast